Old 06-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Looking to put brakes on my 59' Globester

Any suggestions of a system that would bolt to stock axle?
I have no trailer brakes at this point.
Thanks in advance.
Chip

twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Do the axles have a plate (4 or 5 bolt) on the area behind the spindle? If so, a 4 bolt plate will be the mounting for 10" brakes. A 5 bolt pattern is for 12" brakes.
You can get complete brake assemblies at most auto part or trailer supply stores.
If the axle does not have the mounting plate for the brake assembly back plate. It would be best to install a new axle. IMHO.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Old 06-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Do the axles have a plate (4 or 5 bolt) on the area behind the spindle? If so, a 4 bolt plate will be the mounting for 10" brakes. A 5 bolt pattern is for 12" brakes.
You can get complete brake assemblies at most auto part or trailer supply stores.
If the axle does not have the mounting plate for the brake assembly back plate. It would be best to install a new axle. IMHO.

well I feel kinda dumb as it does have brakes.

It's the 5 bolt 12" brakes. The guy I bought it from said it didn't but he wasn't very mechanical as I've fixed many other simple things already in a few months.

Now my question is how did these brakes work?
Are they hooked up to the brake light wiring to activate?
Also how would they know how much brake to apply?
I see the brake line T's off up into the underbelly but haven't found a brake master cylinder / reservoir inside the trailer interior anywhere.

I was going to hook up the harness and have someone step on the brakes and see if they work. I definitely want to get that working if it isn't.

Also how do you know what parts to buy? I may rebuild, have the drums resurface, wheel bearings / cylinders, shoes etc...

I'm new to the trailer scene but have been messing with cars, bikes, Atv's, small trailers, construction all my life. This is a new money and time sucker for me.

one last thing is maybe I'm not posting this properly as it doesn't show up as new topic. seems like that would get more viewers. How do you post a topic as opposed to a thread?

Thanks again for any info.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You have to have brake controller installed in your tow vehicle. It does what the name says, control the amount of braking supplied to the trailer based on several factors.

Detailed and useful information here,

Trailer Brake Controller Information | etrailer.com

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
You have to have brake controller installed in your tow vehicle. It does what the name says, control the amount of braking supplied to the trailer based on several factors.

Detailed and useful information here,

Trailer Brake Controller Information | etrailer.com
ok, now is there a brake master cylinder somewhere accessible?
I saw the line Tees up into underbelly but unable to find reservoir.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you saying you think the coach has hydraulic brakes?
Are there bleeder valves on the back plates? Can you pull the drum off and post a pic of what you have found.
I am not aware that A$ had hydraulic brakes I that era.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Are you saying you think the coach has hydraulic brakes?
Are there bleeder valves on the back plates? Can you pull the drum off and post a pic of what you have found.
I am not aware that A$ had hydraulic brakes I that era.

definitely hydraulic brakes, bleeder valve..etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0797.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	240323  
Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Hi twolanehwy:

Hydraulic trailer brakes is an idea whose time has long since passed. Here's my advice: find a trailer repair shop outside of SF that works on horse trailers as they likely will be more competent than an RV repair shop. Tow your Airstream there very carefully and have them replace its hydraulic brakes with electric brakes by installing two new loaded backing plates with electric brakes. After doing research to decide which brand and model you want (or which others highly recommend), also buy from them (or elsewhere of they don't carry exactly model you want) and have them install an electronic brake controller for your tow vehicle. Have them install the connector plugs on both the Airstream and your tow vehicle, wiring both to match RV wiring, and have them show you how it all works and can be adjusted. Good luck!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Hi twolanehwy:

Hydraulic trailer brakes is an idea whose time has long since passed. Here's my advice: find a trailer repair shop outside of SF that works on horse trailers as they likely will be more competent than an RV repair shop. Tow your Airstream there very carefully and have them replace its hydraulic brakes with electric brakes by installing two new loaded backing plates with electric brakes. After doing research to decide which brand and model you want (or which others highly recommend), also buy from them (or elsewhere of they don't carry exactly model you want) and have them install an electronic brake controller for your tow vehicle. Have them install the connector plugs on both the Airstream and your tow vehicle, wiring both to match RV wiring, and have them show you how it all works and can be adjusted. Good luck!
good advice as newer technology would be wise i figure.
most likely i'd need to rebuild this system.
i will check that route out.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
The master cylinder would've been mounted on top of the tongue. If it's not there, then a PO removed it. The way these worked was you'd hook it up by tapping it directly into the TV's brake system (!). Definitely a dated technology that's not compatible with modern cars.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #11
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
The master cylinder would've been mounted on top of the tongue. If it's not there, then a PO removed it. The way these worked was you'd hook it up by tapping it directly into the TV's brake system (!). Definitely a dated technology that's not compatible with modern cars.
Yes, I 've come to terms with that. Thanks for your input.
Going to start and research out sources. Any suggestions would be appreciated out there as I'm sure many have done such to an older AS.

I talked to a gentleman in Reno who is doing restorations on older AS and he said the same thing. I'm going to tow mine up and discuss with him.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Looking to put brakes on my 59' Globester

I would just get new electric brake assemblies.
Then wire the trailer for electric brakes. Put a controller in your TV and be done with it.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
Site Team

, Minnesota
Really is just that simple, as TG says. And cheap. Just need to mount the backing plates, run #12 wire to the tongue, install a breakaway switch, then mount a brake controller in the dash of the tow vehicle. You may need to install a 7-way trailer plug.
Is slightly more complicated if your tow vehicle isn't wired with a tow package and 7-way trailer connector.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #14
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Really is just that simple, as TG says. And cheap. Just need to mount the backing plates, run #12 wire to the tongue, install a breakaway switch, then mount a brake controller in the dash of the tow vehicle. You may need to install a 7-way trailer plug.
Is slightly more complicated if your tow vehicle isn't wired with a tow package and 7-way trailer connector.
I'm looking around and find many loaded systems. Mine is 12" x 2" pads.
I've taken off my backing plates and have found a few numbers on shoes, drum, bearings and am trying to cross reference to make sure before I order them.
Many dealers don't know what works with what which is pretty typical of suppliers nowdays.
Nobobdy wants to say that will work and then it doesn't.
From what I understand the standard backing plate as I described should work but want to wait until I find a supplier that knows what they are talking about.
Called many trailer repair shops and as soon as I say its an 59' As trailer they are like "oh I don't know about that".
Once those are installed and wire is run then I can find someone to hook up controller.
I already have the tow harness wiring set up for brakes lights / running lights etc. Seems like all they need to do is connect to brake wire up in the cab which sends a signal to the trailer.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I think you will find that the drums for electric brakes are different then for Hydraulic brakes and if you change them you need to make sure that the new drums and bearings fit the older axle shafts. that's why it's easier to just change out the whole axle unit with bearings and brakes included.

1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote