Old 07-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Any suggestions for DC power converter uprgrade?

I am tearing into my Globester 1959 19' trailer.
Of course its like buying an old house and everything is half assed.
Hack jobs seem to be the special feature in old homes and trailers too.

I have an semi upgraded probably a while back. The converter is an Parallax 6300 Q series. I noticed that it was just flopping around in the cabinet where it was mounted.
Also the fan is not working which is not good. It doesn't appear to be easy to replace the fan either.

Whoever installed it did a nice half ass attempt at best. They stapeled in some old wood trim to the ceiling for a face mount support and had few screws holding haphazardly in place.

I will be using aluminum riveted into ceiling for main support but decided probably best to upgrade system before I do that.

Any suggestions on a decent system?
thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0114.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	242965  

twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Lots of people on the forum use Intellipower 9245 or the Boondocker series. Good upgrades.

DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Did the past owner use the 120 volt section of the Parallax unit? That is does it now have the 120 volt circuit breakers in it? Or, did they just use the 12 volt portion only?

If they didn't use the 120 volt part and that is still a circuit breaker box someplace else in the trailer, I think scraping the unit you have and putting a PD 9245 converter charger in, with a new fuse block, would be best. The Parallax is a single stage converter/charger and if it is not working right, it is not worth repair. Then use the original 120 volt side and location for the grid power system. You might want to upgrade the 120 volt CB box.

If they re wired the 120 volt side to go through the unit you now have you could get a better and newer combined PD unit and start with that.

But you are wise to do it right this time, not he hack job that has been done.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Did the past owner use the 120 volt section of the Parallax unit? That is does it now have the 120 volt circuit breakers in it? Or, did they just use the 12 volt portion only?

If they didn't use the 120 volt part and that is still a circuit breaker box someplace else in the trailer, I think scraping the unit you have and putting a PD 9245 converter charger in, with a new fuse block, would be best. The Parallax is a single stage converter/charger and if it is not working right, it is not worth repair. Then use the original 120 volt side and location for the grid power system. You might want to upgrade the 120 volt CB box.

If they re wired the 120 volt side to go through the unit you now have you could get a better and newer combined PD unit and start with that.

But you are wise to do it right this time, not he hack job that has been done.

Yeah, using 120 volt as well. I am going to do a body off in the next year or two as the floor is not too good. Cutting in sections right now but I don't like half ass jobs at all.

In the mean time I am making it safe, new Dexter Torflex axle, shock, wheels, tires. I put in electric brakes and new drums, breakaway box, led tail lights. I am also getting a weight dist. sway setup for my size trailer.

I have taken out the toilet and fixing the rot there. Also up by the original water tank rot. The entry door has rot under fridge. Someone cut a hole in the left side and put another water tank which I don't like. I'll also need to replace a few panels...damn, the more I look the more I see.

Aye I wish I hadn't bought this one as I would have been better off buying less expensive gutted and started from there....oh well, live and learn at the university of hard knocks.
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote