Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravanner > 1952-1960 Caravanner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #241
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956Safari View Post
Hey Steve, Where did you ever find the barrel bolts? My 56 needs them too and I've had no luck locating them thus far.
Thanks!
Jaime
They came from a local marine chandlery and had a Seadog brand name. I checked Defender and West Marine online and didn't find the same type, but they're both probably got something similar that would work. These have a round barrel instead of the original half round, so I did have to open up the tab on the inner door slightly.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
1409 miles x 2

Hi Steve

I just returned back to ME from Missouri to help a friend pick up a 57' Custom he bought off Ebay. We were hoping for the best and somewhat prepared for the worst. It took and six hours to clean out the interior, rewire lights and brakes, and mount the new tire, rims, WT hitch. Only had to repack one set of bearings at an auto parts parking lot. It started heating up about a half hour after heading back east. But no other road drama and we made it back in one piece. The v-8 4-Runner pulled nicely.

Just thought I would share a few photos to let you know about similar trailers out there still being saved......one trailer at a time. This one needs an extreme makeover. This is an Ohio Custom with some interesting interior layouts. Lots of work but watching your progress helps with that "vision" thing. I have referred the new owner to your thread/project in hope he will see what a great job you are doing.

Keep up the great work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	custom 073.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	110355   Click image for larger version

Name:	custom 091.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	110356  

Name:	custom 060.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	741.4 KB
ID:	110357  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #243
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thx for the pics, Gary. I was watching that one on eBay. Pretty similar to the Caravanner, sure looks familiar. Another one of the last of the 13 panels.

Island Girl got a new Reese Strait-Line Hitch in the mail a couple of days ago and I finished that install today, got the brakes hooked up, and paid a visit to the car wash. Planning our first outing to join the crowd at Lynden tomorrow, but we're still pretty pitiful with our empty shell. Look forward to seeing some other trailers there.

cheers,
steve

Old 09-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #244
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Steve,

It was great to meet you and Pam yesterday at the Lynden TCT event. Your trailer is gorgeous. You wouldn't of heard the comments as you towed in but they were very excited to see that beauty roll past.

We missed you when we came past later in the afternoon after the majority of the tours were done so we could leave our trailers. A group of us headed over to meet you and view your handiwork. We did get a chance to take a good look at the trailer through the windows and you do outstanding work. The finished trailer will be a real showpiece, and functional.

We had intended to hang out today (Sunday) to visit with the group and await your arrival but with the rain so heavy we decided we needed to get the car/trailer home and tucked away - I have a tailgate leak that I thought was fixed on the wagon but apparently, and much to my chagrin, I've still got some work to do.

You are close to me, 12 miles or so, and one day I'll grab my neighbor who was also at Lynden and we'll drop down to get an official tour.

Take care,
Barry and Donna
Old 09-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #245
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Hey Barry,

Great to meet you and Donna as well. Thanks for the compliments on the trailer, but wow, I'm really impressed by so many rigs I saw there, including yours and that very cool tow vehicle (even with a leaky tailgate). I'd sure hoped to hang around longer on Saturday, but Pam just ran out of gas and wanted to go. No problem, I figured, since the forecast for today, when I had care for Pam, was only for showers. I'll take the blame for the weather, though, since I put a coat of varnish on the boat Saturday afternoon and that always makes it rain.

But I got to meet silverleeper, Lee, and Mel and see their cool Caravel today. And thanks Greg for the cookies, most of which did not survive the afternoon while working on the trailer.

Really great to get Island Girl on the road once again. I'd decided on a Reese Strait-Line Hitch with 600 pound bars and it arrived just in time on Wednesday, giving me enough time to get it set up. She pulls just great with the Tundra and I surprised myself by remembering how to back up after not towing a trailer for 35 years or so.

Dark and gloomy working inside today, but I turned on all the lights and they made a big difference.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9100533.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	110648   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9100534.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	110649  

Name:	P9120537.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	110650   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9120538.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	110651  

Name:	P9120539.JPG
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	110652  

Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #246
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Steve, it was great to meet you yesterday and I'm sorry we didn't have longer to visit! Glad you could make it out to Lynden - it's a great crowd of people and I know everyone will be excited to see the progress on Island Girl at the next rally.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #247
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Steve, it was great to meet you yesterday and I'm sorry we didn't have longer to visit! Glad you could make it out to Lynden - it's a great crowd of people and I know everyone will be excited to see the progress on Island Girl at the next rally.
I'm all pumped up now and anxious to get her finished now, Mel. Did the cat make it home with you?

cheers,
steve

Old 09-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #248
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Did the cat make it home with you?

cheers,
steve
This picture says it all.
Attached Images

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #249
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
This picture says it all.
Looks like a pretty happy cat to me!

The two recliners came with a center console, but it’s too wide and very heavy. It does have a nice leather center armrest and that will be resized to fit the smaller cabinet I’m making.

The back half of the “T” shaped box houses the batteries, converter, and circuit breaker panels. Might even be some storage room left over if I’m lucky. In the back of the trailer the original bed has a great curve of birch made into it and I want to tie that into the front cabinet. I’ve started with curves cut into 3/4” ply and notched to fit the 1x2” framing, fastened with epoxy and cloth (thanks, Marcus).

I got the rest of the framing put together today using a pocket screw jig. Really like the pocket screws: strong, and really quick.

Air19 has a great thread showing his cabinet work on a ‘53 Flying Cloud. He is really skilled and I am not, but he makes use of Elfa bins for his storage and I’m using them in this cabinet as well. I’ve just got it clamped and wired in place to check the fit for now. The Elfa bins just slide on grooves cut into the 1x2’s. It’ll all be covered in Baltic birch and a laminate yet to be decided upon.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9140543.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	110771   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9140545.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	110772  

Name:	P9140546.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	110773   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9140548.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	110774  

Old 09-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #250
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Looking good, pocket hole screws are an absolute miracle.

Do I see the beginnings of some curved cabinetry? Very nice!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #251
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Yep, curved cabinetry, Marcus.

I’ve got a pretty good set of basic tools, but when it comes to making cabinets I really come up short. My buddy Dusty (he of the Airstream cutouts for the overhead sliders) looked at what I was doing and loaned me a router, a laminate trimmer, a biscuit joiner, a brad gun, and a staple gun. All these in addition to his table saw, chop saw, and belt sanders I’d already been using. It’s really a luxury having access to the right tools.

The front curved portion is, like most of the cabinet, 1/8” Baltic birch and is bent around the plywood formers and attached with thickened epoxy. It was done in one uncut piece and I used duct tape to mark the edges and to keep the epoxy from sticking beyond those points. Then I just used a razor knife to cut out the opening for the two Elfa bins. I used the round welt from VTS for the edges. The bottom bin will attach to the front face, giving access to both bins.

The sides are now on and the hardwood pieces are cut for the armrest opening and the mount for the little radio. Really wasn't planning the use of the hardwood (imbuya), but it jumped out at me while picking up Baltic birch at Windsor Plywood. Half off too!

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9250562.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	111624   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9220559.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	111625  

Name:	P9250567.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	111626   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9250566.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	111627  

Name:	P9250565.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	111628  

Old 10-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #252
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Big Stuff Goes Back In!!

It's been around a year and a half since the original cabinets came out of Island Girl, so it was a really big deal yesterday when the refrigerator/wardrobe unit went back in. The unit needs stripping, refinishing, and some panel replacement so it's not at all done, but I wanted it back in in order to get the Dickinson propane heater reinstalled. Cold weather is coming.

The cabinet for the recliners is nearly done, short of the laminate and a couple of hinges on the way from Lee Valley. Pics of that in a few days.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA090583.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	112817  

Old 10-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #253
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Yep, curved cabinetry, Marcus.

I’ve got a pretty good set of basic tools, but when it comes to making cabinets I really come up short. My buddy Dusty (he of the Airstream cutouts for the overhead sliders) looked at what I was doing and loaned me a router, a laminate trimmer, a biscuit joiner, a brad gun, and a staple gun. All these in addition to his table saw, chop saw, and belt sanders I’d already been using. It’s really a luxury having access to the right tools.

The front curved portion is, like most of the cabinet, 1/8” Baltic birch and is bent around the plywood formers and attached with thickened epoxy. It was done in one uncut piece and I used duct tape to mark the edges and to keep the epoxy from sticking beyond those points. Then I just used a razor knife to cut out the opening for the two Elfa bins. I used the round welt from VTS for the edges. The bottom bin will attach to the front face, giving access to both bins.

The sides are now on and the hardwood pieces are cut for the armrest opening and the mount for the little radio. Really wasn't planning the use of the hardwood (imbuya), but it jumped out at me while picking up Baltic birch at Windsor Plywood. Half off too!

cheers,
steve
Everything is looking great Steve. Can't believe the cold weather is back already!

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #254
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks, Carol.

Front cabinet nearly done with the recliners moved back into position. Still have the laminate and top compartment hinges to go, but it's functional now. Spent most of the day on the bulkhead by the door--lots of small cuts and many more small removals with the belt sander. Fit is getting close.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA040576.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	112905   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA110587.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	112906  

Name:	PA110589.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	112907   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA110590.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	112908  

Name:	PA110592.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	112909   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA110593.JPG
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	112910  

Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
We Almost Have Heat Again

You know your restoration is taking too long when you are reinstalling the heater for the second winter of work. It's cool and wet up here this weekend and I've been working for a week or so trying to get the Dickinson Propane Heater reinstalled after having it out for the summer work.

I'd gotten the big curbside cabinet back in and the bulkheads replaced, but have only refinished the panel by the entrance door so that the heater reinstall could be permanent. Of course, that impacts many other things: nothing is ever simple. The heater sticks out a bit more than the old Panel Ray, so the other two big pieces of original cabinetry had to go back in first, even though they aren't refinished. With the bed and galley inside, the heater could go back on, hopefully permanently.

Tomorrow I'll get the propane hooked up again and the 12 volt heater fan that we lacked last winter. Lots of work left on the cabinets, but having them back in sure makes the inside look a lot closer to being done. Hopefully that'll happen before the third winter.

-steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA210597.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	113966   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA230600.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	113967  

Name:	PA230601.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	113968  

Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #256
Greg & Charlotte

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Coast , British Columbia
Hi Steve. Your console looks great, as the rest of your work appears to be. Keep the pictures coming!

You may not remember me but I bugged you for an hour or so at the Lynden get together.

Absolutely love the heater - I suspect it's from a marine application? Can you tell me more about it?

Greg

In a crisis it is always better to break ground and head into the wind, than to break wind and head into the ground.
AirAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Yep, I remember, Greg. Welcome to the forums. How's your trailer coming?

The heater is a Dickinson Newport Propane and there's some stuff in this thread about it starting around post 100 or so. Mine came from defender.com. I really like it as it uses a double walled pipe, drawing fresh air in the outside pipe and exhausting combustion air through the inner pipe, so it's not using inside oxygen.

Pam is no longer able to climb into the V berth in the bow that has always been her bed. I’ve been lifting her up there for several weeks, but finally decided to move her into the main saloon where access is much easier. Alzheimers doesn’t like changes and boat cats don’t like changes, so let’s just say that last night was not the most restful on our little boat.

Cold, windy, and rainy this morning, but I had respite care for Pam and 6 hours alone to work on the trailer. I got the 12 volt fan hooked up on the heater and connected the gas line. And, the work mostly stopped. It was nice and warm with the fire burning in the heater. I sat back in one of the recliners with my copy of David Winick’s Airstreams-Custom Interiors and most of my day slipped away.

Guilt made me get a little work done, some sanding and some stripping on the cabinets. I emptied out the stuff in the drawers in the galley cabinet too and scored a great find. When I bought Island Girl, the keys could not be found, so I installed a deadbolt and have been using that to lock the door. But in one of those drawers was this little key that fits the Bargman lock perfectly.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA250598.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	114036   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA250601.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	114037  

Name:	PA250600.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	114038  

Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #258
Greg & Charlotte

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Coast , British Columbia
Hi Steve. Thanks for the information on the heater. It almost seems that with the flame visible through the front, it's a mini fireplace. And good for you to take some time out for Steve and enjoy some of the fruits of your labor.

Our project is basically on hold as I wait for a local shop to cut/bend some aluminum pieces so I can rebuild the windows. I hope to have the pieces back later this week but I know and that shop knows I'm at their mercy.

Seeing your work and the progress you're making on your gem is truly inspiring. Keep the updates and pictures coming!

Greg

In a crisis it is always better to break ground and head into the wind, than to break wind and head into the ground.
AirAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #259
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
I really do have to start plumbing soon

I know I can do it—the system is pretty simple, but I just don’t like plumbing. But, cabinets are going back in and I know it’ll be much easier to make plumbing runs while those cabinets can still be moved. So this marks the official beginning of plumbing, still probably to be delayed as much as I can. The streetside rear corner was originally the outlet for the power cord, but all that stuff is in front now. I’m using the hole to plumb a cleanout sprayer for the blackwater tank. The inlet is a Perko marine city water hookup and chrome plated bronze, very nice quality. I’ll use another one later for the trailer’s city water hookup.

The black tank will sit on top of the subfloor in the rear curbside location of the bath. I’ll be fabricating the tank using epoxy and fiberglass cloth with stitch and glue techniques. I’ll start on the tank soon.

Meanwhile refinishing is ongoing with the original bed frame and its nice curved corner the current work in progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB130604.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	115215   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB130606.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	115216  

Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #260
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
oohhh! Steve, nice work on the beds.. those are original? Man they look good! Nice work on the water inlet too... did you make the alumanum ring that fits around the inlet? Nice detail work with those rivets.. looks like art.
marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1957, 1957 caravanner