Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hunting for '61 Overlander...

The Hunt is on.....

We were recently disappointed - we had a 61 Overlander slip past us. Owners had too much time to think about it and changed their mind - one of those deals where you wish you lived next door - cash and carry! (out of site out of mind)

We have had a touch of twofootitis and know that our GT is going to be a tad cramped with two big dogs for trips 3 or more weeks at a time - but MoonBeam is our "purist" Unit and she will be great for the Vintage Weekenders.

So two points -

Anyone have any leads on a 61 26' Overlander dual axle for sale??? Will travel great distances. And if anyone hears of anything in the future we would really be gratefull if you can keep us in mind???? (of course unless you want it for yourself

Anyone interested in a 1969 27' Overlander dual axle?

The recent e-bay listing from Elpaso TX, is still availably - I had contacted the gentleman about the trailer - but then decided not to bid due to the weight restrictions of our TV. He has just contacted me this evening asking if I was still interested. He was asking $3000. He has sent me a number of pictures that I could e-mail to anyone who may be interested - and I can pass on your name to him too. It looks in pretty good shape by the photos. But no systems are checked and not sure what works and what does not.

We think the 69 is just a bit too heavy (4525#) - gained almost 775#'s dry weight from the early 60's - which basically eats up our cargo/liquid rations - so to speak. If we had the Yukon XL then we would be heading to Texas for Christmas Vacation. But we are NOT going through another TV change!!!! Have to draw the line somewhere -

Feel free to PM me or send me an e-mail and I will pass on the photos.

Happy Holidays!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 06:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hunting for 61 Overlander...

Greetings GT6921!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
The Hunt is on.....

We were recently disappointed - we had a 61 Overlander slip past us. Owners had too much time to think about it and changed their mind - one of those deals where you wish you lived next door - cash and carry! (out of site out of mind)

Anyone have any leads on a 61 26' Overlander dual axle for sale??? Will travel great distances. And if anyone hears of anything in the future we would really be gratefull if you can keep us in mind???? (of course unless you want it for yourself

We think the 69 is just a bit too heavy (4525#) - gained almost 775#'s dry weight from the early 60's - which basically eats up our cargo/liquid rations - so to speak. If we had the Yukon XL then we would be heading to Texas for Christmas Vacation. But we are NOT going through another TV change!!!! Have to draw the line somewhere -

Feel free to PM me or send me an e-mail and I will pass on the photos.

Happy Holidays!
The early to mid-1960s Overlanders are a nice size for extended trips, but then I may be a bit biased as a '64 Overlander owner. Even a '64 Overlander would place you within a few hundred pounds of the trailer tow limit on your '99 Yukon - - the empty weight on my '64 is 4,420 (including all installed options) and it generally is near 6,000 to 6,100 pounds when loaded for an extended vacation. My previous tow vehicle was a '95 K1500 Chevrolet club cab pickup with the 5.7 Liter V8 and 3.73 differentials - - it was beyond the capabilities of its motor (had no issues with suspension or towing in general) - - hills of any kind became unpleasant experiences due to its lack of power (its trailer tow rating was 6,000 pounds).

Another option that would give you tandem axles would be a TradeWind (would have separate bedroom area) or Caravanner (large entertaining area with pull-out-lounges for sleeping) in a 24'/25' size - - not all of these coaches of the era (1960-64) would be tandem as the second axle was optional through the '64 model year. One of these coaches would provide a slightly larger weight cushion for your Yukon tow vehicle.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings GT6921!
Another option that would give you tandem axles would be a TradeWind (would have separate bedroom area) or Caravanner (large entertaining area with pull-out-lounges for sleeping) in a 24'/25' size - - not all of these coaches of the era (1960-64) would be tandem as the second axle was optional through the '64 model year. One of these coaches would provide a slightly larger weight cushion for your Yukon tow vehicle.

Good luck with your search! Kevin
Yes it was late when I was doing the Math - and you are right we would be pushing it even with the 61 for an extended trip. We do like the 61 Tradewind as well but they are much harder to find and especially with a dual axle. But patience is a virtue.

I guess we would like the twins and a front dinette the most - that way we could take the parents along on some trips - as they are now getting on. Age is a terrible thing! if you let it take over. We have a big trip the summer of 06 that we are hoping to have the "traveler" all set - or we will be doing B&B's with the Parents cause the GT will not be an option for them. (Suppose I could send the Honey out with the dogs to sleep in the Yukon on occaision hmm there goes a couple of Christmas presents for that one

Thanks for the Info Kevin
Old 12-22-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
GT, I'm confused by your post. Are you replacing Moonbeam or keeping it and adding another?
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
The '61 Overlander was my first choice for the layout and I was lucky enough to get one.It weighed only 3500# when I brought it up from Seattle (don't try to tow a 26' trailer with a BroncoII) and I hope to pare off some of that with the rebuild.There must have been about 200# of mouse poop and mold in it.
The '61 Overlander did not come with a front dinette but I am going to build one as soon as I get the shell finished and can decide on a design.
Good luck with your search.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
GT, I'm confused by your post. Are you replacing Moonbeam or keeping it and adding another?
Hey M&G;

We are keeping the MoonBeam for sure! She is our shall we say Antique show piece - and we will continue with her refurb until she is completely functional and finished. An ongoing project/hobby. We canb't wait to start taking her to the weekend vintage and special Rallys. (a weekend in her we can handle)

The bigger trailer that we are looking for is for the longer hauls like winter vacations and the Caravans we hope to participate in in the near future.

In fact we are planning to travel in the Trans Canada Snowball Caravan that will travel from Eastern Canada to Western Canada picking up the Canadian Contingent then head down in mass to Oregon for the International Rally.

We have invited my parents to take the trip with us. If we take the Globe Trotter then we will have to coordinate B&B's for them along the way. Although we do have the double (okay an odd sized Twin at best!) and the twin singles, barely the size of a sleeping bag in the front - add two dogs - large breed dogs at that, one meal and a few dashes to the bathroom - and you will have an Aluminum nightmare.

With the 24-26' you get the bigger bathroom and ready made singles that are very easy to get in and out of for my parents and a little more leg room up front.

Greg 176
If we have the opportunity to rebuild the front of the next trailer it will be with a large U-shape dinnette that has a versitile table that has an extension/drop down side leaf for use from the galley (extra prep area) - it will swivel to either be centred or off centre depending on who is in for dinner. It would have a quick release top used in Boat Cruisers, with a removealbe centre SS leg that sits firmly into a receased floor mount.

The table top can slide away when not in use(light weight but durable) - With the table removed you have a great u-shape social area that can seat more than 2 people (without having extra chairs hanging around) - we could also build a shorter card/snack/ottoman/coffee table to match.

The main table top can also be locked into the centre to form the filler section that converts the dinette into a HUGE KING size bed. This would take care of Peter and I and the girls - leaving space for guests in the singles.

Saw this layout in one of the powerboating magazines years ago - although the shape is slightly different the concept is perfect to meet our needs.

...and now I know one reason why people have more than one Airstream!

But two will be the limit- hmm although we could park quite a few on our driveway.....

So it went from the Safari - to the Overlander and now we think the Tradewind/Caravaner as suggested may be the ideal compromise for size and weight.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Will a 62 work??

Hi There, Not sure how soon you need one or if a 1962 will work for you? Or if you already found one. I have a 1962, 26 Overlander with twin axles. It has front gaucho with mid twins. I used it extensively last spring/summer/fall. I am not sure how much I will use it in the next few years yet, but may consider selling. If I decide to sell, it most likely will be next fall. I have lots of pictures of it, you could PM me and I could send some. The unit is in Southwestern, Ontario.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:06 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Peter & Sharon -
There's a '60 Trade Wind dual axle on Ebay as we speak. It needs a little interior work but it looks sound. Hey - its even polished. It's in CA. Good luck.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfly
Hi There, Not sure how soon you need one or if a 1962 will work for you? If I decide to sell, it most likely will be next fall. I have lots of pictures of it, you could PM me and I could send some. The unit is in Southwestern, Ontario.
Sounds very interesting I would love to take a look see - will send you a PM shortly. Thanks for responding to this thread! very much appreciated.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Hi Peter & Sharon -
There's a '60 Trade Wind dual axle on Ebay as we speak. It needs a little interior work but it looks sound. Hey - its even polished. It's in CA. Good luck.

FF
Hi FF Long time since we have had a chat - hope to use up the special juice this summer - as of course we never got around to it last summer!!!

what are the chances of 2 pink Units on Ebay - different years and different models but both in CA - Wish I lived there for a few months with a big warehouse and some major green - could open my own Airstream flipping center.

Just glad to see these people are not gutting them - selling of parts and then sell a shell!!! That breaks my heart to see them do that.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #11

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on any Airstream forum, I think I'm going to need lots of help and advice. I found that '61 Overland that Peter and Sharon were looking for, but sorry, we do want it for ourselves! It's full of junk and rat poop, parked in the blackberries on a ranch here on the Oregon coast. Paid all of $500 for it. Don't see any big scratches or dents, it seems to have all the cabinetry woodwork inside, none of the windows are cracked or broken, but the roof vents are gone... how can I tell if the fridge and stove are original? Where's a good site for original floorplans/decor descriptions? Were the insides painted a cream color? We thought the paint was sparkle-flecked, but they turned out to be fly specks! We have experience restoring old houses, and want to restore this old boy (the Airstream's name is Norman after the old man we bought it from). Also, is there a place to look up the serial number and get more info on his history? Thanks for your help!

Chris in Bandon, Oregon
bandonbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

I have a 63 Overlander in Bat Cave NC Zip 28710 it is a dual axle
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:19 PM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey BandonBeagle -
What's the serial number? I'll just bet we can get it decoded. Have you seen the VAC Archives page for '61 O'landers?
http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...erlander1.html

Welcome to vintage Airstreaming! Its alot of fun.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonbeagle
Hi everybody,
I found that '61 Overland that Peter and Sharon were looking for, but sorry, we do want it for ourselves!

Chris in Bandon, Oregon
Ha you are just teasing right....just a big ploy...you bought it for my birthday right - yesterday.... here is the scoup if you say yes then there will only be another 6 weeks of winter - but if you say no.....poof I grant an endless winter until June 21 and we shall skip spring.

Congratulations bandonbeagle!!!! at that price!!! what ever is wrong with it you got a deal. But be prepared to spend lots more to make her nice and sound and safe to use.

PICTURES lets see your find - pics are easy just make sure they are 72 and about 4" around 160kb file size = pop down to the attachment manager just below the post screen and browse to find your photo - press upload - if it is too big it will tell you - keep using your photo edit software to resize untill it fits - I want to see pics!!!!!!!!

At first someone from here told me that early 60's Overlanders were hard to find - well as soon as I start to look in the last 6 weeks - there have been almost 15 on the market - they are out there folks - you just have to be patient.

So our hunt has taken a different approach - when we stumble across one that is just perfect for what we are looking for then we will un-hitch MoonBeam and move on to the next chapter of Airstreaming - but in the mean time MoonBeam is about to start her adventures.....to go where no Kallaste has been before (which is pretty much everywhere for us - tee hee)

Good luck Bandonbeagle and remember no question is dumb and theyare repeated here almost every month - check out the archives makes for great reading - and lots of pictures are hidden within the threads - in fact there should be a photo album dedicated just to thread photos - what a resource that would be.....
Old 02-08-2005, 06:43 PM   #15

Rat Poo

Hi Guys,

Well, we worked on the Overlander again today, got most of the weird automotive parts and paint cans out of it. One of the kitchen drawers was thoughtfully filled with seeds and nuts by resident rats and the next drawer down was where they were hatching their litters!

Will take pictures soon, it looks to be in pretty good shape. Have to pull it out of the blackberry patch and get it home.

The serial number is 26TSS0593 with an 8 61 underneath. How do you trace that/what does it mean?

Thanks, I did see the '61 Overlander site... cute!

Our '61 has square reinforcement bars running up along the ceiling inside the shell, and the old feller who sold it to us says it has a reinforced floor as well, maybe for Safaris! I don't see any trace or shadow of Airstream Club numbers on the outside, that's too bad. And the inside is very strange... it seems to have lost the seating for the front table but the front table is really cool... It's attached at the front of the trailer, is curved to fit the width, and folds up and forward to a half-moon. It has a bank of drawers underneath and drawers above (you'll see when I clean 'er up and take pictures.) We're excited!

Chris
Old 02-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The serial number is 26TSS0593 with an 8 61 underneath. How do you trace that/what does it mean?

The 26 is the length, the T is for twin beds. I've forgotten what the SS is for, the 0593 is the 593 Overlander made and the 8 61 is the month and year it rolled off the assembly line. I'll get back with you on the SS.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Its a 1962 26' Overlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonbeagle
Hi Guys, The serial number is 26TSS0593 with an 8 61 underneath. How do you trace that/what does it mean? Chris
Chris:

Your 26' Overlander is a 1962 model built in August, 1961 [8 61] at the Santa Fe Springs [SS], California factory. The California factory built 175 Overlanders in the 1962 model year (not calendar year) having sequential numbers 0554 to 0728, so yours is the 40th one built that model year. As FF mentions below, T indicates it has twin beds instead of a double [D] bed. Have fun with your trailer.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #18

double bed

Cool!!! Thanks for the info. But it has a double bed on the driver side, with built-in drawers underneath. I can't see any evidence of that having been changed. It has a rear wet bath and the doorway is lined up with the edge of the bed. (Pictures soon). Across from the double bed is a wardrobe closet with storage space above. I think all the cabinets match... will have to inspect further. There are actually remnants of what I think are original curtains and some cushion upholstery... neat, cheerful colors (pictures later).
Old 04-17-2005, 06:09 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

how do you know ?

How do you know all this info ?What would you need from mine to tell me all this and where would I find it?Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Chris:

Your 26' Overlander is a 1962 model built in August, 1961 [8 61] at the Santa Fe Springs [SS], California factory. The California factory built 175 Overlanders in the 1962 model year (not calendar year) having sequential numbers 0554 to 0728, so yours is the 40th one built that model year. As FF mentions below, T indicates it has twin beds instead of a double [D] bed. Have fun with your trailer.
overlander61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Post We Hunt NO MORE

Our undying and relentless search for our next vacation vehicle is finally over.

No more combing the classifieds, anxiously scrolling through e-bay, flipping through Airstream sites hoping for the right one to come along. No more second guessing whether a Motorhome might be the route to go (maybe one day but not now - especially with our luck and engines - why even when we consider taking on a new engine or two the ones we have start acting up )

No more sleepless nights, no more jealous and envious feelings reading through the countless threads started by those who have scored their new projects.

...and very shortly no more sleepless nights in our MoonBeam as we will have our own beds to sleep in.

...but now the sorrow sets in - the feeling of abandonment toward our first airstream treasure and our first vacation from hell in her. I guess for now we will be keeping her and continuing with her complete restore as planned - she is a great weekender and maybe that is the route we will go - keep her for the short weekend vintage Rallies and Use....yes are you READY!!!!!

Our BRAND NEW (drum rolllllllllllll)
1961 Overlander, International

All we can say is that it pays to be patient and it pays to follow up on a good gut feeling. We had one 6 months ago and the owners had second thoughts and pulled her back off the market just as we were about to inspect her (through the long distance inspection service on this forum). As you know we were pretty disappointed.

Last month I got so frustrated with the dealings with different people in trying to get as much information on a long distance purchases that I tossed in the towel....Out of pure desperation I sent the 61 Overlander Owners an e-mail hoping that they may have changed their minds..... another grueling 4 weeks of scouring classifieds and e-bay went by. The very morning we made the decision Not to buy a 24' Motorhome ( we were awful close though)....and the morning that Peter's Honda cost us over $500 in repairs.....it came an e-mail that afternoon - asking if we might still be interested in the 61 Overlander. MY response ----ah let me see .....

We were given a second chance and it felt good then only seeing three pictures and now that we have seen lots of pictures it still feels right and she is now ours.

These people are really nice and do a lot of camping in their other nice trailer . We are anxious to meet them and get "MoonBeams Big Sis" ready for her trip home.

Thanks to all those people I asked questions of about this trailer and that motorhome - you all played a part helping us make our decision to get a larger trailer for our future winter snowbird travels.