Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
That cabinet looks great!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #122
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
The cabinet looks awesome! I like the Lone Star light in the background too!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
The cabinet looks awesome! I like the Lone Star light in the background too!
So I probably shouldn't tell you that the only reason they are there is because some of our Texan roommate's friends left them and none of us want to drink it....

I'm a big fan of the darker beers, otherwise I would. I guess I just need to throw a party and it'll go fast. I mean, my last project before the Airstream was a high-tech beer pong table after all.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #124
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I was just trying to be nice! I don't drink light beer, EVER! Shiner is as light as I can take. You just don't see Lone Star light on the forums too often, so I had to say something!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I was just trying to be nice! I don't drink light beer, EVER! Shiner is as light as I can take. You just don't see Lone Star light on the forums too often, so I had to say something!
Haha that's more like it. You're even more "hardcore" than me. I sacrifice my ideals during drinking games so that I can be competitive longer, but otherwise stick to a nice porter.

Speaking of which, I just realized I completely forgot the "beverage on the frame crossmember shot" during the floor replacement. Shucks. Maybe I'll take one when the floor finishes drying.

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #126
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Went to college in San Antonio. And guarantee that Lone Star fresh and cold from the brewery downtown was as good as anything else could be on a hot afternoon. (But once it went out to the warehouse, some bit of magic -- and flavor -- went missing). Of course, this was long before the mergers and ruination of so much of regional Americana. Iced down in rock-salted slush to 31F there is something to be said for this type of beer, and in this country. It didn't become popular for no reason waaay back when.

Of course all beer sippers are excluded from this. As well as with "lite".

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #127
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
I think that is Marie's secret plan to give me some form of a regular workout. It's definitely working, you should see my handshake.
Ha! If we ever meet Ill be sure to go in for the fist bump
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
The paint is going on the floor pretty well, but I'm apparently not good at mixing since a few areas had more of the catalyst hardener and not enough pigmented base, making the transparency uneven. This picture is prior to the third coat, which ended up being the thickest. Everything visible under cabinets is now completely white, and the areas that will be covered completely by appliances or hardwood are mostly white.

Also, cut out some acrylic sliding doors using the single old one as a template, and recycled the old front and rear window panes. Made them 1/8" lower so that they could be installed into the track without drilling any rivets. Added rice paper film. The cabinet is already prewired for some backlighting, but will come later. (12v LED strips)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2837272454.png
Views:	144
Size:	834.2 KB
ID:	150139   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1239169033.png
Views:	137
Size:	816.9 KB
ID:	150140  

Name:	image-2991106935.png
Size:	789.5 KB
ID:	150141  

Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow, looks fantastic! What kind of paint is that? I like the depth... cool work on the plastic pieces too.

I thought I read that you were going without a bathroom? What's the second drain stack for?
Marc
Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Wow, looks fantastic! What kind of paint is that? I like the depth... cool work on the plastic pieces too.

I thought I read that you were going without a bathroom? What's the second drain stack for?
Marc
The paint is a Pro-Line 4501 Linear Polyurethane, "Prothane White - Extreme High Gloss". Pro-Line was absorbed by Sherwin Williams a while back, but the guy I bought my Coronado 25 from had ~1 gallon of it. It's ~4-5 years old, and although it is supposed to be sprayed, I just did a roll and tip application. As a result, I got 3 coats (of higher thickness than I would otherwise use on the topsides of a boat). I figured since I am selling my boat and don't need it for that, and I can't really sell it (who would only buy 1 gallon of and out of production paint?), I might as well utilize a $200 can, even if it is a slight waste.

As for the plumbing stacks, I have one 11 gallon holding tank in each of those two floor spaces, and I didn't want to cut through the already thin C-channel frame to route the inlet pipes, so I decided to plumb them entirely separately. I have two vent lines, two inlet ABS stacks, and two outlet ABS elbows (that already combine to a common 1.5" graywater valve). No bathroom. You are correct.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #131
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Look'n GREAT....

Young wipper snapper's that don't need a bathroom, you just wait.....

Bob
Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Young wipper snapper's that don't need a bathroom, you just wait.....

Bob
Hey man, that's what a tree or bush is for!

Update as well: So things have been moving slow as I'm in midterms right now and I was recently rear ended, with the appts and repairs taking way too much time, but we are close to having some major changes. Friday I have off and plan to go to a local trailer supply place where they have Dexter electric brakes in stock to get some better dimensions. If they fit I will just do that as my only running gear change. If they don't, we're talking axle, and after a long discussion with Uwe I'm even considering a torsion upgrade now. We'll see...

Friday also includes a trip to the lumber store. I got my Kreg jig today to do some pocket holes for stick frame construction. Marie and I taped out the floor plan from my Google Sketchup and I have the boss' approval for all my plans verbatim. I will begin that this weekend.

Finally, been playing with two things electrical: installed the front endcap lights, and wiring in a wireless rear view camera for the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1188690702.png
Views:	143
Size:	879.8 KB
ID:	150558   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2518348664.png
Views:	127
Size:	739.9 KB
ID:	150559  

Name:	image-1523606745.png
Views:	129
Size:	785.2 KB
ID:	150560  

Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #133
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Looking great! So clean & shiny. Love the lights you chose.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Looking great! So clean & shiny. Love the lights you chose.
Thanks for the feedback and support!

And the price was right too-- each light was less than an Alexander Hamilton. We have many more identical ones that we plan to use on the rear endcap, off the wardrobe cabinet, etc.

As for the shininess, I just wish the outside was done too, but I'm taking a break from polishing for a while.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Finished the wireless rear view camera. Took a lot of time because the offroad attachments on my TV and the walls of the Airstream act as a great shield for the radio transmitter, even though they have a 50 ft line of sight range. I wired the LCD into a receiver in the walls of my trunk, and wired the transmitter just forward of the wheel wells in the trailer, making it 11 ft of wireless distance.

The mfr had many options for the camera mounts but I had two requirements: no LED lights because this is not wired to the backup circuit, and flush mount. I eventually found one and it camouflages pretty well in the bumper. I took the overall picture of the rear so you could see what I mean....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3742395915.png
Views:	128
Size:	726.7 KB
ID:	150879   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1863707138.png
Size:	804.8 KB
ID:	150880  

Name:	image-3584172957.png
Views:	132
Size:	740.5 KB
ID:	150881  

Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #136
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
With that low mount, good for backing, but what else?

(Nice installation, as is all the progress; I'm always tempted to clutter the thread with Looks great!!)

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
With that low mount, good for backing, but what else?

(Nice installation, as is all the progress; I'm always tempted to clutter the thread with Looks great!!)

Yeah, I really wanted it up high but all the ideas I had were too obtrusive to the classic look. I plan to use it while towing to see if anyone is directly tailgating my rear blind spot. The tint on the windows took away the "see through" aspect of the trailer. It will also give me a vague idea of how far back the nearest vehicle is. I plan to experiment with little spacers to shim the proper angle on my next journey.

And PS, and comments are always welcome, even if it's a "looks great"... mainly because if I discourage that, I would feel guilty about all the other threads I do it on.

On another note, I LOVE the Kreg Jig. I would describe it as the only $40 that makes woodworking as easy and fun as LEGO's for adults. Started framing up the bed, lots of 1x4's and 1x3's due to the weight support. The rest of the cabinetry will be pretty much just 1x2's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Framing Bed.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	150985  

Old 02-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #138
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Pete,

Looks Great...

Bob
Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #139
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Just went through and re-read your thread again! What an awesome cute trailer... and what great work you're doing inside and out! Like the cabinetry... where'd you source the lights?

I forgot to ask earlier... what thickness wood did you use? 5/8?
Marc
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #140
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Just went through and re-read your thread again! What an awesome cute trailer... and what great work you're doing inside and out! Like the cabinetry... where'd you source the lights?

I forgot to ask earlier... what thickness wood did you use? 5/8?
Marc
Thanks! I enjoy doing the woodworking so much that I wish I could just take a week off of work and build all the cabinetry. However I still have to source the veneer.

The lights were from eBay, called something like "12V Brushed Nickel and Glass Swiveled Reading light", and sold by Big Country RV. I highly recommend the seller, as 2 of my 4 came with radial cracks in the glass, even though they were in original packaging. The seller responded to my feedback in less than an hour and immediately sent out not just 2 but 3 new lights for no charge. Now that's great customer service. 5 lights for $40 is not a bad deal.

The floor is 3/4", trimmed down to 5/8" with a router on the edges to fit under the skins.