Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Those wheel wells look phenomenal, I'm going to start Googling the technique too.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Making some good headway today. 4 sections of floor laid in their general location. 2 more to left go. Then it's time to start bolting it all down! Gray water tank is in. Talk about a SNUG fit!!!

99% of the under floor plumbing is done. I'll have to finalize the location of the shower drain later but I've got lots of wiggle room to work with. Oh and then hook up the drain valve system later. That's all further down the road.

I don't know of you can see the fan or not in the picture but you know you're in Texas when you have to run a fan to stay cool in January. : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1313511698.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	203832   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1821836593.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	203833  

Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #83
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Awesome job on the wheel wells - they look exactly like mine! You are super fast - good job to Diane on removing the rivets AND providing motivation!! You will be finished with your project way before I will have mine done
KCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Thanks Kathy. The trick to the wheel wells is recognizing that the flange that rivets up to the shell is is tapered, so that it will match up to the contour of the shell. It's not vertical.

We got the rest of the floor in. Got the shell bolted/screwed down to the floor. We got the floor bolted to the frame.... Well most of it. We ran out elevator bolts and Fastenal was closed on Sunday so we couldn't get it all bolted down. We took today off from working on the Armadillo and will probably not be working on it for the next few weeks. Actual jobs are going to take priority for now. I'm sure I'll find some time to get some bolts though.

Time to start planning for the next phase of the project. Replacing some damaged exterior skin, removing the galvanized steel ceiling that the PO had installed and replacing it with the original aluminum one, electrical, and insulating, I still need to come up with a solution for the windows. I have several that are missing and covered with plywood. None of them have the mechanisms to open and close them. Plus they are the jalousie type and I want solid glass windows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-892954590.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	204055   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3356019791.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	204056  

Old 01-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Wow, you're fast.

If you have questions on rivets, search for Aerowood's posts. You've found the links to the major renovations, right?

What are you planning for electrical?

You're inspiring me to get back to work, despite the forecast of below zero temps and another #$@^&*^%$ foot of snow up here.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Wow, you're fast. If you have questions on rivets, search for Aerowood's posts. You've found the links to the major renovations, right? What are you planning for electrical? You're inspiring me to get back to work, despite the forecast of below zero temps and another #$@^&*^%$ foot of snow up here.
I found a few of them. I read all of HiHoAg's. Browsed a few others. I keep digging as I go.

I'm not sure about electrical yet. My past marine experience says that anything that can be 12v should be 12v instead of 110v. LED lighting and the like. I don't need anything fancy though. I don't see myself needing a lot of 110. Some outlets to charge phones and computers. A coffee pot. Fridge (haven't decided on 2 way or 3 way). AC unit. Diane needs her hair drier. I haven't had a chance to do all of my research on that yet. I will probably install 110 outlets in multiple locations just in case I need it in places that I didn't anticipate. This is my first travel trailer so I have no idea what everyone else generally uses. Anyone who would like to chime in with their personal experiences and electrical needs would be a great help!!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
...I'm not sure about electrical yet. ... I will probably install 110 outlets in multiple locations just in case I need it in places that I didn't anticipate... Anyone who would like to chime in with their personal experiences and electrical needs would be a great help!!
IMHO, any flat horizontal surface will need 1, preferably 2 outlets. I installed 2 sets just above the fridge and they are always full. I should have put one more on the back end of the dresser. 1 near the door would be nice, the 1 that ended up behind a sofa cushion (crappy planning) doesn't get much use but if it was low on the wall, just in-front of the stove it sure would!

1 by the bed is great for electric blankets. I put one in the closet so I can plug in the univolt when I want. I leave it unplugged and charge with solar.

Oh, one suggestion...don't JUST plan on the outlet locations, figure out where your splice boxes can go so they are inside cabinets and hidden from sight.

On the outside, I have one on each side of the 'Stream.

I was also foolish enough to think that a single 12V accessory outlet would be ok. I now have 3 and kinda wish I had 2 more.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
IMHO, any flat horizontal surface will need 1, preferably 2 outlets. I installed 2 sets just above the fridge and they are always full. I should have put one more on the back end of the dresser. 1 near the door would be nice, the 1 that ended up behind a sofa cushion (crappy planning) doesn't get much use but if it was low on the wall, just in-front of the stove it sure would! 1 by the bed is great for electric blankets. I put one in the closet so I can plug in the univolt when I want. I leave it unplugged and charge with solar. Oh, one suggestion...don't JUST plan on the outlet locations, figure out where your splice boxes can go so they are inside cabinets and hidden from sight. On the outside, I have one on each side of the 'Stream. I was also foolish enough to think that a single 12V accessory outlet would be ok. I now have 3 and kinda wish I had 2 more.
All great ideas! Hadn't thought about the electric blanket but I was planning on having 2 outlets by the bed anyway.

What do you use the two outside outlets for?

And what do you run that needs 12v accessory plug? I hadn't planned on putting any of those in. :/ maybe I should.

I was also considering installing several 5v USB outlets for charging phones and other electronic devices. Remember that, for us, the Armadillo's main purpose is a work camper not a recreational vehicle otherwise I would ban most personal electronics on vacations. : )
Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I have a couple of 12 auto outlets in the Overlander and use them for stuff like phone charger and the hand held sat nav. On the next trailer I'll install 110V outlet channel in the base of the upper cabinets, pretty cool stuff really as it's unobtrusive and very flexible in terms of use. I also put several outlet boxes wired in place for LED under cabinet panel lights.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
This thread has a ton of links to other full-monte projects. Good link to have handy if you get some extra time.

I put a number of circuits in and wish I left a couple extras. One really good idea is to put some smurf tubing behind the walls with a messenger line run through it. I did this on the first trailer and wish I did it on this one too. One over the top allows you to run side to side in a closet, so you don't to need have a line showing in the future.

I listed all our connections on Post 84 on this thread and there is a drawing on the next post.

I plan to switch out a couple of outlets to the type that have the combination 120Volt and USB charger port. Great idea!

All but a couple of cool vintage lights in our trailer are LEDs -- great for boon docking! We like the Swego Reading Lights.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
This thread has a ton of links to other full-monte projects. Good link to have handy if you get some extra time. I put a number of circuits in and wish I left a couple extras. One really good idea is to put some smurf tubing behind the walls with a messenger line run through it. I did this on the first trailer and wish I did it on this one too. One over the top allows you to run side to side in a closet, so you don't to need have a line showing in the future. I listed all our connections on Post 84 on this thread and there is a drawing on the next post. I plan to switch out a couple of outlets to the type that have the combination 120Volt and USB charger port. Great idea! All but a couple of cool vintage lights in our trailer are LEDs -- great for boon docking! We like the Swego Reading Lights.
I have seen your diagram before when I was browsing through some of the threads. I will probably steal a few things from it. ; )

The smurf tubing..... I understand that it works like an electrical conduit so that you can easily pull wires. Did you use that in place of grommets for going through the ribs on all of your wire runs or was it something you did just to be able to add more later?

I love the Swego lights! That's exactly what I was wanting to put at the head of the bed for reading.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
The Swego lights are great. We've tried more than one set and they are the only ones that allow us to actually read. Current draw is 0.1 amp -- just incredible.

I didn't use the smurf tubing instead of grommets. I ran it right beside one of the ribs, going from one closet to the other, at the closest point to the battery. I forgot who posted the idea first, but he ran it through ribs going across the trailer too. I think he used the screw connectors, but I'm not sure. I did a quick search on the forum and didn't see it.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
We have been busy with work for the last week or so, and haven't had a chance to do any work on the Armadillo. While flipping through my pics of the work I found a few that I thought were post worthy but didn't get posted as they occurred.

Here's the mouse "ant farm" that was living behind the sink/stove in the galley.

Name:	image-4287675521.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	204561

Working late!

Name:	image-3166873427.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	204564

Diane working hard in the cold!

Name:	image-2452524511.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	204566

Currently we are planning the electrical layout. Thanks for all the help guys. There's a couple panels of exterior skin that I plan on replacing and I need to find a source for the aluminum. From what I read it should be .032" 2024T6 for the exterior skin. Someone please correct me if this is not right.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #94
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
We have been busy with work for the last week or so, and haven't had a chance to do any work on the Armadillo. While flipping through my pics of the work I found a few that I thought were post worthy but didn't get posted as they occurred.

Here's the mouse "ant farm" that was living behind the sink/stove in the galley.

Attachment 204561

Working late!

Attachment 204564

Diane working hard in the cold!

Attachment 204566

Currently we are planning the electrical layout. Thanks for all the help guys. There's a couple panels of exterior skin that I plan on replacing and I need to find a source for the aluminum. From what I read it should be .032" 2024T6 for the exterior skin. Someone please correct me if this is not right.
Pilot Supplies and Aircraft Parts from Aircraft Spruce .032" 2024 T3
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Thanks Colin.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Airparts inc is another source, they may be a bit closer. I use them just because I remember seeing the original owners at the EAA Flymarket when I was a kid. Their booth had soo much cool stuff!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
USB option

Here's a low tech version of usb hookups. One USB is supposed to be the proper amps for i-stuff, the other for everybody else. If you notice the screwhole in the middle, it actually came with a screw to mount it permanently to the outlet. Just a little less permanent idea. Oh, and it is also a surge protector as the red light shows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	204649  
rippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 AM   #98
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hi Cardinal,
Nice project you have going on there.
About aluminum suppliers-
I have sourced aluminum from both Aircraft Spruce and Airparts Inc. It has been my experience that Airparts Inc does a better job of packaging and ship faster than Aircraft Spruce. If you would like to save on some shipping costs, you might try a place in Ft Worth called CF Metals. Their number is 817-838-9722.
Have fun!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippie View Post
Here's a low tech version of usb hookups. One USB is supposed to be the proper amps for i-stuff, the other for everybody else. If you notice the screwhole in the middle, it actually came with a screw to mount it permanently to the outlet. Just a little less permanent idea. Oh, and it is also a surge protector as the red light shows.
Thanks Richard. Where did you get those? That's more or less what I was looking for.

Toby
Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #100
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Hi Cardinal, Nice project you have going on there. About aluminum suppliers- I have sourced aluminum from both Aircraft Spruce and Airparts Inc. It has been my experience that Airparts Inc does a better job of packaging and ship faster than Aircraft Spruce. If you would like to save on some shipping costs, you might try a place in Ft Worth called CF Metals. Their number is 817-838-9722. Have fun!
Top, thanks. I will check them out. Richard had told me about another local place too. I'd definitely like to find my aluminum locally to save on shipping costs.

Toby

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander