Old 07-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Tanks - How big is yours

I think it's funny how projects progress in spurts versus just steady state. These last couple weeks have seen the trailer go from near empty to most of the cabinets are in. The refrigerator is installed and bolted down, and tonight I cut the door for the wet-bath. I'll post some pictures.

My front gaucho replacement came in today and I set it in place. What I plan on doing is putting the fresh tank under the gaucho since there is space. BUT, I'm not sure what size tank I should use. I can fit several, but what I wanted to ask is what is a typically good sized tank? 20, 25, 35 gallons?

Is 20 to small?

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow View Post
I think it's funny how projects progress in spurts versus just steady state. These last couple weeks have seen the trailer go from near empty to most of the cabinets are in. The refrigerator is installed and bolted down, and tonight I cut the door for the wet-bath. I'll post some pictures.

My front gaucho replacement came in today and I set it in place. What I plan on doing is putting the fresh tank under the gaucho since there is space. BUT, I'm not sure what size tank I should use. I can fit several, but what I wanted to ask is what is a typically good sized tank? 20, 25, 35 gallons?

Is 20 to small?

Doug
You Funny - DO the Math

2 (female types) times x squared (X being showers and girl stuff) = you need a bigger tank.

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
Thumbs up water water everywhere

Love what you've done so far. I'm following along as my restoration continues. I made cavities for under floor tanks. I used 30 gallon fresh and grey. I would use as big as you can if you plan much boondocking, taking into account the added weight up front. Others seem to have gone 20-30 gallon tanks above floor up front without problem. How big is your grey? Other than what you drink and flush your fresh probably doesn't have to be much greater than your grey capacity when boondocking. I really like your vacuflush system. I've been looking at that system for my 58. I'm even considering the smaller casette system as I hate black tanks and those hoses!. Although its small the low volume per flush may be enough capacity for my needs. Once your up and running I'd be interested in your evaluation and thoughts. Great job. Ed
Old 07-17-2008, 05:07 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Tanks - How big is yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2batr View Post
Love what you've done so far. I'm following along as my restoration continues. I made cavities for under floor tanks. I used 30 gallon fresh and grey. I would use as big as you can if you plan much boondocking, taking into account the added weight up front. Others seem to have gone 20-30 gallon tanks above floor up front without problem. How big is your grey? Other than what you drink and flush your fresh probably doesn't have to be much greater than your grey capacity when boondocking. I really like your vacuflush system. I've been looking at that system for my 58. I'm even considering the smaller casette system as I hate black tanks and those hoses!. Although its small the low volume per flush may be enough capacity for my needs. Once your up and running I'd be interested in your evaluation and thoughts. Great job. Ed
I blame my good friend Over59 for introducing me to Marine toilets. He uses a macerator toilet in his rig and that got me thinking about using them in my set-up. As for the vacuflush, I started down this idea after seeing the cassette tank on West Marine. I then dug into the vacuflush website and read up on the different types of cassettes available, they even have one that is not listed that as a RV dump valve on it. The big draw back is the number of flushes for the cassette, which is about 9 per three gallons as I was told. I then payed around with the idea of using the cassette system and then pump it to a bigger storage tank, but that turned into a hack of an idea. I contacted Mike at Northest Sanitation and went through all my options with him. Super guy and helped me loads to understand what I needed and did not need. I also did a bit of reading on the boat forums.

I decided to go with the vacuflush system since it's flexible, I can modularize it, take bits apart if I need to and I don't have tanks sagging down below my frame.

As far as fresh water, when Colin did my frame work, he talked me into this idea of an infloor, stainless tank that would be about 4"x41x41". The frame was cut and modified for the tank, the problem with that idea is the space is to large and the floor was ill supported. I scratched that idea, stiffened it back up with a sleeper.

I measured the height again last night andloor fresh tank up front I think I'm going to fit in the 25 gallon tank. Seems to be the best fit considering the height.

Back to the vacuflush, the parts where plug and play and took me a day to put together. I have not strapped it down just yet since I want to get the toilet set and plumbed before securing the system to the floor. That's coming up this weekend.

My grey and black tank are 20 gallons. Balgrn introduced me to the grey water fairies, which magically take your grey away at night. Amazing creatures With the vacuflush system and the 20 gal black tank, I can get roughly 59 flushes as long as I don't eat bran.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Pictures of my mess

Before I hit the road this morning, I ran out and snapped a couple pictures of my mess. The white specs on the floor are the fly aways from when I cut the bathroom door with my router. Gets everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2588.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	63881   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2587.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	63882  

Name:	100_2586.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	63883   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2585.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	63884  

Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice, huge change from the last time I saw it on the way home form Collins @ the rest stop
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
Muddy, Thanks for the info on the vacuflush. Perhaps the casette is too small. I appreciate the contact you used. Perhaps I'll give him a call and discuss my needs. I may end up with a black system like yours. My fresh and grey tanks drop about 1.5 in below the frame so are not really visible and still hold about 30 gallons. Your system seems to be a good way to go and not have to do a bunch of frame modification like I did. Lots of welding! But its done now and I'm happy with it. Your trailer looks super so far. Your way ahead of me. Ed
Old 07-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
upper cabinets

I had built a replica of the overhead cabinets over the winter using baltic birch to make the bent corners. It took me a couple of tries and the baltic birch is what did the trick. DON'T try bending with regular ply, it just don't work....

