Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Missing Rock Guard Extension Arm

My street side extension arm for the rock guard is missing. I have the base piece attached to the trailer it measures roughly 13 3/8" long. I believe the overall length of both arms is 25 1/2" long. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to obtain this?
Thanks.
64Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Pictures of Rock Guard Telescoping Arm

Here are pictures of the rock guard arms. When I bought my airstream it had bolts holding the rock guard frame to the bracket attached to the trailer, is this standard operating equipment or is there another mechanism?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New window.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	83927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock guard Arm 1.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	83928  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock guard arm 4.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	83929   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0601.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	83930  

64Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Greetings,
RE: Extention arms

What you have for rockguard extention arms and brackets is the same as I have on my 64 Tradewind.... the one part missing also.

I have no idea what was originally used for a latch to hold that thing down... I am hoping that some other vintage owners will jump in and that we can both get an answer,,,,,,but maybe I can help a little with the extention arm issue.

Replacement extention arms with brackets that have spring knob latches
are available through most RV suppliers.... problem is the brackets that mount to the trailer skin are smaller, the mounting holes don't line up with the holes already in the skin from the original brackets.

--- You could patch the old holes in the skin using pan head rivets
and......use new arms and brackets and move them down and attach the to
the trailer to align with the lower edge or the guard
( there should be a hole on lower side frame ).... the free end of the
extention arms would attach to the guard side frame at about mid point
( where your bolt hold down was previously ). I have seen this configuration
on some older airstreams as well as how yours is set up currently.

---- or...... after patching the old mounting holes in the skin, you could try to move
the new brackets over alittle and still use the configuration that you currently
have ( The spring knob will latch into the hole where the bolt now resides ).
This may work as the new brackets are smaller.

---- If you want to use your original mounting brackets, just take the brackets off of the new extention arms and attach them to the old brackets. This will not solve your
problem with securing the rockguard in the closed position.

----- On newer units there are a latch or two along the bottom edge of the guard.

Hope ths helped a little.

Karol
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Sorry cannot help with info or availability of your missing part. Did the prev owner not know what had happened to the bracket? Maybe it's in his gaarage. I guess you checked all the compartments on the trailer??

But I am very glad to see this thread. I am interested in all things "rockguard".
I am hoping someone can chime in whether your exact type of rockguard was a stock item from the factory. Is there by chance any branding info on the frame at all?

The green horizontal corrugated fiberglass shield may not be original but the frame appears to be commercial made (not home crafted).
My trailer has the curved wing windows so a flat guard is not proper for my front, but I am always dreaming of a way to shutter all the windows (for storage) and this style has given me ideas.

If you ever get the opportunity I wish you could take a few more pics of the brackets and a shot that shows the hinge from the closed perspective. And a straight on shot with the guard closed showing front of trailer.

Was your trailer Ohio or California made?

Lastly what is that gadget attached front curbside below the extension arm ? Maybe an antenna holder?

thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Overlander View Post
My street side extension arm for the rock guard is missing. I have the base piece attached to the trailer it measures roughly 13 3/8" long. I believe the overall length of both arms is 25 1/2" long. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to obtain this?
Thanks.
Don't exactly know where Kearney, Mo is but if you are anywhere close to Colaw's trailer salvage in Carthage, you might check there. They are usually good for little parts like that. You might have to look the salvage trailers over pretty good to find it.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote