Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravanner > 1952-1960 Caravanner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #181
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Thanks, Marcus. Glad you mentioned JP and I don't know why I left him out (all those memory issues around here, I guess) 'cause A-Merry-Can and his thread has certainly been one of that group of three for me too.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #182
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Looking beautiful Steve!

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #183
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Front Endcap is Done

I thought I was done day before yesterday, but wasn’t happy with the shape of the last panel. Recut and refinished those two panels and put them up today. Still needs trim around the window, but that'll come much later.

Pam has her two teddy bears in her hand in that one picture and that’s a definite sign that she’s ready to call it a day and head back to the boat. The Tundra has a pretty decent sound system and she just loves to go back to the 60’s and listen to the Byrds on the trip back home. Turn, Turn, Turn.

I’m happy with the way it looks and can’t wait (but I will) to see what it looks like with all the upper skins in place, polished aluminum in back and birch in the front. Getting the aluminum back up is the next phase. I have a new center piece still to be cut out and possibly some more stripping of old zolatone to do before the panels go up.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4030372.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	99419   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040374.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	99420  

Name:	P4040378.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	99421  

Old 04-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #184
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Looks great Steve.

You are just plugging along while some of us just can't move as fast!

Steve
Old 04-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Looks beautiful! I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished trailer.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #186
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Steve, that looks great. Nice work.
Norm
Old 04-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #187
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Wow. I was able to take the time and start from the beginning.. really really super progress. A very close friend's Dad has A's and it's challenging, but also very humbling too, as you are more aware of the good things every day. I wish you the best and will watch in earnest of your progress!

Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #188
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Steve,

I think you are pretty amazing and hope to meet you one day. Great progress.

Michael
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #189
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

I've got a battery box on order from West Marine that'll hold the two 6 volt golf cart batteries I'm planning to install all the way forward in the new cabinet tied to the recliners. I've used golf cart batteries on the boat for 20 years with really excellent service, so I don't plan to change.

I'm wondering about venting. Everything I've read says that my battery vent should exit to the outside higher than the battery level since whatever off gassing is done will be lighter than air. I'd like to use the type fitting commonly used for fuel vents on boats like these. The logical short tubing run would have them mounted near the midline on the front of the trailer. They'd be sitting behind the two 30# propane tanks and mostly out of the wind heading down the road. Question is: should I be concerned about the vents pressurizing the battery box instead of venting when we're going down the road?

Can't really think of a better place for the vents without having a long tubing run and it sure seems to me the vent needs to be above battery level. Any thoughts on this?

cheers,
steve

Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I dunno Steve, I don't think you'd have to worry too much for a couple of reasons...
1) Being behind the tanks, and in the slipstream of the truck, might actually make for a low pressure zone, pulling the gasses out.
2) Everytime you stop, whatever high pressure there was would release, and proper venting would occur again.
3) I doubt the pressure would build with the vents pointing down, a ram effect wouldn't take place.

You might want to make a gasket to seal between the bronze and the aluminum to keep galvanic corrosion from occurring.

I love the work you've been doing, the cap looks great!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #191
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks, Marc, I'm sure you're right. Not likely an issue.

Good idea on a gasket between the bronze and the aluminum. Not sure if I'll use those exact vents--they're pretty pricey.

Is it axle time for you yet?

-steve

Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #192
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Yup! I got a run around with the local dealer they raised their price $100 from their phone quote when I came in to order within 2 days time... refused to honor it. So I went to my friend Uwe, who I should've gone with in the first place, and ordered my axle. I went back / forth over having a disc brake axle or drums... I decided to go resto-mod and ordered some disc brakes. I have a electric - hydralic actuator already, so that made it kinda an easy decision. Besides, those huge calipers on the Dexter's look kinda cool!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Boy, they really knew how to build them in the 50’s!!

In the fall when we moved from the shady but soon to be muddy spot to the drier location for the wet winter, our original tongue jack failed. I got a replacement quickly, but cold and wet soon set in and that job was put off in favor of the inside jobs I did during the winter.

I had all day to work on the trailer today and the temperature hit 60 for the first time this year, so it was a good day to tackle the jack. As it turned out, I needed nearly all day as the old one was a bugger to get out.

It was fastened with 4 3/8” steel rivets. I ground off the heads hoping I could then drive the rest through, but no go. I drilled them out, but it still wouldn’t budge. I then attacked the thing with my trusty old Makita grinder and a couple hours later, just as the grinder went up in smoke, the jack finally gave up and came out.

The new one slid right in and fastened with grade 8 bolts. Nice to see the trailer sitting on a jack instead of all blocked up like it’s been.

I was sure I’d stripped the Zolatone from both of the upper interior panels that will hopefully go back in this week. I was sure but I was wrong. One panel needed stripping and it’s the usual fight trying to get the Zolatone off. This picture is after three coats of stripper. Clearly more to go.

Got an email from the son of the original owners of Island Girl when I got home from the “jackfest” and that really made my day. Lots of info about the trailer and it’s tow vehicles that I’ll be going through tonight. She went from Chicago to the Seattle World’s Fair!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4110381.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	100177   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4110380.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	100178  

Name:	P4110379.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	100179  

Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #194
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Lots of work there, Steve. What are you using to strip? To remove the zolatone (and the multiple coats of latex house paint over it) on my interior panels, I used the Citristrip and it took multiple applications and a heck of a lot of work with plastic putty knives.

Same thing for my aluminum interior light, three coats of Citristrip and a couple coats of regular-strength Kleen Strip Stripper, and all that came off were the multiple coats of thick latex house paint, but the original baked-on enamel finish wouldn't budge. Then I went to an auto paint supply store and told them I wanted the nastiest stuff they had, and they sold me some of the Aircraft Remover (not the spray-on, the brush-on). It took off that tough baked-on enamel in about ten seconds.

Anyway, keep it up!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks Marcus. Same method here. I've been using CitriStrip and the Kleen Strip. I've looked for the Aircraft Remover several places, but haven't found it yet. Should go to an auto paint place like you say. Probably, though, I'll just stubborn it out since I've got quite a bit of the various types around to use up.

Quite a bit of deep etching on this panel, much worse on the parts that were exposed Zolatone, as opposed to the areas inside the overhead cabinets. Not sure why, just more exposed I guess. Anyway, here it is after 5 coats of various strippers and sanded in spots with 320, 400, 500, and 800 papers, followed by G6 and the compounder. Not perfect, but it'll work.

I keep thinking of wires I should run, too, stuff not directly connected to the electrical system. Ran coax and Cat 5 for the computer earlier and today remembered to run some wire to the likely speaker locations. I'll have to stop remembering stuff when I get the interior skins back on.

-steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4140385.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	100366  

Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #196
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
gregory , Michigan
Marvelling about the Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Thanks, everyone. I'm definitely excited about her.

I've been kicking around ideas on that front window. Most important thing, here in our rainy Pacific Northwet is to get something in there pretty soon. Like the thought of plexiglass for resisting rock damage, but I've lived with it a long time on our boat and sure hate the crazing. I'll probably see what's available in safety glass first.

Belly pan outwardly seems to be in good shape other than one bad spot by the door. I want this trailer to last another 52 years, so I'm sure I'll do the whole subfloor, but won't decide if it's shell off or not until I see what I have for a frame. I suppose I might cut the belly pan off, leaving a healthy lip so I can get it back on if I do the floor with the shell on.

Anybody got any ideas on the fridge? I absolutely love the look of that Marvel that's in there, but it's 110 volt only and I'm sure I'd be much better off with a 2 way. I've done some searching but haven't found much. Wondering if there's any way to replace the guts of the compressor system with those of an gas/elec type. Or I wonder if I might be able to modify a gas/elec unit so it could give up its door and live behind that original Marvel door. Really want to keep that look if I can, but the ability to boondock will be very important to me. I dunno, down the road decisions anyway.

Thanks again for the welcome. Many questions to follow.

cheers,
steve

Hi Steve,
I have a 1958 Caravanner with the same cunundrum, I am doing every thing possible to restore the old Marvel refrigerator (which still works even if I have to use it only with 110v and not Boondock with it. Let me know your process if you go two way. Good luck!

Jim
airdoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #197
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdoxy View Post
Hi Steve,
I have a 1958 Caravanner with the same cunundrum, I am doing every thing possible to restore the old Marvel refrigerator (which still works even if I have to use it only with 110v and not Boondock with it. Let me know your process if you go two way. Good luck!

Jim
Hi Jim,

Yes, I'm still planning to go with a modernish 2 way and keep the Marvel's door. Probably be cold weather time again before I get to it. Boondock capability is really important to me. I'll probably face the new fridge with the Marvel door and it's existing frame.

-steve

Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Island Girl Has a Ceiling Raising Party

When I had the three big interior panels polished, I brought them inside the trailer and started to rivet them together. Buck riveted as far as I could reach by myself and clecoed the rest. Charlene was here for six hours today to watch Pam and I recruited some of my friends from the marina to help get what would be one large panel flipped over, lifted, and installed. My buddy Jim, who has bucked way more rivets at Boeing than I ever could on this trailer, shot the rest of the rivets while I bucked.

Just as we finished, John, Tom, and Karen arrived and, with the help of a couple of 2x4 T’s and some clamps, we were ready to flip the panel and lift it into position for clecos. We pushed and pulled for an hour or so and then clecos started lining up with holes at the back end. Pretty soon the panel was pop riveted back up. Big big difference in the way the trailer looks on the inside and it’s really satisfying to start getting some projects done.

Nice to have a great bunch of friends too. Really good day.

Meanwhile, back here on the boat, Pamela has decided to be compulsive about where my mouse sits on the mouse pad (for some reason, she has decided that it must always be in the middle). Windows sends me back to the desktop every time Pam touches the mouse, so I’ll admit defeat and wrap this post up.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4170386.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	100824   Click image for larger version

Name:	4200392A.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	100825  

Name:	P4200388.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	100826   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4200394.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	100827  

Name:	P4200395.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	100828  

Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #199
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
It's an all hands in the air- woo-hoo- party :-) Looking great!!!!

Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #200
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Absolutely beautiful Steve! Way to go!

The addition of the polished aluminum on the inside really sets the tone, and feel, of high end richness.
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1957, 1957 caravanner