Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #381
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Well, I should probably put an update here. I graduated school, which means I am free for all of my projects again. Knight has had a lot more little items done to it, and I also learned a few things. I finished all of the improvements right before a 10 day and 2000 mile trip through Utah and Nevada, and learned all of the issues during the trip. But I crossed four more national parks off of my list!

Issues:
1) I didn't include much oversize in the water fill line for the 40 gallon water tank, and the max fill rate is ~1.5gpm, as estimated from literally bringing single gallon jugs from the water spigot and pouring them in as fast as possible. I also didn't put in a pump/check valve bypass in order to fill the water tank with the hose connection, and I highly recommend that everyone does that. The incremental piping and valve cost is nothing compared to the flexibility it provides.
2) My hinges keep loosening up due to screws backing out the threads slowly on cruddy roads. Use glue or RTI threadlocker to keep them from doing this.
3) No matter how much I try, I can't get the wireless camera signal to work through the trailer walls. This giant Faraday cage is impervious to everything wireless. I recommend wiring the antenna outside of the trailer. I should have, and am not quite sure how to fix it.

Items Off of our list (pictures coming soon):
Marie finished the last cushion! Wooooo!
Installed roller shades for the windows-- Ikea gray, simple but perfect.
Installed slidebolt locks for all drawers
Superglued rare earth magnets to the inside corners of the sliding acrylic panels above the kitchen counter. They are 90% hidden by the window film, and hold the panels in place while driving.
Installed moulding around floor and finished other small trim
Finally sealed the countertops
Installed (2) 12V chrome fans, one for each bed area. This was essential in Zion at 100F....

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #382
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Glad to hear that you are out camping. How is the hot water setup?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #383
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Glad to hear that you are out camping. How is the hot water setup?
It's working really well. I have stopped worrying about it as an experiment or risk and have no concerns at all about it any more. The flow valves work great, and with everything else on the trailer shaking apart over time, nothing on that has shaken apart. In regards to the actual shower aspect, we mainly use it to hose off feet, but we have had people rinse their hair with it, rinse off the dog, etc. and once or twice as a quick outdoor shower. 90% of the hot water heater use is for the sink with either dishes or with preheating the water to fill a pot, and it works great in both cases.

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 07-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #384
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Nice to see you are still at it. The most I have been able to do is help Kenny buck three rivets on his screen door :-( oh well...
Congratulations on finishing school!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #385
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I am currently restoring a 1958 Traveler (California version of Pacer?). First I want to say that I enjoyed reading your posts on the renovation of your '59 and a what a great accomplishment!
You stated that your Pacer is "shaking apart" while on questionable roads.
It looks like you only changed the Springs, could the new ones be any stiffer?
I am curious about Shocks, would you add them?

I see that you still have the original Axle? I am getting ready to pull my wheels off to check the Spindles, etc.
I have a Hydraulic Breakaway System that I want to change over to Electric. How has that worked for you? Still not sure about replacing the entire assembly but that would save a couple hundred $$$

thanks in advance.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #386
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesteve View Post
I am currently restoring a 1958 Traveler (California version of Pacer?). First I want to say that I enjoyed reading your posts on the renovation of your '59 and a what a great accomplishment!
You stated that your Pacer is "shaking apart" while on questionable roads.
It looks like you only changed the Springs, could the new ones be any stiffer?
I am curious about Shocks, would you add them?
I wouldn't say that the trailer is shaking more noticeably now than it used to. I just am getting more daring on where I take it. While in Utah, we went on some washboard and gravelly roads which I hadn't spent much time on with the trailer before. The glass light broke because the three retaining pins loosened up over time. The hinges pulled out because the screws were in cheap pine strip lumber and didn't have much to bite with only 5/8" of depth or so. The way it travels right now, I have no desire to add shocks. The old springs were so weak that they didn't provide any bounce to the trailer. Now it moves much more smoothly than before. The shocks might cushion that bounce some, but until I see something like the gear falling off of the bed or out of the cabinets, I'm not in any rush (even the pillows stay on the sofa....)

Quote:
I see that you still have the original Axle? I am getting ready to pull my wheels off to check the Spindles, etc.
I have a Hydraulic Breakaway System that I want to change over to Electric. How has that worked for you? Still not sure about replacing the entire assembly but that would save a couple hundred $$$

thanks in advance.
I would definitely change to electric. It is so easy to service, modern brake controllers work beautifully off of the vehicle brakes and internal accelerometers, and all the parts and sizes are so standard that it is easy to get replacements anywhere in the country while travelling. I have no regrets on putting in the electric system. Of course, I didn't have to get new hubs or anything, which saved some cost. And until I see something wrong with the axle, bearings, etc, I'm keepin my axle.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #387
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Thanks, good advice. I think that I will try and keep my axle and just upgrade the brakes.
PS did Inland RV treat you right?
I'll see you camping soon!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #388
GlamperGirl

I have come to the end of this AMAZING THREAD! Wow. So Pete and Marie finished the AS, bought a house. Did they have a baby too? What a great wealth of knowledge shared here. Thank you thank you! I am still in…over my head. But I am in. My 65 is going to be my knight in shining armor.
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #389
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelinadj View Post
I have come to the end of this AMAZING THREAD! Wow. So Pete and Marie finished the AS, bought a house. Did they have a baby too? What a great wealth of knowledge shared here. Thank you thank you! I am still in…over my head. But I am in. My 65 is going to be my knight in shining armor.
Haha, appreciate the remarks. No, no baby yet. Gotta finish house projects and other items before we can start that time-consuming project.

I can't wait to see the progress on the 65!

Old 04-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #390

1959 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
3827 oakhills dr , Michigan
Hello,
I had the same Pacer 18' regrettably I sold it in 2016. I saw a profile picture of it
on line with a black 61 Chevy Wagon tow vehicle. I had built it out as a mobile
office. a great trailer. Question? Can someone tell me the inside length of the box?
I believe the width was 7' Thank you.
kent lund is offline   Reply With Quote