Old 02-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So good to see you back at it, Steve. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to wait for the injury to heal up before moving along.

The recliners look quite comfortable, what a great place to relax while resting up for your next major task(s).

- Marcus

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #170
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
The Beginnings of 13 Panels of Birch

There are so many great restoration threads here at airforums. Many of them I’ve read over and over and pick up new ideas each time I go through them. I do have a favorite and it’s Carlos Ferguson's http://www.airforums.com/forums/f321...ari-15592.html Scroll down to around post #42 and see what he did.

Carlos is an artist and I am a hack, so I harbor no illusions about doing anything as nice as he did, but I think I can do something that will make me happy and that’s a reasonable goal for me. I’m not doing the whole interior in birch. I love my shiny 13 panel endcap in the rear and am planning to stay shiny as far as the forward end of the galley, and then transition to birch for the interior from that point forward. Part of the reason is that my trailer has an ugly fiberglass endcap in front—it’ll get covered by 13 panels of 1/8” Baltic birch ply.

I used my rear endcap for making cardboard templates. The fit is slightly different as my sloping rear has a different shape than the vertical front. First pic is a rough first try at making them fit. First or bottom panel is the center one, so I'll start there and work down from there.

Carlos used pop rivets on his but I’m thinking of using single use clecos (Olympic rivets). I really like the way the rivets stand out in the rear endcap and it seems like the solid head on the Olympics would be closer to the look of a bucked rivet. I think it’ll hold ok, going through two pieces of birch and then the fiberglass endcap. I tried a few today and they're shown in the other pictures.

I'd be happy to hear any ideas for making this better or doing it differently.

In other news, I go back to the doctor tomorrow and he said to bring two shoes. I so want to retire the plastic boot and start limping around on my new ankle.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3140354.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	98163   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3150356.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	98164  

Name:	P3150359.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	98165   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3150358.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	98166  

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 AM   #171
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
My first concern would be that in drilling so many holes through the fiberglass endcap to install the bitch 13-panels, you might end up with a leak in the outer shell that it could now leak through the rivet holes and cause damage to your new birch inner endcap. I don't think Olympic rivets will seal well from the back side with the "wings". My experience is that all Airstreams eventually leak, but often the water stays between the skins until it hits the floor. You might be giving that water another option.

Another concern is that adding so many rivet holes to the fiberglass endcap might make the holes all weak spots for cracks to start as the trailer torques and bumps down the road. Maybe the old fiberglass is thick enough that this is not an issue, but pretty much all newer Airstream plastic(?) encaps eventually crack, so I wanted to caution you.

I don't want to discourage you from your plan, but I do want to make sure you've thought about the possible downsides before getting too far into it. Good Luck!
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks Joe, good points.

Definitely going to finish both sides of the birch in case it does get wet down the road. Hopefully any leaks will migrate down the exterior endcap since it has those foam strips making a dead air space for the prodex insulation. Leaks aren't the most predictable thing though, are they?

I'm fairly comfortable with the holes in the fiberglass. That old endcap is really solid. Sure wouldn't try it with the plastic ones.

-steve

Old 03-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
My fiberglass dome is riddled with holes from the interior aluminum cladding that I did a year ago, and I haven't noticed any issues one year and a few hundred miles later, but you never know. Frank's is similarly riddled with holes and it's been at least two years and many thousands of miles for him, and I haven't heard him mention any issues either. Like you said, that dome is rock-solid.

And honestly, if it's leaking (and they ALL leak), I'd rather see evidence in the interior of the trailer, than have it run down the walls and rot out the floor without my knowledge...
Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #174
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
There are so many great restoration threads here at airforums. Many of them Iíve read over and over and pick up new ideas each time I go through them. I do have a favorite and itís Carlos Ferguson's http://www.airforums.com/forums/f321...ari-15592.html Scroll down to around post #42 and see what he did.

In other news, I go back to the doctor tomorrow and he said to bring two shoes. I so want to retire the plastic boot and start limping around on my new ankle.

cheers,
steve
Agreed - Carlos Ferguson's thread is a favorite. I realy like the birch, and believe you will do a fantastic job of it. Can't wait to see the panels in place.

Here's hoping you go home tomorrow with two shoes.

Carol
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #175
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Putting the First Panels In

The last few days Iíve been cutting panels and applying finish to them. Using Waterlox for the finish, three coats on the back and four on the front surface. First couple of coats really soak into the birch.

I had care for Pam today and had the first five panels all finished, so it was a good day to start putting them up. Decided on a three inch spacing for the Olympic rivets, figuring using the spacing for the bucked rivets would just make way too many holes and going farther apart might let gaps pop up. I've included the all important Cleco shot, but it really shows the color better than the rest. I like it, itís light, but close to the original. I want it pretty light in color after lots of years living with dark teak and small portholes in the boat. Happy with the way the rivets stand out making a nice contrast with the wood. The rivet shaver was busy.

Ended the day with 5 panels riveted in place and the next two up for a trial fitting with clecos. The next batch still needs to be cut out and finished, so itíll be next week before they go up, finishing the end cap.

It is so much more fun doing this kind of work than ripping up old floors or scraping frame rust. I know all the work Iíve done so far is really important for the trailer, but I sure like doing the pretty stuff.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3160361.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	98704   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3230366.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	98705  

Name:	P3230371.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	98706   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3230368.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	98707  

Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #176
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Nice work Steve. Looks just like Carlos' 62 safari.

Steve
Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #177
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Pegs????

I keep meaning to ask every time I see these things. What are the metal pegs on the ceiling? I've seen them in photos of exteriors as well. I realize they are not permanent. But what is their purpose?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I keep meaning to ask every time I see these things. What are the metal pegs on the ceiling? I've seen them in photos of exteriors as well. I realize they are not permanent. But what is their purpose?
They're called Clecos and they're used to hold (usually) pieces of aluminum in alignment while being riveted. You drill the hole, pop in a cleco to hold it, and then remove them one at a time and replace with rivets. Life just wouldn't be complete without clecos.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Nice work Steve. Looks just like Carlos' 62 safari.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I'll never approach the quality of Carlos' work, but I'm pretty sure it'll be OK enough to make me happy. I've learned so much from what Carlos and Uwe shared in their respective threads that were going on at the same time. Really special work by both of them.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #180
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Thanks, Steve. I'll never approach the quality of Carlos' work, but I'm pretty sure it'll be OK enough to make me happy. I've learned so much from what Carlos and Uwe shared in their respective threads that were going on at the same time. Really special work by both of them.
Absolutely. For me, the "Trifecta of Inspiration" for my early days on the Forums was the threads by Carlos, Uwe, and JP. Their innovation and skill just blew me away, showing me all of the amazing things that could be done with a simple trailer.

And don't sell yourself short, your work on the birch panels looks outstanding. I look forward to your progress updates every time I see your thread come up on my "Followed" list.

-Marcus
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #181
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks, Marcus. Glad you mentioned JP and I don't know why I left him out (all those memory issues around here, I guess) 'cause A-Merry-Can and his thread has certainly been one of that group of three for me too.

-steve

Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #182
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Looking beautiful Steve!

Carol

Tags
1957, 1957 caravanner