4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Do it again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
You guys did noticed didn't you that that vintage photo of the trailer that they are towing that trailer with an International Travelall .

Scott of scottanlily

68 IH travelall / 60 tradewind

Post pictures of yours. These are very cool looking rigs.

I'm sitting on my stairs waiting for the real deal to steam. Took a quick ride to HD and picked up a bunch of clamps..... I have moved inside to the basement for this test run.

I'll post pictures of my experiment later.

D

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:54 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Steamed & Bent

Last night I steamed a 27x60" piece of russian birch 1/8 plywood and bent it over the form I made. This will be the long cabinet over the kitchen sink area. I am gong to use the original slides and potentially the orig doors but it will depend if I can re-cover them with a new material.

The next part of this project is to glue up 3/8" inch birch ply for the ends. I went to my supplier and asked if they could get 3/8" stock, which they could but it was more expensive than 1/2 or 3/4" because it was special order. I'll just glue up pieces as I need them using 1/4 and 1/8 stock.

Attached is a picture of the upper cabinet bent over the frame and the next bending project which is a smaller version of what is on the form now. The smaller one went over the 4 drawer chest which also has a bent top. I'll be making this over again as well.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #17
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
looking cool! i'm probably goung to start on some curved cabinetry in january. i'll pick your brain then for advice. it's nice when stuff starts to come back together.

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Its a shame that on the Caravanner forum page there is not a specific forum for 1956 Caravanners.

DISCRIMINATION I TELL YOU!

Steve
Old 04-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Its a shame that on the Caravanner forum page there is not a specific forum for 1956 Caravanners.

DISCRIMINATION I TELL YOU!

Steve
All you gotta do is ask ~

There is one now...and this thread is there.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Insideout....can you move this thread there too?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...tml#post378555

Thank ya kindly,

Steve
Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Already did...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Dual tracks

Hey Folks,

I picked up my trailer from GSM Vechicles last week and brought it home. They did the heavy work, while I'll be taking on the less heavy, but nonetheless, challenging work.

I'm keeping the details in my blog at http://my56caravanner.blogspot.com but I wanted to post a picture of the rig in the yard here as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backhome.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	36743  

Old 05-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
Last night I steamed a 27x60" piece of russian birch 1/8 plywood and bent it over the form I made. This will be the long cabinet over the kitchen sink area. I am gong to use the original slides and potentially the orig doors but it will depend if I can re-cover them with a new material.

The next part of this project is to glue up 3/8" inch birch ply for the ends. I went to my supplier and asked if they could get 3/8" stock, which they could but it was more expensive than 1/2 or 3/4" because it was special order. I'll just glue up pieces as I need them using 1/4 and 1/8 stock.

Attached is a picture of the upper cabinet bent over the frame and the next bending project which is a smaller version of what is on the form now. The smaller one went over the 4 drawer chest which also has a bent top. I'll be making this over again as well.
I'm watching your resto with great interest as I would like to do the same with the cabinets in my '54 FC. Nice work muddy!

How long does it typically take for the "bend" to take hold?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
bending

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I'm watching your resto with great interest as I would like to do the same with the cabinets in my '54 FC. Nice work muddy!

How long does it typically take for the "bend" to take hold?

Hey Yuki,

On my blog you'll notice that I took a slightly different track than steam bending, but using the same materials, Baltic birch. What I have learned through this process is that steaming the birch will help it form but will not make it keep it's form. The wood has memory and wants to go back to being flat. The first prototype ended up needing bracing and it looks OK.

The trick is to use two pieces of birch with glue in between. What I chose to use was poly glue (ala Gorilla glue). A thin layer inbetween and then putting it on the form for 24 hours does the trick. I did it by myself, but I would suggest having at least another set of hands there, plus LOADS of clamps. More the merrier.

Once you get your blank all bent into shape, the glue will keep it in form. What I also uncovered is this is the method by which Airstream created it's bent plywoods pieces as well. They glued and stapled pieces together over a form.

A good winter project.

I'm in the process of striping the front and end caps.... what a job! I cannot imagine doing the entire trailer this way. I have in my basement the rest of the aluminum from air-parts for everything other than the end caps.

HTH,

D

PS Since your are pseudo local, you're more than welcome to use the cabinet form when I am done.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:17 AM   #25
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Very cool trailer, man! I'm still in the middle of installing the baltic birch wall panels in mine. The polished endcaps look really good against the birch.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/381580-post389.html

one thing i did notice, though was how hot they got in the direct sun. Hopefully once the AC unit is in there, it will even things out. ouch!

i REALLY can't wait to start on my cabinets!! the curved edges are a very nice feel, i think.

Good work!

jp

Old 05-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
Very cool trailer, man! I'm still in the middle of installing the baltic birch wall panels in mine. The polished endcaps look really good against the birch.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/381580-post389.html

one thing i did notice, though was how hot they got in the direct sun. Hopefully once the AC unit is in there, it will even things out. ouch!

i REALLY can't wait to start on my cabinets!! the curved edges are a very nice feel, i think.

Good work!

jp

jp that looks awesome!

One thing you might be able to help me with since I was thinking about the same interior as you, as I liked the work Carlos had done. How much does the interior skin play on overall stability of the shell?

One set of panels, the top, are three lengths of .032 alclad solid rivietted together. I sorta suspect that this was done because they're structural. Another part was when I removed my skin and the hatch the shell seemed, and this could just be me, less rigid.

Why did Airstream skin the interior with the same .032 Alclad as the exterior? Was it for stability?

Old 05-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #27
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
now, i'm NO expert... but, having taken 3 of these things apart now, all i can say is inconsistency seemed to be their only consistency! first, on the skin issue, when these things first started rolling off the lot after WW2 it was all war surplus aluminum, which means alclad 2024t3... the good stuff. I noticed on my 59 that all of the skins, and i believe a few of the interior pieces were as well. on the endcaps, though one set of the curved pieces wasn't 2024t3, I can't remember which grade it was, but i assumed they sorta swapped things out there because 2024 may have been too brittle to make the sharpest set of curves on the end cap.

as for structure, i have towed an 18 footer and a 19 footer without any interior walls, and the 18 footer is ROCK SOLID, the 19 footer, though seems a little flimsy. you can push the wall in by the corner of the front window, for example. I think it might be the interior endcaps. my 18 footer has aluminum, while the 19 has fiberglass. that's essentially the only difference. i decided i wanted a strip of shiny aluminum running down the spine of the trailer. That may add a little structure to things, i don't know. the baltic birch is pretty strong, though. there is definitely a technique to getting it in flush against the ribs. If you are still concerned about the structure part (though carlos hasn't had any problems), you could always put a single sheet of aluminum along each side, and maybe in the front, then birch over that. mill grade aluminum wouldn't cost you more than $20 a sheet, and would be pretty insignificant, weight-wise (you could get away with .024, since the wood would be on top of it).

Just some thoughts! i DO love the look of the wooden interior, though. VERY cool!

jp

Old 05-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Absent Poster

I updated my blog this morning with pictures after nearly 7 months of inactivity and I thought I would do the same. I looked back over this thread and seeing those early posts, I can say the project has come along pretty well. I only wish I had both time and money to pour into it, as EVERYONE else wishes!! Gotta pay the bills.

So since my last post on the forums I've done a ton of work to my rig. Here's a brain dump:
- installed new running lights and tail lights (LEDS)
- removed interior shell and replaced with new aluminum.
- Stripped and polished front and rear shell. This will need to be done again due to heavy oxidation.
- Modified the interior to accommodate a little bit bigger wet-bath. I've also flipped the placement of the galley.
- re-insulated
- new wiring
- new fan and vents (these came out great. put the old hehr aluminum vent lids ontop of the vintage looking units from VST)
- new window openers
- new windows. rebuilt all of them and replaced gaskets on glass. Most of the rivet on seals were still good and I've left them alone.

Here are some pictures of the project so far taken this morning
Attached Images