Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #295
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Love that fridge vent! I think it is common to work for hours and seemingly get next to nothing done, common for me at least and feels better to know others suffer from the same malady.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #296
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Love that fridge vent! I think it is common to work for hours and seemingly get next to nothing done, common for me at least and feels better to know others suffer from the same malady.
Lately I've just been skipping the working for hours part, and going straight to the getting nothing done part. Leaves me a lot more time for drinking beer.

Steve, the work looks great, even if you are resorting to single-use clecoes.

(If truth were told, I've used a few myself. Don't tell Frank)

-Marcus

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Lately I've just been skipping the working for hours part, and going straight to the getting nothing done part. Leaves me a lot more time for drinking beer.
-Marcus
I will admit to practicing that technique, too, Marcus. Takes a lot of practice to perfect, though.

The original wardrobe was a huge hanging locker. I really like the Elfa Bins that I used in the cabinet between the recliners and the plan has been to use them in part of the wardrobe as well. The bins are on sale in January, so I waited until last month to get 4 more of the platinum mesh drawers. The last couple of days Iíve been dividing the wardrobe and making the hangers for the bins.

Lots of finish work still to go on them before theyíre done, but I think theyíll work well with lots of storage that can be used in several different ways.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	122301   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2140717.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	122302  

Name:	P2140720.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	122303  

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #298
1 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Santa Barbara , California
Just finished reading all the posts. Great Journey you have been on, great job with the work, and especially all the tips and documentation. I've just purchased a 1957 Caravan in original condition and I too come from a boat building background, so we share similar tendencies. I restored a 1950 Boles Aero 15 years ago (pre internet) and am absolutely thrilled at the resources now available to us all. Keep up the good work, Sully
Old 03-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumillenium View Post
Just finished reading all the posts. Great Journey you have been on, great job with the work, and especially all the tips and documentation. I've just purchased a 1957 Caravan in original condition and I too come from a boat building background, so we share similar tendencies. I restored a 1950 Boles Aero 15 years ago (pre internet) and am absolutely thrilled at the resources now available to us all. Keep up the good work, Sully
Hey Sully,

Welcome to the forums. This place and all the great resources available elsewhere make the job really easy.

Start a thread (if you haven't yet) on your Caravanner and get some pictures up.

cheers,
steve

Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #300
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Wind and Rain

It seems like weíve had rain and wind nonstop for a month. I know itís really not that bad, but it seems like it. The boat has been heeled over in the wind and gloomy and dark down below. Pam continues to slowly get worse and I still try to get her off the boat for awhile each day, but itís a big effort getting her on and off as she just about canít walk anymore. If you know anything about sailboats, think bosunís chair. So, this morning, even though I had our caregiver coming to give me a break, I was dark and down and gloomy and depressed, mostly from the weather.

As far as trailer work goes, things are pretty good. Having to work slowly and deliberately as Iím in one of those stages where itís easy to make stupid mistakes and I have little patience for myself on that stuff. But, itís almost magical the way the trailer is coming together after all this time. So many things Iíve thought about and planned for during the last two years are actually in the trailer now and they mostly look and work like I wanted. Thatís way cool.

Outside, Iíve got the louvered panel for the fridge air intake installed. Louvered panel came from Fergie's Custom Louvers and I used the Vintage Style Drip Caps from VTS. Fergieís louver polished up nice and easy, but Steveís drip cap was a pain. I knew it came white and need to be stripped, but it didnít stripóeven Aircraft Paint Remover didnít touch the finish. Only sanding got it down to bare aluminum and it was a lot of work. It was also too long but that was expected and an easy fix. I used nutplates and machine screws to fasten the louvered panel after making up some C channel to reinforce the huge hole I cut in the trailer.

Chris, Aluminium Idler, put up a post in his blog about using a torch to heat and bend his door back into shape. I used the same technique after his inspiration to put a huge bend in a straight piece of trim for the bathroom entry sill.

Today I worked on the upper piece to that bathroom door and on the curved top for the former vanity cabinet just forward of the bathroom. That little cabinet top has a really sharp curve on it and I could not get the usual 1/8Ē Baltic Birch to make the bend no matter what I tried. I ended up using a couple pieces of 1/16Ē Aircraft Birch laminated together to get it done.

But back to the wind and rain. . . I worked about half the day on those two projects above and decided to spend the afternoon sitting and reading in front of the fire in the heater. Iím parked in a storage lot which doesnít sound very pretty, but Island Girl is in the back on the grass with lots of trees around and a couple of eagles often overhead. The trailer doesnít heel in the wind like the boat and the rain sounds really soothing on the aluminum. And nine Caravanner windows are much better than tiny portholes. My gloom was pretty well gone.

-steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3050734.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	124316   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3070734.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	124317  

Name:	P3070735.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	124318   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3080737.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	124319  

Name:	P3120738.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	124320   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3120740.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	124321  

Name:	P2280733.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	124322  

Old 03-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #301
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Steve.. you finish work is BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE the curved wood... excellent work. I'm also impressed that the aluminum trim took that bend around the shower stall...

I know what you mean about this doom and gloom... we returned from Maui 2 weeks ago.. my glow of happiness is almost gone with this weather... bummer.

It's funny that VTS sells those caps white... what on an AS is white?

I'm sending you some virtual strength and sunshine right now...
Take care..
Marc
Old 03-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #302
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Steve, Everything is looking great, i really like the curved finish on the shower pan. Thanks for all the pictures, I hope the weather gives you a break soon.
Doug

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #303
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I am sorry to hear about the struggles you face daily, but delighted to listen to how you accomplish joy from despair!! You are an inspiration to any of us who face unforeseen changes and challenges in Life. The image of you in front of the "fire" in the Airstream on a damp day remains in my mind :-)
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #304
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Steve, you are right, the gray skies for much of the day can sure make getting started on the trailer a tough decision. But I find once I'm in the shop and the flourescents finally warm up enough to shed some light, and I get into the trailer and get a radio going and get thinking about what needs to be done, I ALMOST forget the bliss of palm trees, sand, and the thoughts of turning the A/C on that we were forced to endure while in AZ. The trip home was ugly because we both knew we had just left wonderful weather for drip and dry stuff, and also all the work we had created for ourselves re-thinking the way we have certain parts of our trailer done.

When we laid ours out we had a lot of ideas built up from years of camping and also seeing how others had done their rigs, but after spending more than 2 weeks at one time in the trailer, we've learned that 2 people and a spoiled rotten cat need things done a bit differently. I have to say though that we are having fun doing it, once we get started.

And we don't have the hurdles you do with Pam needing the attention, and for you there is seldom a break from it. We often forget that she may have the disease but it is impacting both of you significantly. Our hearts go out to both of you.

Your trailer is really coming along nicely. I am excited about seeing it. With the cost of fuel well over the $5 mark here in South Surrey, the trip over the line for fuel is even more easy to justify. We often tie that to breakfast at Big Al's, so yeah, we spend what we saved (and more) eating out, but we figure it nets out in the end regardless.

Greg is starting slowly to work on his, or will be shortly once his home reno's are done, and he and I will have to arrange to pop over to see your handiwork. When the time comes I'll PM you for a way to contact you directly to arrange a time. Probably going to be toward the end of March or early April.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #305
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Steve, your Airstream is looking great. Impressive craftmanship.

I know what you mean about the weather. We lived in Bellingham for 3 years when I was in the Navy and left in 2004. We loved the summers but hated living there the rest of the year.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #306
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
It's funny that VTS sells those caps white... what on an AS is white?

I'm sending you some virtual strength and sunshine right now...
Take care..
Marc
Thanks, Marc! I think those drip caps in white are the only source that Steve has. There's a review from Uwe on the product page mentioning the need to sand the finish off, so I'm not the only one. Other than that, they're nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
Steve, Everything is looking great, i really like the curved finish on the shower pan. Thanks for all the pictures, I hope the weather gives you a break soon.
Doug
Thanks Doug, spring should be here by July. Curved wood on the shower pan is a silly project. Laminate one ply of birch each day for about 7 days--seems like nothing is getting done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
I am sorry to hear about the struggles you face daily, but delighted to listen to how you accomplish joy from despair!! You are an inspiration to any of us who face unforeseen changes and challenges in Life. The image of you in front of the "fire" in the Airstream on a damp day remains in my mind :-)
Rae
Thanks Rae. Lots of people have bigger problems than we do. I know you've had loss recently too. Pam is comfortable and happy and unaware that anything is wrong, so it's ok. I do like my little fireplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Steve, you are right, the gray skies for much of the day can sure make getting started on the trailer a tough decision. But I find once I'm in the shop and the flourescents finally warm up enough to shed some light, and I get into the trailer and get a radio going and get thinking about what needs to be done, I ALMOST forget the bliss of palm trees, sand, and the thoughts of turning the A/C on that we were forced to endure while in AZ. The trip home was ugly because we both knew we had just left wonderful weather for drip and dry stuff, and also all the work we had created for ourselves re-thinking the way we have certain parts of our trailer done.

When we laid ours out we had a lot of ideas built up from years of camping and also seeing how others had done their rigs, but after spending more than 2 weeks at one time in the trailer, we've learned that 2 people and a spoiled rotten cat need things done a bit differently. I have to say though that we are having fun doing it, once we get started.

And we don't have the hurdles you do with Pam needing the attention, and for you there is seldom a break from it. We often forget that she may have the disease but it is impacting both of you significantly. Our hearts go out to both of you.

Your trailer is really coming along nicely. I am excited about seeing it. With the cost of fuel well over the $5 mark here in South Surrey, the trip over the line for fuel is even more easy to justify. We often tie that to breakfast at Big Al's, so yeah, we spend what we saved (and more) eating out, but we figure it nets out in the end regardless.

Greg is starting slowly to work on his, or will be shortly once his home reno's are done, and he and I will have to arrange to pop over to see your handiwork. When the time comes I'll PM you for a way to contact you directly to arrange a time. Probably going to be toward the end of March or early April.
Thanks Barry, much appreciated. Knew you guys were heading home and hoping the trip wouldn't be too bad.

Anytime you and Greg are down, come on over. Pam and I are over at the trailer just about every afternoon. Just wait until the door handle is back from the chrome plater--I look like real trailer trash right now with a vice grip door knob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Steve, your Airstream is looking great. Impressive craftmanship.

I know what you mean about the weather. We lived in Bellingham for 3 years when I was in the Navy and left in 2004. We loved the summers but hated living there the rest of the year.
Really don't mind it, Mike, just sometimes. That contrast between the light in the trailer and the dark in the boat is just amazing.

Really appreciate the kind words, everybody. It's a tough time with Pam, but I've known it was coming for around twelve years now. With Alzheimer's, you sorta mourn as you go along. Just want her to be able to leave as peacefully as she can, whenever that turns out to be.

And, there's lots more to do on the trailer, like the two P's I've been putting off--plumbing and polishing.

cheers,
steve

Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #307
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
A Toaster for My Toaster

Got a package in the mail a couple of weeks ago that I wasnít expecting and inside was a wonderful old toaster for Island Girl from Pamís sister. Itís perfect!! Thanks, Barb.

As you can also see, the laminate for the countertops is going in. Had our caregiver today and I didnít want Pam with me when I did the stinky gluing, so it was a good day for it. Ran out of time with one piece still to go, but thatís OK.

The entry for the bathroom has been an ongoing project, laminating the upper and lower parts, one piece of Baltic birch at a time. Itís not much different than the original, just a smaller opening and more curves, but Iím happy with the way it looks.

And the old vanity with its curved top is morphing into the new computer station. That curve was a tough one.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3190772.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	124910   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3190774.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	124911