Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ohhh... I like that kayak! Nice finish.. I know what you mean about it takes time... I still have to steal away for only about 3 hours per week to make any progress at all.

I still got your rims... all tucked away in my garage. It doesn't look like you have much room in the storage? They would make a nice "table" for the dish heater....
Marc

Old 04-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
That dish heater has been Pam's entertainment lately. Seems like Alzheimers is working hard on her right now and she's really fallen off in the last few weeks. She's been really anxious in the afternoons, so I've been taking her over to the shop for an hour or so most days just to try to keep her busy. I've been putting my epoxy containers in front of that heater to get the stuff warm enough to use on the kayak. Every time I turn my back, she picks them up and moves them. That process gets repeated about 50 times in a couple hours. She thinks it's great fun....me, I'm not so sure.

Glad the rims are still with you, Marc, 'cause you're right, the storage is getting full. That's the project for today, to unload the whole thing and reload it with a little more order.

cheers,
steve

Old 04-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Particularly in front, I don't think there's any chance my old subfloor will come out in anything whole enough to use for a template for the new floor. I made cardboard templates for the front and rear today. Somebody please remind me to add in the width of the C channel before I cut plywood. For some reason, the C channel on the front is 1.5" wide, but in the rear, it's 1.75".

Have been pretty sure my inside front endcap was fiberglass and that got confirmed today as I took off the panels below it and saw a raw fiberglass layup. I haven't noticed this on other trailers near my vintage and wish they hadn't done it, especially after seeing Marcus' inside whale tale pictures. At least I've got 13 nice panels inside and out in the rear.

Check out the crazy floor "repair" some PO did. I guess if the floor was toast under the gaucho it was ok since you didn't see it.

It's finally time to start ripping old subfloor out.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010095.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	79098   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010105.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	79099  

Name:	P1010106.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	79100  
Old 04-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Steve,

Keep up the work. Once you pass me in progress I'll get in gear on the 53 again

Steve
Old 04-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Particularly in front, I don't think there's any chance my old subfloor will come out in anything whole enough to use for a template for the new floor. I made cardboard templates for the front and rear today. Somebody please remind me to add in the width of the C channel before I cut plywood. For some reason, the C channel on the front is 1.5" wide, but in the rear, it's 1.75".
I don't remember whether you're planning a shell-off or a shell-on? For a shell-on, I'd recommend cutting the subfloor a little short, to leave yourself some room to maneuver, maybe .25" even up to .5" all the way around. There will still be plenty of c-channel on the subfloor, and the extra room will make your life about gazillion times easier when trying to position the sheets. If you're doing a shell-off, then the subfloor can be the full original width with no major issues.

Quote:
Have been pretty sure my inside front endcap was fiberglass and that got confirmed today as I took off the panels below it and saw a raw fiberglass layup. I haven't noticed this on other trailers near my vintage and wish they hadn't done it, especially after seeing Marcus' inside whale tale pictures. At least I've got 13 nice panels inside and out in the rear.
How odd that one would be fiberglass and one would be metal? I didn't know they did that. Well, as you see, you can always create a segmented metal one of your own.

Quote:
It's finally time to start ripping old subfloor out.

cheers,
steve
Yes, that's the FUN part...

Looking good, keep it up!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Steve, if you're going to wait on me passing your progress, you can easily plan to take a while off.

Thanks, Marcus, for the tip on sizing the floor panels slightly small. I'm hoping to continue as a shell on, but of course that's still dependent on the condition of the frame. Hope I can leave it on as I'm working outside in a storage lot.

Ever since I noticed that endcap, I've been going back and back to Carlos' thread, but yours has sure complicated that idea.

Is one of the symptoms of aluminitus that your trailer keeps looking better and better on the outside, even if you've done absolutely nothing to it?

cheers,
steve
Old 04-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Steve, if you're going to wait on me passing your progress, you can easily plan to take a while off.

Thanks, Marcus, for the tip on sizing the floor panels slightly small. I'm hoping to continue as a shell on, but of course that's still dependent on the condition of the frame. Hope I can leave it on as I'm working outside in a storage lot.

Ever since I noticed that endcap, I've been going back and back to Carlos' thread, but yours has sure complicated that idea.

Is one of the symptoms of aluminitus that your trailer keeps looking better and better on the outside, even if you've done absolutely nothing to it?

cheers,
steve
Ha! Yes, I think so.

Carlos is an artist, and Frank is a true craftsman.

I'm just a hack, but it was fun and I like the way it turned out. I re-read all of their threads/blogs, plus Uwe's, Jordan's, and a few others, on a regular basis. I find my inspiration there, and then I do my best to adapt to my own skills (and budget!).

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Do we all worry about our frames until we see them?

I do, I have. I've worried about it since I first saw the trailer. Not losing sleep kind of worry, but still. . . .

Happy today. I've got big sections of the subfloor ripped up now. Not sure if Marcus is right that this is the fun part, but it is going pretty well. Can't believe how good this 52 year old frame looks. Some surface rust, mostly paint, and just one small area of heavier rust on the streetside rear quarter.

My trailer has all the plywood joints right on the crossmembers with the elevator bolt really going through neither piece but just clamping. Small metal inserts hammered in to hold the panels together. Not sure I would have done it this way and pretty sure I won't put it back together this way.

I've got to start thinking seriously about tanks and axles now.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4290020.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	79492   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010030.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	79493  

Name:	P5010028.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	79494   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010022.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	79495  

Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
I'm old enough to know better.

I was 5 years old when my trailer was made. I know my parents had a first aid kit in the glove box of the car. Not me.

When you take care of someone with Alzheimers, structure is more important than anything. Pam copes OK with things she understands, so if our daily routine includes an hour or so at the trailer, it works ok: I get some work in and she's not back on the boat, pacing back and forth. The thing is, you can't easily change the routine: you have to park in the same spot, go only into stores you normally go into and always use the same entry door.

So, I'm messing around with stripping the rear endcap, my good one, the 13 panel one, and not the ugly fiberglass one in front. Subfloor is up and I've got pieces of the old floor placed to stand on. It's now after May 1, so my uniform is shorts and flip flops and a T shirt, no matter the weather. I forgot to bring real shoes along to work in (remember, with Alzheimers, it's the routine: I forgot them and therefore cannot go back and get them). The belly pan is still on. I slipped off the plywood, banged a frame rail, but the belly pan actually held me up (I'm large). Everything was cool, so I kept on working.

When I'm done, I look at my foot for the first time and it's covered in blood. My heal is bleeding, not bad, but it won't stop. No first aid kit, no bandaid, and we're at a storage lot. How can I get to a drugstore or grocery store and get a bandaid without leaving a trail of blood?

Blue masking tape and a bit of paper towel works really well.

Meanwhile, my 24 gallon ABS fresh tanks arrived, they actually fit in my tiny car, the grey tank is coming, Colin is discussing an axle with me, and I've got a welder lined up. Good stuff all.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5060040.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	79839   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5060042.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	79840  

Name:	P5060044.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	79841   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5060045.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	79842  

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Woo Hoo I See Grass!!

Ok, so I've still got wheelwells to get out, elevator bolts to break off, and a bunch of wire brushing, but I see grass when I open my door now. I'm not too far away from the end of the ripping apart stage and that makes me happy. I really look forward to doing constructive stuff instead of destructive stuff.

Since I'm parked in the grass, I decided to leave the belly pan on until the subfloor was out, so that I could clean out the dirt and wet insulation and deserted mouse houses from the top. Most of the belly looks pretty good and I left about a foot of border from the rivet line and cut it off from underneath with electric shears.

My grey water tank arrived, too. It's ABS, 48" x 33" x 8", and 33 gallons. My fresh tanks showed up with the UPS label stuck on the outside of the bare tank. They are fine and I expected them shipped that way. A plug for Icon Technologies on the grey, though, as it was in a padded cardboard container, really well done. They shipped very quickly too, considering a few days getting through US customs.

The storage unit with all the Airstream stuff is getting pretty full. Really look forward to getting some of it back in the trailer.

Legomatic chairs make excellent stand for kayak photo ops. Kayak hull is painted, varnish on deck to go, and then it's done. Fulltime on Island Girl then.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5160052.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	80338   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5160054.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	80339  

Name:	P5160055.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	80340   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5150051.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	80341  

Name:	P5160056.JPG
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	80342  

Old 05-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
I am a Failure

I'm about at that point that the pic with the beer and the gutted trailer was due to be done. Got the wheel wells removed and that pretty well made the gutting complete. I had the beer (a really good local one, Boundary Bay IPA) and I even remembered the camera. Had my chair in the grass inside the trailer. It was all set up.

But, I'm just too slow for my camera's self timer and there wasn't anyone around to take the picture. The shot, as you can see, was a total failure. The beer was good.

Just some cleanup on the frame, functional tail lights, and she'll be ready to travel the 5 miles or so to the welder. Tanks are all here and the axle is on order. Most likely the axle will take long enough to get here that the inside rear end cap will actually get stripped.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5260061.JPG
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	80914   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260069.JPG
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	80915  

Old 06-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
During the winter our shorepower went out on our sailboat, our home. I suspected the cord or inlet and that was correct--they both needed changing. It was winter, though, and I didn't really want to be without shorepower any longer than necessary, so I just put the new cord on and vowed to put the new stainless Marinco inlet on just as soon as it warmed up a bit (like a few months ago ). I looked at that nice shiny inlet all winter, though, and when I sent my old water fill to Ryan for his '59, I sort of plugged the hole in the trailer with the inlet meant for the boat. Yesterday, just as the breadmaker finished it's work, the power went out again. I got to buy another new inlet and as a reward for putting this job off, I got to buy another new cord. Hate it when I'm stupid.

Colin says the axle was shipped last week, so it should arrive soon. In the interim I've been just doing little tasks. All the lights are now LED, thanks Reg, and the wiring is new as is an umbilical and socket. I've been carrying on with the polishing of the rear interior endcap and while not nearly done, looks a lot better.

Got carried away with the polisher today and made a quick pass over the door within a door. Pam was still happy sitting in the car and watching me work, so that door got started, even though I know I should wait until much later to start polishing the exterior. Ryan and Norm's work on their respective '59's made me do it.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6100076.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	82754   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190091.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	82755  

Name:	P6220096.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	82756   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6220094.JPG
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	82757  

Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Yeah, yeah, Ryan and Norm made me do it. Looks good Steve. A little polishing can't hurt if your making forward progress on the mechanicals at the same time. I wish I was doing more than just polishing. I'm off this week and just working around the house, but I have to finish my yearly house maintenance chores (siding repairs, etc.) before turning to the trailer.
Norm
Old 06-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
I know the feeling, Norm. Big guilt trip for me this year in neglecting the boat and spending too much time on the trailer. Usually about the first to get varnish on in the spring and I didn't get a coat on until last week.

Polishing is pretty well instant gratification.

cheers,
steve

Tags
1957, 1957 caravanner