Old 12-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #141
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I think that people that steal should have their hands ---well, I will refrain from my comment, however, all of us work so very hard for everything that we have and to me there is not enough justice....Just think of what happens to people that steal in other countries--their hands are cut off and worse....If the U.S. would envoke more strict laws, perhaps others would think more than twice on stealing what we work so hard to attain!! I wish you well, and hope that you will recover you AS soon!!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #142
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
sorry to whoever. Apparently I offended someone by the first statement. Using "feel sorry for" was read as "good going" I seem to offend a lot.
Don't worry about it! I knew what you meant. People are too easily "offended" anymore, I think. We wouldn't want anyone to not get their way, nevermind that anyone else might have an opinion.

Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I know what you were going to say.....Have their hands Massaged with a Machete!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #144
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
No word yet...

on our trailer. We're still hopeful that we'll see it again soon. Meanwhile, we're hip deep in photocopying receipts from the restoration for the insurance assessor (sp?). We hope it doesn't come to that.

Keep your eyes peeled and fingers crossed!

Happy Holidays everyone,

Katie
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #145

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I know it just wouldn't be Christmas without our trailer! Hang in there. If it's in WA it's probably not moving much right now! When the weather thaws maybe they'll take it out and try to sell it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #146
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
One more thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber View Post
on our trailer. We're still hopeful that we'll see it again soon. Meanwhile, we're hip deep in photocopying receipts from the restoration for the insurance assessor (sp?). We hope it doesn't come to that.

Happy Holidays everyone,

Katie
Sorry about your trailer and we hope you recover it as that is the best outcome. In the meantime, perhaps you can benefit from our experience. Our 69 trailer was broadsided about one year ago and we were able to convince the insurance company that our trailer was "collectible and restored." We did have our receipts but as important if not more so was the professional appraisal we had prepared by one of our forum members (I think he is SilverPal and he is from Ojai, CA). Having a professional appraiser forces the insurance company to obtain one as well as I understand it. Our outcome was a good one as a result. If you have more questions about our experience, feel free to pm me. Take care and we are all looking for your trailer. Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #147
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Stolen trailer

I'm sorry, Had a friend's trailer ( 65 Safari) stolen form my property earlier this year. No words to describe, you just want the trailer back. Don't know where you live exactly ( I know it is close to Seattle) but if it is a smaller community? We posted a reward at the local store, and finally recovered the trailer when someone spotted it where thieves had stashed it. $300 well spent. I just put in the post I would pay a substanial reward. I feel like our theft was a spur of the moment thing (just looked neat & something they could pull off) and they didn't realize how few Airstreams are around no matter if old or new and if in a small place it will be spotted. (Large city is probably the exception). Most thieves are working on impulse and not planned ou stratagey. They could have gotten a Mercedes or Hummer if they really were smart.
I didn't think we would find this trailer but made the effort to post reward & broadcast as much as I could and it worked.
Barkingdogg, Oklahoma
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber View Post

Happy Holidays everyone,

Katie
I have been following your story and may have missed the suggestion that the thieves could have attempted to steal this in hopes of cashing in on the aluminum and other parts at a metal recycling operation.

The reason I ask is a few people have asked me this that did or could not believe an old travel trailer would have more value than the sum of it's parts, the skin included. I have witnessed people look at my trailer after comments like this way and it's downright creepy.

There are people that will go to great effort for small return and destroy something better in the process. Think of all the copper wire and rain gutters stripped out of properties over the last few years.

Would checking in with salvage metal yards be something to consider?
Good luck with your search.
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:34 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Along with the rest of the economy, the recycling business has crashed. The money in recycled materials is a fraction of what it was six months ago. Hopefully the thieves know that.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Evil thought.

Hi, I was just thinking; I hope the thieves parked the trailer on a hill and it rolled back over them. I think they would call that "self justice".

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I wonder if you sent an email with pictures to all the flying clubs in WA and OR and ask them to post on the bulletin boards. Perhaps as they fly over the various parts of the State they might notice something shiny they hadn't seen in the past? I realize it is a long shot but what the heck, these folks are over areas that are typically out of the way so if the trailer was hauled to someones fishing or hunting camp out of the way this may be the only way for it to be seen.

Barry
Old 12-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Or, possibly someone from the local Civil Air Patrol...they might be interested in some practice activities...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #153
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
You can tell the Civil Air Patrol to keep their eyes out, but they cant just go search for a trailer. As a member of the CAP for almost 10 years now, I know that it helps when there is an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) on whatever they are looking for, but they dont have the authority to go searching on personal property. But they can keep their eyes out for it!!!! Cant hurt to tell them about it.
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #154

1958 18' "Footer"
Laguna Beach , California
Angry Our condolences!

Hi~
I just wanted to tell you how sorry we are that your little trailer got stolen.
(we just saw your piece on the Forum web page).
It is so sad that someone would do this!! We have an 18 footer ourselves and know how we treasure these vintage trailers. Our son and his wife have recently moved to Seattle, so we will forward the pictures to them and ask them to keep an eye open!
As will we, here in California. . .And we will hold a positive thought for your recovering your trailer soon.

Regards,
Linda and Mike Hogan,
Laguna Beach, CA

lindarhogan is offline   Reply With Quote