Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmtb View Post
I see where this hobby can get addicting.

So I walked. Hopefully I can find it again.
Should of....
would of...
could of...
The only thing that counts is "I DID"
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #122
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Update

I haven’t been neglecting the Airstream. I just don’t have much to do right now. What I planned to have done by winter I completed.

I have been working or getting ready for the next steps though.

I am finding the true cost of remodeling this thing. First thing is that I only had a car. A four door sedan. So on my list of things was to buy a truck. So, I sold my car and bought a truck. Then, if you look back through my pictures you will see how cramped my garage space is to do any work. I always knew I have going to have space issues. I wasn’t sure where I was going to store it when I was done. I wasn’t sure where I was going to work on it when I put the top back on. I had all kinds of concerns. I told my wife I needed my own shop. She said fine but she gets a farm house and I have to remodel it. Hesitantly I agreed. So I sold my house and bought something in the country. I get a shop to work in and she gets me to do whatever she wants.

I just kind of breezed over that last part. Do you have any idea how much work in involved with finding a new house, cleaning and updating an existing house, packing, lenders, moving trucks, paperwork, unpacking, organizing, …etc. Any idea how hard that is with three kids under the age of 6? Well as luck would have it I found something, bought it, and sold my house in 7 ½ days from when we decided to pull the trigger. This house looks like a construction zone now. I have changed every light fixture and mirror. Painted three rooms. Trimmed out two rooms. Changed every outlet and switch. Replaced more electrical than I can describe. Moved a doorway from one side of the house to the other. Remodeled a bathroom. Swapped out a floor. Replaced a couple appliances. Fixed a chimney. Replaced a broken toilet flange in the floor. Installed an attic ladder… There is more I am sure. All this so I can have room for my Airstream project. Well, not just for it, but I don’t know if I would have even thought about it if I didn’t have this project going on.

In the end I got my shop. A nice heated and insulated 30x40 space that is all mine (for now). Plenty of space to park and move Sylvi around. Plenty of space for tools, equipment, and parts. Plenty of space for more if I decide to do this again. I even got enough space to camp without having to leave the comfort of my own property. All things I never considered in the true cost of this project.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Merry Christmas to YOU! The things Airstreams make us do....My plan to move isn't as near as yours, but the property is almost ours!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Jjmtb: were right there with you.

Friends ask how we ended up with a big older house on an acre when we might be of the age to downsize. We sheepishly say we needed somewhere to park the Airstream (s).

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #125

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Hahahahaha

You're a man after my own heart! Wow, a 30x40 shop is super cool, I just have a little 24x12 shop, but it's fully equipped. I love it that you're all in!
DDickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Can you guys offer advise for removing the windows and the screen frames? I have a similar AS and I am trying to replace the windows (broken) and the replace the screen material. I dont see how to get the frames out and put back without disassembling everything. Any advise or leads would be appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post
I don't think it really matters when you remove the windows, but they'll be a great winter project because they're extremely time consuming. I removed them and broke them down completely so that I could get to every nook and cranny. It's an i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e amount of work, but I'm more concerned about doing it right than doing it cheap or doing it fast. Depending on how much time you have they could take you all winter.

At the stage that you're at I'd be more concerned about getting an accurate template for the subfloor. Mine was in relatively good condition so I just laid the new plywood over the old and traced it, but it sounds like yours might be a little more complicated.

Measure, take pictures, take notes, measure some more, measure again, measure three different ways and write it down. Then take more pictures. I was certain I would remember how things go back together, so I didn't take too many pictures, but now that I'm rebuilding the bottom end I wish I would have taken more. It's the danged details that get you
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #127
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post
You're a man after my own heart! Wow, a 30x40 shop is super cool, I just have a little 24x12 shop, but it's fully equipped. I love it that you're all in!

Thanks. All I ever needed was a little nudge to make a move. I am fortunate to be in a position to do it. It's funny you say "all in". That's exactly how I described it to my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #128
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Jjmtb: were right there with you.

Friends ask how we ended up with a big older house on an acre when we might be of the age to downsize. We sheepishly say we needed somewhere to park the Airstream (s).

We originally thought we needed to go bigger. We went smaller with more outside. Seems like a great trade and the with little kids we will never regret it.

Plus... room for more projects. 👍

Old 12-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #129
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
Merry Christmas to YOU! The things Airstreams make us do....My plan to move isn't as near as yours, but the property is almost ours!

Merry Christmas to you as well. I hope it all works out.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #130
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert View Post
Can you guys offer advise for removing the windows and the screen frames? I have a similar AS and I am trying to replace the windows (broken) and the replace the screen material. I dont see how to get the frames out and put back without disassembling everything. Any advise or leads would be appreciated!

If yours is anything like mine there doesn't seem to be short cut to it besides full removal and rebuild. There may be a few ways to do it but only one way to do it right. Follow DD's advice and others and it will pay off in the end.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #131
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
1957 Caravanner Full Monty

I have been working on collecting parts I need for structural replacement. Now that the weather has turned in the land of cheese it's time to get going.

My axle is order and should show any day. The axle shocks mounts are made. All the c channel is new and waiting to install. The rear cross member that was rotted is ready to go as well as the missing outrigger. I sketched out what I needed and had a local fab shop make it all. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2399.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	561.5 KB
ID:	285802Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2317.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	285803Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2316.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	285804
Old 05-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Could you do me a favor and tell me what the total length is of your floor? Also what is the length of the front piece and the back piece. Thanks.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #133
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
As a Yooper Finnlander, I wish you good luck. I am glad the trailer is not just lost in the North Woods. It is a fine project. BTW I spent 16 years in Door County. You have a task ahead but you can win..
Bob
Vagabond Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #134
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Bob View Post
As a Yooper Finnlander, I wish you good luck. I am glad the trailer is not just lost in the North Woods. It is a fine project. BTW I spent 16 years in Door County. You have a task ahead but you can win..

Bob

Thanks. My wife's family are all finns. I have learned the correct pronunciation of sauna.

Yes. A fine project. I just want to do it justice.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #135
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtrader View Post
Could you do me a favor and tell me what the total length is of your floor? Also what is the length of the front piece and the back piece. Thanks.

I am not sure what you are looking for. My floor isn't on right now. Waiting on the axle swap then I will put it on. I could measure the frame. It not sure that what you are looking for.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #136
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmtb View Post
I am not sure what you are looking for. My floor isn't on right now. Waiting on the axle swap then I will put it on. I could measure the frame. It not sure that what you are looking for.
Lets see if I can try this again. I used 5 sheets of plywood. Each sheet was 85" left to right(road side to curb side).

Front to back each piece section is not 48 inches the front piece is greater than 35 and less than 40 inches and the rear piece is less than 48.

Just double checking to see where I need to line up. My front plate is not welded in place (yet) and my rear cross member was also modified when the frame was repaired. So I am trying to get other peoples measurements so I can be sure that I am close to where I am suppose to be... does that make any sense?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
Old 05-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #137
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
I can't really answer that right now. My floors aren't on or completely trimmed up. The frame is not at my house. It is still in winter storage waiting for the axle.

From what I remember I used 5 sheets. The rest was less than 48 and the front was much shorter.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #138
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Sos

I received my new torsion axle from Colin Hyde. I am in the middle of replacing it. I made the mount to bolt the axle to the frame. I am having a problem understanding the shock mounting. It looks like the shock mounts to the axle and then how does it mount to the frame. The only existing hole is tow inches away. I assume I need to weld a new stud on or bolt a new stud in place where the axle will mount?

Can anyone help me? Pics of completed mounting would be so great.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #139
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
1957 Caravanner Full Monty

Img_0182.jpg
Old 06-29-2017, 07:29 PM   #140
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
I just went through the top shock mount issue. We also received our axle from Colin and it turned out great. Don't remember the shock Colin recommends, but that is the one we used. We have a thread on our 55 renovation that shows pictures on how we fabricated the mount bracket. "Tale of a 55 FC Whale Reno" should show the way we made it. It is tight in the wheel well, but the shock can be replaced someday if needed. Just make sure you place the bolts appropriately where you can remove the nut and shock easily. Good luck. Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags