Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Fabric

My wife was at an old mill recently where they have set=up this cavernous fabric store. She picked out a pattern for the drapes. Below is the pattern:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hdabs14ivory.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	64876  

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Dehli Belly

It's just past noon on Sunday and I've been out working on the belly pan today. What a crap job this is..... Upside down on a creeper trying to align the sheets of aluminum.

At this point, this IS the worse part of the project. Polishing is a nicer job...

One more panel to do and I'm done... then it's off to install the propane lines.

Can't wait to go camping now!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Making Progress

We have been pushing pretty hard to get ready for our upcoming trip with the 56. All systems are go and the batteries are charging.

We put the front couch in yesterday and some of you might not like it. It's not done yet and I have to build out side tables and do a bent birch cover for the water tank below it. Plus the arm rests are not on it.

The cool thing about this is that it skates out to a full sized bed. Super easy to open and close. I like the picture since the original wall lamps look like they have flames coming out of them.

Here are some updated pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	65160   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	65161  

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	65162  

Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow View Post
We have been pushing pretty hard to get ready for our upcoming trip with the 56. All systems are go and the batteries are charging.

We put the front couch in yesterday and some of you might not like it. It's not done yet and I have to build out side tables and do a bent birch cover for the water tank below it. Plus the arm rests are not on it.

The cool thing about this is that it skates out to a full sized bed. Super easy to open and close. I like the picture since the original wall lamps look like they have flames coming out of them.

Here are some updated pictures.
Who would not like that? I think it looks great!

Those are the original light fixtures up in the endcap? They are so deco and cool, very similar to ones I'm considering making for my own trailer. Would it be possible for you to take a close-up of one of them, whenever you get a chance? I'd love to see a little more detail.

Keep up the good work, it's looking great.

-Marcus

Great progres
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
lookin' good........

Hi doug
Will you be heading north to PEI? Look forward to checking out your progress. This http://www.airforums.com/forums/f341...ml#post599740n tread has some of the casette type systems on this euro model. Very interesting. I don't know if it is anything like want you are thinking of but I like the idea.
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Staying local in August

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Hi doug
Will you be heading north to PEI? Look forward to checking out your progress. This http://www.airforums.com/forums/f341...ml#post599740n tread has some of the casette type systems on this euro model. Very interesting. I don't know if it is anything like want you are thinking of but I like the idea.
Gary
Hey Gary,

We're not heading to PEI this year, but I wish we were. We're staying local and hitting the seashore a couple times. We will be at the Fishermans Memorial rally and maybe a couple others, but it all depends on my work schedule.

The cassette system is what started me on the vacuflush path. I saw it listed on west marine. In looking at the set-up, there is no way to dump it without removing the cassette. The system I installed is the big brother to the cassette and stores the waste in a standard tank.

I like that thread you sent. The one that caught my eye was the external water tank. Hmmm, sounds like a project to me

Here's the picture I was referring to:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ASwater.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	65167  

Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
First time out

This weekend we were out with Over59 and Mistral Blue in the Berkshires. I had expected a rain out, since the weather in New England has been pretty much like the tropics. Rain every day. Last Thursday night and Friday were crazy, as it was all last minute jobs to be completed before leaving plus loading food and cloths for the trip.

Once on the road, the trailer did great. I had a full tank of water up front and noticed it towed better with it than empty. I had to watch the speedo since it was easy to cruise at 70MPH. The trailer towed straight and with no back and forth. I'm convinced it is easier to tow than my GLobetrotter, which was pretty good.

I did have one problem, but that was at the end of the weekend. The flow control nipples in the pump compressed and I was unable to pump the tanks until I got home. I suspect it was due to the fact I did not put an end cap on the discharge end and pressure built up while driving down the highway causing the nipples to compress. Not a fun job to fix, but one I learned a good lessons. Always cap your end

Here are a couple pictures at the campground.

D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010015.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	65461   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010021.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	65462  

Name:	P1010014.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	65463  

Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 AM   #88
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Sweet!! great to see it back on the road, at last. can't wait to see it "in person".

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow View Post

I did have one problem, but that was at the end of the weekend. The flow control nipples in the pump compressed and I was unable to pump the tanks until I got home. I suspect it was due to the fact I did not put an end cap on the discharge end and pressure built up while driving down the highway causing the nipples to compress. Not a fun job to fix, but one I learned a good lessons. Always cap your end

Here are a couple pictures at the campground.

D
that almost never happens w/ gravity...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #89
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Looks great Doug!

Can't wait to see more pictures, and possibly some of the exterior venting (Please)

Steve
Old 08-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Vent

Hey Steve,

The vent I used for my black tank was a dometic sani-vent which vents out of a 3/4" hose to the belly pan. THe vent filter is inline and terminates under with a perko fuel tank vent which is flush to the belly pan.

Here's a link to one similar Perko 0505 Gas Tank Vent

I had popped a hole in the floor and used PVC pipe to attach a t-fitting so I could vent both grey and black using the same. So far, works just fine.

HTH

D

Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Dry fitting

Last night and tonight I got out and dry fitted the upper front panel of the fridge cabinet. I also cut the hole in the roof for the dickinson heater. Before I wrapped up for the night, I dry fitted the dickinson heater in place. Looks good and should take the chill out when it's cold.

Here's a picture.

D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	65566  

Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Doug,

The place you have that hearter is exactly where my old panel ray went up (It is missing). That was a really good idea to add that there. I was thinking on adding a small wood burning stove, but there wasn't enough room. This gives me a great idea!!

You have provided a ton of insigt to how I can redo the 53 FC. I only wish I had more understanding of your black and gray system. I would think that waste could exit your tank into the vent tube, and follow its' way down out the belly pan onto the ground.

Awesome work.

Steve
Old 08-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
elevation

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Doug,

The place you have that hearter is exactly where my old panel ray went up (It is missing). That was a really good idea to add that there. I was thinking on adding a small wood burning stove, but there wasn't enough room. This gives me a great idea!!

You have provided a ton of insigt to how I can redo the 53 FC. I only wish I had more understanding of your black and gray system. I would think that waste could exit your tank into the vent tube, and follow its' way down out the belly pan onto the ground.

Awesome work.

Steve
Thanks Steve for the positive comments. I'm looking forward to watching your 53 come together.

As for the vents, it's all about elevation. The vent is located on the front top corner and then the vent line is above the tank all the way around to where the vent line dips down. The elevation of the line keeps the poo from escaping, but not the poo gas. The gas is trapped in the charcoal filter from Dometic. So far, no escaping poo.

The other one is that the discharge pipe has a bend that is higher than the tank itself. When the pump fires up, it has to push the poo up and over the bend to get it out. Short of any compressed nipples, the pumps are able to pump a fairly long distance.

One item I have yet to add is a tank monitor for each tank. These will tell me what level they are at without having to roll back the mattress and looking at the side with a flash light.

HTH

Doug

Old 08-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
ohhh... it's out! Looks fantastic Doug. Happy trails!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote