Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Pacer > 1959 Pacer
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #261
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Update 6/2/12:

One month until the big trip. Doing 3 things at once to get there. Finishing up the last cabinet stick frame. Built it with a large opening toward the front door. This is because I decided to build a sealed door in the cabinet as opposed to a vent door in the aluminum. I wanted to minimize leak points wherever possible. Skinned the frame interior with 1/8" veneer and attached the counter base. Just need to finish the half-wardrobe next to it and the framing will all be complete.

Also doing more wiring...tank level sensors, fridge power, outlets, and installed the LED strip light in the overhead cabinet.

Finally, picked up the Corian remnants for the counters yesterday. Can't wait to assemble them!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1304163291.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	159885   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1696844796.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	159886  

Name:	image-1373943670.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	159887   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3618186723.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	159888  

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #262
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Thanks for the idea!
Look forward to seeing how it works out. I'm debating about the same thing and perhaps a voltmeter.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #263
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Update 6/2/12:

One month until the big trip. Doing 3 things at once to get there. Finishing up the last cabinet stick frame. Built it with a large opening toward the front door. This is because I decided to build a sealed door in the cabinet as opposed to a vent door in the aluminum. I wanted to minimize leak points wherever possible. Skinned the frame interior with 1/8" veneer and attached the counter base. Just need to finish the half-wardrobe next to it and the framing will all be complete.

Also doing more wiring...tank level sensors, fridge power, outlets, and installed the LED strip light in the overhead cabinet.

Finally, picked up the Corian remnants for the counters yesterday. Can't wait to assemble them!!!
Peter,
Your cabinets are looking great! I have always liked the lighted uppers.

Are you planning on having fans to help cool the back of the frig? After I started mine it was smelling hot inside the camper and the cabinet was warm to the touch so I added 2 12v computer fans to the upper vent and it took care of the problem.
I look forward to seeing the corian.

Our Cruiser had developed a leak from one of the front windows during a bad rainstorm, I was glad that I had caulked around all the cabinets inside and out because it kept the water from spreading under everything. Also when finishing the cabinets I made sure to varnish and seal the bottom edges of the cabinets so if water did get to there it wouldn't soak up into the wood.
This is probably to much info.
Everything looks great!
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #264
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Your trailer is looking great, Peter! I'm taking lots of notes, since I'm slowly moving toward the sink/fridge area of my project cabinet framing. I really appreciate the pictures, since I'm a vision learner! Thanks for that & keep up the great work!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #265
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
Peter,
Your cabinets are looking great! I have always liked the lighted uppers.

Are you planning on having fans to help cool the back of the frig? After I started mine it was smelling hot inside the camper and the cabinet was warm to the touch so I added 2 12v computer fans to the upper vent and it took care of the problem.
I look forward to seeing the corian.

Our Cruiser had developed a leak from one of the front windows during a bad rainstorm, I was glad that I had caulked around all the cabinets inside and out because it kept the water from spreading under everything. Also when finishing the cabinets I made sure to varnish and seal the bottom edges of the cabinets so if water did get to there it wouldn't soak up into the wood.
This is probably to much info.
Everything looks great!
Doug
I hadn't planned on fans, but easily could add them. The wires for the control module are oversized and I could wire a couple muffin fans to that. Was this heat while operating in LP, 120V, or 12V?

I am planning on caulking around all the cabinets, but haven't done it yet because I'm not sure what to use. I know silicone is a no-no, so are we talking some type of acrylic or latex? Hadn't planned to varnish and seal anything other than the veneer. To be honest, I probably won't go the extra mile in that regard since I'm building the cabinets in place.

- Peter

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #266
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
I tried the frig in all 3 modes and it was the worst in LP mode, at first I thought it was just the newness of it but it didn't go away until I added the fans. It may be the way I made my vents?

As far as the caulking I used vulkem everywhere I could where it would not show.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #267
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
I tried the frig in all 3 modes and it was the worst in LP mode, at first I thought it was just the newness of it but it didn't go away until I added the fans. It may be the way I made my vents?

As far as the caulking I used vulkem everywhere I could where it would not show.
I'll use this first big trip as a test run without muffin fans, and I'll add them afterwards if needed. We'll see how the vents hold up, that is, once I muster the courage to finish polishing the outside around vents and then actually rivet them in.

I was scared you would say Vulkem. I wanted to avoid using it on the interior where possible, but maybe for the cabinet to aluminum wall interfaces I will. I'll probably just do the subfloor to cabinets in silicone. I don't have to worry about hiding it there because the hardwood will eventually cover it.

As for today's Update, I was all over the place. Started by finishing running all the propane lines, which resulted in me drilling through the electric brake wire in less than ten minutes. Turned an hour job into a couple by having to snake the wire out, repair, replace, etc. It was extremely unlucky, given that there are only two one-foot lengths of 1/4" wide wire not hidden along the frame rails, so that I happened to hit that specific 6 square inches of potential wire along the entire sub-floor. I should have bought a lottery ticket after.....

Then I worked on electrical, then back to propane, then finished installing the upper vent above the hot water heater, etc. etc. You get the idea. All the little things.

3 weeks to do the following:
- Remove plywood counter base, fabricate/ construct with Corian, install countertop (why again did we choose a circular, undermounted sink?)
- Fill up tanks and figure out how to wire the level sensors.
- Turn on the propane system. Look for leaks. Test all 4 users.
- Help Marie finish the window awnings so that we don't have to go buy shutters/blinds yet.
- Optional/Highly desired: Polish first cut on exterior.

Think I'll make it?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #268
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
I was scared you would say Vulkem. I wanted to avoid using it on the interior where possible, but maybe for the cabinet to aluminum wall interfaces I will. I'll probably just do the subfloor to cabinets in silicone. I don't have to worry about hiding it there because the hardwood will eventually cover it.
I hate using vulkem also but it is a great product. Especially inside the trailer because the smell and off gassing can last for a while. That's a real bummer on the wire! I am worried about that every time I drill a hole or run a screw into the side!
We are heading out on our first big trip in 3 weeks also, so lots of little things and one big thing to finish(polishing)!
Good luck with your list!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #269
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Quote:
- Optional/Highly desired: Polish first cut on exterior.

Think I'll make it?
I hear you, that's why I decided to change my plan from "floor on restoration" to top down restoration, and am polishing the roof, along with replacing my vents while I have scaffolding borrowed from my neighbor.

I have been following Shari's advice (Inside/Out) on the polish and it really gives me some motivation.

You should be fine... can't wait to see FINAL pics!

Good luck,

TIMK

TAC CA-77
REDSLED88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #270
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
I'm officially embarrassed. Two real mess-ups on this trailer project, and they are within 36 hours of each other, and both involved blind drilling of the floor.

Can anyone guess what I hit with my drill approximately 2-3 weeks ago and discovered today?

I'll give you a hint: this one wasn't based upon luck or rather lack thereof, but on my own sheer stupidity.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #271
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Did you hit the brake line again? I hate those mistakes that double the time you spend on a task. I had to remove my fridge this weekend to do a long needed, but minor, repair to the inside of the cabinet. I carefully unpluged the fridge, disconnected the 12v wires, and removed the screws holding the fridge into the cabinet and then proceeded to start removing it from the cabinet. Yep, forgot to disconnect the gas line and managed to destroy the gas line I had just installed last year. Turned a 1 hour job into a 2 hour job as I had to replace that entire feed line.

Your trailer is looking great and I love seeing the updates. Keep up the good work.

Norm
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #272
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Reviewing your thread I'm going to guess you hit the tank sensor wires.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #273
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm guessing one of your water tanks.....that would be baaaad!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #274
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I have read this entire thread and the job that you are doing is fantastic. It looks like it is getting really close to being done. Of course, they are never completely done.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #275
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Hmmm

I'm guessing the umbilical cord.

At least we know it's not the black water tank... that would suck.

TAC CA-77
Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #276
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I'm guessing one of your water tanks.....that would be baaaad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSLED88 View Post
I'm guessing the umbilical cord.

At least we know it's not the black water tank... that would suck.
I'm gonna give the win to Becky....although it's not a blackwater tank. Graywater only. And since I have barely even put freshwater through the system, let along "graywater", it was clean. However, there is indeed an 1/8" hole through the bottom of one, about 1" from the edge.

I'm going to cut a small inspection hole in the belly pan without touching the tank, thread a small SS bolt with some Vulkem through and see how secure it feels. What do you think?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #277
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
On the other hand...

Let's talk about the good things from today, because it was certainly a one step back, four steps forward kind of day.

1. No leaks in LP system.
2. Fridge works in 120V, and LP. Auto-switchover works, LP tank regulator works. Thing got cold, back and cabinet didn't get too hot.
3. Water heater works. The automatic propane cutoff valve works on loss of water flow, loss of ignition, and incomplete combustion. Pretty neat. Water got warm within 5 seconds or so, and hot within another 5. I'm content. Now it's just a test of vibration and time.
4. Came home to find that Marie had finished the first window awning! We went with Sunbrella, and spent a while looking at a whole bunch of crazy patterns before settling on a very simple design.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream awning.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	160154  

Old 06-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #278
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm gonna give the win to Becky....although it's not a blackwater tank. Graywater only. And since I have barely even put freshwater through the system, let along "graywater", it was clean. However, there is indeed an 1/8" hole through the bottom of one, about 1" from the edge.

I'm going to cut a small inspection hole in the belly pan without touching the tank, thread a small SS bolt with some Vulkem through and see how secure it feels. What do you think?
Peter,

Try this stuff, I've used it a lot to plug holes and repair stripped threads.
Started using it on boats years ago, now the grey is part of the AS tool kit.

I used it as an emergency repair for this leak, that was 4 Seasons ago.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water leak 002.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	160162  
Old 06-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #279
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Well, it happens to the best of us! I put a hole in my freshwater tank on my first AS. It was in the top of the tank. I drilled larger holes in the plywood where I thought the hole was & stuck my finger in them to feel for the hole. I got caught in one of the holes like a Chinese puzzle & literally was stuck until a neighbor passed by & I yelled for them to get my daughter. She couldn't help me & my husband had to come home from work & drill all around my finger till he could break out the plywood. Pretty humiliating! We fixed the hole with a stainless screw & vulkem. It was on the top, though. I'm not sure about the pressure on the bottom.

Nice awning, by the way! Very nice!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #280
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Kudos

Quote:

1. No leaks in LP system. Sweet
2. Fridge works in 120V, and LP. Auto-switchover works, LP tank regulator works. Thing got cold, back and cabinet didn't get too hot. Awesome
3. Water heater works. The automatic propane cutoff valve works on loss of water flow, loss of ignition, and incomplete combustion. Pretty neat. REALLY NEAT. Water got warm within 5 seconds or so, and hot within another 5. I'm content. I would be. Now it's just a test of vibration and time. Isn't this always the way! Who needs the RVIA anyways
4. Came home to find that Marie had finished the first window awning! We went with Sunbrella, and spent a while looking at a whole bunch of crazy patterns before settling on a very simple design.
Wow, sorry peter, but Marie gets the Kudos this time, that window awning looks GREAT!

Remember, your still 3 steps forward!

TIMK

TAC CA-77