Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
1959 Overlander Restoration

I hope that we're not overly optimistic in using the title of "Restoration" rather than "Renovation", but I think this trailer may be a very good candidate.

This is our second major project. Our first was full monte on a 1965 Caravel -- see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f145...vel-45046.html.

Our lifestyle is changing -- we want to spend a month at a time in wonderful places that we have discovered during our 3 cross-country trips and want more room to travel with grandchildren. Translation: we need a larger trailer that doesn't move as often.

Our last trip in the Caravel was a contrast in weather. The first month and a half was spectacularly sunny, to the point where we were praying for rain for the residents of Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. We have never seen vegetation so painfully dry. In total contrast, the latter weeks were rainy, rainy and rainy.

One of our goals in the last trip was to identify places where we would like to spend a month at a time escaping the New England Winters. We also evaluated our 17' Caravel for use in that mode and decided that we certainly needed a larger trailer.

Part of our entertainment over several rainy days was reviewing multiple layouts and lengths. We came to the conclusion that a 26' trailer is the ideal size. Our ideal layout had a queen across the back, like the current 25' Airstream. See Airstream, Inc :: International 25

We were just playing with the idea of upgrading to a larger trailer when scarylarry listed a '59 Overlander for a friend. It looked to be exactly what we needed. Good skin and a mess inside -- something that we wouldn't feel guilty trashing the interior. Don't think that's gonna happen.

At the end of our last trip, I broke my arm in a bicycle accident. Seeing my arm in a sling, the seller was terrific, allowing us to keep the Airstream at his place until my arm heals. Still, we can't wait to get her home and will have plenty of questions in the meantime. We came back with just the title and one drawer.

Yes, I've been around AirForums long enough to know that I need to post pics -- I will in my next post. I'll try to keep our progress updated in this thread.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
First Pics

Here are the curb and street side pics, along with forward and aft inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sale_curb_side.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	153295   Click image for larger version

Name:	sale_street_side.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	153296  

Name:	sale_forward.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	153297   Click image for larger version

Name:	sale_aft.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	153298  

Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Paint Removal

The ad stated that this was a paint removal project. They weren't kidding!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sale_oh_cabinets.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	153299  
Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
First Questions

As I mentioned, we returned with just the title and have to wait for my arm to heal before recovering her. In the meantime, can anyone answer these questions:

We stripped the single door that we brought home and the face was Mahogany. Does anyone know how much of the interior is Mahogany?

The door handle is broken. It looks like a Bargman L-77. Where is the best place to get a replacement handle?

We're missing a fridge vent on the roof. The ventilation doesn't look adequate compared to a newer mid-60's trailer. Will a fridge run on that ventilation? If so, can someone post a picture of your roof vent?

I found the original brochure in the service section at airstream.com. It says that the overland has a porch light. Is that the object at the forward edge of the eyebrow over the door?

John
Old 03-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a handle for your new to you trailer. PM me and I will fill you in on the details.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Wow John! You move fast! Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one!

Sorry to hear about the arm.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post

I found the original brochure in the service section at airstream.com. It says that the overland has a porch light. Is that the object at the forward edge of the eyebrow over the door?

John

Congrats on the new trailer! Looking forward to seeing what you do with her! I love the Overlanders!

That is indeed the porch light and that little beauty is worth quite a bit so no matter what shape it's in keep it! In later years, like my 63, they replaced it with a scare light.

If the drawer face is mahogany I would think the rest of your woodwork is also.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
As I mentioned, we returned with just the title and have to wait for my arm to heal before recovering her. In the meantime, can anyone answer these questions:

We stripped the single door that we brought home and the face was Mahogany. Does anyone know how much of the interior is Mahogany?

The door handle is broken. It looks like a Bargman L-77. Where is the best place to get a replacement handle?

We're missing a fridge vent on the roof. The ventilation doesn't look adequate compared to a newer mid-60's trailer. Will a fridge run on that ventilation? If so, can someone post a picture of your roof vent?

John
Great trailer John. All the woodwork in my '59 O'lander is Mahogany. TGTwinkie can hook you up with a very nice replacement door handle. As far as the fridge vent is concerned, I changed mine to a modern flue because of problems with my original fridge vent. The original setup vented through the wall up to a small eyebrow vent. Your fridge will probably work just fine with the original, but since my vent was already in need of repair, I retrofitted a collar and cover from a new Airstream and built a flue from aluminum.

