Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #621
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Those look AMAZING! Great job!
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #622
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
They look great, Shelly! I especially love the rounded corners. My pool table is also my work table first, and buffet for family parties second. I can't remember the last time we played pool on it, but I love it for projects!! Keep up the great work :-)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #623
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wow! Those look really REALLY great!
Yeah, Rockler, Woodcraft, Sears (Chris likes their tools) - they all get their fair share of our money. Clamps are always high on the list.
We went to The Original Mattress Factory to get a custom mattress, but there are many places that are probably cheaper, depending on what type you want. Ours is a Temperpedic style and very heavy - gives us a workout to lift the bed to access the storage.
I really like what you are doing. Almost makes me want to do ours again (did I really SAY that??!!??) So many kool ideas out there!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #624
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
That is some fine woodwork, and a clearly thought out project.
I too love the rounded corners. That shellac sure does give a nice warm color.
Would it be better to get the plugs in before doing the finish work?

Comfortable looking shop you have there. :-)

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #625
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Those beds look fantastic, Shelly. Great job!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #626
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Thanks for all the compliments! I'm working on the two back closets now. Had a really hard time getting the 1/4 inch baltic birch to fit in the wall bulkhead molding. Tweaking the molding helped but not enough. There are five layers of plywood in the 1/4 inch BB so I ended up routing one layer off to the depth of the molding. I'll have a full write up later but in the meantime ...

I have a question about a water tank and the spin fittings. The one that is closest to my original layout is this one .
Airstream Above Floor Fresh Water Tank (1960's)

The water inlet comes from the side of the trailer. Just in front of the twin bed. It looks like this on the inside. I can't remove that elbow fitting so I need to work with it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050365.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	256002

The water inlet face will attach to the diagonal surface, the air vent to the square cutout on top (which will go to a pipe inside the wall) and the outlet to the water pump will be down low on the front corner directly below the diagonal surface. Following me?

Well then I found this tank at Silvertrailersupply.com.

Airstream fresh water holding tank

Same exact thing, same price even, but I wouldn't need to spin weld fittings on. But look where the air vent is? Does this make sense to anyone ? I would think the Air vent would be high not low?

Are premolded inlets better/sturdier than spin welded ones? The one at Silver Trailer supply is 30% off til the end of January.

Was planning on picking up the Sureflow 4008 Revolution water pump.... If you have one and like or dislike it, I'd like to hear about it! It specifies 1/2 inch ID hoses.....so I would assume my spin welded outlet would have the same ID? or would the spin welded outlet have an OD of 1/2 inch? Sorry, never worked with Spin welding and I'm clueless.

By the way, Silver trailer is 30% everything in stock thru end of January!!!!!

reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #627
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
But look where the air vent is? Does this make sense to anyone ? I would think the Air vent would be high not low?
Vent must be up high. The filler can also serve as a vent,

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #628
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Thanks Lance! Thought I was having a blond moment! I'll call VTS and get it sorted out!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:42 AM   #629
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
If you turn that tank 90 degrees, use the vent as the pump and the pump as the vent, it is correct then. The photo is just labeled wrong.
You will also find this tank in the Pellard Enterprise catalog. No price will be listed there, but you can get it from where both suppliers you mentioned will be getting it for you.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #630
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Thanks Frank! See it was a blond moment
Old 01-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #631
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Hey Shelly
How will you keep your mattresses from sliding off that beautiful woodwork? Velcro like some of the 70's trailers?
Just wondering!
Keep up the great work and entertaining posts.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #632
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Hi Mike!

I like slip sliding away:

Seriously, the twin beds will have bulkhead closets at the top and foot of the bed so the only way they'll slide is sideways into the aisle and I don't think that's likely. If it proves to be an issue I'll put that really thin rubber matting (like you use under needlepoint rugs ) under the beds.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #633
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Glad to hear you have it figured it out.
I sure love your work!
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #634
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
In over 10,000 miles of travel, our beds have never slid off.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:07 AM   #635
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I haven't traveled 10,000 miles, but I've made up for it by doing 3,000 or so with frozen axles that make for a very bumpy ride! The beds don't move. You could always just use that slightly grippy shelf lining if you wanted.

And was going to make Frank's statement but he beat me to it.

Can't wait to see your closets, Shelly, your woodwork looks fantastic. Keep it up!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #636
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Here be dragons.....

Well it's been winter in New England, so I thought it was time to work on some projects that could be accomplished inside!

Drapes!

And that's where the "here be dragons" reference comes in! These drapes kicked my sorry self back to high school! Let me preface this by saying I consider myself an accomplished seamstress. I've made wedding dresses, prom dresses, I've made dresses where my daughter has handed me a picture of an actress wearing a dress and asked me to copy it. I can smock, embroider.. you name it, sewing doesn't scare me, I've even done a houseful of drapes. ..... BUT I've never done a pleated drape, and trust me.... There be dragons.

My criteria for choosing a style of drape was as follows;
Pleats not gathers,
I wanted a clean, stream-lined look
Modern, not old fashioned (that ruled out your typical single and triple pleated drapes)
NO rings, as minimal a curtain rod as I could find.
And absolutely NO curtain tracks which I find truly hideous.

What I settled on was an inverse pleat like this:

I think I googled every curtain rod on the planet, I wanted to use a low profile wire system but very few of these exist, and they get lousy reviews about the ability to hold a heavy curtain without sagging.

After testing several alternatives I settled on these.
They are made to handle artwork (ie heavy duty) and while typically used vertically, I didn't see any reason why they wouldn't work horizontally. Plus they had a tensioner built in so my drapes would be sag free.Cause sag free is important ya know!

I'm not going into the minutiae of my thought process( you really don't want to get into my mind like that, trust me !) but in order to get these drapes to work I had to figure out how to hang them without using curtain rings. In a typical pleat, the fabric is in front of the rod, in inverse pleats it's behind, so to make the drapes stay close to the wall I installed metal grommets in each pleat.

I used grommets with 1/2 inch holes on top, 1/4 inch holes on the bottom. The top ones needed to be larger in order to slip over the tensioner so the curtain can be pushed all the way to the sides.

I'd like to say at this point that I will forever associate these drapes with the 2016 presidential debates..... Also any mistakes I made are wholly attributed to me yelling at the TV when I should have been paying better attention to what I was doing!!

How the heck did I get this far without showing you the fabric!
Here it is.... It's Richloom Rave indoor/outdoor fabric in cherry. It's a nice weight with a linen like weave.
https://www.fabric.com/buy/un-817/ri...or-rave-cherry

I ordered 15 yards and used every bit of it! This fabric that was already pre-lined, but not light blocking, so I added blackout lining.

Here's one big drape that I was starting to mark the pleats on.
After pleating and installing grommets!
There's a lot of math that goes into doing pleated drapes! I didn't have any trouble actually sewing them, but figuring out how many pleats would fit on each window and adjusting a few of the pleat depths to make them all the windows look the same was extremely tedious. There's ten pages of this!

Here's a picture of the curtain grommets on the wire curtain rod.

And here's some pictures of completed drapes.

One of the nice things about this style of drape is that it stacks back really compactly for maximum window area.
On the bottom I used clear elastic cord that attaches to command hooks on either end. This snugs the curtain up to the walls and when the curtains are open you can barely see the cord. Actually, you can barely see it in this picture too!

For the snaps at all four corners, I found snaps that look like bullet casings!
I also sewed some of those tiny magnets into the inner edges of the curtains, so when I close them they stay closed!
I was able to sandwich the magnets between the inner lining and the blackout.
I even did a snap on cover for the skylight!

The last step was to "train" the drapes with strips of paper. I stacked them all to one side to do this but the drapes actually open in the middle, and stack back on both sides.

I also made these duffel bags that get hung under the bed from safety cup hooks. The idea is to be able to pack them in the house and just bring out to Moonraker and clip them in. LOTS of storage space, and they'll double as laundry bags. They actually were kinda fun to do after the drapes! They are lined in vinyl and the bottom is vinyl too. Aqua of course!

Work will resume shortly on cabinets! We've decided to put our house on the market in a couple a weeks (time to downsize), so I've been busy to get the house ready to go. We've got lots of camping trips planned for this summe,r so I need to get back to work on them!

Oh, and we ordered two leather recliners for the front of Moonraker . We may not have running water or a stove, but between the beds and the recliners' we will be comfy!!
Old 04-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #637
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Reinergirl, very well done and good write up with photos.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:25 AM   #638
1 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
WESTPORT , Massachusetts
WOW!
Great job as always.

Tim
T-CASWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #639
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Those look FABULOUS! I've never tried those types of pleats (and I think I won't). You did a wonderful job on them. I really like the bins too. ( Now where could I put those...)

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #640
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Curtains

Where do you find this stuff? The curtains turned out amazing and I love the cable hardware. Nice job...again.
Mtmanor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander