Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Remodel or replace???
remodel 1958 overlander 17 89.47%
replace 1958 overlander 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2002, 09:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to caribbeanbum
Question 1958 Airstream Overlander

Hi all members... I was wondering. My 1958 Overlander is considered good condition but needs remodelled and the air conditioner on the ceiling needs to be replaced. RV parks decline me to park it at their place on a regular basis, based on its age. Is it worth remodelling and getting a new a/c unit for, perhaps hoping that this might help chances of a space being rented to? Most RV parks nowadays EXPECT it to be no older than 20 years. So, should I use money to remodel or get a newer travel trailer? Thanks for any input. God Bless!
caribbeanbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 11:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I would say remodel! If you fix-it-up (like polishing, etc.), how will they know how old it really is? Especially with the new "classic" models trying to look like the vintage ones...

Also, the cost to fix-it-up has got to be less than a new A/S don't you think?

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1958 Airstream Overlander

Based on my experience with my '64 Overlander, I would say forge ahead. I know that it doesn't always work, but when I pull into a park's reception area and proceed to the registration desk I follow a "don't tell if not asked" policy regarding the age of my coach - - the question, however, can be answered rather easily by looking at the license plate frame on my coach - - at the top - - 1964 - - and on the bottom - - Overlander.

Prior to restoration, I was denyed access to only one park of the several that had age restrictions on coaches. Since restoration, I haven't been questioned. When making advanced reservations with a campground known to have such regulations, I always ask about my coach's acceptance - - the only times that I have been turned down under those conditions have been when it was an issue with lack of a gray water tank on the coach.

So far, the restoration on my coach has included refurbishing the interior, replacing major appliances (furnace, water heater, water pump, water tank, refrigerator, air conditioner, power inverter [Univolt failed and with solar panels the Inverter seemed to make more sense] and water filter), refinishing cabinetry, refinishing walls, new upholstery, new drapes, and a full polish job with new plasticoat. I probably have about the cost of a new brand X in the restoration, but only about 1/3 the cost of a similar new Airstream.

I am just a bit nervous about the reception of my '78 Argosy Minuet and '75 Cadillac tow vehicle this summer. The Argosy will be virtually restored on the inside, but the paint is going to have to wait for a year or two. The Cadillac is a well-maintained nearly original car with about 110,000 miles.

Good luck with your restoration. I am sure that your Overlander will give you many years of enjoyment. I have know my Overlander since it was purchased new by friends' of my family.

The before of my Overlander:

The after of my Overlander:

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 09:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i had a 73 air stream international some one had painted looked like an escapee from the junk yard. i had the same problem . no body want that piece of crap in their park. when i retired i spent a full month removing the paint polishing the skin . when i was finished it was a mirror. i went back to some of the rv parks and no one ask how old the tt was. if they commented it was your coach looks like a new dollar. the insides of the trailer was like new and was all origional. when i sold it i parked at a park and sell . before i got home i had three calls to look at it and the first caller walked thru it and wrote a check on the spot. he had a dodge dakota to pull the unit . i droped it at his house and advised him that he needed a bigger dog. never seen him or the trailer again. that is what i call and accident looking for a place to happen. i looked in the tow spec for dodge trucks and it was certified to pull the weight . POLISH THE OUT SIDE BUT GET A CYCLO POLISHER IT WILL BE A LOT QUICKER THAN WHAT I DID. LOL
AL
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #5

We just bought a 58 Overlander (just found out today it is an Overlander and not a Tradewind from one of our forum members). We've only been to 2 parks, which welcomed us with open arms. It's not polished yet, we are not sure we want to polish it. We are new to the RV scene, but already know in our hearts this one is for us. We encourage you to go forth with your Overlander.
Boop'Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Welcome fellow Overlander!!!

We love our 1976 Overlander!!!

Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags