Old 11-11-2002, 10:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Berlin
Send a message via MSN to Hagen
Exclamation Regulations in Germany

Hello Airstream Fan!

Only times again my apology according to standard for the bad English, but we work here with a translator. Now I would like to write times over the difficulties in Germany over the restoration of our Airstream. Which perhaps also some other members from Germany to confirm can do. Here in Germany there is two authorities the TUEV and DEKRA means. These two authorities ensure for the fact that in Germany the vehicles are in a normal condition. Each vehicles must every two years for examination there. Likewise these authorities are also responsible for which concerns the security of the electrical connection, gasanlagen and the fensterglas. First which happens to one in Germany, if one acquired a Airstream and for the road it liked to permit it is that one must renew the axle and the pole completely. Here no trailer or camper those gives to be braked electrically separated only mechanically or with air pressure and therefore the change. Also the electrical connection for headlight, stop light and signal light must be changed, because for example with us the signal light yellow and not red is as in America, but that is different from Land of the Federal Republic to Land of the Federal Republic. Likewise applies also to the gasanlagen in the camper, since there is a European standard in Germany. There devices may be taken only with the safety seal (GS) in enterprise. All devices this indication do not have, with exception of campers the one special permission or under inventory protection, do not apply that. That unfortunately does not apply however to Airstream from the USA. In Germany the gas units for campers must 30mbr pressure have and be equipped with a zuendsicherung, which is to prevent the inadvertent leaking out of gas. This happens in such a way, should the flame times go out with gas cooker or heating within 60 seconds the gaszufuhr is interrupted. That is to have been it times only briefly over so some difficulties with the restoration of a Airstream in Germany. But which one does not do everything for its hobby.

By Hagen

Homepage: http://www.Chevy-Van-Globetrotter.de.tf
Homepage: http://www.Airstreamer.de.tf

Translator Englich-German :o

Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:40 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Berlin
How do you change the axles? what do you replace them with?

Hello Ron!!!

To thanks for the note, modified also directly. Now to their question, how we let the axle or wave modify. We brought our Aristream Caravel in a workshop in Berlin, where the axle (wave) is renewed there as the framework and the pole (hauling equipment) completely. The old sections are changed by new, so which is again drivingready he. Costs of the change approx. 3000, dollar. Most Airstream needs a new framework because it rusted or are even through-rusted and thus are no longer stable for German roads. That applied also to our Airstream. On the height where the toilet found was through-rusted and unstable become the framework. The years contributed their section to it. If I the Airstream again back have I a few pictures on my photo gallery and homepage will bring in. I hope which I it question to some extent answering could.

Thanks still times for the note

By Hagen

Homepage: http://www.Airstreamer.de.tf
Homepage: http://www.Chevy-Van-Globetrotter.de.tf
Translator

Old 12-15-2002, 07:43 AM   #3

Thumbs up

Hagen,

Congratulations, you have done a good job on your Airstream.
Nice pictures.
Did you install the interior yet?
Keep us informed of your progress.
Good luck!

Ron
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Interesting post Hagen. It sounds as if the Germans are more concerned with gas safety then the Americans. Most heaters here have a thermocouple to shut the gas off after the pilot goes out. The exception to that is the cooking stove, which does have a pilot for burner ignition, but no thermocouple. I am curious though, why electric brakes are prohibited. It would be quite an expense to equip an Airstream with air brakes, and also equip the tow vehicle with an air compressor, air tanks and treadle valve, off of the hydraulic brake system on the truck.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 10:34 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Berlin
Pick

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Interesting post Hagen. It sounds as if the Germans are more concerned with gas safety then the Americans. Most heaters here have a thermocouple to shut the gas off after the pilot goes out. The exception to that is the cooking stove, which does have a pilot for burner ignition, but no thermocouple. I am curious though, why electric brakes are prohibited. It would be quite an expense to equip an Airstream with air brakes, and also equip the tow vehicle with an air compressor, air tanks and treadle valve, off of the hydraulic brake system on the truck.
Hello

Property even your message read and wants to answer it also directly.
Here in Germany there are not only electrical brakes with the
streetcar however with vehicles such as trailers and truck is
permitted it in completely Germany. This system is not as with
compressed air or with linkage and therefore had we all to changes to
also leave probably as safe. Even we had attach to let different
lighting. For schau times on my Hompage, there already the newest
pictures are brought in after the change. I can, if Intressiert the
regulations procure it times and times bring in in the forum. So that
is to have been it only times. Greeting Hagen from Berlin Germany
excuses please the bad englich however I operates here with a
translator for the translation.Homepage Hagen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ansichten super.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1032  
Old 12-15-2002, 05:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Hello Herr Hagen

What was the cost in Germany for the new axle and brakes?
oldvws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 05:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

in Germany trailers over ( I think) 750 kg - about 1600lbs must have brakes, mostly they are hydralic brakes like a car, they are activated by the trailer tongue. Here is mounted a master cylander , when you stop quickly the tongue moves forward activating the master cylander and the brakes, In the USA they are called "surge brakes" you can look at Herr Hagens rebuild and see the new tongue welded on the chassis.

Also in Germany you must have a handbrake for the trailer, most I have seen are by brake cables like a car. When you unhook the trailer you pull the lever (just like your car)

Also towed trailers are limited to 80 kilometers per hour in Germany (50 MPH) even on the Autobahn so try not to get stuck behind one !

oldvws is offline   Reply With Quote