Norm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1926.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	153314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1927.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	153315  

Name:	IMG_3155.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	153316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2258.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	153317  

Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Replies

Tom -

Thanks. It could have been MUCH worse.

TGTwinkie -

PM sent

reinergirl and nmbosa -

Thanks for the info on the woodwork and refer vent. I've read both your threads -- thanks for documenting.

John
Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I sure will enjoy reading this thread...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have the lid to your battery box if you want it. The paint you are stripping looks to be the original Zolatone. I also see it has the toilet on the correct side for a vintage trailer. Those badges with the flag are like gold so keep an eye on them.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Nice offer

Frank,

Thanks for the offer of the lid. I'm going to hold off on accepting to be sure I can use it. Still have 3 long weeks before the recovery.

I didn't realize how lucky we were to get one with the toilet on the correct side.

We'll take very good care of that flag emblem.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flag.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	153374  
Old 03-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
John, the lid is free if and when you want it. You also have a personal offer to call and consult anytime you need. Having camped with you and being in your trailer more than once, I know you will absolutely knock this one out of the park!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Schematics

Thanks to all of you who have documented your projects. I've learned a lot by reading all the Overlander threads. I'll try to give back by putting together some semi-professional schematics of the original layouts and systems.

Here's my first cut at the layout. I'd like to make different versions of the same drawing with electric and plumbing schematics on the same scale. In one of the threads, I remember people asking for them. If anyone wants to send a hand sketch, I'll add it soon. Otherwise, I'll trace out wires and lines in the as-yet-unnamed '59.

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 59_overlander_original.pdf (65.8 KB, 621 views)
Old 03-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Thanks

You're too kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
John, the lid is free if and when you want it. You also have a personal offer to call and consult anytime you need. Having camped with you and being in your trailer more than once, I know you will absolutely knock this one out of the park!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Updates

We're finally picking her up on the 27th. Can't wait.

We received the door handle from TGTwinkie and it looks to be a very well machined piece. Nice workmanship.

I couldn't resist refinishing the drawer front to check out the wood type. Very pleased to see that it looks like Honduran Mahogany veneer. Here's a pic with just two coats of Tung Oil.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drawer_front.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	153715  
Old 03-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Trailer Name

Quote:
Thanks to all of you who have documented your projects. I've learned a lot by reading all the Overlander threads. I'll try to give back by putting together some semi-professional schematics of the original layouts and systems.

Here's my first cut at the layout. I'd like to make different versions of the same drawing with electric and plumbing schematics on the same scale. In one of the threads, I remember people asking for them. If anyone wants to send a hand sketch, I'll add it soon. Otherwise, I'll trace out wires and lines in the as-yet-unnamed '59.

John
John, Been thinkin' about a name for your new find. Based on the fact that it's yet to be determined if the trailer is male or female and the color of your bathroom fixtures. I offer "Pinkie" and remind you that it also ties in with one of the characters in the famous PacMan video games. LOL! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Your 59 looks really nice! I was noticing the galley cabinet painted. I stripped mine with airplane stripper ( Auto Zone ). and had mine powder coated. It came out fantastic. I had it powder coated to look like stainless steel. It was worth it and did not cost that much.

Bran
Old 03-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Your 59 looks really nice! I was noticing the galley cabinet painted. I stripped mine with airplane stripper ( Auto Zone ). and had mine powder coated. It came out fantastic. I had it powder coated to look like stainless steel. It was worth it and did not cost that much.

Bran
Brian,

Thanks. I always thought of powder coating as expensive. I did see the cabinet in your thread and it looks sharp. I'm sure I'll read that thread several times before finishing this project.

I have a funny feeling that you're right about Aircraft Stripper being the correct approach, although I hope to get as much as possible off with CitriStrip or Removall. Aircraft Stripper is bound to be a little rough in an enclosed space, even with a lot of fans running. I didn't show a lot of pictures of ugly paint, but we'll be dealing with multiple coats of various types -- including plenty of peeling latex. The previous owner stripped it bare in some spots and it's pretty much untouched in others.

I look forward to the time when we can choose finishes.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
All Pro Marine Remover.
I have found nothing better. It takes aircraft off of boats.
That is Zolatone on those overheads. It was the original paint surface.

Tags
1959, 1959 overlander