Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Traveler > 1959 Traveler
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Rivet Traveler floor layout options.

i've got a '59 Traveler that i've just started the shell-off restoration on (i posted the first day's progress under '59 Globe trotter). anyway, we're hoping to have the shell back on the frame in a month-ish, so i need to get the game plan together. i was going to put it back to the original layout, with the bathroom in the back street-side corner. it seems to be relatively open. the last thing i want to do is cut up the interior space with too many cabinets, however i have been trying to figure out if a rear bed option would work, similar to the 61 globetrotter vintage vacations did here:

http://www.vintage-vacations.com/61airstream_1.htm

these guys did a bang-up job on that trotter, but i believe the 61 trotter is a foot longer and has differing window arrangements that would make this layout impossible for my '59. i'd like to keep the shower, but something may have to give in that 1 foot less space, i'm afraid.

any other '59s out there with altered floor plans?

jp
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

The interior has not been altered, but it might be different from your Traveler.

http://homepage.mac.com/toutolmin/Casini/Craigs.html
Craig T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:43 AM   #3
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Rivet

i think that's the original layout of mine as well. i may go back to that, but make the cabinet where the fridge is more of a countertop to open things up. what is the area above the fridge? the pantry? that's about the only sketch i can think of that doesn't get too crowded. thanks for the QTVR!

jp
Old 11-04-2005, 04:53 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
hi all, have found a 1952 byam traveler in original shape. all things function, but was wondering about the possibilities of adding trailer brakes and holding tanks, as there are none. is it cost prohibitive? would have to be sent out, as am not mechanically able. beautiful trailer, but need it to function thanks, dieterdog
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i would think that would be a pretty time consuming overhaul. i'm updating mine from just a black tank to a grey and black set up, and it takes plenty of fabrication, especially in your case if it doesn't already have a toilet. if you're trailer is close to original, i would think you would be better off restoring it back that way, and finding a different camper that has the toilet/plumbing you need. water adds significant weight, which you would have to modify the frame for as well. just my thoughts.

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
Old 11-06-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Hi Dieterdog:

Trailer brakes would be the easiest and least intrusive addition; have the old axle replaced with a brand new axle that comes with electric brakes.

A potable water tank could be added somewhere out of sight or hidden. Or you could fill a 5 gallon plastic jug with drinking water and store it under the kitchen sink. Drop a small hose in it from either a hand pump or a 12 volt pump (but then you'd need a 12 volt battery, etc.) to get the water to the countertop.

I didn't think this early a trailer came with a toilet. Is there one there? If not, consider using a porta-pottie that could be stored in the closet or otherwise hidden from view. If a toilet is there, then adding a black water holding tank would depend a lot on the toilet location and how much support would be available for the black water weight. The chassis frame may, or may not, have to be strengthened to handle the extra weight, depending on tank location and capacity.

Instead of a grey water tank, how about just placing a 5 gallon plastic jug under the kitchen drain downstream of the sink trap? An alternative would be to use an exterior 'blue boy" water tank at the kitchen sink exterior drain.

It would be far more difficult to add a 12 volt electrical system. Propane appliances (hot water heater, furnace, refrigerator) would require some thoughtful work, as would other conveniences we take for granted today.

If the trailer is great original condition, and you are not excited about adopting yourself to the trailer, then you might consider passing it along to someone who would use it as originally built and look for a slightly newer trailer with more modern conveniences for yourself.

Good luck with your decision and the trailer. Please keep us posted. Pictures would be enjoyed.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote