Old 08-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Windows

I don't think it really matters when you remove the windows, but they'll be a great winter project because they're extremely time consuming. I removed them and broke them down completely so that I could get to every nook and cranny. It's an i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e amount of work, but I'm more concerned about doing it right than doing it cheap or doing it fast. Depending on how much time you have they could take you all winter.

At the stage that you're at I'd be more concerned about getting an accurate template for the subfloor. Mine was in relatively good condition so I just laid the new plywood over the old and traced it, but it sounds like yours might be a little more complicated.

Measure, take pictures, take notes, measure some more, measure again, measure three different ways and write it down. Then take more pictures. I was certain I would remember how things go back together, so I didn't take too many pictures, but now that I'm rebuilding the bottom end I wish I would have taken more. It's the danged details that get you

Old 08-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Let me suggest that you definitely replace the belly pan & add grey tanks into your frame. They have them at Vintage Trailer Supply (whose next vacation you may be funding!&#128512. New axles are probably your best bet too. Not so much $ in the big scheme of things & probably the most important part of the whole project.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
Let me suggest that you definitely replace the belly pan & add grey tanks into your frame. They have them at Vintage Trailer Supply (whose next vacation you may be funding!&#128512. New axles are probably your best bet too. Not so much $ in the big scheme of things & probably the most important part of the whole project.
I intend to replace the belly pan and add a grey tank. I have seen those on VTS. I just have to decide where to put it and how to vent it.

Axels are going to be replaced as well.

I am still in the tear out phase but doing as much planning in my head as I can. I was up all last night building and planning when I should have been sleeping.

My wife thinks I am going to go crazy. I have been known to overthink things. Oh boy...

How about a couple interior pics...???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2389.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	268301   Click image for larger version

Name:	2390.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	268302  

Old 08-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
The tanks are skinny and can fit between the frame riggers and can be vented to your existing sink vents.

Steve from Vintage was so patient with us as we emailed back and forth with measurements and drawings. He knows his Airstreams.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
I'm finally going to install my tanks this weekend, I'll take pics and write it up on my other thread. At that point I can finish installing the subfloor and then flip it over to start working on the belly pan. I've found a local supplier who has 10'x4' sheets of .032 5052 for $59 ea, and that's what I'm going to use.

Are you going to go back with the same floor plan?
Old 08-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post
I'm finally going to install my tanks this weekend, I'll take pics and write it up on my other thread. At that point I can finish installing the subfloor and then flip it over to start working on the belly pan. I've found a local supplier who has 10'x4' sheets of .032 5052 for $59 ea, and that's what I'm going to use.

Are you going to go back with the same floor plan?
Awesome. You are cruising right along. I cant wait to see how your belly pan replacement goes and I can cheat off of you. This is going to work out great for me

As for the floor plan it is going to have to change. Somehow I need to fit a family of five in this thing.

I am thinking triple bunks in the back with dinette conversion for the front for me and the wife to sleep. Kitchen in the same spot. As I sketch this thing out I keep finding I have no room for a toilet. I may not put one in. I have had a lot of feedback on that. My point is that if you tent or pop-up you don't have a bathroom so whats the difference? Less hassle and stuff.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
The tanks are skinny and can fit between the frame riggers and can be vented to your existing sink vents.

Steve from Vintage was so patient with us as we emailed back and forth with measurements and drawings. He knows his Airstreams.
Thanks for the tip. I will be referencing all this info for future reference.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Floor plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmtb View Post
Awesome. You are cruising right along. I cant wait to see how your belly pan replacement goes and I can cheat off of you. This is going to work out great for me

As for the floor plan it is going to have to change. Somehow I need to fit a family of five in this thing.

I am thinking triple bunks in the back with dinette conversion for the front for me and the wife to sleep. Kitchen in the same spot. As I sketch this thing out I keep finding I have no room for a toilet. I may not put one in. I have had a lot of feedback on that. My point is that if you tent or pop-up you don't have a bathroom so whats the difference? Less hassle and stuff.
If you do triple bunks in the back and a gaucho in the front you could still have room for a toilet. I'm doing a queen bed in the back and a gaucho in the front (sleeps 4) and I'll have a kitchen with stove, oven fridge and sink, wet bath with toilet and shower, plenty of closet space, and a chest of drawers. I've attached a quick and dirty floor plan...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	268313  
Old 08-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post
If you do triple bunks in the back and a gaucho in the front you could still have room for a toilet. I'm doing a queen bed in the back and a gaucho in the front (sleeps 4) and I'll have a kitchen with stove, oven fridge and sink, wet bath with toilet and shower, plenty of closet space, and a chest of drawers. I've attached a quick and dirty floor plan...
I like it. What I find so interesting with all of this is that people have such different needs and can create a floor plan to suit there particular needs just right. My wife wants openness and counter space.

When I get a chance I will get a sketch up here for all to see.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:46 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
"Somehow I need to fit a family of five in this thing."

Might I suggest a ATU.

Auxiliary Tent Unit!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
"Somehow I need to fit a family of five in this thing."

Might I suggest a ATU.

Auxiliary Tent Unit!
My 6 year old thinks that is great idea. He wants to go as far as he can into the woods and bring his nerf gun in case there is a bear.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Open plan

Ah, yes, on open floor plan will be nice with all of those georgeous Windows. What is your serial number?
Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
appleton , Wisconsin
My serial # is 09144. I believe the caravanner in '57 went from 9100-9199.

I feel like the floor plan should take advantage of all the windows and natural light. So that is the idea. Lots of counter space and open.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #42

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmtb View Post
Ahh, great advice on the door opening. I hadn't thought of that. Plus, taking the door off gives me one more thing to thoroughly go through this winter.

I had assumed that the floor would/should be flush to the outboard side of the c channel. Is that not the case?

Geez I'm slow on a reply, huh?

I haven't seen 'flush' to be one of the factory build goals. On my '63 there were parts of the floor flush with the edge of the channel but most places the channel was overhanging by some random amount.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags