Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Pacer > 1959 Pacer
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #41
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Man-o-meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Sandy I will be bringing tools with me on my mission. I will bring a manometer and we can leak test it then.
I told my husband that you were bringing man-o-meter and he said "You mean a ma nah meter?" Yah, that's what I meant. So I don't know some tool pronunciation type things....it was funny. (You had to be there.) Thanks for helping on this-not an emergency and you will have a lot on your mind as you head off to get your treasure.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #42
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
By George, that's it!

Never guess what I found looking around today....the mysterious object hanging in the closet of the Pacer. Turns out it is a bag holder with hooks on the bottom. Interesting....not so many paper bags around like the old days though. I will find a use for it...maybe to collect receipts from rebuilding this nifty little camper.

Two mysteries solved and one to go.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bag holder.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	143262  
Old 10-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Just a thought.. You could put the reusable shopping bags there. They fold quite nicely in that manner, and then your trailer is silver AND green!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #44
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Green and sliver and rusty

Peter: Now that might be a good idea because I hate to waste anything. I am getting the bag caddy in the picture for the other AS because I think they would come in handy. I can always find another use for something it seems but that is why I end up with so much stuff....

Here are some other photos of the state of the Pacer. I am not even sure of what we should think of doing first....when we get that the point of being able to work on it. The fridge would be nice to save if it runs and we could get it fixed up.

The other pictures depict some of the exterior work that needs to be done. I am thinking we won't run out of projects on it for awhile. I would really like to expose the original Zolatone finish but wonder if I get it all stripped off and find it is too damaged to keep. That would be upsetting and not worth all the chiropractor visits to correct my aching back from an attempt at removing the turquoise paint over the Zolatone.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fall 2011 069.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	143316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fall 2011 087.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	143317  

Name:	Fall 2011 115.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	143318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fall 2011 169.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	143319  

Old 10-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #45
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
What happened here?

Here are some shots of the belly skin that have a number of circular holes in it. I am not sure what would have made them and there are three evenly spaced along one side of the trailer. They are about the size of a dinner plate and it looks like whatever it was, the object seems to have been lifted right up into the belly pan. There are no scrapping marks just a straight up and into the skin. Another mystery on my hands.

One interesting item is the PO said the underside had no holes so that is why there are no mice. There are not only these three holes but another one that is badly patched where the heater was removed. I crawled under there when I originally went to look at it asaid there were big holes in the belly pan. And the PO said "I wonder when those happened?!" I don't know if someone tried to jack it up and take off with it or maybe the PO just didn't have a clue. It is hard to believe you could miss those gaping holes unless you shouldn't be allowed to legally drive because of your vision.

Fortunately, I don't really have to solve it as clearly a new belly pan is in order. I am just curious about what it could have been to cause that kind of damage. Replacing the belly pan will be a project for a little later down the road. The Albatross is first in line and has waited for a year already.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fall 2011 179.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	143320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fall 2011 181.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	143321  

Name:	Fall 2011 182.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	143322  
Old 10-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
If you find a way to get the paint off the zolatone - we want to know!! I think it's been subject and parts of threads here and so far, not a big success and many folks have ended up stripping the inside of all paint and starting over. We thought we may have some success because the stripping went well in the closet, but then found in the main part of the trailer the PO had used Killz primer before painting. We found a stripper that would take off the latex and leave the zolatone alone, but it will not budge the primer.

Maybe your circular indentations are from a jack or stabilizer that wasn't where it really was supposed to be and it it couldn't hold the weight. Just a thought...

It's hard to not dig into it right away... You do need to fishish the other first, it's only fair .

Tina
Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #47
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Tried Aircraft Stripper today

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2bcarefree View Post
If you find a way to get the paint off the zolatone - we want to know!! I think it's been subject and parts of threads here and so far, not a big success and many folks have ended up stripping the inside of all paint and starting over. We thought we may have some success because the stripping went well in the closet, but then found in the main part of the trailer the PO had used Killz primer before painting. We found a stripper that would take off the latex and leave the zolatone alone, but it will not budge the primer.

Maybe your circular indentations are from a jack or stabilizer that wasn't where it really was supposed to be and it it couldn't hold the weight. Just a thought...

It's hard to not dig into it right away... You do need to fishish the other first, it's only fair .

Tina
I tried the infamous Aircraft Stripper today to get the adhesive off the wall. Adhesive on the wall...you ask? Yes, it was someone's brilliant idea to keep the cushion up against the wall. Just glue the cushion to the wall. Uffda.

The stripper did take the adhesive off and it gone down to the Zolatone. I also took some of that off as well so I have decided it will have to be painted again because there is no way I am going to strip down the entire interior. I would love to do the Zolatone again but wonder if it is impossible to do yourself?

Waiting on starting the second one is going to be hard; it will be easier when winter sets in to resist going out there to fool around. Today I spent a few hours washing to walls down and getting a good look around. Interesting I must say.
Sandy
Old 10-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #48
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Sandy,
Zolatone is not an easy paint to spray but it can be applied by a DIY guy like your husband. I don't think there is a better paint to use for vintage Airstreams.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #49
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Where do I get this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Sandy,
Zolatone is not an easy paint to spray but it can be applied by a DIY guy like your husband. I don't think there is a better paint to use for vintage Airstreams.
Thanks for that info....where do I get the Zolatone? I think it would be perfect to put it back on this trailer. Looks like we are going to go for a complete rebuild on all of the cabinets so we will be gutting it which will allow for easy painting. I hope we don't end up with a total rebuild of the frame and everything else like the Albatross. I am not sure either one of us is up for that again....
Sandy
Old 10-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #50
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hi Sandy,
You can order direct from Zolatone directly or any large automotive paint supplier in your local area. It is used in a lot of things like aluminum boats, firetrucks and specialty vehicles. You might luck out and find a manufacturer or auto body shop locally that can shoot the Zolatone for you when you get to that point.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #51
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks TG Twinkie!!

Here is a look at TG Twinkie's handiwork on our newest baby. He noticed we had a broken handle and offered to help us with a new one. He sent one and it arrived Saturday. It was a beauty!

My son took the lock apart and following TG's written description of the steps, cleaned out 50 years worth of dirt and grime and reinstalled the new handle. It looks a million times better and is the nicest part of the trailer at this point.

It also managed to answer that question "Why do people just put layers and layers of sealant down when they have a leak?" We now know the reason the floor had been replaced by the door.

Thanks TG Twinkie for your help on step one of our renovation of this little trailer. We appreciate your fine work and how nifty it looks on the door.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fall 2011 112.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	143522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fall 2011 215.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	143523  

Old 10-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan
Here is a look at TG Twinkie's handiwork on our newest baby. He noticed we had a broken handle and offered to help us with a new one. He sent one and it arrived Saturday. It was a beauty!

My son took the lock apart and following TG's written description of the steps, cleaned out 50 years worth of dirt and grime and reinstalled the new handle. It looks a million times better and is the nicest part of the trailer at this point.

It also managed to answer that question "Why do people just put layers and layers of sealant down when they have a leak?" We now know the reason the floor had been replaced by the door.

Thanks TG Twinkie for your help on step one of our renovation of this little trailer. We appreciate your fine work and how nifty it looks on the door.
Sandy
Don't the smallest things make such a big difference? I love it, keep going!

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 10-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #53
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
One item down, 759,045 left to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Don't the smallest things make such a big difference? I love it, keep going!
I too was thrilled that we got one thing up and fixed. It is really a nice handle. I am taking one small victory at a time and I know I will have tons to go but I am thinking positive! This is such a cute little trailer...that still needs a name.
Sandy
Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #54
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Is that a reproduction handle? It looks a little boxer than I normally see, but is sure nicer than a broken one.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #55
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Not sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Is that a reproduction handle? It looks a little boxer than I normally see, but is sure nicer than a broken one.
I can't tell you where TG Twinkie came up with the process but the handle is really nice. I agree that it looks a lot nicer and it actually works which is even better. Nothing like grabbing a solid handle instead of a stub of a handle and try to pry the door open. Now to get to rest of this little trailer...all in good time.
Sandy
Old 10-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Yeah, it has a slightly boxier look to it with slightly less of the Art-Deco face relative to the original, but feels much more solid (although I also only had a quarter of a handle to compare it to.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #57
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Every time I grab on to one of those handles I worry if "this is the time?" Glad to know there is a working replacement should "the time come"...
Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #58
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Handle works....

Quote:
Every time I grab on to one of those handles I worry if "this is the time?" Glad to know there is a working replacement should "the time come"...
I am not sure why so many of them were broken but ours certainly was and quite sharply. We got both pieces and maybe could have rigged something up but then you take the risk of having it break again when you were in the middle of nowhere. We wanted to have it fixed and then be able to work on other items. I would recommend TG Twinkie's handles...really solid and works well. And I agree it is nice to know that if you do end up needing one.
Sandy
Old 10-26-2011, 02:50 AM   #59
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Pot metal has virtually zero lateral strength.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #60
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
That explains it!

Quote:
Pot metal has virtually zero lateral strength.
Now I know why so many are broken.

Tags