Old 12-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Well, the day started off with this:
"... HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM PST SATURDAY... A HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM PST SATURDAY. * WINDS: AREAS OF NORTHEAST WINDS 25 TO 35 MPH... WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH. OCCASIONAL LOCAL GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 65 MPH ARE POSSIBLE IN THE MOST FAVORED LOCATIONS... INCLUDING THROUGH AND BELOW THE CAJON AND BANNING PASSES IN THE INLAND EMPIRE AND THE FREMONT AND MODJESKA CANYONS IN THE SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS. * LOCATION: STRONGEST WINDS THROUGH AND BELOW PASSES AND CANYONS AND NEAR COASTAL FOOTHILLS. * IMPACTS: THE WINDS WILL MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT... ESPECIALLY FOR MOTORISTS WITH HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. WATCH FOR BROKEN TREE LIMBS AND DOWNED POWER LINES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH OR GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR MORE CAN LEAD TO PROPERTY DAMAGE. &&"

Unfortunately, we were driving a semi-high
profile vehicle through half of those freeways, and over the specified Banning pass. However, we took it slow and steady, and left early before the winds really picked up, and the trip to JT was mostly uneventful. That is, it took until hooking up the hitch that I realized my converted 6-pin wiring cable is 6" too short to reach. I had been testing it with the car next to the trailer, and not in front, so I never realized it.
My dogbone wrench and some quick re-engineering came to the rescue in a Walmart parking lot and we were on the road.

So, then after 3-4 windy hours, we found ourselves here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2494902759.png
Views:	161
Size:	795.7 KB
ID:	147150   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2213884919.png
Views:	183
Size:	895.8 KB
ID:	147151  

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I'm loving the shorty trailer and FJ combo. Something similar will be my third project for sure :-)

Old 12-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
looks great! Love the combo...
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #84
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Looks cool! Nice to be out camping, isn't it? I was talking with a fellow I know a few miles from here. He was telling me how he had sold a Pacer to a young couple in Redondo Beach. The geared in my head started churning, then I made the connection! Next time I see him, I'll let him know you were out camping this weekend.
Keep up the great work!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top
Looks cool! Nice to be out camping, isn't it? I was talking with a fellow I know a few miles from here. He was telling me how he had sold a Pacer to a young couple in Redondo Beach. The geared in my head started churning, then I made the connection! Next time I see him, I'll let him know you were out camping this weekend.
Keep up the great work!
Yeah, the camping is great and now I'm even more motivated to finish. I'm even thinking of bringing it with me to the Bay area when I visit family over the holidays, just so I can get some more work done....

And awesome that you know Bruce. Tell him we said hi.

On another note, weather isn't as good now as it was yesterday, but the hiking is still fun:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2475167561.png
Views:	118
Size:	865.2 KB
ID:	147187  

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 12-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Great looking rig and campsite. I need to make a trip down there someday.
Norm
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa
Great looking rig and campsite. I need to make a trip down there someday.
Norm
Thanks for the positive feedback Norm (and others-- can't multi quote on the phone from what I can tell)

As an update on the trip, Sunday involved a lot of offroading and exploring old mines, followed by an easy drive back home. Some mine pictures to prove it happened and a couple glamour shots for posterity:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2955348572.png
Views:	110
Size:	1,012.5 KB
ID:	147276   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-882500198.png
Views:	117
Size:	987.3 KB
ID:	147277  

Name:	image-774925858.png
Views:	774
Size:	810.3 KB
ID:	147278   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4113969508.png
Views:	137
Size:	747.1 KB
ID:	147279  

Old 12-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Wow, it is really looking good!

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Finally got around to finishing my really complex waste plumbing setup. :-)

Two gray tank outlets and a dump valve. With a 3" bayonet adapter taking forever to find.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2984754671.png
Views:	151
Size:	626.7 KB
ID:	147536   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-525974376.png
Views:	136
Size:	695.2 KB
ID:	147537  

Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Well since I'm gonna be 350 miles from the trailer over the holidays :-( I figured I'd get a little work done on the vent. Although my neighbors probably hate me now for buck riveting at 9pm, it's done!!

The main door is .032 2024 t3 alclad, and the rear strips that create the back are .020 aluminum sheet from HD.

I assembled a 1/2" U-channel in two rings to make the box frame, and pop riveted it all except the outer ring to outer door (which is not hidden by the actual vent louver panel). JB weld and some vulkem was used there instead. This minimizes the appearance of rivets on the outside.

Piano hinge was cut to length for the top hinge and will be offset from the trailer shell by another length of 1/2" u-channel, then the whole hinge assembly covered with a drip cap.

Just need to go grab a cam lock, a gas strut, that drip cap, and oh yeah, some free time to mount the thing.

For the record, all materials for the entire door probably added up to $55, given I had leftover hehr back frame gasket but that number also includes the supplies remaining to turn the $10 VTS louver vent into an access door for the reefer on the other side (here we go again). So that will total $65 for two access doors. I got quoted $120 each, not including frame....

Good deal since I consider my time worthless :-D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1818515379.png
Views:	118
Size:	806.4 KB
ID:	147538   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3545282705.png
Views:	125
Size:	845.1 KB
ID:	147539  

Name:	image-3694685501.png
Views:	141
Size:	814.8 KB
ID:	147540   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1805044728.png
Views:	129
Size:	843.2 KB
ID:	147541  

Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Layout first pass

Since I don't have the physical trailer to work on this week while I'm visiting family, I decided to create a digital trailer so that I can plan out my layout. Partly on Dark's recommendation to try out Sketch-up after I grew frustrated with the interior design aspect of Visio.

Previously I had tried using Don's guided walkthroughs and videos to make a complete model of the trailer, but decided that since I only have two things actually affected by the curves of the trailer wall in terms of design (one new cabinet and OEM metal cabinet), there was no point to spending hours replicating the curves. Instead I simply made a very vague attempt at getting the curves right, and focused on getting exact dimensions for the floor size, window size and location, door placement/ width, etc.

All interior dimensions are +/- 1/4" now, so I'm pretty comfortable with what I've got. If anyone who is reading this is about to start a full renovation, I highly recommend they give Google Sketchup a shot. The Google instructional videos are great, and doing it this way with the ability to move cabinets and walls as I went allowed me to come up with some new ideas that I wasn't planning on, like the headboard/nightstand, and a sliding storage space for the cat heater.

Anyway, that's all I've got for this week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	59PacerLayout Angle01.png
Views:	109
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	147732   Click image for larger version

Name:	59PacerLayout Angle02.png
Views:	109
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	147733  

Name:	59PacerLayout Angle03.png
Views:	112
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	147734  

Old 12-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #92
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Looks good but is it easy to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Since I don't have the physical trailer to work on this week while I'm visiting family, I decided to create a digital trailer so that I can plan out my layout. Partly on Dark's recommendation to try out Sketch-up after I grew frustrated with the interior design aspect of Visio.

Previously I had tried using Don's guided walkthroughs and videos to make a complete model of the trailer, but decided that since I only have two things actually affected by the curves of the trailer wall in terms of design (one new cabinet and OEM metal cabinet), there was no point to spending hours replicating the curves. Instead I simply made a very vague attempt at getting the curves right, and focused on getting exact dimensions for the floor size, window size and location, door placement/ width, etc.

All interior dimensions are +/- 1/4" now, so I'm pretty comfortable with what I've got. If anyone who is reading this is about to start a full renovation, I highly recommend they give Google Sketchup a shot. The Google instructional videos are great, and doing it this way with the ability to move cabinets and walls as I went allowed me to come up with some new ideas that I wasn't planning on, like the headboard/nightstand, and a sliding storage space for the cat heater.

Anyway, that's all I've got for this week.
This looks really good and I would like to give it a spin while I wait too..... Is it difficult to figure out how to use it if my computer skills are not stellar?
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #93
1 Rivet Member

1960 17' Pacer
Peterborough , Ontario
This is awesome! My wife bought a Pacer -- I'm not sure what year. It was used as a deer hunt camp in Canada. We have some dents up top from a tree, and the door just broke (top hinge rivets snapped). I'm excited to read how the whole reno unfolds!
Thanks
AlumaBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Well since I'm gonna be 350 miles from the trailer over the holidays :-( I figured I'd get a little work done on the vent. Although my neighbors probably hate me now for buck riveting at 9pm, it's done!!

The main door is .032 2024 t3 alclad, and the rear strips that create the back are .020 aluminum sheet from HD.

I assembled a 1/2" U-channel in two rings to make the box frame, and pop riveted it all except the outer ring to outer door (which is not hidden by the actual vent louver panel). JB weld and some vulkem was used there instead. This minimizes the appearance of rivets on the outside.

Piano hinge was cut to length for the top hinge and will be offset from the trailer shell by another length of 1/2" u-channel, then the whole hinge assembly covered with a drip cap.

Just need to go grab a cam lock, a gas strut, that drip cap, and oh yeah, some free time to mount the thing.

For the record, all materials for the entire door probably added up to $55, given I had leftover hehr back frame gasket but that number also includes the supplies remaining to turn the $10 VTS louver vent into an access door for the reefer on the other side (here we go again). So that will total $65 for two access doors. I got quoted $120 each, not including frame....

Good deal since I consider my time worthless :-D
Peter, that is very nice work. I need to build something similar for my fridge access door.

Norm
Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
This looks really good and I would like to give it a spin while I wait too..... Is it difficult to figure out how to use it if my computer skills are not stellar?
Sandy
I would try downloading it and invest 2-3 hours into watching some of the simple videos here:
Google SketchUp

And if you are interested in actually modelling the trailer shells, Don (NorCalBambi) has a great thread if you haven't seen it:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ion-62230.html

One of Don's first tutorial videos also shows you how to import in a picture of the trailer to make the shape off of. I used the original Pacer floorplan from the airstream docs website to start and then built the shell with measured dimensions.

If you don't like it after 3 hours or so and you feel you aren't making progress, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll see if I can help. If not, it's not that big of a loss to revert to pencil and paper.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Peter, that is very nice work. I need to build something similar for my fridge access door.

Norm
Thanks Norm. It was fairly straightforward, ONCE I bought the brake. Trying to do it with my poor man's brake was too difficult on this .032 T3 hardness stuff. Failed attempts left a few scratches actually. In fact, if I had multiple types of Alclad laying around, I would use .025 or maybe even .020 in the future. Mine is really overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumaBorg View Post
This is awesome! My wife bought a Pacer -- I'm not sure what year. It was used as a deer hunt camp in Canada. We have some dents up top from a tree, and the door just broke (top hinge rivets snapped). I'm excited to read how the whole reno unfolds!
Thanks
Sweet!!! Another Pacer, and I also feel honored to be worthy of your first post!

Well start fixing her up and post some pictures! We love pictures. I'm assuming you have some of the tools to fix the door hinge rivets? That is simple enough to do with a temporary or semi-permanent repair with pop rivets and a $30 handheld pop rivet gun from a big box store. In fact, that is how mine were attached, but even though there are 18 of them, I would still rather have 18 bucked or olympic rivets holding on the expensive vintage door within a door than 18 50+yr old pop rivets. Even if you buy one pack of Olympic-style rivets for that, it's worth the piece of mind IMHO.

As for the dents, that is one region i haven't dabbled in much, but there are lots of great resources here for trying to pull them or roll them out with a "Kip roller". Just search it and you'll see what I mean. Have to pull that inner endcap down though.

Welcome!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quick update on the progress...

Installed the lower vent door. Looks good, but had to get pretty tricky with rivets to make the upper hinge standoff seem riveted on. That is, the standoff is a u channel with 9/64" holes for stainless steel sheet metal screws, but to get them in place I had to use a 7/16" hole on the outer side of the u-channel to fit the head through. Then, due to the length of the Olympics, which I wanted to use to attach the piano hinge to the short u-channel, I had to drill through both sides of the channel and into the outer skin, then pull it flush and backfill the skin hole with vulkem.

All because my girlfriend and I are OCD and don't like the look of screws or pop rivets....

Oh yeah and today I measured my endcap for aluminum purchases and started polishing the interior.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2646879344.png
Views:	131
Size:	763.3 KB
ID:	148268   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2981912996.png
Views:	141
Size:	887.7 KB
ID:	148269  

Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #98
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Looking GOOD

Quote:
Quick update on the progress...

Installed the lower vent door. Looks good, but had to get pretty tricky with rivets to make the upper hinge standoff seem riveted on. That is, the standoff is a u channel with 9/64" holes for stainless steel sheet metal screws, but to get them in place I had to use a 7/16" hole on the outer side of the u-channel to fit the head through. Then, due to the length of the Olympics, which I wanted to use to attach the piano hinge to the short u-channel, I had to drill through both sides of the channel and into the outer skin, then pull it flush and backfill the skin hole with vulkem.

All because my girlfriend and I are OCD and don't like the look of screws or pop rivets....

Oh yeah and today I measured my endcap for aluminum purchases and started polishing the interior.
Wow! Good work and I am planning to copy a lot of your strategies once we get started on the little trailer, so remember it is good to continue to share your progress here. I'm impressed!
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan

Wow! Good work and I am planning to copy a lot of your strategies once we get started on the little trailer, so remember it is good to continue to share your progress here. I'm impressed!
Sandy
Along these lines, i suppose its time for another update... Can you guess from the picture what I'm still doing? That's right, lots of polishing. And that shirt was white when i started!!! ... Nah, just kidding.

Finishing up polishing the last panel of the endcap, then the large ceiling (which ive kept uninstalled for this reason), and then need to do the white bar cut and I'm done.

I have also been spending time upgrading my TV with a properly wired and mounted 7-pin connector and heavy gauge wires to the engine area for the aux charger and brakes. Installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller and wired it up. Also installed a secondary Blue Sea fuse block and just got the auto reset circuit breakers delivered. The 7 pin connector took awhile because I didn't want to mount it in the bumper due to aesthetics but I also want it hidden when offroad to maintain clearance. My solution was a SS hinge and a rare earth magnet to hide it against the frame when not in use, and then drop down easily for towing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-6533690.png
Views:	107
Size:	697.0 KB
ID:	148767  

Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
On Sunday Marie came out to visit Knight and help me install the ceiling panel. Went up pretty smoothly. In fact, I might argue it was the easiest one.

Just finished the first cut on the interior. And when I say just, I mean the mineral spirits are still drying.

Time to change wheels and start the red bar. No cyclo on the interior, so after red, on to ceiling light, overhead locker unit, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1086786038.png
Views:	128
Size:	887.8 KB
ID:	149167