Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Here are the pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	57721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	57722  

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	57723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	57724  

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	57725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	57726  

Name:	IMG_0669.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	57727  
Old 04-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams
So there is this '61 Overlander on E-bay we were looking at- comparing it to ours. They are identical- then we noticed something odd about ours... the taillights are in a strange position. They are on either side of the rear window- so as to allow room for the spare tire mounts- this must have been custom ordered because there was no evidence of the taillights having been moved. I pulled out all our airstream books and got on the archives and I can't fine another trailer with the lights in the same position. We recently noticed the caravan sticker ghost on the trailer and are now curious if it went on an international caravan- maybe even the round the world caravan? The ghost # is 5057- does anyone have an old directory that would tell us a little more about it? Does anyone know of another trailer with the lights moved up like that?

There is a pix of one like yours in the VAC's picture gallery at:

http://airstream.net/images/caravan18.jpg

Look at the third airstream in.

And to see why they did it that way look at :

http://airstream.net/images/caravan2.jpg

The dual spares almost cover up the taillights.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I like the first two shots (must be the polish) gives me something to aim for. Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Just found your thread on your '61, and I love it. This is probably a more appropriate place to discuss, rather than your new FC thread.

Reading through, there seem to be quite a few forum members who also have '61 Overlanders, they're obviously quite popular.

The one on ebay that you are referring to on the other thread is probably this one in Bedford, Indiana. It has been listed twice, didn't meet reserve either time, first at $5,050 and the second time at $5,700. Both seem to be on the high side to me, but obviously the seller thinks even MORE highly of the unit. I really like this one, it looks just about identical to yours:

There was also a '63 on ebay this past week, again in Indiana (not the same seller or town), that looked somewhat interesting. I was concerned that the exterior skin on this one might have been abraded, though the seller told me it was just heavy oxidation. This one received zero bids, with a starting price of $3499.99.

I hesitated to pull the trigger on either one of them, primarily because I am just not sure how to feel confident about buying a trailer that is over 1,000 miles away, sight unseen.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I was interested in the top one (Bedford, Indiana '61) a while back. I didn't find out what the reserve was but know that it was in excess of $7600 IIRC. The seller sent me some additional photographs which put it in the "middle" category of condition if you ignore the lack of service/ maintenance. Beautiful looking trailer just not right for my project.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus
I was interested in the top one (Bedford, Indiana '61) a while back. I didn't find out what the reserve was but know that it was in excess of $7600 IIRC. The seller sent me some additional photographs which put it in the "middle" category of condition if you ignore the lack of service/ maintenance. Beautiful looking trailer just not right for my project.
Thanks truckasaurus, that's about what I thought. It really does seem to be in nice physical condition, but I think the seller is awfully proud of the unit for the overall condition that it's in. I was willing to go to the mid $5K range, knowing that I was going to need to spend a small chunk of change on new tires and re-pack the bearings and check out the brakes just to get it the 1,000 miles back to Texas. Still, I'm just not seeing any inventory of this type of unit down here in Austin or the South-central USA in general, and I've been looking causally for 6 months, and VERY actively for about 3 months.

It seems to me that the FIRST Airstream is the hardest to get...
Old 04-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
ute94- Have you checked your local Craig's List? Once you find your Airstream- you'll know it! As for buying trailers- sight unseen- miles and miles away: we have done this twice on e-bay and once paid more than we should have ('61 Overlander). As long as you set an amount ($5000 seems reasonable) knowing that no matter what condition its in you are going to restore it anyway, you won't be disappointed when you drive 800 miles and find floor rot or dings in the skin that were not advertised. A word of caution on "restored" trailers- they are often polished and cosmetically done on the inside, they may even have a new axle, but they often haven't had the frame checked for integrity, the sub-floor replaced and reattached to the body of the trailer, or the wiring, plumbing, ect updated. I would say you are better off finding an un-restored and doing it yourself- and before having anyone work on your trailer- ask for customer references! Good luck- you will find her!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #48
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Thanks truckasaurus, that's about what I thought. It really does seem to be in nice physical condition, but I think the seller is awfully proud of the unit for the overall condition that it's in. I was willing to go to the mid $5K range, knowing that I was going to need to spend a small chunk of change on new tires and re-pack the bearings and check out the brakes just to get it the 1,000 miles back to Texas. Still, I'm just not seeing any inventory of this type of unit down here in Austin or the South-central USA in general, and I've been looking causally for 6 months, and VERY actively for about 3 months.

It seems to me that the FIRST Airstream is the hardest to get...
I also was looking at that first one on ebay, not because I wanted or needed another '61 Overlander, but because it was almost an identical match to the one I have. The same turquoise floor tile, same hub caps, even the same old air conditioner. It seemed to be in good shape, the interior lights & covers looked good. I saw it on ebay 3 times this year & once last year.
I purchased our '61 in 2006 off of on ad here on the forums. I had to go to Austin, Texas(Georgetown) to get it! Just keep looking, maybe one will show up close by.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea
I also was looking at that first one on ebay, not because I wanted or needed another '61 Overlander, but because it was almost an identical match to the one I have. The same turquoise floor tile, same hub caps, even the same old air conditioner. It seemed to be in good shape, the interior lights & covers looked good. I saw it on ebay 3 times this year & once last year.
I purchased our '61 in 2006 off of on ad here on the forums. I had to go to Austin, Texas(Georgetown) to get it! Just keep looking, maybe one will show up close by.
Ha! Timing is everything, isn't it? Maybe I'll find an Overlander in Mississippi.

3Streams-- yes, definitely checking local Craigslist in Austin (all of Texas and adjacent states actually) every day. Also checking the local fishwrap classified ads everyday, because believe it or not some folks still don't use the Internet for everything!

As always, your advice and encouragement are much appreciated. I honestly am enjoying this part of the process, I learn something new every day. But at the same time, I'm eager to find something and get moving on a restoration (as well as camping, of course, which is the whole point!).

Thanks,
-Marcus
Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I quickly gave up trying to find a local trailer. Luckily I want to do a complete rehab so more trailers became options. (lets just say very varied condition!) and with a lower entry price less up front risk from buying sight unseen. Granted I haven't even laid eyes on my purchase yet but having it towed over to InlandRV for inspection/ improvement has allayed my worst fears.... This Friday I leave to pick her up, 7000 Km round trip so I hope I like what I get!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
truckasaurus, I just checked out a few of your threads to follow your saga. Your upcoming trip makes my 2,000-mile-roundtrip fears seem pretty minimal, to say the least!

Just FYI, there is a guy here in Austin who advertised on Craiglist within the last week that he is gutting and parting out the innards of a 1961 Safari, selling pretty much everything except the shower and asking $350 for the lot. Some of those parts might be useful and appropriate for your reno/resto project, though I'm not sure how you would acquire them. Maybe you could add Texas to your circuit once you pick up the trailer in California.

Here's the listing if you're interested:

1961 Airstream appliances, beds, and interior parts

Thanks,
-Marcus
Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Thanks for the heads up Marcus. I love this forum. The one item I think I'll need is the shower base! The good news is another forum member (Craig) has one and offered it up for free, it is in Colorado Springs so my route just takes a wider loop. I hear Austin is a cool place but for me I'll be visiting when my trailer is complete so 2010 if I'm lucky.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Austin's a fun town, you should come down sometime when you get a chance.

So, I've tried to contact the seller of #1 (the '61) without success, but it seems from what others are saying (and the fact that he has listed it on ebay at least 4 times) that he's not planning on coming down to a reasonable selling price anyway.

For #2 (the '63), I now believe I could get it for $2.5K. Round-trip gas would be approximately $500. So, what does anyone think? Here's a link to the last auction that ended with zero bids.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300214651574&ih=020&ca tegory=50063
Old 04-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Also, any way to know if these wheels and tires would fit this Airstream?

## Aluminum rims and tires ##

The wheels are 6-lug aluminum, and the tires are 70R/15 10 ply radials with an E rating. Seller says the tires have 600 miles on them and 1 year of age, and they cost $138/each new.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Go to Vintage Airstream Photo Archives - an Overlander should be 26 feet- if its 28 feet it is an Ambassador- I think the seller just measured wrong. It looks like an Overlander. For $2500- go for it! The skin looks pretty straight- although there is no picture of the street side- I would ask for one of those (it might have a tear in the skin or something awful). You can always change the layout (with reason and planning on weight distribution) so if you prefer twin vs queen or gaucho vs dinette those are always options. I would ask for a few more pictures, but- so far so good.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams
Go to Vintage Airstream Photo Archives - an Overlander should be 26 feet- if its 28 feet it is an Ambassador- I think the seller just measured wrong. It looks like an Overlander. For $2500- go for it! The skin looks pretty straight- although there is no picture of the street side- I would ask for one of those (it might have a tear in the skin or something awful). You can always change the layout (with reason and planning on weight distribution) so if you prefer twin vs queen or gaucho vs dinette those are always options. I would ask for a few more pictures, but- so far so good.
Thanks again Andy (or April? ). I think he measured incorrectly as well, it definitely appears to be an Overlander to me. That's a great idea to ask for pictures of the street-side, and at the same time I'll ask for pictures of the badging to determine which one it is.

ON EDIT: Just checked back through the pictures and badging IS identified-- it's an Overlander as expected. VIN I263D138.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Marcus. The email address I had for the lady selling #1 is roxirob@msn.com. But as you point out if she didn't take over $7.5K she is unlikley to take less now, but who knows? If it helps, I paid $1800 for mine, but it was totally gutted and in the condition you see from my photos in the gallery. No doubt it'll be a money pit, but at least I know that upfront.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks truckasaurus (is that a Simpsons reference by the way? ) , I'll try her directly, we'll seen what happens.

Andy and April, my apologies once again for hijacking another of your threads. We'll see if I can somehow manage to conduct my business off of your threads from now on , it seems you made the mistake of responding to me with excellent information.

I do deeply appreciate your insights and expertise, and I am honestly looking forward to seeing everything you do with both the Overlander, and the new FC. If you're ever down here in Austin, the beers and/or margaritas are on me!

Tags