Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I guess you are going to do some serious insulation, as the heat from the furnace will not be good for anything electronic.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Norm:

I will double check the toe molding. I cut out four screwed to the floor through the frame of the cabinet. I got all the aluminum molding off the counter top but when I pulled the galley. I could see it tugging on the back aluminum inner skin.

Brian
Old 01-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
I forgot to mention that the cove molding is stuck down with butyl tape. Did you get that already? If the cove molding is still stuck to the countertop and riveted to the wall, the counter is not going to want to come out. My cove molding was screwed down to the counter and riveted to the wall. I had to take out both the screws and the rivets.

Norm
Old 01-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
My cove molding is up. This attachment looks like it is down below the counter top somewhere behind the faucet.

Brian
Old 01-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Shoot, I'm stumped too. The only thing I can think of is additional screws going up through the cabinet framing into the counter top.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #146
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I went out early this morning and realized i missed on little spot of butyl on the counter. I scraped the dime size putty off and found a screw I missed. The galley is out.

Brian
Old 01-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have the patch fitted around the hot water heater. The aluminum channel is in place between the inner and outer walls. I have a piece of tape covering the top part of the patch to prevent a water leak I Just need to finish the job. I am missing the four corner supports for the hot water heater. They were not attached to the hot water heater and they were not in the box.

I decided to order olympic rivets. I will take care of that tonight. I started getting tired and did not want to mess up what I got finished today.

I removed the galley, cleaned the area behind it, painted the wheel well. I noticed at slit in the wheel well. I will need to patch it.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater 2.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	118546  
Old 01-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #148
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Cold, lots of snow, and all my tools are in the trailer. Snowed in, so I thought now would be a good time to take a picture from my new camera given to me by my kids for my birthday.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1203.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	119110  
Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #149
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Looks a lot like my driveway too...pretty.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #150
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I was able to get to work on the trailer today. I took the curtain rods down and removed all the latex paint. My wife painted them with Krylon chrome aluminum. They are drying as I type. My son and his friend Ruben removed the kitchen cabinet. I am going to visit my old school I used to teach and ask the auto body teacher the easiest way to remove the paint. They have been painted twice and it is on there thick. We want the orginal aluminum finish on them.

My son and his friend cut out a patch where to old furance was. Those guys did a geat job. They drilled holes put clecos in and were planning on riveting . We lost the rivets. My wife thinks she threw them out because we kept them in the origninal box and she threw it away last week during garbage day. I will have to order some more.

My son put the patch on the old water heater hole last weekend and I installed the water heater. He drilled and put the rivets in last weekend.

Question?????? We are looking for the old sliding snaps that came with the trailer with the curtains. We have not been able to find them. They are a metal snap in plastic slider. Where can I get those?

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1207.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	120382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1208.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	120383  

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	120384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	120385  

Old 01-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I took some more pics.

You can see the curtain rod with the sliding snaps, which we need to buy. I also took pictures of the cabinet, the window with the paint stripped off, and the patch for the old furnace hole.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cabinet.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	120386   Click image for larger version

Name:	curtain rod.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	120387  

Name:	new patch.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	120388   Click image for larger version

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	120389  

Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I was able to get to work on the trailer today. I took the curtain rods down and removed all the latex paint. My wife painted them with Krylon chrome aluminum. They are drying as I type. My son and his friend Ruben removed the kitchen cabinet. I am going to visit my old school I used to teach and ask the auto body teacher the easiest way to remove the paint. They have been painted twice and it is on there thick. We want the orginal aluminum finish on them.

My son and his friend cut out a patch where to old furance was. Those guys did a geat job. They drilled holes put clecos in and were planning on riveting . We lost the rivets. My wife thinks she threw them out because we kept them in the origninal box and she threw it away last week during garbage day. I will have to order some more.

My son put the patch on the old water heater hole last weekend and I installed the water heater. He drilled and put the rivets in last weekend.

Question?????? We are looking for the old sliding snaps that came with the trailer with the curtains. We have not been able to find them. They are a metal snap in plastic slider. Where can I get those?

Brian
Nice progress. The hot water heater looks great. Must be nice to be able to work on this with your son.

For the curtains, are you looking for the clips that stay in the curtain rod or the snap tape that is sewn into the curtain itself? I know Vintage Trailer has the snap tape, but I'm not sure where to find the plastic snaps that slide in the curtain rod.

Norm
Old 01-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Norm:

We are going to call vintage to see if they have the sliding snaps. We got the curtain Rods from Andy, but I was told they did not have the slider snaps. I will keep looking.

Today we worked on the trailer from 8:00 A.M. until 5:30 P.M. I polished most of the day. I am using a Dewalt polisher with wool pads. It is going really slow. Inch by inch. My arms feel like 100lbs. We also used Aviation paint remover and stripped most of the metal overhead kitchen Cabinet. There was three coats of paint on it. I think we are down to one coat left. It is going to be a two weekend job. The rest of the floor got stained and we polished areas around the windows that need to be done by hand. I hope we get another nice weekend.

My wife is going to clean the walls really well where the galley is and I plan on putting that back together next weekend. My wife has made all the wood work look like new.

Brian
Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #154
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I removed the old whip antenna and I will need to make a patch for the big holes. I decided to put a side mount antenna over the patch.

My wife finished making her first widow awning and she is three quarters finished with the second awning. She is using Sunbrella material.
My son finished the patch for the old furnace hole. I took the kitchen metal cabinet in to be powdercoated yesterday. Things are moving along. Today I am going to put a thin wood underlayment down before I put the floor in. I am also going to run speaker wires.

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	correct patch.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	122124   Click image for larger version

Name:	window awning.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	122125  

Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #155
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Cool awnings. I like the fabric choice.
Norm
Old 02-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks Norm!

We got half the wood underlayment in today. I did some polishing, and my wife finsihed the second awning. Today was a good day. Even had time to set up my experiment for school. I am teaching the kids about high and low pressure in the atmosphere. I took a stopper and put a tire valve in it. This will be put in a plastic bottle. I will take a few drop of alcohol and put it in the bottom and pressurize the bottle to 40lbs. when I release the pressure it will make a cloud. I will pump air in the bottle again and the cloud will go away. I will do this experiment over and over, so they understand why we have clouds. Cool experiment.

It was a good day.

Brian
Old 02-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I also like the awning! Kinda inspires me to give a try at making a curbside rope and pole for my '63.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
HiHo:

She has everything cut and ready to go for the rest of the awnings. My wife knows her stuff when it comes to sewing. She was having some problems with the thread. It is special thread for sewing awnings. The machine kept eating it and getting messed up. She has a very nice machine and this is the first time she had problems with a thread. She ordered more thread so we will see what happens.

We plan on making the pole awning. I am trying to find a place to buy the poles. I have been pricing but I do not know where to buy or how tall to get.

Brian
Old 02-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
HiHo:

She has everything cut and ready to go for the rest of the awnings. My wife knows her stuff when it comes to sewing. She was having some problems with the thread. It is special thread for sewing awnings. The machine kept eating it and getting messed up. She has a very nice machine and this is the first time she had problems with a thread. She ordered more thread so we will see what happens.

We plan on making the pole awning. I am trying to find a place to buy the poles. I have been pricing but I do not know where to buy or how tall to get.

Brian

I got my poles at Wal-mart, I believe they are 8'. On an Overlander you'll probably want 4 of them across. Here's a picture:

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Utee:

Thanks for the Wal-Mart information. When we get to that point I will order the poles. She is almost finished with her third window awning.

Brian

Tags
1960, 1960 overlander, restoration