Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravanner > 1952-1960 Caravanner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2003, 08:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

'57 Caravanner

i just purchased a 57 caravanner and while looking up weight and tongue weight info I noticed that for that year there was also a Caravanner S which weighs about 400 lbs. more. Does anyone know what oher differences there are between the two models? Thanks
drex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
57 Caranvaner "S"

I don't have any baseline information on the Caravanner "D", but the Caravanner "S" had these new standard features (in addition to the living room, double bed and toilet): an extra roomy shower (toilet and shower shared the same rear crubside room), a concealed wash bowl outside and just forward of the shower/toilet that converts into an attractive mirrored vanity, and an electric hot water heater. Because it is a sleep three model that can also sleep four, and has a double bed as standard equipment, I think the "S" denotes a Caravanner with a shower. The "S" was $3,769.00 retail vs. $3,395.00 for the "D".

Compare the above features against your Caravanner. Extra cost options for the Caravanner "D" and "S" were identical: pressurized water system, 3.9 cu. in gas refrigerator, septic tank for toilet, gas wtaer heater, puncture proof tire tubes and two butane tanks.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Neat another Caravanner! I think that makes 3 of us. Somebody has a 70's model here as well.

I'm still confused about the conceled vanity. I think that was dropped by the time our 59 was built. Our has the vanity just no cover over it. The mirror is actully the slide doors for the vanity overhead. 59 was also a transistion year. I know it was first year for the style windows ours has. Ours doesn't have the divider down the center of the side windows.

I'm not sure if ours is a S but it came with a pretty big reffer for the time. Ours is missing the original but the it was 54 inches tall . Most 22's of the era were not that big. It seemed to be better equipped for camping without hook ups. Our also included a inverter and a AUX plug on the exterrior to connect it to the tow vehicle to charge the battery.

The only things I can think of that would add 400LB is water tank, Black water tank, battery option and maybe A/C. I just don't see what else could be added to weigh that much. I think the base was set up as a Park model so no tanks at all.

All the fixtures in our unit are both 12v and 110 as well. The exception is in the front on either side of the goucho I have a 12v recessed fixture and a 110v sconse next to it.

All the floor plans from the 50's are very simular. All seem to be rear bed rear side bath and front Goucho. I have not run accross any pictures that show a dinnette.

These were built on the same platform as the Safari and Flying Cloud. On www.vintageairstream.com they have several pictures. There were some with a rear trunk into the space under the bed. Ours has a street side outside access to the space under the bed. Ours also has what appears to be a factory rear spare tire carrier. It has an actual brace to the body below the window with a cover plate that appears to be factory bucked rivits.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:35 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

To WeeWind and 59Toaster - thanks for your replies. I kept looking for replies in the forum I started the post and never found any. Eventually found them in the 57 Caravanner Forum. I apologize for not thanking you sooner, kept thinking my question wasn't getting posted. I sent the question out 3 times, so if you see it again please disregard. I'm new at using these forums.
drex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1957 caravanner