Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
New Find

This is my first post on the forum. I'm a real newbie at Airstream trailers so I need some questions answered.

I found a trailer today, an Overlander, made in Calif. I've copied down the following information:

M-4 S-0659 2512
Doh#14416

26TS S0659

I'm assuming the 26 means 26 feet long. What about the TS? And can anyone tell me what all the other numbers mean?

On the outside, the trailer has a few "dings"...........nothing that can't be fixed. The top must have leaked because there is some kind of grey roofing paint on it. The lady won't let me see inside because she want's to clean it first. I did notice it has a channel frame and not pipe. I wasn't really looking for a 26 foot trailer...........probably something smaller like an 18 Footer, but if the price she is asking is a fair one, I might bite.

Any help on this?
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Craigs List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C
This is my first post on the forum. I'm a real newbie at Airstream trailers so I need some questions answered.

On the outside, the trailer has a few "dings"...........nothing that can't be fixed. The top must have leaked because there is some kind of grey roofing paint on it. The lady won't let me see inside because she want's to clean it first. I did notice it has a channel frame and not pipe. I wasn't really looking for a 26 foot trailer...........probably something smaller like an 18 Footer, but if the price she is asking is a fair one, I might bite.

Any help on this?
Whoo-hoo. Nothing as exciting as looking for a new project is there? A friend just tipped me off about www.craigslist.org . It just ticks me off that I'm on the wrong coast. Go there and do a search for "Airstream" or "travel trailer". Right now there is an Argosy that looks Very interesting - and there are several smaller Airstreams.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well I know the 26 is for feet, the T is for rear twin beds the second S is for Jackson Center Ohio where it would have been made, but that first S I would have thought was for Soverign, but since it's not, I don't really know. Go to "search" and see what you can find. "Ken" on the forum is the one to write to. He knows everything.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The numbering system is not the same every year. This link shows the difference between the late 60's through the end of the seventy's.
http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...pre1980vin.pdf
This is my quess as to the vin number:
The first T is for the twin bed arangement
The first S is really a 5 for 1975
The second S is California

Also the 6203 number could be the WBCCI number if the PO was a member. If so, it is most likely large red numerals on the front and rear of the trailer. More information an be found by searching WBCCI with the search tool.

Good luck if you buy it and keep looking if you don't.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
No Red Numbers on front or back. I realize without seeing it, this is really an unfair question, but what would a fairly decent trailer like this be worth? I don't even know where to start when talking with her about price. Oh yes, she said it was a 1962.........she thought.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:18 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Check out this link: http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html
Take a look at the condition and do the math. The prices on this chart have not been updated for a while, I would expect them to be a little higher.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Thanks. That's a lot of reading, but I'll wade through it. Looks interesting.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Find

Greetings Chris!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
No Red Numbers on front or back. I realize without seeing it, this is really an unfair question, but what would a fairly decent trailer like this be worth? I don't even know where to start when talking with her about price. Oh yes, she said it was a 1962.........she thought.
One place to look for help in establishing a value on a Vintage Coach is R. J. Dial's websit and the Price vs. Condition page -- see:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

I suspect that 1962 may be correct as during the 1970s the Overlander was sold as a 27' coach while during much of the 1960s it was sold as a 26' coach. One clue would be the front window -- if the front window is a single unit, it would pre-date 1969 -- if the front window has a pair of side or wing windows, it is likely a post 1968. Also, if it has an entry door with a door-within-a-door arrangement it would be a pre-1965 coach (the small door inside of the regular entrance door opens to expose the screen door). The curbside photo of my '64 Overlander shows the two characteristics of the pre-1965 coaches -- the door-within-a-door and the jalousie window(s) beside the door (a '62 would be quite similar).

Good luck with your investigation. While it may seem large, the Overlander is actually a nice size coach from a towing standpoint -- in many ways it is easier to tow than my single-axle 6.0 Metre Minuet. Fully loaded for an extended trip, my '64 Overlander has a gross weight of approximately 6,100 pounds with a gross hitch weight of about 750 to 775 pounds.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Kevin, thanks for the comments. Nice looking Airstream, by the way.

Anyone else have any comments which might help me in this new journey?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hello Chris C

Isn't exciting!

This site is not only excellent for information on how to assist you in determining a fair price - but if you look closely at the Photo Archive , especiall pre 1967 - are basically sequential. The Gentleman - used to either work with or new a fellow who worked for Airstream Inc - and was able to obtain the serial numbers.

I had written to him to ask your very same questions on our own 1961 26' Overlander.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...verlander.html

Save you a bit of reading - it does look like your serial number S0659 falls within the 1962 Sequence. The first part of the number 26TS most above have pegged it for you. 26' Twin Single Beds with Rear Bathroom and the S is in 1962 Santa Fee Springs - Later just refered to as California.

As far as a good price - that is always a loaded question. Peter and I paid $2500 US for ours (It was listed as $1900 6 months earlier) but the PO got wind of "market value" via the same site - but many here would probably not pay more than $1500 - we bought sight unseen - but to us it was the year pre 64 and post 57 that we wanted - the skin which was the most important to us - was the best we had seen in all the 63's we looked at - found no 62's or any late 50's at the time. The cabinetry was in fairly good shape too - which would help us with our decision in the future when it came to keeping or replacing it. At least it gave us a great template to work from to restore.

However when we arrived we found that the floor is pretty rotten and we will be doing a full floor replacement - but the frame is okay - so it was caught before the frame rust stage.

From what you have described and if there are some of the appliances that still work - be prepared for between $2000 - $4000 or more depending on what the PO perceives value to be.

Many here will tell you be prepared to walk away But I have this terrible habit if I want something that bad I will pay a little more for it. We fell in love with the 61 and were so dissapointed when they took it off the market for 6 months.

A 26' is nice and light 3750 pounds dry weight with standard options. Any add ons - which were pretty scarce back then. Although it is not small and "cute" as the Bambi's, Caravels and Globe Trotters - They are really cool vintage artifacts that have some neat roof stacks and the infamous Door in Door.

A tell tail sign of the California mades are the wheel wells.

This is a picture of when we picked up ours in Vermont. We taped and bungied everthing just in case to make sure we did not loose anything on the way.

Good luck with your negotiations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_9964.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	16204  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Thanks, Michael. Lots of valuable information for a newbie there. I appreciate your taking the time to post.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:28 AM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Chris -

Welcome! I'm certain the first set of numbers that you posted...

M-4 S-0659 2512
Doh#14416

...are from a Dept. of Housing tag stating the trailer passes inspection and/or meets the current housing code in CA when the trailer was built. These numbers & letters are general to trailers built at the time and not particular to your trailer. Pretty generic stuff.

The second set of numbers relay to this individual trailer and would have been found on a different metal tag along side the DOH tag. These are the serial numbers that identify your individual coach.

Hope this helps. Others have explained your particular numbers but didn't identify the first set. As a newbie, I thought this info may help. Good luck on your decision and let us know the outcome.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Another good tool is Ebay, do a advanced search, use Airstream and the year it was made,it should help in a price,There are photos and discriptions there, once you start it becomes a mission !!! I have been on a mission for a year and half !!!!! good luck and if you get it ,,,Enjoy it
Old 11-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I believe this trailer is in an "As Found" condition. I've not seen the inside, but I know it has been sitting in the same spot for the past 6 years..............and heaven knows how much longer than that. It was used as an extra bedroom by the family when the "black sheep" son returned home. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a disaster inside. The lady who owns it says she's painted the interior 3 different times since they bought it new. They also replaced the toilet and hot water heater. (She did say she didn't think the HWH had ever even been fired up, though!)I'm beginning to think it's going to cost way more than I can afford to fix it up. And what I'd really like to have is a Bambi or Caravel anyway. Think I'll pass on this one.

It doesn't have a sign on it. I just stopped by the property and asked if they were interested in selling it and she said "probably" and told me she couldn't possibly take less than $2,000 for it. On the surface, to a newbie like me, that sounds pretty fair....................but after all the reading I've done, it sounds a little high and with the cost of reconditioning, think I'd be better off waiting.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:00 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:

It doesn't have a sign on it. I just stopped by the property and asked if they were interested in selling it and she said "probably" and told me she couldn't possibly take less than $2,000 for it. On the surface, to a newbie like me, that sounds pretty fair....................but after all the reading I've done, it sounds a little high and with the cost of reconditioning, think I'd be better off waiting.

Thanks again for all your help.
Chris,
I don't think that price is too out of line unless it is totally trashed. I looked at an 88 25' Excella today that the "asking" price was $10k...it had bad axles, no curtains, 2/3 of the orginal interior was missing, 4 miss matched tires, no battery, non OPD tanks and some moderate panel denting on the front roof segments. I just hope someone doesn't pay that price for it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote