Old 12-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Not yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber View Post
We had a friend in Sac call the number. It turns out to be an '87 SOTR. Darn.
It is a 1987 27-32" trailer with the tow bar that prevents the trailer from swinging. It has two air conditioners, one heater, refrigerator, shower, two twin beds in the back and the couch turns into a bed. I can be reached at 530 xxx xxxx

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #100
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
It is a 1987 27-32" trailer
Hmm, we got a stolen trailer here; I suggest real owners add more info to their ads so we don't get sidetracked.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
This was more of her email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Hmm, we got a stolen trailer here; I suggest real owners add more info to their ads so we don't get sidetracked.
This is more of the person's response. I didn't think I needed to post the whole thing since it is not the stolen trailer. Some people are not technically able to post photos and some don't know a lot about what they are selling as in this person's post. She is not an Airstream afficionado it appears. (I have xed out her address and phone #)

"I am not very good at pasting fotos. The trailer is located at xxxxxx County Road xx, Woodland, CA If you are from out of town, let me know and I will get someone to help me with the fotos.

It is a 1987 27-32" trailer with the tow bar that prevents the trailer from swinging. It has two air conditioners, one heater, refrigerator, shower, two twin beds in the back and the couch turns into a bed. I can be reached at 530 xxx-xxxx. I need to sell, please make an offer that I cannot reject. I took it in because someone owed me money. "
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Have you considered posting a reward for the trailer, either on Craigslist, in the paper, etc.? Your insurance company may even be willing to pay for that if it means they don't have to pay for the replacement. Otherwise, I'm thinking it may be in a shed somewhere and may stay there for awhile until the "air clears" and they think it's safe to bring it out to try to sell... may not be until spring or even later.
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:16 AM   #103
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I would hope this thread would stay visual as much as possible. If the thread is not visible people will forget. Maybe a thread for only stolen airstream property. If the RV is sitting in a shed somewhere it becomes out of sight out of mind. We want airstream people to remember when spring comes around. I am sure by reading the other posts you have given the police the Vin # on the trailer. Does Canada have the vin#?

I know a while back somebody else had a airstream stolen out of their yard. If I remember correctly it was a small one. I was going to put my trailer in the driveway to work on it, but I am going to wait until the holidays because I don't want to leave it in a position to be stolen. After I was reading about yours being stolen by getting the locks off I became worried. All one needs is a good battery operated reciprocating saw or battery operated grinder wheel with a cutting blade. I have mine in the backyard and I own a fence with two dogs.

The big thing here in Atlanta is the stealing of catalytic converters and copper from aircondtioners. They were hitting parking lots with fences with the tops lined with barbed wire. Sometimes they were getting 30 to 40 catalytic converters when they would steal.

I really hope those slime balls get caught. Everybody needs to keep their eyes open, and secure their trailers. I think with the economy the way it is stealing is going to become worse.

Lothlorian
Old 12-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #104
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
There's NO way to move this thing without hiding it, so...

Your beautiful trailer can't move anywhere without being easily seen and identified.

This means that it pretty much has to be somewhere nearby, under cover, or moved somewhere under cover.

Have you tried checking nearby storage unit rental companies to see if anyone has seen anything, or if anyone has rented a unit recently that would be big enough to accommodate your trailer? Remember that the trailers are pretty tall and require a larger than average sized garage door height, so it would be a unique rental unit.

I'm not sure how these are hauled across country for shipment, but it would seem to need specialized equipment that most people wouldn't have just lying around. Would one fit in a standard shipping container? Where would you rent a vehicle transporter large enough?

Also, the person who stole it must have seen it somehow. Is you street well-traveled? Do you have new neighbors, or old neighbors who recently moved? Did someone recently do some work on your house or another house in the neighborhood? Has a salesman or other solicitor recently been around the neighborhood? I think this was most likely a crime of near-opportunity. Someone in your neighborhood saw it within a few days prior to stealing it and said "nice trailer...."

I think the northern border is a bit far, but the trailer would certainly be memorable to any Canadian border agents... who moves a shiny airstream NORTH this time of year? I would say that a quick trip up there to talk with the supervisor would be worth it. Maybe bring some Starbucks gift cards. This time of year, people are often willing to help for no particular reward.

After hearing your story, I have decided to go to my local car alarm installer and have one installed in my airstream.
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #105

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
With the axles & ac, vents removed, it could fit into a container. I believe this was one well-planned rip off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	72580  
Old 12-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #106
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
Sorry... not everything made it into my last post.

I have thought a lot about this.

First, the method of the theft is either pretty daring or stupid. 11:30 p.m. on a Saturday night, with you and your neighbors around? I don't think they used a hammer, or that would have really woken people up. It was probably a large pry bar. They probably didn't know ENOUGH about the trailer or trailers in general to raise the stabilizers. The scraping metal sound could have been the stabilizers, or could it have been the sides of the trailer scraping against an enclosure? But a vehicle big enough to contain an 18 footer would need a big engine, and that should have drawn your or neighbors' attention. We're not talking any hydraulics here either... would you wake up to one of those trash dumpster trucks in your back yard?

You don't need much more than one of those hitches that has 3 different balls on it (available just about anywhere).

So, I really think that this was most likely an amateur crime of opportunity. Which makes things like Shanghai-ing your trailer to Shanghai a bit less likely.

Your trailer can't move anywhere without being easily seen and identified. This means that it pretty much has to be somewhere nearby, under cover. The alternative would have been to move it a long distance. If it went a distance outside a container, it would have had to have gone that night. And if it went that night, it had about a 7 hour window until daylight the next day. Also, it would have had to have been properly towed and connected, or it would have attracted attention somewhere. The alternative was it was moved under cover, but that would imply a really planned operation. I agree that if it was brought to the port, it would still be there. It can take MONTHS to ship things (I know from several trans-oceanic relocations).

Have you tried checking nearby storage unit rental companies to see if anyone has seen anything, or if anyone has rented a unit recently that would be big enough to accommodate your trailer? Remember that the trailers are pretty tall and require a larger than average sized garage door height, so it would be a unique rental unit. I agree with a previous post that an old warehouse nearby would be a good point to check, but again, that would have required premeditation.

I'm not sure how these are hauled across country for shipment, but it would seem to need specialized equipment that most people wouldn't have just lying around. Would one fit in a standard shipping container? The height of those is 7'8" and the width is 7'5" or so. Where would you rent a vehicle transporter large enough?

Also, the person who stole it must have seen it somehow. Is you street well-traveled? Do you have new neighbors, or old neighbors who recently moved? Did someone recently do some work on your house or another house in the neighborhood? Has a salesman or other solicitor recently been around the neighborhood? I think this was most likely a crime of near-opportunity. Someone in your neighborhood saw it within a few days prior to stealing it and said "nice trailer...."

If it was transported my favored scenario is that someone took it for a hunting trailer. I was never really familiar with the term "hunting trailer" until I moved here to Vancouver, WA, outside of Portland, OR. It's very redneck-y here and many of my neighbors and patients hunt. Anyway, these are trailers that are hauled out to some wilderness somewhere and more or less left near your favorite hunting spot. Why my favored scenario? Everyone who hunts has a big ol' 4wd pickup truck with a hitch. Usually the hitch is permanently on there for pulling work trailers (carpenter, plumber, landscaper). Second, within 2-3 hours of you to the West and to the East, you have some good hunting land. Third, I believe that elk season is just past and we are heading into hunting season for various migratory birds. So either someone realized that they could have used a trailer, or realizes that they will be needing one. Fourth, if you are going a-hunting, people aren't going to question you pulling a trailer around in the dim hours of the morning.

I think the northern border is a bit far, but the trailer would certainly be memorable to any Canadian border agents... who moves a shiny airstream NORTH this time of year? I would say that a quick trip up there to talk with the supervisor would be worth it. Maybe bring some Starbucks gift cards. This time of year, people are often willing to help for no particular reward.

To get east from you, out to the Olympic Peninsula hunting grounds, you would either have to take a ferry (again, you have to plan ahead to book a reservation, and I am pretty sure there are no ferries at that time). OR, you have to go south first, to Tacoma and then west and north. You MIGHT get some results by calling the US forest service.

To the west of you there are also some major hunting areas. Don't you have a new national forest there? Again, a call to the rangers might help.

I think that you will find your trailer. It is just to hard to hide.

Until then, I live about 3.5 hours from you. We have the same tow vehicle, so if you want a non-classic loaner to explore the beauty of SW Washington or beyond....

After hearing your story, I have decided to go to my local car alarm installer and have one installed in my airstream.
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #107

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We grew up in that area; there are only four ways to get it out of where they live and the
ferry would not have been very smart that time of night. Plenty of areas along Alki to
stash it. Seven hours is a ton of time to book; but all the lights would have had to work.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #108
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Hi all,

We agree with all that's been said... It's hard to hide. Keep your eyes open and your fingers crossed that we get her back soon.

Our most recent theory is someone took it to camp in for the week and then plan on dumping it somewhere. And we're not sure they did get the hitch lock off, so maybe they had to chain it to the TV to get it out of the alley? If that's the case they for sure would not be able to go very far with it without damaging something.

Thanks for keeping the thread at the top of the portal!

katie
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #109
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
check the impound lots

Call all the police impound lots in your area. If the thieves dumped the trailer somewhere, it could have been hauled in as an abandoned trailer, just sitting there until the paperwork catches up to it. And not all impound lots are particularly sharp, or honest. The impound lot that towed my wrecked motorscooter waited nearly three months after my accident, then tried to charge storage fees for that amount of time, or we would lose our driver's license if we didnt' pay the fees. Marie had gone the very next morning after the accident and gotten it, but the paperwork took that long to get to us after the fact.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #110

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We'll continue to keep the thread until you've found her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	72596  
Old 12-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Ccd

Hi, just wondering if Christopher Deam, designer of the CCD, has ever found his 16'er that was stolen from his yard? I agree that this thread needs to keep alive and in our minds until this case is closed. Eyes wide open for polished 18'er with orange awning. We, at this time are on vacation; from Lakewood, California to Oregon coast [midway up on 101] and now headed back home. "Eyes Wide Open."

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #112
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Your news is very distressing and somewhat concerning as this very scenario could happen to any of us...I wish you well in your restoration process. I do not know if I can be of much assistance as I, too, am trying to 're-do' my 1974 AS Sovereign....

As crazy as it may seem, years ago my (now ex husband) and I had been traveling many miles before deciding to 'boondock' overnight--we were thousands of miles from home...We had decided upon staying in our AS as the weather was so good.

I was awakened in the 'wee' hours of the morning to two male voices outside of our AS These voices were male and were saying, "Come on, we can steal it and sell it before anyone can do anything about it". I yelled out of the AS door for them to 'move along' and that we were inside with a gun!!!

I really don't know how stupid these guys were as for the following facts:

1) WE WERE STILL HOOKED UP TO OUR SUBURBAN--WE HAD AN ELECTRIC JACK BUT I STILL CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THESE GUYS THOUGHT THEY COULD STEAL MY AS WHILE IT WAS STILL ON THE VEHICLE!!!

2) We were at a truck stop that had not only a restaurant, but showers, as well as a nearby hotel....I think these guys thought that no one was in the AS at the time....The weather was sooo cool, hence the reason for boondocking...

3) Apparently these people either 'heard' of knew of the reputation of the AS, but my guess is that they were going to re-sell her...BEWARE--some people are stealing and re-selling aluminum and have our AS's as their bankroll!

While I was in California, I was offered 'big bucks' for my 1974 sovereign from a movie company. I was told how much money they were offering and that the particular stars that they had mentioned was on the movie set and wanted to have an AS for their dressing trailer....I NEVER entertained this thought...Sure the money sounded great, but I was not sure that my AS would not be used as a 'prop' in a movie and then destroyed...

So, several years since travel nursing, I sit at my permanent residence with my AS at my mother in law's--(she lives across the street), and I must admit that even though as many offers that I have had from 'other people' to sell my AS--I just could not part with her..I am trying so hard to get parts for her, but I am helping to raise my 2 year old nephew, my 5 year old niece, my step daughter, and my handicapped son.
You will learn that if money is an object that you will become somewhat creative...
Good Luck with everything--
My dream---to go streamin in my AS----of course after winning the lotto!~
Take care guys and good luck once again on everything...