Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #561
1 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
WESTPORT , Massachusetts
Great job! We are starting the insulation and electrical on our 59 overlander that we have done body off.
T-CASWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #562
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Thanks for all the suggestions! You guys are the best . Need to finish this up pronto! Brrrrr it's getting cold out there....
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #563
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Okay, the solar pre-wire is in, we unjacketed the 6 AWG wire and put it in two separate holes, running it from the refrigerator vent to the front end cap and down.

The air conditioner drain will be a pex line with sharkbite connectors to make the turns, no it isn't done yet, stop snickering. The holidays were busy and I have the supplies, I just kinda lost them. I refuse to buy those super expensive sharkbite connectors again, so until they surface that project is stalled. Its currently -7 degrees outside, with a windchill of close to -25 degrees. Its difficult to even think about air conditioning!

In the meantime I thought I'd catch up on other things:

The two LED wedding cake lights in the back had grounds that I pop riveted to the ribs. I've re-thought that (like nearly every other project I've done so far!) . They are buried in the walls , never to be seen again, so I've reattached them with stainless #8 panhead screws with lock nuts. I even hit them with a bit of Locktite and I'm fairly certainly they won't budge for the next millennium. If they do the ground wires are long enough to pull to the outside of the shell and figure out some sort of outside screw.

My insulation is complete, but there will be a few adjustments as I put panels in. the insulation was far more time consuming than I thought, especially when you have a helper (not!) like this!

I have covered all the ribs with 1/32 inch foam tape. This has already made a huge difference. I can touch the ribs where the tape is and it's not cold, the rest of the rib is freezing. I've also noticed when the snow starts to melt, usually where the ribs melts first, leaving this telltale crosshatching, that no longer happens! Is it going to mean a warmer trailer? Who knows... but it was easy and inexpensive. Plus it's a doublesided tape so I can not only rivet my interior panels in but they will be secured by the tape too!

This is the stuff I used. Scapa SR532V Double Coated 1/32" Foam Tape at FindTape.com. In case the link doesn't work for you, it is Scapa SR532V Double coated 1/32" x3/4"x 72 yards in white. It sells for $16.75 per roll. That's less than 34 dollars to insulate all the ribs!
A shout out to Capn Tom on Airforums, whom I got the idea from and who kindly sent me his excess tape! It took two rolls to do the Overlander. The only issue I had with using it was that it makes it really hard to find the rivet holes. After applying the tape, I used a bamboo skewer to punch them all out and then marked the holes with a black sharpie so i could match up the holes to the endcap/interior panels holes easier.

Which leads me to THE BIG NEWS..... which is the endcaps are in! I was really dreading them due to the experience of helping my sister put theirs in . Story found here, as I remember, it took 5 hours to get one end cap in. But I didn't have the same problems with ours, maybe because I had stripped all the paint off and the fiberglass endcap was surprisingly flexible? The back one went in in literally 15 minutes and I honestly think I could have done it alone!! The front one took a little longer but not much!

But I've jumped ahead in my ADD sort of way. There was alot of work in prepping the endcaps. I've posted previously about how I cut out the shelf in the front endcap. But I also had to do some cutting out and re-fiberglassing of the rear end cap There was this odd shelf protrusion that the light came off of that interfered with the clean curves of the end cap.

This is the piece I cut out of the back end cap.
I used a drill to drill holes in then four corners, then a jigsaw to cut the area out.
I put a piece of heavy plastic (so the West System wouldn't stick) then a piece of prodex taped in place behind it. I braced the whole area from behind with a piece of 4 inch thick foam and a 2x4 to get as close to the contour of the original shell as I could.

I then patched it with two layers of fiberglass and the West System fast cure a couple of hours apart. . I then washed it down with water and sanded it to remove the amine blush. I added another layer of epoxy mixed with the microlite filler beads when the fiberglass had finished curing.

The completed patch... after lots of sanding. I can't believe I was doing this in my house the week before Christmas!.... but it was too cold outside for the expoxy to properly cure.

In place!

I doubt once its painted anyone would know that this is a patch. I keep waffling about the finish of this rear end cap. Originally I wanted to do it in copper, but it turns out that that would be about $4,000 in materials alone. Reality check! LOL

The truth is that I have this special talent for falling in love with expensive things, a gift for it really! If you ever need someone to come with you to a store to choose the most expensive item, without looking at price tags, I'm your girl! Strangely enough, I have yet to find a use for this hidden gem of a talent....I did however pass the talent along to my daughter.

Any hoo, I'll come up with some way to mimic copper, or I'll woodie it like I'm going to do in the front.

Also, for those who are wondering, this is how much Prodex I have left of two rolls after completing two full layers , I also cut 1 layer of insulation for all the windows to use in extreme cold boondocking that just will pressure fit into all the windows.

I also chose to insulate directly to the back of the end caps. There was already a layer of foam strips followed by Prodex, followed by more foam board strips on the shell itself..... so this makes two full layers of Prodex with foam strips to hold the insulation away from the shell and between the layers.

That's all for now, the plan is to try and get the interior skins in this winter/spring....we"ll see how that goes! Stay warm people!
Old 01-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #564
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A 1963 Overlander named Moonraker!

As to A/C drain. My next unit, the new low profile Mach 8, has a condensate pump. I plan to run a line back down the roof a short distance to the black tank vent. True that the relative square lines of my TT aid in hiding this, but anyone painting their roof to reduce solar heat load has made the same sort of decision as to appearances.

As to window coverings and under non-slat mattress frames I prefer Reflectix. Are you going to build poly or lexan interior storm windows? The press fit insulation has its limits compared to gasketed solid types. Not to mention being able to enjoy the view. I love the jalousie windows except in extremes.

I figure I may have a combination of the two insulating types as I've worked out which windows to leave uncovered for light. The roof vents are another question (which ones of three I may wish to have with double glazed units and which to be fully covered otherwise with fans ).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #565
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Whoa! I never even considered building storm windows out of lexan, what a great idea! What did you use as the framing material?

That reminds me, I need to build some screen windows this winter, black fly season around here is NASTY!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:08 PM   #566
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Great work, Shelly! Always nice to see what you've been up to.
Happy New Year!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #567
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Whoa! I never even considered building storm windows out of lexan, what a great idea! What did you use as the framing material?

That reminds me, I need to build some screen windows this winter, black fly season around here is NASTY!

In truth I haven't built them. But there are several good threads on Woodalls. Silver Streak and Streamline both offered them as options.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #568
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Great work, Shelly! Always nice to see what you've been up to.
Happy New Year!
Wish I had more progress to report! But this was always the five year plan

Happy New Year to you too! I'm really hoping to make some major progress this year! Want to attend the Texas Vintage Rally lol.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #569
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ours was a 6 year plan. Got her functional in 4 years but at 7 years now, we STILL have one cabinet to build..... plus a few finishing touches on the inside. At least she's mostly done!
I like what you've done so far. Looking forward to the end result.
Someday, on our way to Navy Boy's house in Saratoga Springs NY, we'll try to pop through and see you.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #570
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
No matter how long it takes, it is so worth it.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #571
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Good to see the progress...inspirational as always!

Kathy
KCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #572
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Nice to see some progress, Shelly! The prodex keeps the trailer nice & toasty....just used mine in some 20 degree weather & a tiny electric heater kept her nice & warm!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #573
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Got Rust?

Well, its no news to anyone that the Northeast is currently having yet another winter storm. This is the third major storm in two weeks including one official blizzard. To add insult to injury, the groundhog not only saw his shadow but emerged in the middle of a snowstorm!

So what's a person to do?

Snowshoeing works! At least it does if you don't have a eager Border Collie that's stepping all over the back of your shoeshoes!

There's a car under here somewhere....I think.

Moonraker has seen more than its fair share of snow and because the skins aren't in yet (just the endcaps), we are continuing to remove snow from the roof. It's gotten pretty old , in fact the snow is so deep, just to get out to Moonraker is a major challenge. The snow is mid thigh and that was before the two feet we got yesterday and today!

As New Englanders are fond of saying.... ya can't get they-ahh from hee-yahhhh.

There's a bumper under here somewhere....I think.

Enough about snow! The topic for today is rust!
I picked up a couple of fixtures on Ebay recently and they were covered with a good coating of rust.

I soaked them in a couple of quarts of water with a few tablespoons of Oxalic Acid,. And they came out beautifully. This isn't really a well known trick, so I thought I'd show you the results here.

First, this is Oxalic Acid, commonly known as wood bleach. It can be found at any decent hardware store (including the big box ones). I have always used the powdered stuff, but I guess it comes in liquid too.

I added a couple of tablespoons to a plastic bin of water and soaked the parts for a couple of hours. This isn't an exact science and some people leave really cruddy parts in overnight, I didn't need to do that as this surface rust dissolved pretty fast.

Before....

And After....

How many of you just tilted your head sideways! LOL Sorry about the orientation change!

Okay, if I'm being really honest, if you put your nose right up to it you can still see the remnants of the corrosion/pitting.

But from a foot away they look great! A little polish with some Wizards, and a coat of Jubilee wax and they are SHINY!

So go dig out that rusty stove top and clean it up! I'm off to play in the snow with my buddy Finn!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #574
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Now that's one handy hint! I hope my brain holds on to it for when I need it!! The results are fabulous!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #575
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Thank you! Thank you!
I have a rusty stove lid I have been trying to figure out what to do with. I'm going to try this this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #576
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Great post. That's an unreal amount of snow you have to deal with,I assume that you must really appreciate spring summer and fall. Thanks for the handy info on the wood bleach and great pictures of your helper.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #577
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Just a FYI, we flew over the last storm you had with our Gulfstream V equipped with a new cloud radar that reveled the storms intensity as it approached the New England area

https://www.eol.ucar.edu/field_projects/noreaster
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #578
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Oxalic acid for us old sailboat types is teak cleaner.

Lookin' great Shell!

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #579
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Just a FYI, we flew over the last storm you had with our Gulfstream V equipped with a new cloud radar that reveled the storms intensity as it approached the New England area

https://www.eol.ucar.edu/field_projects/noreaster

Pretty cool pictures !

I "reveled" during that storm too! Except now my stores of wine and chocolate are depleted. Must restock

Yes I know it was a typo
Old 02-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #580
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Digging out!

Yesterday I needed to dig out Moonraker, as we are in the midst of yet another snowstorm with over a foot expected. Next year this trailer is either headed for warmer climates or it's going under cover!

Another foot and it would be over the windows!

At least after digging it out, the snowbanks are tall enough that snow shouldn't drift into the Airstream. That's called looking at the bright side LOL...

This was pretty, until I realized that these ice crystals were INSIDE my trailer!!

It was a gorgeous day, but bitter cold, How cold? Cold enough that whenever I touched the trailer, my gloves kept sticking to it! Brrrrrrr

All done for now! Good thing I opted for the manual jack and the higher angle on the axles!

It's snowing right now with blizzard conditions tonight and Thundersnow expected! Yeah, cause we weren't having enough weird weather lately...... Jeezum crow.

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander