Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #181
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I bought these today at my local Target!! Yay for trailer progress...if you say it counts, so do I.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #182
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Very Busy Last Week. My brother drove 18 hours to help me on my trailer, and we've worked 8 12 hour days to get it ready to travel.

Had a big do-over, which was a big problem. The axle mounting plates we attached to the outside of the frame were 1/4 inch steel, the c-channel the frame is made of is like at least 3/8 inch (very thick) and the plate used by Airstream to box in the frame rail in the axle area was maaaaaybe 1/4 inch. I chose to use Grade-8 bolts to attach the plate to the frame, rather than welding. Unfortunately, when I got around to using an impact wrench to tighten the bolts, the plate used by Airstream to box the rail channel couldn't support the stress of the bolts and simply started to buckle inward around the nut, which just kept tightening...not good. A support slug/spacer may have prevented that, but we hadn't used them - not sure how we could have inserted those in the box-channel anyway.

I wasn't comfortable just welding the bolts, and wasn't getting the plates to suck up to the frame like they should have if the bolts could have tightened. SO, I decided to bite the bullet and go back and have a friend that builds custom vehicles weld the plates...unfortunately, the shell was back on, the belly pan on, wheel wells... Only way to access the plate was to cut my wheel wells and remove them, pull the belly pan, un-insulate, de-plumb... Do it right, or don't do it, but this was a bitter pill to swallow.

Fortunately, the center floor that sandwiches the wheel well flange to the frame was not yet attached (it covers my gray tanks and wiring chase) so that made access possible without taking the axles themselves all the way off.

Anyway, in the past week we have done/are doing:

1) cut the wheel wells
2) welded the plates to the frame above and below, wherever possible
3) repaired the wheel wells
4) re-insulated
5) re-cut the floor in the middle as the weld changed the width a bit
6) installed two plumbing vent caps
7) replaced the rear and front center outside skin panels
8) new gasket in all the windows
9) replaced all the stringers/supports behind the front and rear panels
10) replaced many of the stringers in the ceiling with new channel
11) installed one fantastic fan, working on #2 right now
12) ordered a Maxim skylight for the astrodome hole (thanks, Reinergirl, for the great idea)
13) Rebuilt the door - not hanging yet, but looks pretty good. Getting help with those hinges, as the old ones had been torqued really bad to tear off the center piece. Looking for replacement parts for the jamb - I have part of one.
14) put a temp patch over the old water heater hole with a funky patch I made using old material and existing frame
15) new tail lights and marker lights
16) bucked the rest of the trailer to the floor channel (only did corners before)
17) replaced all the roof rivets/ribs/stringers as all had popped
18) had wheel wells lined with truck-bed liner (LineX)
19) new tires (coming today)
20) bought a new pickup to tow it...2014 f150 - silver in color.

Pictures later, but that's the update. I have hauled it up and down the highways at 60mph and it's done well. Looks really good matched with the silver pickup, if I do say so myself.

KCN
KCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #183
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Dude you have been busy! How about some pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 10-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #184
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Trying again with pictures - my internet is slow.

Got pulled over on the way home from getting my wheel wells done - only five miles from my house, figured I'd make it without putting the license plate on...nooo...."the reason I pulled you over is that you don't have a license plate on this trailer..." I was like, "yeah, I don't have a door either, didja notice that??" Anyway he gave me a warning. LOL

Big score!! I found 4 original Bargman strike plates at 5Star RV Salvage in Brighton, CO - if you are EVER in the area, take a day and go poke through their parts tents. Also the wrap for a spare tire 15" Continental kit. No center, but I'll find that eventually.

The pics are of some of the things I've referenced lately -particularly happy with the wheel wells being lined - pricey for sure, but sealed that gap behind the outriggers - my belly pan sagged about 2 inches here when I got it and was the major entrance for water, dirt, bugs, RUS's etc..

KC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2917.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	225428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2968.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	225429  

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	225430   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2910.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	225431  

Name:	IMG_2883.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	225432   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2884.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	225433  

Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #185
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Shakedown trip

Just completed a 500 mile trip with my aluminum tent - about 14 hours. Pulled like a dream - some challenging weather - pouring rain, turned to sleet then snow, then high wind, then beautiful clear, cold skies. Good leak test. Proud to say that the old girl performed very well, considering the unfinished state. I managed to re-attach the door last night with the original hinges, but since I haven't attached a real door-knob yet, I just tied the knob to the grab handle and it held. Put the old rock-guard on yesterday as well.

Only real failure was one of those vent caps I just put on = the workmanship on those is pretty cheesey, and the bell top just broke off. The other is ok, but I had to stop on the side of the road take out the stepladder and stuff plastic bags down the vent stack.

See ya next summer - plan on taking a hiatus from the trailer for a while.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3010.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	225684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3015.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	225685  

Name:	IMG_3028.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	225686  
Old 11-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #186
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Looks Good Kathy... Like the new TV! The old girl is coming together! Looks like you picked up some rivet placement skills hanging out at my shop. Sorry was not able to get your new hinges on the door with in the door. Have fun in JH for the winter!
TMI
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #187
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Question Power musings

I'm contemplating purchasing my trailer's power system this winter and using components of it/familiarizing myself with how it all works before I install it. The reasons for the this are two:

1) I'm now living (with my dogs) in a snowbound cabin for the winter and will likely need some external power generation when the power goes out. And I got about 18 inches of snow yesterday and the power has faltered several times already. I'm looking at the Honda eu2000i and possibly a companion to wire in series. Thoughts on these generators anyone?

2) the cabin has a fantastic, rarely-used greenhouse (pictured), and since I have used cold frames/hoop houses successfully in the winter, I'd like to try my hand at deep-winter growing. I would like to get some solar panels that I can use now and take with me for my trailer when I move on in the spring. The power from the panels would operate a small 12v fan, maybe grow lights, as well as a small greenhouse heater that would turn on automatically at specific temperatures. The Overlander has ample roof space for at least 4 panels, although I will likely only get two for now and mount them in a portable frame. I'm looking at the 100 watt panels by Renogy...?

I figure this would be good practice for me with all the electronics, figuring out amps/watts/volts/generators/inverters/converters/batteries - all that stuff without screwing up my trailer or burning anything down. So any thoughts on the setup, what I'm needing, what I'm overlooking, would be appreciated! I can get stuff delivered no problem - just have to ski/snowshoe out to the main road and drag it in on a sled for a quarter mile!

Also got my Maxim Skylight - will have to install it later. Looks awesome, and, Like Reinergirl's experience, they are a really great company to work with.

Thanks for any feedback...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3349.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	226563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	226564  

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	226565  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 AM   #188
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Doing a welfare check on my trailer to see how it survived the winter in Montana. Four months away from the trailer is a long time. No mouse poops and no leaking. Each of my side windows have only one latch, evidenced by the use of gorilla tape on the outside of the trailer, although both the front and rear have two. I will be adding one to each window. You can see the temporary patch I made out of the old water heater frame and a piece of aluminum from the front panel I replaced. It works. Need the outside flap door for that bathroom fan, as well as a couple of compartment doors on the other side that are missing.

I hope to have the trailer with me this summer to work on, and I have found a place I can keep it. But, I'm going back to school and starting a new business, so work will be sporadic and slow.

Went to an adult ed welding class last night with my sister. Awesome opportunity to finally begin learning this part of the skill set necessary to restore one of these trailers (and my sister needs it on this ranch). The teacher turned me loose in one of the booths to practice. I hope to continue doing more of this. It was a lot of fun and I wasn't too terrible!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5043.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	233652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5045.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	233653  

Name:	IMG_5039.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	233654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5050.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	233657  

Old 07-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #189
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Lights, brakes, sharks.

It appears to be 58-63 Overlander update week - so I'll join in. 9 months of no work...life sure goes by quickly.

Finally got my brakes wired yesterday and my rear marker lights. Last fall, before I got my wheel wells bed-lined, I had drilled through the box frame and axle plates to create a channel for the future brake wires - I then put conduit through the frame for the brake wires into the mid-ship electrical area where my junction box is located. Also, previous to doing my belly pan, I had run smurf-tube conduit through the frame's box channel from the hitch into that space. Makes for pulling wires much easier. That electrical area will be accessed through my (envisioned) cabinetry. Battery will be just behind the wheel well in the existing access/baggage door area. I will run my shore-power from the other side, through the electrical run and into my control panel.

I have 2-wire lights installed and want three-wire, so I had him run a ground to them for later.

Because my trailer is empty, I decided to haul a shark around with me and give people something to look at through the windows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7334.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	243105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7338.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	243106  

Name:	IMG_7336.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	243107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7355.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	243108  

Old 07-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #190
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Just wanted to share a photo from the end of the day. Drove 500 miles yesterday - pulled like a dream.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7399.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	243243  
Old 07-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #191
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I love towing my Airstream. I rarely even feel it behind me, and sometimes I'm surprised when I check the rearview mirror and see it there...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
That Overlander shape is just the best, I do kind of miss mine... In post 188 what are those rims and tires? they look a little bigger or wider than typical, just curious I'm on the hunt for something bigger.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:23 AM   #193
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Following
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #194
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I love towing my Airstream. I rarely even feel it behind me, and sometimes I'm surprised when I check the rearview mirror and see it there...

I know what you mean - I really love this trailer. I'm fairly brave, but I was still stressing about it... but after a few hours on the road I started to relax when I realized how well it was pulling, even in strong wind. I drove up Sylvan Pass through the east gate of Yellowstone and had no issues. I also like the pickup - if the mileage computer is to be believed, I averaged over 18 mpg. I know it's not at it's full weight yet, but I was happy.

Kathy
Old 07-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #195
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
That Overlander shape is just the best, I do kind of miss mine... In post 188 what are those rims and tires? they look a little bigger or wider than typical, just curious I'm on the hunt for something bigger.

I think it's just that Montana Mud (aka "gumbo") that makes the tires look larger. The wheels are just the standard 15x6 on 5 1/2 OEM that Redneck Trailer carries and I had them powder coated black. I'd looked at 16's after following all the tire threads but decided the original size was good enough for me....for now, anyway.

Kathy
Old 01-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #196
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
I'm still alive, and see my trailer every day, since it's parked outside the storage unit where I store all my tools. All in good time. Had to take some time off the trailer to go back to school and start a new company. Life. Doing this trailer made me realize I can do new things at any age, (55) and to make the most of your talents and abilities, and do things you actually want to do, since you only get one shot at this. Made my first employee hires (part-time) this week, so it's happening for real. Yikes. I did buy a bigass AGM battery and got my solar panels and solar charger thingie. I also scored a huge brand-new Craftsman 11-drawer tool chest COMPLETELY full of tools - no more ziplocs full of assorted wrenches!

Good things come to those who wait. It's the journey, not the destination...blah blah blah.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9382.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	256150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9315.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	256151  

Old 01-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #197
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Good to see you are doing well
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #198
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
cool parts

Well, I got lucky - last visit here I checked out the classifieds and a fellow vintage owner on the forums is restoring a 61 Starliner and was selling some parts...including the complete fan. Very excited to find that! Thanks, Jason! I also bought some lights, which had a copper-overlay base and stem and the very cool star cut-outs, and Jason threw in some Jetson-looking knobs. I'm VERY partial to copper and plan on using it in the trailer, so I may leave that overlay on as best I can. At any rate, the lights are super cool.

Shoveled a couple of feet of snow off my trailer as it was melting and creating ice. Was super thrilled that the trailer held all that weight, and that my rib repair was adequate.

I also made a silly little airstream quilt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9748.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	257384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9749.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	257385  

Name:	IMG_9702.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	257386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9642.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	257387  

Old 02-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #199
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Cool finds, and that quilt is gorgeous!!!!!!!

Is that a photo of your Airstream.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #200
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Cool finds, and that quilt is gorgeous!!!!!!!

Is that a photo of your Airstream.
The trailer with the snow is my actual trailer, yes. It's naked now, as I removed all of that snow....

The trailer in the quilt, however, is from a silly little Nick&Nora pajama print that Target carried about 15 years ago. I love the kitschiness of it.

Tags
spaceliner lights