Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #41
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Hey Shelly....nice to see that you're using a great shop & person for your remodel! I got my axles from Colin, and was very happy with his sevice and advice. Unlike another National Dealer, who still has $570 of my money, and who has refused to return my money for a full 30 days, plus he refused to take my phone call...

Sorry to hear of your troubles. IMHO you should have had your money back ASAP but there's no accounting for how people chose to treat their customers. I really try to support the ones that have excellent customer service (LLBean is a fav) as it is a rare occurrence these days.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I bet it's going to look great after Colin finishes it! Not to make you doubt anything... but did you read about the troubles that Tim of TheVap fame had with his RV500? He actually is replacing it with a conventional water heater.... may save you some money if you go with conventional. (see thevap.com and search for his blog).

Ooops... on edit.. I'm not sure if his is the same as the RV500 or not.. but you can decide..
http://thevap.com/blog/?p=913
I love reading about your trailer!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #43
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Actually Tim used a Twintemp I believe. Same company but that's the one that is a heater and hot water. The RV500 is just a tankless water heater.

I did read of the troubles but based on others success with the rv500 (especially the AF Lew Farber) I think that I'm making a good choice.

Anyone else out there having problems (or not) with the RV500 PLEASE chime in!!! I'm in the planning stage and can easily change my mind.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #44
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
This was a long time coming....

A year ago I was buying my Overlander! Happy Anniversary Moonraker! Now I'd be happier if I had a little more to show for it but... it is what it is. There has been no progress, it's a little like watching grass grow. Scratch that, it's A LOT like watching grass grow! She still languishes in Colin's parking lot. Every once and a while my BIL takes pity on me and if he's driving by will send me a picture of her. So sad. Pity party over.

In an effort to console myself, I started work on my nameplates, something I've been promising to work on since, well.... forever.

I had already stripped most of the paint off the nameplates,but even Citristrip couldn't budge some of it.

Out came the dremel with a wire brush. WEAR GLOVES!!!!! Little pieces of the wire brush come flying off and embed them selves under your skin (Ask me how I know!) Ouch Ouch.

I was careful to keep it off the actual letters because I didn't want to spend a lifetime polishing them!

Before
and after. You'll notice I have started to polish the letters up here, but that required rounding up the usual suspects.

The suspects!!!!!!!

I grabbed every metal polish in the house to do a little comparison test. The top one is called Top Brite. The one on the left has recently become a star on Youtube as the polish of choice for Rob Baker (of The Vap fame - see The Vintage Airstream Podcast | Vintage Trailer Resotration)
Polishing is dirty work! I got out my trusty dremel and chucked in a felt tip. The truck box polish is a liquid and has a little grit in it, the other three are a pink creamy consistency. I used Windex and paper towels to clean up the black crud. Worked well enough. I was going to try to catch the differences in each polish but it was like trying to take pictures of a Yeti. Just didn't show up on film!

I must concur with Rob though, the truck box polish worked the best. It was however, also the messiest, the dremel flung spots of it in wild abandon all over me, the table, the floor... Note to self, this is a good time to wear black!

Here's the felt tip I used, I also tried a felt wheel but it kept coming off the mount, I didn't like it as much as this one It's model number 422 It's as elusive as snow in NH this winter .... sorry, not found in the usual box stores. I am lucky to have a local hardware store that is superb, this is one of those stores that if THEY don't have it, YOU don't need it. And
**** Gasp**** the employees are so knowledgeable that I often play "What the $%^& is this part??" with them and they rarely disappoint! Pure candy for someone like me. They greet me with "Watcha got today?" I'm quite sure I've been the hot topic in the break room more than once! LOL I 'm wandering off the subject again huh?

Next up, I used automotive green tape to mask off the letters and a sharp razor blade to trim. I like this green tape way more than the usual blue painting tape. IMHO it makes a much cleaner edge. I used a plastic orange razor blades to "score the edges" before using the exacto blade. I picked some of the plastic razor blades on Amazon after a forum member recommended them and find my self constantly reaching for them. A belated thanks to DKB SATX!

Notice what letter I am avoiding????? Straight lines are easy with a razor blade, curves, not so much.

A new group of suspects! Time to pick paint. From right to left

Sail Blue
Brillant blue
Royal blue
Indigo
Navy

Why so many? Well, my serial number plate (which is next up) actually incorporates 2 different blues a bright and a dark, so I wanted to make sure I had enough contrast. For these nameplates, I just had to make a decision between the first three. I liked the sail blue but felt it was a little bright, ultimately I opted for the one in the middle, the royal blue.

First I primed with bare metal primer followed by two coats of Royal Blue. To get the smoothest coat you lay on a thin coat followed by a flood coat. I won't say I'm the queen of spray painting but there is a permanent divot in my right forefinger!

I waited a couple hours and stripped the green tape off and Voila!

*cue copious sobbing* I LOATHED it!

The blue was too dark, the spray paint had an orange peel texture that was blech and in certain areas the gray primer showed on the edges of the letters. I know it looks okay in the picture. I should have taken a close up, but quite frankly, I was having a hissy fit thinking of re-taping all those letters! I got back on the Airforums because I could have sworn I read that Royal Blue was the closest to the factory color and ... double darn.... nope it was FORD blue.

Okay...... Okay, I can do this. Waaaahhhhhh

Citristrip to the rescue.

I think I've been here before, no REALLY , pretty sure.

To make a long story short I redid everything using Duplicolor Ford Blue. Actually the paint was FAR superior. I used the Duplicolor clear etching primer first and then three coats of color, two thin and one flood coat. It went on much smoother and thinner than the Rustoleum. Phew.

The skies opened up, the angels sang and my life was right again.

For a comparison the one on top is Rustoleum Royal Blue and Ford Blue is on the bottom.

Next up - the serial number plate. It's going to pose some additional problems with the two tone blue finish so all this practice might be a good thing! At least that's what I'm going to tell myself.

My goodness - if I write this long of a post about 2 little nameplates what's going to happen when I get to the really hard stuff!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
The name plate looks great. I go for small successes too!!
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
That is impressive. Now I'm feeling like a wimp for just buying new ones.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #47
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Very impressive for sure. Nice, nice work Shelly!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:41 AM   #48
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Very nice work. There is a very big difference between the reproductions and the originals. So, just out of curiosity, how many hours would you estimate those plates took you? I know you took a do over, take that learning step out, how much time was involved? I am always amazed how little projects like this can add up.
Just my opinion, the Royal Blue is a nicer blue than Ford Blue. I too have tried both side by side. I think the Ford Blue is just a little too bright.
Many 1963 and later name plates were a different blue that was much darker. I am not sure which blue that one was.

Maybe FTW could just ship all the old name plates up to you for refurbishment
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Impressive work! I have to say I am less than impressed with the nameplates I got from Vintage Trailer supply. They have been on my trailer exposed to the elements for about a year and they are extremely mottled. I need to contact Vintage Trailer Supply to see if anyone else has had problems with them. See photos below. I do think the Ford blue is a closer match! Great job!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020427.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	151771   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020429.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	151772  

Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #50
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Thanks 10smiles, Hiho, and Top! I'm grateful to make some progress, ANY progress!

Frank, I like to take my time, but actual work time was about 2 hours per plate. Not counting the time I had to wait between paint removal coats (overnight - twice ) and respray times. And now I have to wait another 7 days before I clear coat. And then I have to figure out how to do the gold colored frames.... Time consuming for sure, maybe a different polish would work faster....

Ford blue also comes in a Ford blue dark (at least in duplicolor it does!) which I am intending to use on my two-tone serial number plate. Maybe that was what they used on the later ones

Sure ship the plates up here, I'll have them done, say Spring 2014???

Sis, wow I think that's gotten worse! Is that rust?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #51
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Today I started the serial number plate. I used the same green tape on the larger letters. I coated the smaller ones and the man on the bicycle with Vaseline with a very small paintbrush. I used a tiny eyeglass screwdriver to scrape off the paint when it was dry. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Now I have to wait a few days for it to cure before I add "International Overlander Landyacht". The close up shows the precision you can get with the automotive green tape!

Name:	name 002.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	151935

Name:	name 028.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	151936
Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Your Nameplates look great!

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #53
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Thanks Tinman, I'm envious of your 54 cruiser which is looking awesome
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Those look excellent. Good idea to take advantage of the down time while you wait for the bigger projects, to work on these detail items.
Norm
Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Wow very good work. How do you do the international part? Looks great so far!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #56

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
You did an awesome job! I used Vaseline to protect the chrome when I re did my 66 mustang AC and it worked like a charm. Very good work on your nameplates, they look like new!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Very sharp work! I have some nameplates I should clean up, among other things on the vintage ownership list....

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #58
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
The last step of the process is to add the words "International Land Yacht" in a darker blue. I've been terrified to do this because if I mess up I will have to do this plate over and that is not an option. I'd rather sell the trailer (just kidding).

This is how the serial plate originally looked. It differs from the reproductions at VTS in that the "International Land Yacht" are not silver.

First I took a photocopy of the plate so I'd have a visual record.

Then because none of the fonts in Microsoft word even came close, I searched Identifont.com until I found one that was very similar. The spacing and shape wasn't correct so I copied it into Paint shop and stretched and shrank it like a gumby until it matched the original!

I compared them by taping the original photocopy of the plate on my very fancy lightbox (the window !) Please don't ask me the name of the lettering because I have a short term memory problem ... I blame the diet coke!

I scanned the image into our printer.

I really wanted to keep using the green automotive tape (I gotta buy stock in that company!), so I taped a couple of pieces onto a transparency (so I could remove it easily) and printed the font directly on the tape.

Yeah I made that sound easy didn't I... well the secrets out, my trash can is full of botched copies! I'm just lucky the green tape didn't ball up and clog the printer. I would have had a hard time explaining that given that the printer is brand new!

Here they are attached to the plate. And my handy dandy razor
blade got a brand new blade!

See which letters I'm avoiding again!

All taped up and ready for painting...I'm hyperventilating already!!!! One shot at this.....

I used the Duplicolor Dark Ford Blue. I really like this paint, it goes on smooth. Makes Rustolem a bad name.

Well, Serendipity is my stripper name (no mom, not really LOL) and VOILA!!!!!!
Success!! The process itself was a success anyway, the lettering is a little darker than I expected, but acceptable. They've photographed darker than they are in person. A few coats of clearcoat and I can check this off my list!

I showed it proudly to my husband and he said "So what's different?" Sigh...... is there a secret virus that I can infect him with so he comes down with a severe case of aluminitus?????
Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Great work

Shelly,

Great work! Thanks for documenting it so well. That level of detail seems years away right now.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #60
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Shelly,

Great work! Thanks for documenting it so well. That level of detail seems years away right now.

John
Thanks John!

That's because it is! Seriously I have to do something while I'm waiting for Colin.... And its better than buying another trailer!

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander