Old 12-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Seattle (Auburn), WA , I still love my dirty water and my Red Sox-originally from Boston!
Send a message via AIM to SUEHOWIE Send a message via Yahoo to SUEHOWIE
Hi Guys, I am down in Auburn, WA. This may be a little late in thinking but is there any way to let the Canadian border patrols know about it? They do typically search every single one that goes through the borders. I will also keep my eye out down here. This just sucks. It sucks outloud.

I also wouldn't think it would be loaded that quickly for an overseas shipment. I would be more concerned with northern borders than anything, seconded closely by aluminum recycling, but with prices these days I am doubting that too.

That really is a bold move for that area.

SUEHOWIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #44
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Here are a couple of other resources:

Anthony Damata's Global Craigslist Search Engine

The second one shows serial numbers of vehicles reported stolen or totalled, as of a couple of minutes ago, your trailer is not shown:

https://www.nicb.org/cps/rde/xchg/ni.../vincheck.html

I'll watch for somebody trying to sell this trailer to us at our shop...

Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
There were two locks on the tongue. A Universal trailer lock (big yellow lock that goes in place of the ball) and a smaller coupler lock. Both were removed easily with bolt cutters. I've linked to photos of the locks at West Marine's website:

West Marine: Universal Trailer Lock Product Display

West Marine: Brass Coupler Lock Product Display

An experience from another trailer being stolen (a cargo trailer from work) is that no matter how many locks or chains or bight lights there are - if they want it bad enough, they're going to get it. IF we get the trailer back (and I definitely hope we do) or get another, we will be looking at high tech protection for it- such as Lojack.

Thanks for all your support and advice on this thread as well as some PM's today. They all really help. We spent five long months last winter doing a shell off-restoration of it. I would have never had the courage to tackle such a big project without the wisdom and resources that we've found on this forum.

Ryan.
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Ryan and Katie,
As I read this post I am SICKENED by the thought of someone stealing your beauty. I will certainly keep my eyes peeled down California way as I am planning some winter camping in the coming weeks. Don't give up hope, with the great group we have here on the forums and all of the dedicated aluminatics searching nationwide, chances are good that it may be recovered. Please keep us posted.
-Todd
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Deer Park , Washington
This really *$%%#% me off! I have a Safari I spent two years restoring and two Boles-Aeros from the 50s I am restoring. I live in a remote area in Eastern Washington and I am always worried about someone getting my babies. I am shocked that the ball hitch lock did not work as that is what I use and they are not cheap. Now what do we do do to protect ourselves? How do we protect our investments when we are in a strange camp ground and we want to go somewhere all day? I will keep on looking in all the local papers and the Spokane Creg's List.
custom67as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
check this out, very interesting, own power source, relatively inexpensive with no monthly costs, anyone heard of this company? So many I looked at were a grand, or at least 500 bucks plus monthly fees more than cable tv. This seems to be pay when you need to access..
Anti Theft Device for Stolen Vehicle Recovery - Smart Track by Rocky Mountain Tracking
Wally Byam's 1955 26' European Caravan Trailer!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
hmmm, I can see how a bolt cutter could get to these. I have one of these
Overton's - Gorilla Guard Trailer Lock
for my boat.. I'll be looking for one for my trailers. In my opinon, these would be very hard to get off, they don't have any outside purchase that a bolt cutter could get too.

Bummer we have to think about this.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Charlottesville , Virginia
You can do mulitple city/state searches on craigslist by using www.craigshelper.com
uniquemicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
So did this happen in your driveway, while you were home, or from an unattended storage facility, or what? The Gorilla Guard lock mentioned here might thwart thieves with a bolt cutter, but I guess truly determined and inventive vermin could figure out a way to still haul it off. I will certainly be on the lookout for your beautiful trailer, I can't imagine it staying anonymous for long and I bet someone spots it. Best of luck!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #52
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
They would have to have gone down California Ave. to get to I-5, depending when the
coach was jacked, WSDOT cameras might have caught it heading towards the Canadian
border. What is that, a three hour drive? We grew up down the street, we're blown away.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #53

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I belong to a irrigation forum, nationwide. Is there a way I could post the pics of the
stolen coach on that forum? I have a MacBook.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
The trailer was parked in its pad, on our property. The spot is parallel to the alley that runs behind the house. We were home and recently asleep when we think it was taken. (We've got a 7 week old baby and catch our zzz's quickly these days.) One of our alley neighbors heard a scraping sound around 11:30 pm Saturday and thought it was someone dragging around garbage cans. Turns out what she probably heard were the stabilizer jacks scraping on the gravel/concrete as the trailer was pulled away.

Mike, you're more than welcome to pull the photos off our original post if you can. We'd be glad to email them to you directly if that doesn't work.

Katie
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Stopped by to check on progress... You all are still in our thoughts.
Big hugs!

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #56

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I posted a pic on my irrigation forum & one of the guys said he uses this for all his rolling
stock. Looks pretty cool.Zoombak Personal GPS Locators ×€ Portable GPS Tracker ×€ Vehicle Tracking ×€ Family Car Monitoring ×€ Dog & Pet Finder
Galls me that it's come to that.