Old 10-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #113
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
I have been making slow progress. I only have the front sheet of flooring to replace and I will have that done tonight. The frame looks good. I only the aft most cross piece to replace that was under the lav. I am getting about a sheet done per day, after work, after the kids go to bed, I drill all my clearance holes. Cut off any rusty bits that need. Pry the floor up and out. Scrape insulation. Pound out screw shafts. Scrape some more. Transfer the new sheet on. Back drill existing holes. Lock everything in place. Put the old piece on and transfer any clean holes if I can. Take it off and lay the c channel down where my now fresh pilots are. Transfer the rest of the holes into place into the new floor. Change, shower, and go to bed.
Repeat.
I have a welder lined up to replace the one piece and I will be shut down for a while on the frame after that. I intend to get a new axle ordered sometime in January. I won’t get to the belly until after then. I have the door off and in my garage and one window to work on until I get the rest of the windows out.

Pic of progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3036.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	272924  

Old 10-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #114
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Did you decide to stay with regular plywood?
Enjoying your posts, because soon I will be going down the same slippery slope

Old 10-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #115
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtrader View Post
Did you decide to stay with regular plywood?

Enjoying your posts, because soon I will be going down the same slippery slope

I used ACX plywood. A and C on the faces X is exterior grade. I intend to epoxy the sheets after trimming so I didn't think it would make a difference with $150 sheets of marine grade if I was going to do that anyway.

I used 3/4. I think it will be perfect. It is a little smaller than a nominal 3/4. Plus without the flooring underneath drops the channel down to the exact same spot (ish).

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
The subfloor replacement is done. I feel really good about that. I meant to take a picture of the floors done but I forgot. Oh well. Trailer is hooked up being hauled away for repair, blasting, powder coating. Pictures of A beautiful stripped-down frame and my finished flooring. Ha ha that's the only picture I have of it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475940295.492971.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	273142Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475940308.380704.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	273143Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475940319.221943.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	273144

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
So this is strange to me. If you look at the pictures of my previous post of the frame there is an outrigger that appears to be missing. It would be the very first one that would be in line. There is a little 45 degree support on the right hand side but not on the left hand side. I tried to point it out on the picture below. There is a red arrow pointing to the one that is there and the space that appears to be missing. I checked the frame closely and there has never been anything welded into that spot. The frame is clean there. It doesn't appear to be ground on or rusty. It still has the black paint. It seams like a big span not to have any support. I would like to add one the same as the other side. Does anyone have any idea about this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3145a.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	273389  
Old 10-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #118
4 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
That's really interesting

Yes, mine has a matching outrigger on the other side, I would add it. So much for Airstream factory build quality.

"Hey Ed, don't put the floor on, you're missing an outrigger up front"

"Yeah, but it's just the little one, and it's beer-thirty"

"Here, let me help you with that sheet..."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	648.3 KB
ID:	273440  
Old 10-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #119
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post
Yes, mine has a matching outrigger on the other side, I would add it. So much for Airstream factory build quality.

"Hey Ed, don't put the floor on, you're missing an outrigger up front"

"Yeah, but it's just the little one, and it's beer-thirty"

"Here, let me help you with that sheet..."
Thanks for the info and the pic. It didnt seem right that there was nothing there. I must have a Friday model.

"Hey Ed, did you get that last rigger on? We want to put the floor on."

"Ed left early today! He said he wanted a long weekend."

"Oh well, we gotta get this done."
Old 10-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #120
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
I see where this hobby can get addicting.

I came across a 26' 1964 Overlander this weekend. I went and looked at it since I was close. The exterior was OK. A couple small dents needed to be pushed out. A cobbled repair to the water heater door would need a do-over. Overall not that bad.

The interior was original. Except for a couple pieces of veneer that were pealing at the bottom of a couple panels it was in really good shape.

Everything was there. It would only take a few hours of cleaning and you could be on the road with it and camping. I thought to myself, I don't have a 26'er, I could be using it right away, I have space to park it, I could take more time with the Caravanner and not feel rushed, and there would be more space for the five of us. The price was towards the high end but its a family friend so if I was serious I should be able to get a different price.

In the end I walked away. I know, I am disappointed. I am the first one to say that if you find it, buy it. You may not find it again. But, I also don't want too many projects that none of them get done. So I walked. Hopefully I can find it again.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmtb View Post
I see where this hobby can get addicting.

So I walked. Hopefully I can find it again.
Should of....
would of...
could of...
The only thing that counts is "I DID"
Old 12-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #122
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Update

I haven’t been neglecting the Airstream. I just don’t have much to do right now. What I planned to have done by winter I completed.

I have been working or getting ready for the next steps though.

I am finding the true cost of remodeling this thing. First thing is that I only had a car. A four door sedan. So on my list of things was to buy a truck. So, I sold my car and bought a truck. Then, if you look back through my pictures you will see how cramped my garage space is to do any work. I always knew I have going to have space issues. I wasn’t sure where I was going to store it when I was done. I wasn’t sure where I was going to work on it when I put the top back on. I had all kinds of concerns. I told my wife I needed my own shop. She said fine but she gets a farm house and I have to remodel it. Hesitantly I agreed. So I sold my house and bought something in the country. I get a shop to work in and she gets me to do whatever she wants.

I just kind of breezed over that last part. Do you have any idea how much work in involved with finding a new house, cleaning and updating an existing house, packing, lenders, moving trucks, paperwork, unpacking, organizing, …etc. Any idea how hard that is with three kids under the age of 6? Well as luck would have it I found something, bought it, and sold my house in 7 ½ days from when we decided to pull the trigger. This house looks like a construction zone now. I have changed every light fixture and mirror. Painted three rooms. Trimmed out two rooms. Changed every outlet and switch. Replaced more electrical than I can describe. Moved a doorway from one side of the house to the other. Remodeled a bathroom. Swapped out a floor. Replaced a couple appliances. Fixed a chimney. Replaced a broken toilet flange in the floor. Installed an attic ladder… There is more I am sure. All this so I can have room for my Airstream project. Well, not just for it, but I don’t know if I would have even thought about it if I didn’t have this project going on.

In the end I got my shop. A nice heated and insulated 30x40 space that is all mine (for now). Plenty of space to park and move Sylvi around. Plenty of space for tools, equipment, and parts. Plenty of space for more if I decide to do this again. I even got enough space to camp without having to leave the comfort of my own property. All things I never considered in the true cost of this project.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Merry Christmas to YOU! The things Airstreams make us do....My plan to move isn't as near as yours, but the property is almost ours!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Jjmtb: were right there with you.

Friends ask how we ended up with a big older house on an acre when we might be of the age to downsize. We sheepishly say we needed somewhere to park the Airstream (s).

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #125
4 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Hahahahaha

You're a man after my own heart! Wow, a 30x40 shop is super cool, I just have a little 24x12 shop, but it's fully equipped. I love it that you're all in!
Old 12-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Reno , Nevada
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Can you guys offer advise for removing the windows and the screen frames? I have a similar AS and I am trying to replace the windows (broken) and the replace the screen material. I dont see how to get the frames out and put back without disassembling everything. Any advise or leads would be appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post
I don't think it really matters when you remove the windows, but they'll be a great winter project because they're extremely time consuming. I removed them and broke them down completely so that I could get to every nook and cranny. It's an i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e amount of work, but I'm more concerned about doing it right than doing it cheap or doing it fast. Depending on how much time you have they could take you all winter.

At the stage that you're at I'd be more concerned about getting an accurate template for the subfloor. Mine was in relatively good condition so I just laid the new plywood over the old and traced it, but it sounds like yours might be a little more complicated.

Measure, take pictures, take notes, measure some more, measure again, measure three different ways and write it down. Then take more pictures. I was certain I would remember how things go back together, so I didn't take too many pictures, but now that I'm rebuilding the bottom end I wish I would have taken more. It's the danged details that get you

Tags