Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
On Sunday Marie came out to visit Knight and help me install the ceiling panel. Went up pretty smoothly. In fact, I might argue it was the easiest one.

Just finished the first cut on the interior. And when I say just, I mean the mineral spirits are still drying.

Time to change wheels and start the red bar. No cyclo on the interior, so after red, on to ceiling.
That is looking really good. Wow! I can hardly wait for what comes next. Just to warn you we might be stealing some of your ideas when we can get to ours.
San

ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Of course you can take ideas-- I encourage it.

I'm still following along on the title process of your Pacer. Keep the hope alive!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #103
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Stay tuned on that

Quote:
Of course you can take ideas-- I encourage it.

I'm still following along on the title process of your Pacer. Keep the hope alive!
Peter,
I am pursuing another option to get the title and I hope in the weeks to come I can report success. It has been incredibly frustrating but at least I now know 5,482 ways that don't work!
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
Hey there Pete- Great to see your progress, looking VEERRRRY sharp, I'd expect nothing less though. Quickie question, I was taking a look at your computer mock up. Are you including a wet bath? I ask as the mixer valve on the shower is a difficult beast to hide!
Best
Rob
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf1
Hey there Pete- Great to see your progress, looking VEERRRRY sharp, I'd expect nothing less though. Quickie question, I was taking a look at your computer mock up. Are you including a wet bath? I ask as the mixer valve on the shower is a difficult beast to hide!
Best
Rob
Nope. Our rationale is that this is an upgrading camping experience where we are used to backpacking without toilets, car camping in NPS campgrounds, etc, so no need for our own toilet. The water system will be comprised of a sink and an outdoor utility/ bathing shower off of the water heater.

I will be doing a long term field test of the Marey portable hot water heater and built in shower, which while not approved for RV use, will be completely isolated from the trailer internals by a sealed metal wall, and will have a master propane shutoff valve below the belly skin. This shower will be accessible through that new door I built and will require the user to have no bashfulness or the wearing of a bathing suit.

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 01-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Update 1/22/12

The interior is polished. Everything. Even the portions that will be behind cabinets or the fridge and never seen again. What can I say? OCD I guess. It just felt right.

I put the vent and rear compartment door trim back together and started putting up the window trim pieces, which will be completed this week. Next step is to polish the overhead locker cabinet, make some new door panels for it, and install. I'm also working on the lighting so that I can temporarily hook it up and stop using utility and drop lights.

Add in some work, homework for school, and some sulking over the 49ers loss and that's my week. Already planned out, the way I like it. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4020549257.png
Views:	110
Size:	747.6 KB
ID:	149416  

Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
That is a GREAT idea for the shower, I dont tend to use our head that often either, it just came with, so it is there and functional. Out and about you always tend to find the flush locations much more useful!! lol!! Keep up the great work, when your done, feel free to come on over...lol. Love to see your rig some day if I am in your neck of the woods. PM me if you like.
Take Care-
Rob
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
Nice work!

I've enjoyed reading about and seeing your progress, awesome job! It makes me want to get back out there and work on our 65 26' Overlander. And then I pause, think for a sec, and say, nope, I'm not ready yet. So, keep writting and posting pics, maybe one of these days I might motivate again.
If your ever headed south (Encinitas), shoot me a message, I'd love to see your progress/finished product!

Greg
HansenClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Fun Project! I was tired of stripping paint after just the end caps and upper cabinets!
It will be fun to watch your progress.

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #110
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Update 1/22/12

The interior is polished. Everything. Even the portions that will be behind cabinets or the fridge and never seen again. What can I say? OCD I guess. It just felt right.

I put the vent and rear compartment door trim back together and started putting up the window trim pieces, which will be completed this week. Next step is to polish the overhead locker cabinet, make some new door panels for it, and install. I'm also working on the lighting so that I can temporarily hook it up and stop using utility and drop lights.

Add in some work, homework for school, and some sulking over the 49ers loss and that's my week. Already planned out, the way I like it. :-)
Wow you are a mad man! lookin good!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Spent the day at Knight. She is starting to come together, and the first real "finishing touch" was added today in the form of the overhead light. This was a little more complex than it looked, because (1) I had to construct an aluminum trim ring to fit the light backing plate on, but cover the 13" hole in the ceiling from the old light and (2) I wanted dual 12V/120V. I preserved all the original 120V functionality as it was and added four 12V LED lights with mounting bases from ebay. It came out pretty nice. It was also an excuse to finally wire in a temporary GFCI outlet box and make use of the external 30A 125V inlet rather than pulling an extension cord through the hatch door every time I came to the trailer.

Next I pulled apart my hubs and brakes, and finally opened the box of brake parts that the seller gave me. I spent about 5 minutes inspecting all the springs and pieces and decided to buy all new 12" self-adjusting backing plates rather than trying to rebuild something in this condition. Too big of a safety risk for my tastes.

Lastly, I sanded, vacuumed, and blue-taped the floor in preparation for painting. I went searching through my paint stash and came across an unopened gallon of commercial grade 2-part linear polyurethane. Completely forgot I had it, and if its good enough for the deck and topsides of a sailboat, it's good enough for a topcoat under the future cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brakes.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	149704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overhead light - construction.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	149705  

Name:	Overhead light - lit.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	149707  

Old 01-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Nice work on the light!
Not to be all gloom and doom, but examine your drums before you go out and buy new backing plates... my '63's "Hadco" drums wouldn't work with newer shoes... they look skinnier or something like that. However, mine had the old torsion vs. your leaf's.

Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Nice work on the light!
Not to be all gloom and doom, but examine your drums before you go out and buy new backing plates... my '63's "Hadco" drums wouldn't work with newer shoes... they look skinnier or something like that. However, mine had the old torsion vs. your leaf's.

Marc
Ooh interesting point. I've been focusing on the axle rating and getting this 5 bolt spacing right, because mine seems inbetween the two ratings sizes, but I may have simply measured it wrong.

And I can't find a stamped rating for the life of me. It has to be a 5200#, right?

It's funny, because I'm already looking at entire axle assemblies now. Downward spiral, I tell ya. At least it would solve the drum size issue.

Edit: No need to worry about being "doom and gloom". I need all the comments and help that I can get here. First time at 90% of this stuff. :-)

Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ha! And then, and then... Seeing how you're in CA.. you could call Uwe @ http://www.area63productions.com Not only is he a cool, all around guy that specializes in AS... but he also is a Dexter dealer. if you need a new drop axle, he's the one to talk too. The problem if you go with a straight axle is that it raises up the trailer ... looks like it's on tiptoes! Or... you could go torsion.. Kidding... sort of.

Rating... I think it's for you its not only the axle size, but how many leaf's are on it. I can't remember the thread that was going here along with yours for a bit, but he had some problems ordering a new axle... I think he had a MONSTER number of springs on his, an when he put on the new axle, it actually dropped the trailer down. I don't remember if he posted the solution, but I felt that he had way to many leafs on his.

Marc
Old 01-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Here's someone that did the straight axle. Note that he has a pretty big stack of leafs on his axle.. it looks like you have less. To "drop" your axle, you'd have to reorder a "drop" axle that curves up like yours. However, I remember you like to go camping in remote areas, in whichcase you might not mind the added height!
1956 Flying Cloud - Axle
Old 01-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Here's someone that did the straight axle. Note that he has a pretty big stack of leafs on his axle.. it looks like you have less. To "drop" your axle, you'd have to reorder a "drop" axle that curves up like yours. However, I remember you like to go camping in remote areas, in whichcase you might not mind the added height!
1956 Flying Cloud - Axle
Hahahaha you are typing exactly what I've been thinking all night. I have literally been rereading the vintage airstream story all night. Hadn't looked at half of that website since a year ago when I first bought the thing.

Yes, I have a 26", smaller 4 leaf setup rather than the bigger leaf stack he has, and no shocks either. At least this means replacements are readily available.

If I change my axle I will definitely be changing to a straight. That's actually been one of my big motivations. My current setup is very much a lowrider due to the reverse drop and the modern day "squishier" tires than back in 1959. Thanks for the tip about Uwe and Dexter. Had no idea. It would be super convenient, especially if it helps me avoid/minimize the freight charges.

My choices as I see them have been minimized to:
12"x2" 6K Dexter Nev-R Adjust Brakes (if they fit in the hubs)
Dexter Straight Axle (5200#?) +hubs+brakes+u-bolts
Dexter Straight Axle +hubs+brakes+double-eye spring (+shocks?)

Old 01-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Hahahaha you are typing exactly what I've been thinking all night. I have literally been rereading the vintage airstream story all night. Hadn't looked at half of that website since a year ago when I first bought the thing.

Yes, I have a 26", smaller 4 leaf setup rather than the bigger leaf stack he has, and no shocks either. At least this means replacements are readily available.

If I change my axle I will definitely be changing to a straight. That's actually been one of my big motivations. My current setup is very much a lowrider due to the reverse drop and the modern day "squishier" tires than back in 1959. Thanks for the tip about Uwe and Dexter. Had no idea. It would be super convenient, especially if it helps me avoid/minimize the freight charges.

My choices as I see them have been minimized to:
12"x2" 6K Dexter Nev-R Adjust Brakes (if they fit in the hubs)
Dexter Straight Axle (5200#?) +hubs+brakes+u-bolts
Dexter Straight Axle +hubs+brakes+double-eye spring (+shocks?)
Oh and Centramatics, powdercoat the wheels, and baby moons...

Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Polished up and installed the overhead cabinet. Not fitting 100%, but I'll fix it and add the finishing touches for it over the next few weeks.

Put a coat of that linear polyurethane on the floor. It's looking good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1505107534.png
Views:	133
Size:	828.5 KB
ID:	149860   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2979772802.png
Views:	131
Size:	852.2 KB
ID:	149861  

Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #119
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Polished up and installed the overhead cabinet. Not fitting 100%, but I'll fix it and add the finishing touches for it over the next few weeks.

Put a coat of that linear polyurethane on the floor. It's looking good.
Well at least you are giving your self a workout with that hand riveter
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy
Well at least you are giving your self a workout with that hand riveter
I think that is Marie's secret plan to give me some form of a regular workout. It's definitely working, you should see my handshake.