Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravanner > 1952-1960 Caravanner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #21
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
OMG love your new Island Girl, I saw her on Craig's list and dreamed a little but I see she has a good home and will be well taken care of. Hope to see at a Rally some day.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
End Caps and Marvel Refridgerators

Got some good removal time in today. Got the gaucho out, many of the tiles up forward, cabinet doors. She's parked outside and hasn't had a lock, so I was happy to get a new deadbolt installed today after getting a lock on the hitch earlier in the week. An old floor repair and soft plywood by the old pressure water tank, much of the subfloor is quite soft, but the bits of the frame I've seen from above still have paint on them. I'll try to get the belly pan dropped in a week or so and then I'll have a better idea of what I've got for a frame.

Still gawking at things and I'm wondering about end caps in these years. I've clearly got 13 panels in the rear end cap, but the front one is seamless--is it fiberglass? Looked at RJ Dial's photo's of the various '57 models and it looks like a couple of them might be like mine, but most show the 13 panels (or 7 later in the year). Anyone have any knowledge about what determined the differences?

Barry had mentioned seeing an article about changing a 110 volt Marvel fridge to run on propane and coincidentally I managed to track that down to RJ Dial as well. Found that old post in which he had gotten the Marvel's guts taken out and replaced by an absorption gas/electric unit. I emailed RJ about it and he said if he were to do it again, he'd be more inclined to try to mount a more modern unit behind the Marvel door. That's likely what I'll try to do later on in the process. And Marc, I did get in touch with the repair guy in Everett and he had some good input as well--if there's a will there's a way, he said. We'll find out if the will is strong enough.

cheers,
steve
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post

Barry had mentioned seeing an article about changing a 110 volt Marvel fridge to run on propane and coincidentally I managed to track that down to RJ Dial as well. Found that old post in which he had gotten the Marvel's guts taken out and replaced by an absorption gas/electric unit. I emailed RJ about it and he said if he were to do it again, he'd be more inclined to try to mount a more modern unit behind the Marvel door. That's likely what I'll try to do later on in the process. And Marc, I did get in touch with the repair guy in Everett and he had some good input as well--if there's a will there's a way, he said. We'll find out if the will is strong enough.

cheers,
steve
The piece I had seen was where the fellow (Rob???) on a vintage trailer sight had used a new fridge and adapted the old door to fit it. Whether it was over the old door or completely replaced it I can't quite remember, and I forgot to look today. I'll tackle that tomorrow.

It sounds like you are making good progress Steve. I know when I got started on mine at first I had to keep stopping to take stock of what I'd found and correlate that to what I wanted to do. Eventually, as I figured out what I needed to do to get it done, and realized I had a much tighter time line to finish it than I thought, the ball really got rolling. 5 months of nights and weekends later we were out camping in it, mostly done. I finished up the trinket stuff on the weekends we weren't camping and through the following winter. Now I'm looking at it and thinking I might redo some of it. I've learned a lot from viewing others, mostly at the TCT event in Deming, who have done superior work on theirs to what I've done.

We'll be watching for pictures of yours as you progress Steve.

Barry
Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I'm glad that tip worked out.. more like if there's enough $$... there's a way Not that he's that way.. just how these old Airstream's work out...

Can't wait to read more...
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks, Barry, that'd be helpful on the fridge.

Don't look forward to all the ripping out that is coming up, but it's necessary. I really enjoy the planning process, though, and so much of what I do with systems later will be very dependent on things I do very early on in the process. Especially true on this trailer as it's systems are so limited I'll basically be starting over with a clean sheet of paper. Hopefully you guys will steer me in the right direction when I let my boat background get in the way of my thinking. Regardless, it'll be a slow project for me, since I'm so limited on the time I can devote to it. Hopefully I can get past the frame and subfloor state as we head to warmer weather. Once the new floor is in, I'll be able to bring Pam along sometimes to watch me work. That'll get me some more time for it.

cheers,
steve
Old 02-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

Still gawking at things and I'm wondering about end caps in these years. I've clearly got 13 panels in the rear end cap, but the front one is seamless--is it fiberglass? Looked at RJ Dial's photo's of the various '57 models and it looks like a couple of them might be like mine, but most show the 13 panels (or 7 later in the year). Anyone have any knowledge about what determined the differences?
I just looked at the photos, and both front and rear have 13 panels.
Interior caps were probably fiberglass, I'll take a look at a couple of older trailers in the shop and see if it could be plastic.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Still slowly at work taking things apart. It'd be a lot easier if I didn't want to save the cabinets. I've always disliked slotted screws, but I'm developing a real hatred for the darned things now.

A friend who's been following my progress says I had a really good looking Airstream when I bought it and I've been making it look like a wreck.

Hours spent on trying to take out the old Marvel fridge today and it's still there. Cabinet is about out, but the fridge or at least it's hidden fastener, is still there.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010067.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	76739   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010068.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	76740  

Name:	P1010069.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	76741  
Old 03-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Well, I've not had any luck finding that article on the refer door. I wish I'd of cut and paste it at the time as it has been a couple of years and now trying to remember all the details is touch and go.

It is funny to see others reactions to what we do with our trailers. Bring what to them looks like a ready to go unit home (and for many it would be fine the way it is) and then we tear it apart. They shake their heads and wonder where they went wrong as friends and neighbors teaching/showing us how to just accept things the way the are. Of course once it is done they are amazed at how good the results look and then just might admit that we actually know what we are doing. Heavy on the "might".

From the look of the pictures you are having great fun. Let us know what is holding the Marvel in when you figure it out. Both my friends are going to be doing the same removal this spring and it will be helpful to be able to just pop my head in the doors after they've busted their butts and say "oh, have you checked.......?".

keep the updates pictures coming,
Barry
Old 03-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
No problem on the refer door, Barry. I think I've got a pretty good idea of how I might tackle it using my fiberglass and epoxy skills which are definitely, not "might" be, but definitely superior to my aluminum skills. For now, though, there is no doubt that the floor is first in line.

The boat next to me in the marina just sold, so some of my buddies here in the harbor are suggesting we put the Caravanner on a raft and move it into that slip. It would fit, but I'm not sure the Port will go along with it. It might put a whole new meaning to "dropping the belly pan."

cheers,
steve
Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Definitely getting ahead of myself here, but this thing popped up on eBay and well. . . . .if you have a 50's Airstream, couldn't you have a 50's Cyclo?

The listing said the cord was too bad to even plug in, so it was definitely a roll of the dice. Got here today and the cord was as advertised. Took it apart, gave it a new cord, cleaned the commutator, gave it a little lube, brushes checked fine and it works.

In '54, Cyclo did a deal with Sears to sell them with a Craftsman branding. This one is one of those and the data plate is dated 1-55.

Brissy (from Brisbane, Australia) is my helper in the picture. She's now 7 years old and has never been off our boat other than a few trips to the vet. She's going to have to help me on the Caravanner when it starts going back together and begin to make her transition to land yachting.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010072.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	77103   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010074.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	77104  

Name:	P1010073.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	77105  
Old 03-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Definitely getting ahead of myself here, but this thing popped up on eBay and well. . . . .if you have a 50's Airstream, couldn't you have a 50's Cyclo?

The listing said the cord was too bad to even plug in, so it was definitely a roll of the dice. Got here today and the cord was as advertised. Took it apart, gave it a new cord, cleaned the commutator, gave it a little lube, brushes checked fine and it works.

In '54, Cyclo did a deal with Sears to sell them with a Craftsman branding. This one is one of those and the data plate is dated 1-55.

Brissy (from Brisbane, Australia) is my helper in the picture. She's now 7 years old and has never been off our boat other than a few trips to the vet. She's going to have to help me on the Caravanner when it starts going back together and begin to make her transition to land yachting.

cheers,
steve
Hey PBS, I think you must have outbid me on that Sear Cyclo! But I sure am glad to see someone on the Forums end up with it, and glad to hear it works for you!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
PBS has been busy in the purchasing mode... he bought my rims too! Hey PB, can I rent the cyclo sometime? I might need to polish the Argosy prior to Area 33....

Marc
Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Hey PBS, I think you must have outbid me on that Sear Cyclo! But I sure am glad to see someone on the Forums end up with it, and glad to hear it works for you!

-Marcus
I wondered who it might be, Marcus! Of course, by the time I'll really be needing it, my new cord will probably need replacing again.

cheers,
steve
Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
PBS has been busy in the purchasing mode... he bought my rims too! Hey PB, can I rent the cyclo sometime? I might need to polish the Argosy prior to Area 33....

Marc
Anytime, Marc, just bring beer for the rental, even Shiner Bock would be OK. BTW. . . .the check is in the mail.

cheers,
steve
Old 03-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Folks in the PAC-NW, home of some of the best micro-brews around, talking about our humble little Texas beer called Shiner Bock?

I am deeply honored!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
It's mighty hard to beat our local brews for sure. But, I did grow up in Texas and there is one supermarket here that carries Shiner Bock. It's still good.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I'd bring some local Fremont brews...
Thanks PB!
Marc
Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Ahhh seeing yours makes me long for my old 56.

She's only a memory to me now
Old 03-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Ahhh seeing yours makes me long for my old 56.

She's only a memory to me now
Yep, I've spent quite a few hours looking at your old thread, Steve.

cheers,
steve
Old 04-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
I am so darned slow

Really, I have been plugging away at it. Very nearly have it gutted and only need to get the bed and fresh water tank out. Rented a 5x10 storage unit to put all the inside stuff in and it's pretty full now.

Took the bathroom out today. Seems like I've read a bunch of threads with stories about troubles in getting the old stuff out. I've been worried about it, particularly as I'm still hoping to reuse much of it, like the nice aluminum shower pan. It all came right out, drain unscrewed from the top, toilet just about fell out, and its flange screwed out of the drain very easily. Shower pan lifted right out. Plywood is pretty ugly underneath, but isn't nearly as rotten as it is up front by the fresh water tank.

Couldn't stand it anymore and decided to pull off one of the lower inside panels, just to see what kind of shape it was in inside the walls. Drilled off the panel from the door to the bath and it all looked really good. Moisture on one section of insulation, but the rest was clean and dry. Amazing after 52 years.

I'll be so happy when I can get the old plywood up and see what my frame looks like. I really need to leave the belly pan on until after the subfloor is up and clean out the stuff inside the pan from the top before dropping it, so I won't really see the frame until the old subfloor is gone. Been pretty sure of what I had with the trailer and haven't had any surprises yet. I knew the subfloor would be awful and it is. I know I can fix whatever I have with the frame, but it'll sure be easier if it's in decent shape. Soon. . .

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010080.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	78448   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010083.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	78449