Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
You have been busy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
I am back to work on the Airstream. Just to prove that I wasn't lying about having other projects, I included a couple pictures of the fence that I built to enclose the Airstream on our property. While Marie was finishing the clear sealer, I spent a couple half days working on the cabinetry and veneer.

It is tedious work getting this 1/8" Baltic birch ply to cover the pine stick frame, but the results are turning out much better than I hoped. The curves weren't too difficult to do with a lot of clamps, a bunch of glue, and a couple finishing nails here and there. I also used Marie's Jiffy steamer to help saturate and curve the wood, steaming it for a few minutes along the bend, clamping in place, letting cool, and repeating 3 or 4 times.

The plan is to apply all the poly throughout the week in the evenings, do another section next weekend, poly during the week, etc, until I finish the whole thing. Updates to come more frequently now-- I promise.
I can see why you have been busy and not working on the Airstream as much. You have gotten a lot done and nice work as always. Just showed DH the curves on the cabinetry and he's impressed. I wonder if you will now see that show up on Easy .
Sandy

ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #342
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
I can see why you have been busy and not working on the Airstream as much. You have gotten a lot done and nice work as always. Just showed DH the curves on the cabinetry and he's impressed. I wonder if you will now see that show up on Easy .
Sandy
I'm digging the curves, and loving the storage space even more. We have back to back weekend camping trips coming up, with incredibly different destinations- 80 degree F desert boondocking with canyons and geode hunts, and then winter camping in the snow in Yosemite valley. Basically, it will be nice to have a place to leave all of the gear and food inbetween trips instead of in collections of large tupperware bins everywhere.

and update time:
Now that I'm actively working on the trailer again, things are moving fast. Marie started sewing the front cushions, and I included a poorly taken phone photo as proof. We chose a simple crimson red fabric with an intricate texture but no pattern. We will save the patterns for accent pillows. (I need some of that 50's boomerang stuff...)
I've been doing cabinetry. 5th coat of Poly goes on the front half of the interior wood tomorrow, then reinstall the drawers and handles. The curve by the fridge is complete, and my ideas for utilizing that 4" of storage that is generated by making a curve has been brought to fruition. I added magazine/book racks by the entry, and as you can see, an even more important wine bottle rack by the U-dinette. Those storage spaces all have a recessed top so that I can add LED ambient downlights in the future.

That's it for now....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream fridge cabinet.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	181306   Click image for larger version

Name:	AIrstream sofa.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	181307  

Name:	Airstream wine storage.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	181308  

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #343
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Lookin good Peter diggin the curves!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #344
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
3 months

I can't believe its been so long since my last post. I got distracted with the house, and bought a hydrofoiling sailboat, and have been busy with school and work, etc. However, I am now back in the saddle on this project. I spent the weekend almost exclusively working on it. I will add some pictures soon, but the cabinets are almost done. The last few pieces of veneer are going up this week, I've built all the cabinet doors minus the slide out catalytic heater tray and the silverware drawer.

It's incredible how my speed on this project slowed down dramatically ever since I got it to a good, camp-worthy status.

More to come, but just wanted to let people know that Knight isn't dead and neither am I.

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 06-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #345
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Welcome back! I discovered your thread towards the tail end of your restoration, but even I was horribly disappointed when things went quiet! Looking forward to updates & pictures!
Sum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #346
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum75 View Post
Welcome back! I discovered your thread towards the tail end of your restoration, but even I was horribly disappointed when things went quiet! Looking forward to updates & pictures!
No no no, I've been slowly chugging along. Actually, after I wrote that post I started making a mental list and realized that for the first time I can actually think about everything left all at once, and it's not too bad:
  • Finish veneer, stain and poly cabs
  • Install aluminum trim pieces on interior
  • LED accent lighting and remaining outlets
  • Build heater and silverware drawers
  • Install TV mount and TV
  • Install hardwood/laminate flooring
  • Build dinette dropdown table, install
  • Touch up third cut polish on exterior, cyclo polish, seal seams
  • Dinette seatback cushions (Marie)

To be able to see it all in such a small space is very reassuring!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #347
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Actually, I'm impressed that you and Marie are still focused on finishing after buying a house! It can be all consuming, especially if its your first one. There are so many more projects, none cheap!

Congrats on getting your Airstream completion list down to one page. That has to feel so amazing :-)
Sum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #348
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
You are back!

Quote:
No no no, I've been slowly chugging along. Actually, after I wrote that post I started making a mental list and realized that for the first time I can actually think about everything left all at once, and it's not too bad:
  • Dinette seatback cushions (Marie)

To be able to see it all in such a small space is very reassuring!
Good to see you back and posting about your progress. I'd like to see pictures when you can take them. I think we won't be done with Easy until next year sometime but I can live vicariously through your progress.
Sandy
Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #349
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Thanks for the support! I'm happy to be working on it again. I realized this weekend that I was finally back in the Airstream saddle when I found myself pulling the paint stripper and compound polisher out to clean up the original aluminum trim pieces to hide the wall edges.

Anyway, attached is an update on the curbside. I planned to take more but my phone died. More soon. You can see my two unfinished drawers in this photo. The empty space above the fridge is for silverware, and I need to use side slides instead of hidden undermount slides, which also means I need to build the drawer completely different. The lower space next to the bed is a drawer for the Olympian heater. I plan to make te front door an appliance garage style lift-up-and-in, with a shelf that slides out. More to come...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-71425423.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	472.9 KB
ID:	188008  

Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #350
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Okay I owe some photos, but as of tonight the trailer is a mess with drawers everywhere while I do the staining and poly. Speaking of which, all the drawers are done, veneer is done, and the last few electrical items are almost complete.

So for this update I have some progress on the LED lighting that I am putting in on the cabinets. First, an image of the stained wardrobe doors in low light for reference:

Name:	image-264405064.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	188518
Dark, huh?

Name:	image-1336053291.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	188519

Even darker, but is that a closet bar I see? Lets turn on some nifty hidden lights...

Name:	image-3891425078.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	188520

Woah, now that's bright!

But seriously, it only took a short portion of a Saturday morning to wire up LED strip lights to all the cabinets without drawers, and to all the open side storage (more pictures to come).

Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #351
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
The next sharing I have is the cabinet underneath the stove, on the left-hand side of the streetside cabinet. The cabinet also holds all of the primary electrical equipment for the trailer, so I built a false wall that locks under a groove and uses some hasps and twist rings to latch (see detailed image). Finally, this cabinet was also deep and dark, so I added the typical LED light strip, and included an image of the itsy bitsy toggle switch and aluminum L bracket mount that I have been using.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-144410612.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	188530   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1307630501.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	188531  

Name:	image-3074481615.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	188532   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2993312716.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	188533  

Name:	image-3290137103.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	188534  

Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #352
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Very nice work. Glad to see The photos...keep on going! Love your work.

Sandy
Old 06-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #353
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
  • Finish veneer, stain and poly cabs (2 coats down, 2+ to go)
  • LED accent lighting and remaining outlets (1 left)
  • Dinette seatback cushions (Marie - 1 down, 2 to go
  • Reskin and polish entry door and door within a door

Trying to get as much done as possible before our short vacation next week. You will notice I added one to-do that I had forgotten....I originally planned to reskin the entry door which had been gouged in a previous incident. I had put that on the back burner, but since I needed to buy a 2'x3' sheet of Alclad for the Fridge door panel, I decided to just buy everything I would need for the entry door, giving myself extra work in the process.

Luckily, everything is moving along swimmingly. Once the poly is done and the trailer isn't littered with drawer boxes, I'll pull out the DSLR and take some nicer pictures to share.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #354
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Working hard

Quote:
  • Finish veneer, stain and poly cabs (2 coats down, 2+ to go)
  • LED accent lighting and remaining outlets (1 left)
  • Dinette seatback cushions (Marie - 1 down, 2 to go

Trying to get as much done as possible before our short vacation next week. You will notice I added one to-do that I had forgotten....I originally planned to reskin the entry door which had been gouged in a previous incident. I had put that on the back burner, but since I needed to buy a 2'x3' sheet of Alclad for the Fridge door panel, I decided to just buy everything I would need for the entry door, giving myself extra work in the process.

Luckily, everything is moving along swimmingly. Once the poly is done and the trailer isn't littered with drawer boxes, I'll pull out the DSLR and take some nicer pictures to share.
I am going to hold out for pictures. We are discovering quickly that putting more lights in everything is a good idea. Glad to see you already know that. Very good work.
Sandy
Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #355
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Cabinets - Check.

Didn't have a chance to get the DSLR, but I was able to snap some cell phone photos so that I can at least provide an update. I have finished the cabinets.

The photos I've included are:

1. The overall view from the bed, showing that I've attempted to retain as much openness as possible by only having that one floor to ceiling cabinet on the curbside, as well as the aluminum upper above the window. It still feels open and spacious for such a small trailer, although not as much as before obviously.

2. The cushions that Marie has been working on. She intentionally did the middle back cushion first because it is the one that will be used on the drop-down table for a guest bed.

3. A close up of the aluminum T- trim that I used for the lip of the U-dinette as well as the short section on the bed.

4. I'm addicted to LED strip lights. I wired up both the magazine racks and the sunken wine rack to the same toggle switch, near the top of the wine rack area. It really adds a nice touch. The wine bottles not only have a strip around the perimeter of the three bottles, a few inches from the bottom, but also that strip along the top. This results in a downlighting that makes the labels visible as you lift them, and also illuminates them enough from the bottom to make the bottles seem to "glow". Unfortunately it works best on whites and we both like reds. You probably won't be able to see it, but the middle bottle is Happy Camper brand. You may also notice the dark storage spot above. That is for phones/wallets/keys etc.

5. The finished magazine rack (1 of 2). Airstream Life will always be on top, and Backpacker or Popular Mechanics on the bottom rack. How appropriate...

6. A closeup of the aluminum J trim used on the lips of the racks, as well as in the storage closet and shelf to hide and protect the 1/8" veneer edge where items might be dragged in and out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream interior 07.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	190957   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 09.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	190958  

Name:	airstream interior 10.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	190959   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 08.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	190960  

Name:	airstream interior 11.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	190961   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 12.jpg
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	190962  

Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #356
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
More photos

Continuing the photos...

1. This shows the heater door which I wanted to show for reference compared to the next two photos. However, it also shows the hardwood flooring that we purchased on massive discount at HD. We either wanted really dark or really light. We couldn't find a bamboo or other light, tight grain wood that we agreed on, but we agreed on this dark color, and the $4.29/sqft marked down to $1.something/sqft didn't hurt. Unfortunately, it also shows the one thing I have been avoiding fixing-- the wood panel below the bed (right hand side of photo) was stained with the wrong can a while back, and I still need to sand it off and re-stain. I might just use a fresh piece of 1/8" veneer cut to fit.

2. The heater door is a "up and in" type hinge. Because I designed the compartment without knowing how much space the hardware might occupy, I had to find a sliding system that could hide the door, and yet only be an inch tall to clear the heater inside. Most of the typical kitchen appliance garage hardware is much thicker and bulky. I found these simple slides with hinged ends, flattened the hinged ends, cut off part of them with a metal grinder, and got them to work. So the door hinges up, then slides back to be completely hidden within the compartment.

3. And after that is done, out slides the heater! All that is left is to make a foldable stand that it can be placed on. Now I know what some of you are thinking: all of that work for a dinky little Olympian cat heater?? This was motivated by the low frequency of heater use for us. That little Wave 3 heats the entire trailer in only a few minutes, and we only use it on 10% of our trips, and only for 30 minutes or an hour in the evening or morning. For that limited use, it was not worth physically mounting on the wall, creating a bulky visual break in the clean lines of the cabinet. I also like it in this drawer because even though I will have a cover, it will help to protect it from dust (if you don't know, dust is the kryptonite of these platinum catalyst heaters).

4. My pull out trash can and cleaning supplies drawer, which uses up that awkward space beneath the sink. The last thing I will dovetail for a long time. I built it to fit the specs of a typical small office rectangular trash bin, and the rear portion fits all of the cleaning supplies that we have never been able to take with us in the trailer before.

That concludes the photos for now. More to come soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream interior 03.jpg
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	190963   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 05.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	190964  

Name:	airstream interior 04.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	190965   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 06.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	190966  

Old 07-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #357
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
  • 2 Dinette seatback cushions

Flooring complete, did a floating install of Bruce engineered hardwood. Will eventually find some dark flexible 1/2" quarter round that can be put around 4" radius curves. Either that or I will have to use aluminum trim somehow.

In other news, although we have many weekend plans for the trailer over the next year, it is hard to fit things around work during the week and school on weekends. Because of that, we just decided on our biggest trip yet- a 2 week road trip through Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, and Great Basin next June as soon as I graduate and my weekends are once again free. It may be 11 months away, but I'm already looking forward to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream interior 13.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	191173   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 14.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	191174  

Name:	airstream interior 15.jpg
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	191175   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 16.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	191176  

Name:	airstream interior 17.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	191177  

Old 07-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #358
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Gorgeous!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #359
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Very nice! Great work Peter.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #360
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
The curves in the woodwork are stunning, and I like what you did with the cat heater, I think they are ugly and deserve being hidden!

reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote