Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #301
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Update on the 60 overlander. Jim (Jim and Susan) once again pulled me out of a jam. This man is very meticulous running down wires. I did a great job holding the flashlight while he helped me with putting in the new fuse panel for my converter. I sure did not know what I was doing. I paid Jim with a Giada De Laurentis Italian meat loaf and few cigars. Thanks Jim. I will have pics tomorrow.

We did not hook up the red wire or the two blue wires coming out the wall at the front of the trailer. Jim is pretty sure the red is the car battery wire and I am sure he is correct. I will be taking the rig to a trailer tow place to have my electric brakes rebuilt and I will let them confirm what the red wire is for and if the blue wires play a role.

Tomorrow my wife and I will start putting beds back in trim work and start the plumbing.

Brian
Old 10-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #302
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Anytime. Adrienne's meatloaf was a big hit around here tonight. I had to chase the kids away to get a piece of it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #303
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Well we will have to forget the pictures. I have used up my attachment quota. Anyway it looks great. Do I have to delete some old pics to load more?

Pics of the new fuse panel Jim set me up with. Also pics of the Diffusers I made by using Duralens Prismatic white (lowes). I will also post pics of the Reducers that seperate the wood floor from the Allure floor. I did not want the reducer. I would have been happy with the metal strip, but my wife was very insistent and I am glad she was. It looks great.

Brian
Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #304
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Well we will have to forget the pictures. I have used up my attachment quota. Anyway it looks great. Do I have to delete some old pics to load more?

Pics of the new fuse panel Jim set me up with. Also pics of the Diffusers I made by using Duralens Prismatic white (lowes). I will also post pics of the Reducers that seperate the wood floor from the Allure floor. I did not want the reducer. I would have been happy with the metal strip, but my wife was very insistent and I am glad she was. It looks great.

Brian

Ha.. you could pay the $20 supporting member fee and get unlimited photos - took me a while to figure that out...
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #305
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
No pics unitl I pay my contribution fee but I have been working hard on the trailer.

I put one of the twin beds back in. I rewired one of the bed room lights and it has been cleaned, painted, restained and poly. It wasn't working and now it is. The other light is ready to be put back together. It has been rewired and the DC light is working, but I am not getting any AC coming out of the wall. I Tried to trace the problem with out any success. I took an outlet out of the wood wall that PO put in and I am in the process of repairing the hole.

I put the water tank in and I am ready to put the front bed in. I bought a new light that will sit outside the front door. It is going to look great. The trailer is slowly getting put back together. Two day weekends are not what I would like but I have to deal with it.

Brian
Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #306
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Did you put a support in under the entry area? I have to get some metal welded in there.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #307
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Alan:

I am not sure I understand your question. If you are speaking about the entry way I did put some metal there. I did not weld. I put it under the floor and between the metal the floor sits on. I used self taping screws and anchored it in that way. Now that I have the wood floor in nothing moves.

Do you have any idea why I am not getting AC out of the wall where my bedroom wall light sits? That light sits right over the breaker box. I would think the wire is tied into it ,or close by. Did you take your inside skins off when you redid your trailer? I was wondering if you had a picture.

Brian
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #308
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
didn't take of any skins. All my lights work. I would check the wires of course where they go to the box, may have to run new ones. Critters may have chewed em? Mine had the critters but they did not chew up any wiring thankfully.
I have to get some metal welded across under the entry as there is no support there. The step is ok, but it in not as solid as it could be. I have a welder who will come to the house and fab it up.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #309
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Alan:

My step points down a bit because the step cut a groove in the metal where it gets stopped from falling. It just needs a little weld. Last on my list. I usually bring steps with me because my dogs are old and they can't manage the step any more.

Brian
Old 11-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #310
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Still no pictures, but I have been working on the trailer. We got a new outside light called a Portfolio oval deck light made of glass and metal. It is shaped like the airstream and it looks great. It looks like it belongs. They were on sale at Lowes for $12.00. My son and wife picked it out. They got the perfect light. I installed it and it looks tight. I also put the new homemade light diffuser on another bedroom light. It looks factory and you cannot tell it is homemade. I put another piece of aluminum at the front door way. I rivited in below the door way and wrapped it up onto the floor. I put a new aluminum thresh hold over the aluminum and it looks great. My wife has been touching up her glaze job. I think it looks great but one drip will drive her crazy. We messed up some baseboard we did that goes around the refrigerator case and we will have to do it over. The out door fill valve is in and it looks perfect. Things are moving along. I need to post pics and I will as soon as I make my contribution.

Brian
Old 11-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #311
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The light works on 12v? LOVE TO SEE SOME PHOTOS WHEN YOU CAN, OR EMAIL ME SOME PLEASE. THAT THRESHOLD AREA SOUNDS INTERESTING
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #312
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I probably will give my 20 dollar contribution after X-mas. I have some pics to post. I will post after I pay my contribution. I finished the second twin bed and it is ready to be screwed in, I ran some more plumbing lines. We changed out the sconts, Placed the water pump where I want it to go. Things are coming along.

Brian
Old 12-04-2011, 03:23 AM   #313
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
On another thread I posted that I was nervous about cutting the holes for the furnace. I took one airstreamer's advice and cut through a thin piece of wood first. The wood was placed where I needed to cut the holes through the skin. The wood kept the hole cutter from sliding plus it was easy to draw the holes on the wood. The holes came out perfect and the furnace looks great.

Today I am running the gas lines. Another area I have never ventured before. I have done my research and I know I can get this accomplished. I also cut new refrigerator door panels. We used alumininum to go with our galley cabinet. Only thing is I can't get the bottom door off. It was late and I was tired so I was figuring resting and a good night sleep would bring me the solution.

Brian
Old 12-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #314
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I will have lots a pics in the future.

I cut the holes for the interior skin today and they came out perfect. The Suburban furnace fits perfectly. I plumed the gas lines for the stove and hot water heater. I put in shut off valves for the suburban furnace and the hot water heater just to be safe. I bought the furance heating duct ,which will go in next weekend. I put in the aluminum sheets for the front of the refrigerator and cut some crown molding for the refrigerator cabinet.

Brian

I let a friend borrow my rivet gun so I was not able to rivet the new interior skn for the furance. I will get back to it next weekend. My plan is to have the furance finished next weekend. That is a priority so I can make sure there are no leaks. This will allow me to have heat and work inside the trailer when it gets really cold out.

Brian
Old 12-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #315
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Gas lines are in and everything is hooked up for gas. Stove and oven both work and so does the furnace. I have one leaky valve, which I will fix tomorrow. What a great feeling to have all that out of the way. I still have to hook up the gas to the refrigerator.

Brian
Old 12-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #316
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Sure am looking forward to some visual clues....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #317
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I will get the pics up and running after x-mas. I am just holding the spending down until after then. It will be my birthday after x-mas and I am going to ask one of my kids for the airstream forums contribution for a birthday present. I really don't need anything so that will be a great gift.

The overlander is coming along pretty well. The biggest thing I have to do is get all my tools and get them organized. I spend to much time looking for this or that around the house. All the big stuff is out of the garage and back in the trailer. I can now start cleaning the garage. I need to spend a weekend and empty everything out and put it all back together. I have two weeks off so if the weather is permitting I will do it. My son and I are heading out to go camping for a few days in my other airstream. I will be back at it when I return.

What is dangerous is I just drove past an airstream that looks like a mid 70's sitting in the weeds. I could see from the road that it has been there a long time. I just might have to see if the people want to sell it.

Brian
Old 12-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #318
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You might have Aas. That is Airstream acquisition syndrome.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #319
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I payed my $20.00 contribution. I will see if I can post pics. If you do not see pics then I will wait for them to give me access.

The new fuse panel Jim (Jim and Susan) helped me with. My homemade diffuser which looks like it is factory when installed. My new porch light my wife bought at Lowes for $11.00. My new threshold with new almuminum wrapped around the door way.

More coming.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fusepanel.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	147675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diffuser.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	147676  

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	147677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1301.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	147678  

Old 12-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #320
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Diffuser installed with light on. One of the Twins after it was rebuilt. Still sitting outside.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Diffuser 1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	147680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1302.jpg
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	147681  

Tags