Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2017, 05:10 AM   #681
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Shelly, you don't have to pull the new fresh water tank.

Just add the water filter before the pump. Easy-ish fix.
Mtmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #682
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Camping is def in the plans! Especially since we will have water, i.e. hot showers soon! Gosh after like 4 years I will have a working stove AND a hot shower!
I'm two years in and am just starting to wire the inside! AND the outside still needs work!

Sigh.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #683
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Not just a curtain!

I have another post started with a bunch of fun details that are getting knocked off while I wait for cabinets to dry and such, but I thought this item was special enough that it deserved its own post.

Who'd u thunk that a shower curtain would evolve into a major project? ME! Raising my hand!! Because I don't do ordinary well..... OBVS. Hello, have you caught onto me yet? Yes, I could have thrown up the old shower curtain track, (I can't believe I actually held onto that grungy piece of plastic this long just in case my idea didn't work! You want it? It's yours for shipping....) and I also could have bought a ready made curtain and cut it down. However, I saw this curtain at Anthropologie a year ago and fell in love with it.
I pinned it ( Pinterest is soooooo evil, it makes me do things....) Here's my version. UGH I wish I had ironed it before I took this pic. Imagine it ironed folks!

Did I make all those tassels by hand? YEP! I used embroidery thread in the same colors as the pendleton blankets (cause matching counts, LOL). The fabric is just a duck type canvas. I added three rows of horizontal pleats so I'd have something sturdy to attach the tassels to and hide all the knots underneath.

The shower curtain rod I bent out of 1/2 inch copper pipe. I made a jig like this that followed the curve of the tub.
The first time I tried to bend the pipe, I filled the it with sand that was a maybe little too coarse and there were some voids (or I got a little too aggressive) and the pipe kinked. DANG!
The second time I filled it with salt (yes, I washed it out really well after) and it worked like a charm. The pipe actually bent pretty easily. I used copper bell hangers to attach it to the wall . Where it attaches to my copper covered wood bulkhead wall I bolted it through with a fender washer on the other side. Attaching to the fiberglass endcap was a little trickier because I was afraid it would pull out. I ended up epoxying a circle of aluminum to the fiberglass, reinforcing it with a few rivets and then screwing the bell copper hanger through that.
I thought I might have to extend a support from the ceiling but with the three hangers it seems secure enough. No monkey bar swinging on it but ...
Rear mount with a 90 degree fitting and a small straight run of pipe
Front mount bolted thru wall. with a 45 degree fitting and another small straight return
I tried E6000 glue for the fittings but it didn't work. I then used some Gorilla Glue clear 5 minute epoxy which did the trick!

The copper hooks were actually fun to make, I built another jig. Drew the basic shape I wanted with a sharpie on a scrap piece of wood, drilled two holes with a forstner bit, added a couple of pieces of a 1/2 inch wood dowel and voila! I bought 8 gauge copper grounding wire from a big box store for the actual hooks. Bolt cutters to cut, and a dremel with a grinding bit to burnish up the ends . Pretty simple and about $5 in materials.

I even figured out if a hang a few hooks backward they can be used as towel hangers! Sweeeet.
I liked this shower curtain so much I made a room divider just like it #totallysickofmakingtassels. It's on a spring curtain rod so we can use it to cordon off the bath area or use it up front when I want to read and my husband wants to sleep. I'm kinda a night owl! Yes, my tub is on the bed, it's a work in progress, deal with it!

In other matters, my kitchen cabinet/counter is coming along nicely. And we've started the fresh water plumbing which is beyond exciting. A couple of fast questions for you all. How do I secure the fresh water tank to the floor? I have VERY limited space.
And where do I put the fresh water campground intake faucet? Point me to your pictures of such. I'm assuming in the back left belly pan area?

Lots more to come soon I promise!
Save
Save
Save
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #684
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
A 1963 Overlander named Moonraker!

Nice looking work. I'm going to use shower curtains also in a new project. My water inlet is next to the WH, lots of pipe already in the area so hookup was easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1492819475.251913.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	576.6 KB
ID:	283853  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #685
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Too dark to take a pic right now, but mine is just like Vernon's -- probably 6-8" lower. I have it just at floor level, with a ball valve mounted just inside, secured to the floor. That valve isolates the city supply from the water tank and is also one of my low point drains for winterizing.

Great work as usual -- can't wait to see it again in person!

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #686
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
We used strapping that is used in plumbing to secure our tank to the floor. It comes in a roll & has holes every 1/2" or so. Looking great!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #687
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Nice looking work. I'm going to use shower curtains also in a new project. My water inlet is next to the WH, lots of pipe already in the area so hookup was easy.
Thanks Vernon and John I don't have anything in that area, the Bowen heater is gone (that whole side was a panel replacement). And the new heater vents under the trailer. As the water inlet would be the only thing in that area, it would stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm thinking of putting it in the belly pan near the grey tank valterra valve .... means l'm going to be crawling under the trailer to attach the hose but I'm putting in one of these and I think it's ugly. Trying to hide it.

Name:	IMG_2439.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	283991
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-621.htm

Any other ideas?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #688
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
We used strapping that is used in plumbing to secure our tank to the floor. It comes in a roll & has holes every 1/2" or so. Looking great!
You mean this stuff?

Name:	IMG_2440.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	283993
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Perforate...-4HS/100396917
I was thinking this wouldn't be heavy duty enough, the water tank would hold about 230 pounds of water ( 28 gallons). Am I overthinking it again?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #689
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I put wooden blocks on all 4 sides so the tank couldn't slide, all the straps have to do is hold it down. Even without straps it would take one heck of a bump to toss 200 lbs up and over the blocks.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #690
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:

Any other ideas?
I don't like crawling underneath the trailer in bad weather. How about this instead?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #691
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
You mean this stuff?
Attachment 283993
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Perforate...-4HS/100396917
I was thinking this wouldn't be heavy duty enough, the water tank would hold about 230 pounds of water ( 28 gallons). Am I overthinking it again?
That's it...! I have filled mine & traveled several times without issue. Mine is a little over 20 gallons if I recall correctly.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #692
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Thanks Vernon and John I don't have anything in that area, the Bowen heater is gone (that whole side was a panel replacement). And the new heater vents under the trailer. As the water inlet would be the only thing in that area, it would stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm thinking of putting it in the belly pan near the grey tank valterra valve .... means l'm going to be crawling under the trailer to attach the hose but I'm putting in one of these and I think it's ugly. Trying to hide it.
Attachment 283991
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-621.htm

Any other ideas?
Hi Shelly,
Those ShurFlo water inlets are weak. I used one and it worked for a while, but it leaks a little when the water pressure is higher than about 65psi. I would use something like 65CV suggested. Just about anything other than that ShurFlo!
Keep up the fine work! Lookin' superb!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #693
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
I realized that I linked to the wrong one. Here is the one I used. I didn't like the idea of any moving parts on the trailer, so I put the male on the trailer. That way, if there is a leak in the moving cap for the female end, I don't need to replace the whole fitting -- I've done enough drilling, riveting, shaving, sealing!

I cut the male end off my hose and bought a good quality female hose repair kit and made a female-female hose that I use to hook up. If there are any leaks, they are on the hose, not the trailer.

BTW, this fitting is a lot cheaper.

Let me know if you find a stainless cap that really camouflages the fitting. Somehow I know you'll find it before deciding to go this way.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #694
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I have another post started with a bunch of fun details that are getting knocked off while I wait for cabinets to dry and such, but I thought this item was special enough that it deserved its own post.

Who'd u thunk that a shower curtain would evolve into a major project? ME! Raising my hand!! Because I don't do ordinary well..... OBVS. Hello, have you caught onto me yet? Yes, I could have thrown up the old shower curtain track, (I can't believe I actually held onto that grungy piece of plastic this long just in case my idea didn't work! You want it? It's yours for shipping....) and I also could have bought a ready made curtain and cut it down. However, I saw this curtain at Anthropologie a year ago and fell in love with it.
I pinned it ( Pinterest is soooooo evil, it makes me do things....) Here's my version. UGH I wish I had ironed it before I took this pic. Imagine it ironed folks!

Did I make all those tassels by hand? YEP! I used embroidery thread in the same colors as the pendleton blankets (cause matching counts, LOL). The fabric is just a duck type canvas. I added three rows of horizontal pleats so I'd have something sturdy to attach the tassels to and hide all the knots underneath.

The shower curtain rod I bent out of 1/2 inch copper pipe. I made a jig like this that followed the curve of the tub.
The first time I tried to bend the pipe, I filled the it with sand that was a maybe little too coarse and there were some voids (or I got a little too aggressive) and the pipe kinked. DANG!
The second time I filled it with salt (yes, I washed it out really well after) and it worked like a charm. The pipe actually bent pretty easily. I used copper bell hangers to attach it to the wall . Where it attaches to my copper covered wood bulkhead wall I bolted it through with a fender washer on the other side. Attaching to the fiberglass endcap was a little trickier because I was afraid it would pull out. I ended up epoxying a circle of aluminum to the fiberglass, reinforcing it with a few rivets and then screwing the bell copper hanger through that.
I thought I might have to extend a support from the ceiling but with the three hangers it seems secure enough. No monkey bar swinging on it but ...
Rear mount with a 90 degree fitting and a small straight run of pipe
Front mount bolted thru wall. with a 45 degree fitting and another small straight return
I tried E6000 glue for the fittings but it didn't work. I then used some Gorilla Glue clear 5 minute epoxy which did the trick!

The copper hooks were actually fun to make, I built another jig. Drew the basic shape I wanted with a sharpie on a scrap piece of wood, drilled two holes with a forstner bit, added a couple of pieces of a 1/2 inch wood dowel and voila! I bought 8 gauge copper grounding wire from a big box store for the actual hooks. Bolt cutters to cut, and a dremel with a grinding bit to burnish up the ends . Pretty simple and about $5 in materials.

I even figured out if a hang a few hooks backward they can be used as towel hangers! Sweeeet.
I liked this shower curtain so much I made a room divider just like it #totallysickofmakingtassels. It's on a spring curtain rod so we can use it to cordon off the bath area or use it up front when I want to read and my husband wants to sleep. I'm kinda a night owl! Yes, my tub is on the bed, it's a work in progress, deal with it!

In other matters, my kitchen cabinet/counter is coming along nicely. And we've started the fresh water plumbing which is beyond exciting. A couple of fast questions for you all. How do I secure the fresh water tank to the floor? I have VERY limited space.
And where do I put the fresh water campground intake faucet? Point me to your pictures of such. I'm assuming in the back left belly pan area?

Lots more to come soon I promise!
Save
Save
Save
Love the shower curtain rod idea, I still haven't really addressed that in mine.

My 63 has a hinged aluminum door on the street side under the galley window where there's a panel that has both the pressurized campground water hookup, as well as the external tank fill port. I guess I assumed this was the norm but perhaps it's aftermarket? Anyway, it works well for me, and no sliding around on the ground.

And my freshwater tank is just held by blocks at each corner, no straps or anything to hold it down. It's never been an issue and believe me, with my horribly frozen axles and extremely rough ride, I would have discovered by now if it were an issue.

Anyway, progress looks great, keep it up!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #695
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Had to say goodbye last night to this sweetheart and fellow airstreamer.

RIP Maggie, you've left a huge hole in our hearts.

Name:	IMG_2482.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	288264

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	288265
Old 06-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #696
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Had to say goodbye last night to this sweetheart and fellow airstreamer.

RIP Maggie, you've left a huge hole in our hearts.

Attachment 288264

Attachment 288265

Oh I'm sorry for your loss. Maggie looks like the sweetest of traveling buddies.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #697
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Condolences to you and your family [emoji22]
Sum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #698
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
So sorry. One of the worst things in my opinion.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:02 PM   #699
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Two losses in the past year here. I know how you feel. Sympathy...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:52 AM   #700
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Godspeed

So, so sorry for your and your family's loss.
Mtmanor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander