Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #253
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Yep, curved cabinetry, Marcus.

Iíve got a pretty good set of basic tools, but when it comes to making cabinets I really come up short. My buddy Dusty (he of the Airstream cutouts for the overhead sliders) looked at what I was doing and loaned me a router, a laminate trimmer, a biscuit joiner, a brad gun, and a staple gun. All these in addition to his table saw, chop saw, and belt sanders Iíd already been using. Itís really a luxury having access to the right tools.

The front curved portion is, like most of the cabinet, 1/8Ē Baltic birch and is bent around the plywood formers and attached with thickened epoxy. It was done in one uncut piece and I used duct tape to mark the edges and to keep the epoxy from sticking beyond those points. Then I just used a razor knife to cut out the opening for the two Elfa bins. I used the round welt from VTS for the edges. The bottom bin will attach to the front face, giving access to both bins.

The sides are now on and the hardwood pieces are cut for the armrest opening and the mount for the little radio. Really wasn't planning the use of the hardwood (imbuya), but it jumped out at me while picking up Baltic birch at Windsor Plywood. Half off too!

cheers,
steve
Everything is looking great Steve. Can't believe the cold weather is back already!

Carol

Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #254
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Thanks, Carol.

Front cabinet nearly done with the recliners moved back into position. Still have the laminate and top compartment hinges to go, but it's functional now. Spent most of the day on the bulkhead by the door--lots of small cuts and many more small removals with the belt sander. Fit is getting close.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA040576.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	112905   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA110587.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	112906  

Name:	PA110589.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	112907   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA110590.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	112908  

Name:	PA110592.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	112909   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA110593.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	112910  

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
We Almost Have Heat Again

You know your restoration is taking too long when you are reinstalling the heater for the second winter of work. It's cool and wet up here this weekend and I've been working for a week or so trying to get the Dickinson Propane Heater reinstalled after having it out for the summer work.

I'd gotten the big curbside cabinet back in and the bulkheads replaced, but have only refinished the panel by the entrance door so that the heater reinstall could be permanent. Of course, that impacts many other things: nothing is ever simple. The heater sticks out a bit more than the old Panel Ray, so the other two big pieces of original cabinetry had to go back in first, even though they aren't refinished. With the bed and galley inside, the heater could go back on, hopefully permanently.

Tomorrow I'll get the propane hooked up again and the 12 volt heater fan that we lacked last winter. Lots of work left on the cabinets, but having them back in sure makes the inside look a lot closer to being done. Hopefully that'll happen before the third winter.

-steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA210597.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	113966   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA230600.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	113967  

Name:	PA230601.JPG
Views:	132
ID:	113968  

Old 10-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #256
Greg & Charlotte

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Coast , British Columbia
Hi Steve. Your console looks great, as the rest of your work appears to be. Keep the pictures coming!

You may not remember me but I bugged you for an hour or so at the Lynden get together.

Absolutely love the heater - I suspect it's from a marine application? Can you tell me more about it?

Greg

In a crisis it is always better to break ground and head into the wind, than to break wind and head into the ground.
AirAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Yep, I remember, Greg. Welcome to the forums. How's your trailer coming?

The heater is a Dickinson Newport Propane and there's some stuff in this thread about it starting around post 100 or so. Mine came from defender.com. I really like it as it uses a double walled pipe, drawing fresh air in the outside pipe and exhausting combustion air through the inner pipe, so it's not using inside oxygen.

Pam is no longer able to climb into the V berth in the bow that has always been her bed. Iíve been lifting her up there for several weeks, but finally decided to move her into the main saloon where access is much easier. Alzheimers doesnít like changes and boat cats donít like changes, so letís just say that last night was not the most restful on our little boat.

Cold, windy, and rainy this morning, but I had respite care for Pam and 6 hours alone to work on the trailer. I got the 12 volt fan hooked up on the heater and connected the gas line. And, the work mostly stopped. It was nice and warm with the fire burning in the heater. I sat back in one of the recliners with my copy of David Winickís Airstreams-Custom Interiors and most of my day slipped away.

Guilt made me get a little work done, some sanding and some stripping on the cabinets. I emptied out the stuff in the drawers in the galley cabinet too and scored a great find. When I bought Island Girl, the keys could not be found, so I installed a deadbolt and have been using that to lock the door. But in one of those drawers was this little key that fits the Bargman lock perfectly.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA250598.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	114036   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA250601.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	114037  

Name:	PA250600.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	114038  

Old 10-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #258
Greg & Charlotte

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Coast , British Columbia
Hi Steve. Thanks for the information on the heater. It almost seems that with the flame visible through the front, it's a mini fireplace. And good for you to take some time out for Steve and enjoy some of the fruits of your labor.

Our project is basically on hold as I wait for a local shop to cut/bend some aluminum pieces so I can rebuild the windows. I hope to have the pieces back later this week but I know and that shop knows I'm at their mercy.

Seeing your work and the progress you're making on your gem is truly inspiring. Keep the updates and pictures coming!

Greg

In a crisis it is always better to break ground and head into the wind, than to break wind and head into the ground.
AirAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #259
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
I really do have to start plumbing soon

I know I can do itóthe system is pretty simple, but I just donít like plumbing. But, cabinets are going back in and I know itíll be much easier to make plumbing runs while those cabinets can still be moved. So this marks the official beginning of plumbing, still probably to be delayed as much as I can. The streetside rear corner was originally the outlet for the power cord, but all that stuff is in front now. Iím using the hole to plumb a cleanout sprayer for the blackwater tank. The inlet is a Perko marine city water hookup and chrome plated bronze, very nice quality. Iíll use another one later for the trailerís city water hookup.

The black tank will sit on top of the subfloor in the rear curbside location of the bath. Iíll be fabricating the tank using epoxy and fiberglass cloth with stitch and glue techniques. Iíll start on the tank soon.

Meanwhile refinishing is ongoing with the original bed frame and its nice curved corner the current work in progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB130604.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	115215   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB130606.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	115216  

Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #260
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
oohhh! Steve, nice work on the beds.. those are original? Man they look good! Nice work on the water inlet too... did you make the alumanum ring that fits around the inlet? Nice detail work with those rivets.. looks like art.
marc
Old 11-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #261
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
oohhh! Steve, nice work on the beds.. those are original? Man they look good! Nice work on the water inlet too... did you make the alumanum ring that fits around the inlet? Nice detail work with those rivets.. looks like art.
marc
Hey Marc! Yes, original wood on the bed--I love the grain on that piece. The inlet was just a little too small to cover the hole in the panel, but I think I like the look with the rivets anyway.

Feel like I've really slowed down lately, but it's probably the time it takes putting finish on the woodwork--three coats mostly and only one a day and my shop is the trailer. Little bit at a time.

-steve

Old 11-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #262
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
A Stitch and Glue Black Tank

I'm using stitch and glue to fabricate the black tank which will sit above the subfloor in the rear curbside bath. It should be a good technique for the tank, especially as it's easy to shape it to fit the Airstream curve. Materials will be a 1/4" plywood core, epoxy, filler and fiberglass cloth. The tank will extend through the bathroom bulkhead and under the bed so the little cleanout sprayer fitting can be hidden.

Yesterday I got the plywood pieces cut out and glued the first layer of 1/8" Baltic birch into a rabbet cut into the 1/4" plywood. The birch will let me make the curve on the sides of the tank. Today the bottom and sides were wired together to hold them in place temporarily for the epoxy.

We've got light snow and cold here for the next few days, so I may not get too far with this until it warms up a bit. The trailer heater warms it up just fine, but I can't keep it on unless we're there, so it really gets cold soaked. It has to be warm for Pam, so we went to the trailer, turned on the heat, and then ran errands for awhile to let it get warm. Pam is quite frail now and isn’t walking well, so it’s getting much harder to get out with her. Worth it, though, as she thought those snow flakes falling today were pretty cool.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB180607.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	115542   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB180609.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	115543  

Name:	PB190613.JPG
Views:	102
ID:	115544   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB190616.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	115545  

Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #263
R n B

1965 17' Caravel
1961 24' Tradewind
Ephrata , Washington
Looking GOOD. I just missed meeting you at Lynden. You were pulling out just as I started over your way. I have been enjoying your posts on the trailer and admiring your work. Roger
Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by King O D Road View Post
Looking GOOD. I just missed meeting you at Lynden. You were pulling out just as I started over your way. I have been enjoying your posts on the trailer and admiring your work. Roger
Thanks, Roger. Sorry we missed at Lynden, sure hope I can make a few more rallies next year. We might even have plumbing!

steve

Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #265
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
It is Cold in Western Washington This Week

After seeing the trailer this morning I may need to update the avatar with a new picture.

It's been a cold couple of days and is expected to get colder before it gets warmer again by Thanksgiving. I kept my epoxy on the boat last night for warmth and it was a very cold trailer this morning until the heater caught up.

I got the inside of the black tank fiberglassed with cloth and epoxy. It will be strong enough tomorrow to pull out all of the wire ties that held the plywood together. Next I'll work on the top and add some extra support to the plywood to make sure the top of the tank is plenty strong for the generously sized person who will be sitting on it.

-steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB210617.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	115739   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB210618.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	115740  

Name:	PB210620.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	115741   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB210621.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	115742  

Name:	PB210622.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	115743  

Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #266
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
I am out here in School land but I am still reading your updates. I like the idea of a Winter avatar!
Smiles,
Pink

Tags
1957, 1957 caravanner