Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
. . . That's silly though, I know. She is an it and is just a pile of aluminum, just like my boat is an it and is just a bunch of fiberglass that floats. Silly, but they are special and my trailer is a she just like my boat is a she. . . .
cheers,
steve
Not silly at all. I truly believe there is a personality that comes together in these coaches each time JC rivets oen together. The vintage ones just have had more time to develop their's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
Is it possible to share some of those communications?
Bob
Don't want to hijack pbear's thread, so check Contact and Sharing the Past towards the bottom of the page.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
Tow the trailer and parts to her and ask questions ... Old folks like to be acknowledged for their wisdom.
Bob
I think I'll make towing the trailer out there a goal for next year when the weather is nice. Maybe Island Girl will be more than an empty shell then. Hopefully Pam and I can ride the ferry out there fairly soon and get to meet her.

steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Don't want to hijack pbear's thread, so check Contact and Sharing the Past towards the bottom of the page.
I've been a slacker and haven't read Elvis' blog all the way from the beginning. Gotta do that. Thanks for sharing those posts. Love that kind of stuff.

steve

Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Making Fantastic Vents Fantasticer

All the credit for this idea goes to jbond, Herb, who posted several years ago here http://www.airforums.com/forums/364550-post3.html and posted a copy of an article he wrote about it here http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...00&userid=9289. Thanks, Herb.

I'd seen his earlier post when searching Fantastic Vent threads and really liked the idea. And, I had two of the old Hehr vent covers. They were pretty battered and still have plenty of dings, but I still like the look much more than the gray plastic covers.

We're definitely into rainy season now, so I doubt that I'll be able to actually mount the two new Fantastic Vents anytime soon, but at least they're ready to go now.

steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB110282.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	91220   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB110284.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	91221  

Name:	PB140287.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	91222   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB170292.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	91223  

Name:	PB170293.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	91225  

Old 11-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #145
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Steve,

I had seen this pic before and had considered attempting this for my own project. The hehr vents look so much better than the replacements from Fantastic. I have replacements for both of my hehr vents, but I am not sure if I will do this or not. Tempting for sure after seeing your pictures.

Looks great.

Steve
Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
It didn't rain today!!!!

Seems like it rained every day in November, but December has started off dry and we even saw the sun. Looks like a couple of dry days ahead, so started mounting the Fantastic Vents today. One is in and the other tomorrow.

I'm really pleased with the old Hehr cover mod. Didn't really know if it would show, but that nice shiny inside with the Hehr logo shows up well from inside with the vents extended.

Based mostly on some VAP discussion of Fantastic Vent installs, I bedded it in silicone (as Vulkem seems not to stick to the plastic) and used stainless pan head screws (1/2" #10) with washers to screw the flange down. Didn't use the supplied gasket, just lots of silicone. Laid a blue masking tape line down around the perimeter and that controlled the mess.

One goof. I ordered the inside trim piece with the curve, but it's clearly too much for my roof (which is really pretty flat right on top). Should have ordered the flat trim piece, but it'll be easy enough to trim.

As a follow up on my trailer's history, I got a phone call a week or so ago from the son of the original owners. He says he visits his mom about once a month and will get some info together for me next time he goes to see her on the island. Told me he clearly remembers the trailer arriving (he was in high school at the time) and that his parents had gone to Jackson Center to pick up a Bubble, but had gotten such a good deal on the Caravanner that they went with the bigger trailer. R.J. Dial's site says only one Bubble was made in Ohio that year, so maybe that had something to do with it too. Anyway, it looks like I'll get some nice info on my trailer's past (he said it was their baby and went everywhere with it) so that's really exciting to me.

steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC010308.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	91896   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC010311.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	91897  

Name:	PC010313.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	91898  

Old 12-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I really like that look Steve.. nice going!
Marc
Old 12-31-2009, 05:52 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
A Year End Post About Little Jobs

Weather has mostly been either wet or cold or both and progress has been slowed, but I’m still plugging along. Electrical is ongoing, but I’ve done a few other projects as well.

I wanted to use the knobs from the Hehr lifters to replace the black plastic knobs for cranking up the Fantastic Vents. I cut the centers out of the plastic knobs and glued them into the old Hehr knobs and added a screw to attach to the shaft.

On the electrical side, I’ve been running wires. I’m using marine wire, tinned and stranded, both for the 110 volt and 12 volt systems. Island Girl will mostly be a 12 volt trailer, a big change from her original layout, and all lighting will be LED. Those puck lights from VTS will be in a row on the overhead.

Added an external 110 volt plug on the outside and converted the original socket to 12 volt, mostly with the idea that I could hang an LED light under the awning at times.

I’ve used 10 gauge wire to run from the feed studs for the solar panels and covered the connection with boots.

The electrical panels are from Blue Sea Systems for both AC and DC systems. The 12 volt is on the way and the picture shows the 110 volt version.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC190317.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	93220   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC190316.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	93221  

Name:	PC190318.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	93222   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC260321.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	93223  

Name:	PC260322.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	93224   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC310326.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	93225  

Name:	PC310327.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	93226   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC310328.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	93227  

Name:	PC310329.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	93228  

Old 01-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #149
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
You have been a busy guy. Yes, the weather the past bunch of days has been darned cool and wet. I sure like what you have done with your roof vents. I have to do this, no question now. With my trailer basically "done" though running wires to the center vent where I want to install my Fantastic fan is going to be a bit of a hassle but I'll get it figured out.

Happy New Year. Gosh, the pace you are going at you will be out with it come spring.

Barry
Old 01-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Happy New Year. Gosh, the pace you are going at you will be out with it come spring.

Barry
Happy New Year to you as well, Barry. Nah, spring just won't see her rolling again. If there is a time goal at all (try not to have one), it would be to have her complete enough to use by next winter. Really would like to be someplace warmer and drier for part of next winter. Much to do to get to that point, though.

steve

Old 01-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Norm, we now have similar spare parts

Back in July, Norm, whose thread here is http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...der-50274.html wrote about an unfortunate slide into second base and resulting ankle injury that kept him on the shelf for awhile. I joined the club this week.

Many of you know my wife Pam has Alzheimers and I’m her fulltime caregiver. Sometimes you push too hard. Three nights ago we were both were feeling poorly, weak, nauseous. It came on quickly. Weird thing is that Brissy the cat got sick too, so we’re thinking it was something environmental that got the three of us. Anyway, it was nearly bedtime and I thought I should try to get her up in her berth on the boat before I felt too badly to do it. Nearly made it—teeth were brushed, face washed, and loaded into her jammies. I passed out and fell straight down and broke my right ankle.

Alzheimers really makes these deals hard. I can’t leave her alone longer than an hour or so and it takes time to arrange for care. And the care needs to be familiar as consistency is everything with the disease—we do everything the same way at the same time, all the time. The surgeon wanted me in right now, I couldn’t do it, but yesterday I got Charlene, our regular respite care nurse to come here early and plan for an overnight stay and Jim and Rich, two of my best friends and the big part of my Alzheimers support network in the marina got me hauled out of the boat (not the easiest thing) and into the hospital. I was back on the boat at 8 PM last night.

So, I’ll be leaning on my friends, especially for the next two weeks while I’m in the hard cast, and I’ll still be able to take care of Pam for the most part. Everything is cool.

Island Girl, though, goes back burner for a time, except for the delivery of the new recliners on Tuesday. I will be there for that.

-steve

Old 01-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Steve, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your fall. That really stinks. Keep that leg up in the air as much as you can buddy. It'll get better soon, but dang I know how at this point it just seems like your recovery is going to take forever. Glad to hear you have help with Pam. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to care for someone else while trying to get yourself better.
Norm
Old 01-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Wow Steve, what a rotten thing to happen.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. If nothing else I guess you'll get some time to read all these posts you've been too busy to read.

You are in our thoughts.

Barry
Old 01-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
What a Guy!!

I think you are Super! I only wish I lived closer....anything to help out. Thinking of you!

Tags
1957, 1957 caravanner