I got home from work tonight all fired up and ready to install this cabinet. Took me a bit to fit it just right and I was pretty happy that the shape still fit the outline of the interior wall.

Here are a couple pictures of the replica overhead cabinet and the original Detz 12v light.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2591.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	64011   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2594.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	64012  

Old 07-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
WOW Muddy, looks great! A couple of questions...
The vacuflush... care to explain how it works? Do you need 12v's to flush? How does the vacume generated.... and does it suck the waste horizontally to the black tank?

I LOVE the cabinet work you did... I'll have to read your blog again to see how you made the bends.

And the stainless steel sink / counter? I shudder to ask ballpark a cost figure for making that.

Overall, I love the look. Can't wait to see more!
Marc
Old 07-18-2008, 11:59 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oops - read first, post later! : ) Ok, I think I answered my questions myself - Yes, Yes, Ikea.. cheap!
Thanks Muddy!
Marc
Old 07-19-2008, 12:19 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ok, one last question - how does water from the kitchen sink drain... does it go by gravity to the large tank, or does the pump need to make suction to get it in... I was thinking it would just drain into the large grey tank by gravity? The shower pump wouldn't put positive pressure in the tank, correct, it just helps it drain in?
Marc
Old 07-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
It sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Ok, one last question - how does water from the kitchen sink drain... does it go by gravity to the large tank, or does the pump need to make suction to get it in... I was thinking it would just drain into the large grey tank by gravity? The shower pump wouldn't put positive pressure in the tank, correct, it just helps it drain in?
Marc

Hey Marc,

Behind the toilet on the same plane is the vac generator and is connected to the toilet via a 1.5" tube. When you need to use the toilet, you raise the foot lever with your foot to add water, deposit your bran muffin, and then push the foot lever down to flush. The vacume pulls the waste and pushes it up and into the black water tank. Each flush uses about a pint of water and from what I've read on the boat forums they are the girls favorite toilet since there are no smells from the toilet leaking out the hole, as in a gravity system. This all remains to be seen, since I have the toilet just sitting there and not attached yet.

Once I need to dump, I have two dometic transfer pumps; one for each tank. Attach my hose to the discharge fitting and flip a switch; first black and then grey. Each one is on a separate circuit.

As for the grey tank, the sink will drain via gravity since the tank lower than the sink bowl. Standard 1.5" drain tube angled down. The shower pump works sorta like a dishwasher and will pump the waste water up into the same drain tube that drains down into the grey tank. I've not built RVs before, but I think this is a pretty simple set-up. Whatever the extra cost was for the vacuflush system, I certainly saved in time, energy, and more mods to my frame.

As for the sink, yes IKEA was my source. It was a St. Anthony moment, when I found it. Perfect size at 58.5". It's gotten a great deal of attention from friends who stop over. They ask the same thing, how much was your custom sink? $25 bucks at the IKEA clearance center. Even if you wanted to purchase it direct, the cost is not outrageous either at Ikea. The one thing is that the stainless is not heavy guage, ala Ikea. So if you do buy one, you'll need to plan on stiffing it up with some .25" ply and gorilla glue. Very simple job. I also added some insulation under to dampen the sounds.

The real story about the sink is that it started it all. I can honestly say that the entire floor plan was designed around this sink. It was the first thing I bought after pulling the interior apart.

A friend's husband works for a plumbing distribution company as a sales rep. He saw the sink and shower and said he had the perfect taps as samples. I'm waiting to see what he brings over. He said it would be a surprise.....

Have a good weekend.

D

Old 07-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for the information... I started reading about manual flush and electric flush toilets... seems the electrics don't need to be rebuilt as often as the manual flushes.. and yes, girls seem to like them better too! : )

This is such a sickness... can't wait to see your faucets!
Marc
Old 07-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Work vs. fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Thanks for the information... I started reading about manual flush and electric flush toilets... seems the electrics don't need to be rebuilt as often as the manual flushes.. and yes, girls seem to like them better too! : )

This is such a sickness... can't wait to see your faucets!
Marc
If this was not so much fun, I would swear it's work. I keep telling myself that all of this labor is good and burning calories

It's near 90 degrees here in the North East and I spent the day sitting in the aluminum sauna fitting panels. Such joy.....