Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Traveler > 1959 Traveler
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2004, 07:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 26' Overlander
birmingham , Alabama
59 Airstream Globester?

Hi all,

While poking around in my 59 18footer (california made) I noticed a schematic of sorts pasted in the wardrobe that states "Airstream Globester". At first I misread it as Globetrotter which surprised me...but it actually says Globester.... Is this a model? I never see much about these, only that they are referred to as Travellers or 'no names'...

Also, it doesn't have the forward swooping wheel wells which I thought was a California thing... What year to they stop doing that? My wheel openings are symmetrical

Just curious...

Thanks.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I used to have a 59 Traveler. Don't remember seeing anything about Airstream Globester, but my wheel wells were not forward swooping - they were kinda pointed in the middle. You can see a picture of my old trailer on the vintageairsteam site.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Trabuco Canyon , California
Are your wheel openings circular? The wheel openings on our 59 CA built Traveller are circular and it is my understanding that it is indication that the trailer has a caravan package. The caravan package included larger, circular wheel openings, larger rims, heavy duty springs and axle, no entrance step, dual spare tire carrier, and a higher ride height. There are pictures of our trailer on the Vintage Airstream website under 1959 CA Traveller. Ours is the last trailer pictured.

Geokid1
geokid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Geo

Is that you Herb? Long time no talk to - I assume yours is the second set of Traveler pictures, mine was the first set until I sold it last year - wife thought it was too small - boy do I miss that trailer - working on a 58 Overlander - much bigger, but feels like the Traveler which is pretty cool.

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 06-30-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Airstream Globester ? ? ? ?
I've never heard of a Globester either and I thought I was up on all this era of Airstream models. You can check out my wheel well openings on my website airztream.com or by reviewing the archives for 1959 Trade Wind. These seem to be the standard shape for our model year. The swooping style was in earlier models, if I'm remembering correctly. Of course, i could be completely off base (disclaimer).

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:51 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Ken - Herb sold his traveler too....to us! John and Crystal Nordenstam. We bought it back in the first part of May. One week before our wedding, so we did not pick it up till the first week of June. This is our first AS and we love it. It is the perfect size for us. We just went on our first trip last weekend and we had a great time with the trailer.

Geokid1
Old 06-30-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Cool - Herb and I and some others had a little Traveler sub club going for a while. It was back when none of us knew what we had - it was Herbs title that said Traveler and so several of us did some research and found that that was what we had.

I really liked my Traveler and still miss it - my 58 Overlander just feels like a big Traveler! My wife thought the Traveler was a bit small - I thought it was perfect size - guess who won?

Welcome to Airstreaming, marrage... and the Airstream Forum!!

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 07-07-2004, 08:37 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 26' Overlander
birmingham , Alabama
geokid1

That definately sounds like my traveller/globester? esp. the height. In fact, that was my brothers first comment when he saw it..."...could that thing be any taller...?"

The wheel openings are actually more of a 'reverse-chevron' kind of thing...

And the leafsprings have a goofy, low-hanging 'hoop'? type thing that looks almost like an extra leaf thats been bent around almost like a sled rail or rocking chair rockers... very odd and very close to the road. I assume they're some sort or add-a-leaf or overloads? who knows? they may not be 'factory' to this model. Could they be part of the heavy duty axle? Wheels are 14.5...

We also have what is supposed to be the original step/stool thing...?

Does anyone have any idea what was across the front of the trailer (interior)? I'm assuming (again) that it was a couch or goucho bed or ? I'm planning on making a dinette/double bed but just wondered what the original set up was like...

You guys are a great resource!!! thanks a bunch...

Doug.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:16 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Yep, based on the ride height and "bent springs" that is the heavy duty axle setup from the caravan package. The "bent springs" are skids to support the trailer if you break an axle. If you lose a tire on other trailers, the trailer is going to hit the pavement.

As far as the dinette, I can send you pictures of the interior of our trailer if would like. You can see photos and a layout of a 1959 Traveler at vintageairstream. com in the photo archive section. The Traveler came with a front dinette and the Globetrotter layout usually had a front gaucho. However, the early AS trailers could be very customized so any type of layout could have been in your trailer. If the original flooring is in your trailer you may be able to determine the front layout by looking at the marks/screw holes in the floor.

It seems like a lot of people with front gaucho Globetrotters are replacing the front gaucho with a dinnette (this became a factory option on the Globetrotter in 1966). It makes a lot of sense. We are very happy with the layout of our trailer.
Geokid1
Old 07-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
My '59 Trade Wind has the original booth in the front with slight modifications added. You can see pictures at airztream.com or on the vintage archives for '59 Trade Wind. I can also send you add'l pictures if needed.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:06 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 26' Overlander
birmingham , Alabama
Thanks,

Thats great info. My 59 has a front window shelf just below the window but I can't find where anything was screwed to the wall. I just replaced the front 1/4 of the flooring so I'll have to refer to my 'before' photos... Maybe that shelf went behind a couch?

Do any of you guys have any experience converting to electric brakes...? I've still got that archaic hydrolic thing on the tongue and just out of curiousity I can't imagine how it was operated originally?

Any pictures of what the original grey and black water tanks looked like...? I might have the same black water tank, its a square tank with the corner docked off. about 6 inches tall and painted red? but the grey water tank is from the '80s, located in the wardrobe and fits horribly. I will probably reconfigure the current toilet closet/wardrobes setup so any suggestions will help.

I really like the size and layout of this trailer and can't wait to get it back on the road...

Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #12
Julie F

1959 18' "Footer"
1976 27' Overlander
Sandy , Oregon
I just bought a 59 Globester which is being restored now. The guy who is restoring it, found the nameplate in the clsoet on the bottom. The Globester has a couch in the front and the stove is to the right of the sink. Very excited to get it in a couple weeks but do not have alot of info on this model. Anyone know anything about Globesters? I believe there was not alot of them made and they were a custom model.
winebuff is offline   Reply With Quote