Old 10-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
I have been making slow progress. I only have the front sheet of flooring to replace and I will have that done tonight. The frame looks good. I only the aft most cross piece to replace that was under the lav. I am getting about a sheet done per day, after work, after the kids go to bed, I drill all my clearance holes. Cut off any rusty bits that need. Pry the floor up and out. Scrape insulation. Pound out screw shafts. Scrape some more. Transfer the new sheet on. Back drill existing holes. Lock everything in place. Put the old piece on and transfer any clean holes if I can. Take it off and lay the c channel down where my now fresh pilots are. Transfer the rest of the holes into place into the new floor. Change, shower, and go to bed.
Repeat.
I have a welder lined up to replace the one piece and I will be shut down for a while on the frame after that. I intend to get a new axle ordered sometime in January. I won’t get to the belly until after then. I have the door off and in my garage and one window to work on until I get the rest of the windows out.

Pic of progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3036.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	272924  

Old 10-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #114
1 Rivet Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Did you decide to stay with regular plywood?
Enjoying your posts, because soon I will be going down the same slippery slope

Old 10-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #115
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtrader View Post
Did you decide to stay with regular plywood?

Enjoying your posts, because soon I will be going down the same slippery slope

I used ACX plywood. A and C on the faces X is exterior grade. I intend to epoxy the sheets after trimming so I didn't think it would make a difference with $150 sheets of marine grade if I was going to do that anyway.

I used 3/4. I think it will be perfect. It is a little smaller than a nominal 3/4. Plus without the flooring underneath drops the channel down to the exact same spot (ish).

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #116
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
The subfloor replacement is done. I feel really good about that. I meant to take a picture of the floors done but I forgot. Oh well. Trailer is hooked up being hauled away for repair, blasting, powder coating. Pictures of A beautiful stripped-down frame and my finished flooring. Ha ha that's the only picture I have of it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475940295.492971.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	273142Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475940308.380704.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	273143Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475940319.221943.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	273144

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
So this is strange to me. If you look at the pictures of my previous post of the frame there is an outrigger that appears to be missing. It would be the very first one that would be in line. There is a little 45 degree support on the right hand side but not on the left hand side. I tried to point it out on the picture below. There is a red arrow pointing to the one that is there and the space that appears to be missing. I checked the frame closely and there has never been anything welded into that spot. The frame is clean there. It doesn't appear to be ground on or rusty. It still has the black paint. It seams like a big span not to have any support. I would like to add one the same as the other side. Does anyone have any idea about this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3145a.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	273389  
Old 10-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #118
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
That's really interesting

Yes, mine has a matching outrigger on the other side, I would add it. So much for Airstream factory build quality.

"Hey Ed, don't put the floor on, you're missing an outrigger up front"

"Yeah, but it's just the little one, and it's beer-thirty"

"Here, let me help you with that sheet..."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	648.3 KB
ID:	273440  
Old 10-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #119
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post
Yes, mine has a matching outrigger on the other side, I would add it. So much for Airstream factory build quality.

"Hey Ed, don't put the floor on, you're missing an outrigger up front"

"Yeah, but it's just the little one, and it's beer-thirty"

"Here, let me help you with that sheet..."
Thanks for the info and the pic. It didnt seem right that there was nothing there. I must have a Friday model.

"Hey Ed, did you get that last rigger on? We want to put the floor on."

"Ed left early today! He said he wanted a long weekend."

"Oh well, we gotta get this done."
Old 10-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #120
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
I see where this hobby can get addicting.

I came across a 26' 1964 Overlander this weekend. I went and looked at it since I was close. The exterior was OK. A couple small dents needed to be pushed out. A cobbled repair to the water heater door would need a do-over. Overall not that bad.

The interior was original. Except for a couple pieces of veneer that were pealing at the bottom of a couple panels it was in really good shape.

Everything was there. It would only take a few hours of cleaning and you could be on the road with it and camping. I thought to myself, I don't have a 26'er, I could be using it right away, I have space to park it, I could take more time with the Caravanner and not feel rushed, and there would be more space for the five of us. The price was towards the high end but its a family friend so if I was serious I should be able to get a different price.

In the end I walked away. I know, I am disappointed. I am the first one to say that if you find it, buy it. You may not find it again. But, I also don't want too many projects that none of them get done. So I walked. Hopefully I can find it again.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #121
1 Rivet Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmtb View Post
I see where this hobby can get addicting.

So I walked. Hopefully I can find it again.
Should of....
would of...
could of...
The only thing that counts is "I DID"

Tags