Old 04-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #337
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
I do have a question for you. Where did you get the exterior vent fitting for your fresh water tanks? I need something like that for my '58 Overlander. I'd also like to see how you connected the vent tube to your fresh water tanks. Did you use a reducer for this?
Most of the stuff for the water tank vent came from West Marine. The vent fitting is this one and I used reinforced vinyl tubing from there too. They even had the 5/8" to 3/8" inch reducer as well. My fresh tanks are stock Valterra ABS tanks and they'll be individually selectable, so one vent can work with both tanks, one line T'd off. I used the Valterra fitting kit for the tanks and it comes with a 1 1/4" barb for the fill line and a couple of 3/8" barbs for the feed and the vent.

Figured all that would end up being a hassle, but it was no problem, but it makes it easy having a West Marine a quarter mile from where I live.

Hope that helps.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #338
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Most of the stuff for the water tank vent came from West Marine. The vent fitting is this one and I used reinforced vinyl tubing from there too. They even had the 5/8" to 3/8" inch reducer as well. My fresh tanks are stock Valterra ABS tanks and they'll be individually selectable, so one vent can work with both tanks, one line T'd off. I used the Valterra fitting kit for the tanks and it comes with a 1 1/4" barb for the fill line and a couple of 3/8" barbs for the feed and the vent.

Figured all that would end up being a hassle, but it was no problem, but it makes it easy having a West Marine a quarter mile from where I live.

Hope that helps.

-steve
Perfect, thanks Steve. You can sure get some great stuff from West Marine for your Airstream.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #339
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Nice work, Steve. From your use of red and blue pipe, I'm guessing you have a water heater too. Do you plan on making a bypass for that, for winter storage?
Ummm, forgetful in the describing, but not quite as much in the doing. Yep, it has a bypass installed, just waiting for the Pex to get there. Thanks, Aage.

-steve

Old 05-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #340
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Wrapping up the sewing

We've got the curtains all sewn and installed. They have made a huge change in the trailer.

Since Jim had his machine in the trailer, we decided to do a cover for the mattress with Sunbrella. That was a pretty big and sometimes scary project, but we're both happy with the way it turned out. We have excess curtain fabric, so we'll make up a few throw pillows for the mattress with that.

And, in a measure of just how overconfident I'm getting with sewing, I bought an old Pfaff 130 machine on eBay with the idea that I'll make my own awning and outside window covers. That may or may not turn out to be a good idea.

On the plumbing front, the sewing has given me a good break from it again. Made a mistake in the galley by sliding the cabinet over to give me more access room. At least for me, the only way it can be designed is with everything in place. It can still mostly be assembled outside to give the crimper room, but I should have left the cabinet alone. At least it's easy to cut the copper crimps off and they're low cost.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000014.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	129111   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000017.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	129112  

Name:	P1000022.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	129113  

Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #341
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Nice work Steve, the color from the curtains is great!
Doug

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #342
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Gas Plumbing and Water Plumbing

I still hate plumbing, but it's almost over. Fill lines for the two tanks and the sink drain remain to be done with the water. The pics show the layout in the galley with a few ball valves instead of check valves. The low point is right at the water heater and using the heater bypass, I'm able to get away with a single drain line for the system.

Double flares have been keeping me busy for a week or so. I've been lying under the trailer on rain and mud soaked cardboard surrounded by the state animal of western Washington, the slug. I put in shutoff valves for each of the four gas appliances. The propane system is all hooked up now, but the tubing still needs to be secured to the frame. I'd never done the double flares before, so it was scary turning the gas on this afternoon after the last connection was made. Had a couple of joints that needed another pull on the wrench and one just plain crummy flare that evaded my quality control and had to be replaced. Even though we've had temporary gas lines run for the heater for 2 years, it was still pretty cool to fire up the stove for the first time.

And, despite the rain, polishing has begun. Weather looks good for the next few days, so I'm planning on getting some more compounding done.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000037.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	130061   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000038.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	130062  

Name:	P1000042.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	130063   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000043.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	130064  

Name:	P1000045.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	130065  

Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #343
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Steve

For somebody that hates plumbing you have done a first class job.

The polished area at the rear looks great! A nice contrast with the blue sky.

Dan
Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #344
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Fill lines for the two tanks and the sink drain remain to be done with the water. cheers,
steve
We are seriously neck-and-neck Steve. I need to install the fill and vent for the fresh water tank after we get the dinette installed this weekend.

I also have have to run my vent lines for the gray tanks and black tank.

I may need to do some redesign on my fresh water plumbing this summer to make sure I can drain it properly for winterizing.

Norm
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #345
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Beautiful work, Steve. I actually enjoyed the plumbing, and I am appreciating the heck out of the work you've done.

And the rest of the interior is beautiful. Keep it up, you're not far off now.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #346
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Steve

For somebody that hates plumbing you have done a first class job.

The polished area at the rear looks great! A nice contrast with the blue sky.

Dan
Thanks, Dan. We've had an unbelieveable 2 days in a row of sun with maybe two more coming. Going to be a lot of sunburn in the Pacific Northwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
We are seriously neck-and-neck Steve. I need to install the fill and vent for the fresh water tank after we get the dinette installed this weekend.

I also have have to run my vent lines for the gray tanks and black tank.

I may need to do some redesign on my fresh water plumbing this summer to make sure I can drain it properly for winterizing.

Norm
Yup, I forgot about the gray vent. Fitting is in, hole in the floor cut, but I still have to cut a scary hole in the top.

I got my fresh water fills out of the bargain bin at West Marine and I was happy to actually save some money, but they are 1 1/2" and the tank has 1 1/4" fittings, so I'll wind up spending the money I saved doing a silly reduction in the fill lines. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Beautiful work, Steve. I actually enjoyed the plumbing, and I am appreciating the heck out of the work you've done.

And the rest of the interior is beautiful. Keep it up, you're not far off now.

-Marcus
Thanks Marcus! Norm and I are both pretty close, but I'll bet he feels like I do: there are still about a thousand little things still to do.

Best thing about the gas plumbing is that tomorrow the fridge will be able to run on gas. The boat has a fridge, but no freezer, so it'll be nice having it. Being able to keep ice cream will be a luxury we haven't had for many years.

Polishing with the compounder and F7 continues. Still amazes me how easily that 50 year old aluminum shines.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000047.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	130142   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000048.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	130143  

Old 05-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #347
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1971 27' Overlander
2004 25' Safari
Jourdanton , Texas
Inspirational

Steve,

Looking at your work makes me more eager to get on with the retrieval of our 57 Caravanner from Anchorage this summer.

We plan to complete the trip by Aug 1 and then get on with the work. Your well documented work with be a great reference.

Jim
Old 05-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #348
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks Jim. I think we have a great model and a great year. They're pretty sweet trailers.

Stop by on your way back with yours. We're right on the border.

-steve

Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #349
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Steve,
You have a very great thread documenting some fabulous quality. I'm about to start doing some pex plumbing today. Your posts on plumbing are very helpful. Thanks for sharing all your great work here.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #350
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
I still hate plumbing, but it's almost over. Fill lines for the two tanks and the sink drain remain to be done with the water. The pics show the layout in the galley with a few ball valves instead of check valves. The low point is right at the water heater and using the heater bypass, I'm able to get away with a single drain line for the system.

Double flares have been keeping me busy for a week or so. I've been lying under the trailer on rain and mud soaked cardboard surrounded by the state animal of western Washington, the slug. I put in shutoff valves for each of the four gas appliances. The propane system is all hooked up now, but the tubing still needs to be secured to the frame. I'd never done the double flares before, so it was scary turning the gas on this afternoon after the last connection was made. Had a couple of joints that needed another pull on the wrench and one just plain crummy flare that evaded my quality control and had to be replaced. Even though we've had temporary gas lines run for the heater for 2 years, it was still pretty cool to fire up the stove for the first time.

And, despite the rain, polishing has begun. Weather looks good for the next few days, so I'm planning on getting some more compounding done.

cheers,
steve
All of your plumbing and gas lines look great. At work here we run miles of copper gas lines every year and have never heard of double flairs? but it all looks good.
The shine is coming along good also! Better keep your trailer locked up, it's a real eye catcher

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1957, 1957 caravanner