Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #881
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Heh, you're too kind. It just seemed like the logical thing to do. I'd originally planned on having some kind of hinged pieces that folded over to cover the gap, but to keep them completely hidden would have required woodworking skills beyond my capability. So I decided on the cleats and the plywood platforms instead, and then pure laziness resulted in the storage solution when not deployed.

If you make one of your own, please do take some pictures and share. I'll be really interested to see the inevitable improvements on the design.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #882
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
...Camping is going great, for the past 3 weeks I've been working on a blog post which includes some of the Airstream tailgating in Austin and Dallas, as well as ...
Got that post & enjoyed it.

Any more planned? I enjoy seeing where you & the family go.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #883
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Time for updates.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #884
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I think Marcus & Co are having too much fun to waste time on the internet. Ours turns 40 in a few months. Way too cool.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:50 AM   #885
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I can give a mini update...
Marcus is doing VERY well for himself right now. He is making some changes in his life and they are all for the better.
He sent me a package yesterday. It contained a few dual voltage fixtures left over from his 1963. He knew I would put them back into the system again so he donated them to the cause. I have had people donate their surplus parts in the past and those parts always seem to find a new home. The 1961 that just left had many donated parts on it.
Marcus, thank you when you read this...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #886
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey guys, really miss hanging out with you all, and especially Skyping with Frank and Rob and Steve and John and Ace. Will get back to it soon, I promise.

Frank, glad you got the package, I hope there's some other stuff you can use. I know those aren't the hinges you REALLY needed, but perhaps you can find some use for them.

Things are crazy busy here, we just bought a new house and moved into it two weeks ago. Moving was a bear, first time in 11 years, but much harder than that was prepping the old house for the market. Especially since we decided to keep it and I'm now a landlord, for better or worse!

We're taking Catarina down to South Padre Island next week, and I absolutely PROMISE I will make a post with some pictures. You won't believe how big the kids have gotten in the last... ummm.... year since I posted pics.

Okay, I'm embarrassed. I need to do a better job with updates, and more importantly just keeping up with all of my friends who I view as family here on the AirForums.

No worries, I haven't lost the Airstream Spirit, far from it! I'm absolutely itching to get started on the front half renovation, and if Frank's not careful I'm going to beat him to the finish line. Anyone up for a Front Half Throwdown???

Take Care!
-Marcus
Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #887
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Anyone up for a Front Half Throwdown???

Take Care!
-Marcus
How's about dueling 63 O-lander front half throwdown. We are so close we can actually keep tabs on one another!

Steve
Old 08-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #888
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
How's about dueling 63 O-lander front half throwdown. We are so close we can actually keep tabs on one another!

Steve
Ha! I don't think that's a fair contest...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #889
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hello everyone, just posted an update to the blog last night, for anyone who's interested you can check the link to Austin Aluminitus below.

I hope everyone is doing well, and I sincerely plan on being around more often now that things have quieted down a bit for me.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #890
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Hello everyone, just posted an update to the blog last night, for anyone who's interested you can check the link to Austin Aluminitus below.

I hope everyone is doing well, and I sincerely plan on being around more often now that things have quieted down a bit for me.
Ha! Things don't ever seem to "quiet down" do they?

If anyone out there is interested, everything is going great for me here in Austin. Kids are now 6 and 8. We go camping as much as we can, at least 4-5 times per year. We'll be headed to the beach at some point this summer, probably Padre Island National Seashore where I've posted pictures previously.

I'm also starting the plan for the front half renovation, which will include replacing at least the first two sheets of subfloor, fabbing an entirely new galley, re-working the refrigerator and pantry, fabbing a new streetside bulkhead divider between galley and bedroom, re-working the galley overhead and fore overhead, and the biggest part-- fabbing and installing an entirely new u-shaped dinette up front, with drop-table to form a large bed for my wife and me to sleep on, giving the kids the twins amidships. Don't worry, I'll still be able to deploy Superbed whenever I need to.

The dinette design I've been thinking of for the past 6 years now, and because I like having the entire front salon open from time to time for various activities like football game tailgate parties, I'm going to make everything up front modular, and easily removable through the front door. I'm imagining flip-over clamps mounted into the subfloor that pin and lock the 1x2 frames into position. It will cut down a little bit on the storage capability I have up there, but right now I don't have ANY, so whatever I do get, will be a bonus.

However, right now I do currently throw the bikes, camping tables, camping chairs, and everything else into that big open salon when traveling, so I'll have to figure out where all that stuff goes. What does everyone else do? My friends with SOBs have large storage with outside access that's typically under their front beds, but I obviously won't have that.

Anyway, hope all is well, and looking forward to catching up around here in the New Year.

-Marcus
Old 02-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #891
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I was wondering at some unknown to me point what had happened to your project. And yes, many things intervene, like life, in any project. Glad to see your doing well and still wondering what to do next. Having one end open will probably mean strengthening the frame significantly. Sounds like quite a project.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #892
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey Marcus, glad to see you thinkin' again! I thought maybe you finished it and just forgot to tell us.

I haven't done a whole lot on mine in about three years. Still don't have the gas hooked up anywhere or cabinet doors built. Too many new grandkids, weddings, and worrrrrrk. You know, that drudgery we have to contend with every day? Arggg.

Keep us up to date. Your creativity is wonderful. Good luck!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #893
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Gene and Jim, great to hear from you.

This place always charges me up and gets me motivated. I spent about a year here before I bought mine, and that fueled me for the ~2 years it took to do the back half reno. Since I probably won't start work until winter of next year, looks like I'll have the next 11 months to get myself inspired.

As always, I plan on blending a lot of wood and metal finishes together. Copper will probably make an entrance into the front somewhere, as will plenty more bare aluminum, and most likely, more mahogany. I love mahogany.

I've still got some cool translucent material that I intended to use as doors for the overheads, just waiting in my garage along with a pile of other parts.

And, since it's now been 5 years, she needs a solid polish as well.

Never enough time, but I'll figure it out. The kids are getting old enough to help, they were rummaging through some of my storage boxes in the garage a few weeks ago and found my rivet gun and bucking bar. They asked what they were, and I said, "Oh, I'd rather SHOW you.

Take care all,
-Marcus
Old 02-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #894
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Look forward to the work.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:04 AM   #895
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Good to hear from you again, Utee! Our double bed lifts up for storage, and we put in another access door in the side of the trailer to access under the bed from outside also. We store chairs under the bed. Bikes are a little more of an issue: straps on the walls for them when traveling? Bungee cords? Tongue of trailer and move the propane?
At least you can camp: we in the frozen north can only gaze at the trailer out the window and wish for spring (and retirement).

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #896
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Is this a CA made model? If so can you tell me your floor width? And if so that can you tell me how you took the messurement? Eg interior wall to interior wall or full size of subfloor.
OklaOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #897
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaOverland View Post
Is this a CA made model? If so can you tell me your floor width? And if so that can you tell me how you took the messurement? Eg interior wall to interior wall or full size of subfloor.
Hi there, just checking back and saw this. No, mine's an Ohio model. If it helps, I'll try to remember to measure for you next time I'm out where it's stored.

Hi everybody!

-Marcus

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander