Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #461
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I'm really on the fence about a Cyclo, gonna try a few things then probably get mad enough to order one. I can wait to see some photos of your trailer...ya still got a bit of a wait?
I've had success with my Porter Cable 9424 random orbital, both for first and final passes. As always, it's a matter of personal preference.

reinergirl-- my wife actually really enjoys the polishing, it provides instant gratification and she loves that about it. tShe enjoyes sanding wood for the same reasons, though only with the power tools, not by hand!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #462
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Being just 2 days after eye surgery, Mrs HiHo won't let me within 20 yards of the polishing setup...so...

1st I made a die to hammer out the wrecked rear beltline trim...

Then I played with my 'cheapo-cyclo'....wrap it with a cloth just like a cyclo and use a little liquid white rouge...no swirls! (and not much mess...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trim die.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	154715   Click image for larger version

Name:	hammered trim.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	154716  

Name:	trim mounted.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	154717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheapo cyclo.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	154718  

Name:	sea mom no swirls.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	154719  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #463
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Central , Mississippi

Dental Pick
Ok, I’ve never posted, twitted or even used facebook. I’m new to all this. The closest I’ve gotten to social networking is playing words with friends (although not on an airplane).
Let me introduce myself, I am Mrs. HiHo and (I understand my hubby has posted here a couple of times) . Guess I could be called a closet Airstreamer as I rarely let others know my enthusiasm for big, bright, shiny things.
As I’m sure some of you are aware we are in the middle of restoring a 1963 Overlander. And up to now, I’ve stayed away and let Mr. HiHo deal with the nasty, big jobs. Spring has sprung here in the South and its time Mrs. HiHo gets down to the knitty gritty – I like the tedious jobs, the stuff that Mr. HiHo hates; like using a toothbrush to clean the crevices of the track for an awning; like stripping 5 layers of paint off a slat window. I started on the back window a few weeks ago and have already logged in about six hours on this blanketey-blank window. Layers and layers of caulk, some of which we have yet to identify (resembles bondo), and a couple of layers of paint (don’t ask). This weekend I’ve stuck pretty close to Mr. HiHo as his eye doctor put some restrictions on him after surgery this past Thursday. So I figured I would knock out the task of finishing this window this weekend. Photos attached. After finally removing the 5 layers of caulk from the window frame I moved on to the seal inside the frame. This seemed a bit of a challenge at first, but tenacity is my middle name. While the Ipod is blasting and I’m singing along to one of Adele’s hits, Mr. HiHo lets me know that he read on the forum that one of the members used a dental pick to remove the old bulb seal. I, being me, totally ignored the comment, and quietly wondered why would anyone need to use a dental pick on this seam. Seems to me if you do it right and go at it slow and meticulously, you wouldn’t need a dental pick. Hours later after I stand back and let Mr. HiHo inspect my work; he politely informs me that the new seal still won’t fit into the window frame. I just staring at him dumbstruck…. “What do you mean it won’t fit?”, I say. It seems some of the old seal didn’t come off and is still embedded in this tiny slot. “Are you kidding me? Do you know how many hours I have logged into this window alone?” He patiently reminds me of the Airforums member who used the dental pick. I really hate eating my words, so I won’t but I will give credit where credit is due. Whoever posted the idea about the dental pick is a genius and a life saver. I get busy on this task and think of all the other ways I can now use this sacrificed dental pick of mine.
More to come.
Mrs. HiHo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	removing seal.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	154786   Click image for larger version

Name:	say ahh.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	154787  

Name:	eewww.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	154788  
Mrs HiHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #464
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Wow what a great first post!. Maybe Mr. Hiho should have downtime more often! Even if it means a little surgery now and then. Nice to meet ya! And you did a great job on that window in the end and that's all that matters, right?. Welcome to the forum!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #465
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs HiHo View Post
... I rarely let others know my enthusiasm for big, bright, shiny things...

More to come.
Mrs. HiHo
This is the one that got her....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2nd pass curb side.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	154790  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #466
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
This is the one that got her....
Stop showing off.
When are you going to start polishing the other side Mr?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #467
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Central , Mississippi
Thank you very much and nice to meet you. He has really enjoyed being a member and I've enjoyed meeting new friends at a few rallys. Look forward to making new friends here as well. About to go check your forum.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #468
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome to the forum Mrs HiHo! Plenty of time to settle in and participate at AIR. There is life post-CSRS or -FERS (name your poison). Worked for me at least.

Did we say welcome? ...and certainly don't be a stranger. Brownie points for trophy-hub Vernon.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #469
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Hi Mrs. HiHo! I'm another Mrs., but the Mr. has never been here. He's probably more stubborn about advise from the forums than you were & won't come introduce himself any time soon! It's funny how the aluminitus rubs off on our spouses & they somehow get sucked into the hobby of AS. I enjoy reading your hubbies posts along with others and may have to get some advise from another female sometime!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #470
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Thanks

Vernon,

Thanks for putting all the effort into documenting your work. As a new member of the Overlander Restoration Class of 2012, I'm sure I'll refer back to it often.

And thanks to Mrs. HiHo for giving you the support to do it.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #471
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Vernon,

Thanks for putting all the effort into documenting your work. As a new member of the Overlander Restoration Class of 2012, I'm sure I'll refer back to it often.

And thanks to Mrs. HiHo for giving you the support to do it.

John

Resto Class of 2012...I'm hoping I graduate in 2012....there is a good chance I'll get held back and have to repeat...

I've enjoyed making the thread altough I do have to admit it does take some effort to document each of the steps.

Keep us "posted" on your Overlander!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #472
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
...When are you going to start polishing the other side Mr?
Yes Ma'am...

About 4 hours to get a good 1st cut from the rail up on 95% of the Street Side...ALMOST finished but darkness set in and I got tired

Ordered the flooring today, Cherry laminate...(yup, a slight change in plans...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	street rail up.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	155163  
Old 04-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #473
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Ordered the flooring today, Cherry laminate...(yup, a slight change in plans...)
What was the original plan? I recently installed sheet Marmoleum and I just love the stuff.
I'm sure whatever you install will look spectacular like everything else.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #474
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV

Yes Ma'am...

About 4 hours to get a good 1st cut from the rail up on 95% of the Street Side...ALMOST finished but darkness set in and I got tired

Good Morning Mr, you must be tired. I'm up and ready to tackle windows again. Coffee is made and you're still cutting zzzz's. By the way, did you tell them why there was a change in plans?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #475
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Good Morning Mr, you must be tired. I'm up and ready to tackle windows again. Coffee is made and you're still cutting zzzz's. By the way, did you tell them why there was a change in plans?
Doh! Caught! Get him moving... we want to see a fully polished trailer!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #476
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Dental Pick
Ok, I’ve never posted, twitted or even used facebook. I’m new to all this. The closest I’ve gotten to social networking is playing words with friends (although not on an airplane).
Let me introduce myself, I am Mrs. HiHo and (I understand my hubby has posted here a couple of times) . Guess I could be called a closet Airstreamer as I rarely let others know my enthusiasm for big, bright, shiny things.
As I’m sure some of you are aware we are in the middle of restoring a 1963 Overlander. And up to now, I’ve stayed away and let Mr. HiHo deal with the nasty, big jobs. Spring has sprung here in the South and its time Mrs. HiHo gets down to the knitty gritty – I like the tedious jobs, the stuff that Mr. HiHo hates; like using a toothbrush to clean the crevices of the track for an awning; like stripping 5 layers of paint off a slat window. I started on the back window a few weeks ago and have already logged in about six hours on this blanketey-blank window. Layers and layers of caulk, some of which we have yet to identify (resembles bondo), and a couple of layers of paint (don’t ask). This weekend I’ve stuck pretty close to Mr. HiHo as his eye doctor put some restrictions on him after surgery this past Thursday. So I figured I would knock out the task of finishing this window this weekend. Photos attached. After finally removing the 5 layers of caulk from the window frame I moved on to the seal inside the frame. This seemed a bit of a challenge at first, but tenacity is my middle name. While the Ipod is blasting and I’m singing along to one of Adele’s hits, Mr. HiHo lets me know that he read on the forum that one of the members used a dental pick to remove the old bulb seal. I, being me, totally ignored the comment, and quietly wondered why would anyone need to use a dental pick on this seam. Seems to me if you do it right and go at it slow and meticulously, you wouldn’t need a dental pick. Hours later after I stand back and let Mr. HiHo inspect my work; he politely informs me that the new seal still won’t fit into the window frame. I just staring at him dumbstruck…. “What do you mean it won’t fit?”, I say. It seems some of the old seal didn’t come off and is still embedded in this tiny slot. “Are you kidding me? Do you know how many hours I have logged into this window alone?” He patiently reminds me of the Airforums member who used the dental pick. I really hate eating my words, so I won’t but I will give credit where credit is due. Whoever posted the idea about the dental pick is a genius and a life saver. I get busy on this task and think of all the other ways I can now use this sacrificed dental pick of mine.
More to come.
Mrs. HiHo
Oh those winpows, what a PITA. So glad to be done with them. Just be careful with that dental pick, dont enlarge the slot or the glazeing strip wont seat properly. I miter cut my plastic glazing strips with a blade that I heated using a small torch. Cut like buttah.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #477
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
What was the original plan? I recently installed sheet Marmoleum and I just love the stuff...
Hey TOP! The original plan was sheet Vinyl or something...then I remembered that EVERY rv I've had, I have replaced the flooring. And every time I have cursed the person who installed walls over the original floor... So, in go the walls, tub and then the laminate floor.

Quote:
Good Morning Mr, you must be tired. I'm up and ready to tackle windows again. Coffee is made and you're still cutting zzzz's...
But I don't wanna go to school...I got an ear ache

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Doh! Caught! Get him moving... we want to see a fully polished trailer!

She did...and no more than I want to see a polished trailer!!!!

I started using my 2nd brown bar this morning. Some where between 6 and 8 hours of polishing today...Starting at the top-rear and I made it to the front axle with a pretty good 1st cut. I guess It's really a second cut since I'm using the brown and not the black bar. 1 more pass at 90 degrees followed by the white rouge should get me close...

I'm flippin' tired...Mrs can post her own results...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brown bar 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	155219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caught n da act.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	155220  

Name:	back half street side.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	155221  
Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #478
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Central , Mississippi
Mrs is tired too Mr. Not only did I get five layers of caulk, goo and mystery snot out of those window slots, I went to Walmart, Lowes, baked a ham, made homemade potato salad, three loads of laundry and had your dinner done by six. Now I'm looking at the forums feeling overwhelmed at how much reading material I need to get caught up on and hoping I'm doing this right. Don't have this thread thing figured out yet. I will say you did a fantastic job on the polishing today. Wish I could get you motivated to get started on the pool. Til morning.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #479
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Did a bit of work on the spare tire holder...it was sized for a 7.00 tire and the newer, wider radials wouldn't fit...I'll post photos when I make some additional progress.

Parked Dolly under the shed and just HAD to post this photo...she is 3' away from the 34'er and the reflection shows lots of tires...

This area has only one good pass with a brown rough on a 1" wide loose cotton wheel...still some clouds
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Parked 5 wheels.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	155303  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #480
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
aluminium window cover

Quote:
Here's some more photos...
Aluminum front window cover...
Molded in bathroom sink...
Gas lighting...
and
A EP Evans Air Conditioner??? (It works!)
Hello Vernon
I've been following your work for a while.I just noticed your front window cover.Do you have any close ups of that thing.Looks really nice.
Keep up the good work.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, overlander, restoration