Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1956 - 1959 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
What makes it an 'International' 1958

My 58 FC has 12v lighting and 120v systems. Things I have read tell me that is the "international package" but there is no badges, stickers, or anything on the rig that says so. Did they mark the trailers back then with any kind of notation?
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a 1960 list of options which show "standard" and "land yacht" lines. Another list I have shows the first mention of "international" in 1969.

I have never seen a "standard" model. The standard did not have: double propane tanks, water system, fridge, water heater, 12v lights, or a "sanitator" (crapper?)

Think I'll just throw this one in: In 1973 there was an option called Thermosan. It took the coach sewage through a hose to the exhaust manifold on the TV and incinerated it as you were cruising.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The International option was comprised of a slightly thicker frame, different lighting, plumbing, and furnishings. I KNOW they had International badging as early as 1963, as a 1963 Overlander I got some parts from had the badges.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
My '67 trailer has the international package and there are "badges" in script that say International on the rear between the taillights and on both sides near the red,white, and blue flag emblems. In addition to that the exterior trim package is also a international feature that includes the aluminum taillight mounts, and extra rubrails. The interior had more than just a different color scheme. It also had expanded 12 volt outlets that you could use in the bathroom for razors and above the refer in the cabinet face to plug in a tv, radio, or other 12v device. There was also upgraded material on the zippered covers for the twin mattresses/cushions and the gaucho full matress/cushions in my trailer. There may have been more differences between International and standard packages but I know these were some of the items that made mine an "international". Hope this helps you. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi bevman -- You should really listen to Fred Coldwell (VAC historian & 47WeeWind on the boards here) talk about the 50's Airstreams in episode 37 at Welcome to the Frontpage - The Vintage Airstream Podcast. Fred says that Internationals did have an International globe emblem on the outside -- maybe somebody would have a better idea about this location and appearance. The more road-ready International package picked up 12 volt electrical systems and pressurized water in the late 50's. I think you'd appreciate listening to this particular broadcast -- it works to listen from your computer -- might need to load the free iTunes. Of course all their episodes are great for vintage owners to listen to while traveling!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Aha! This member has an International emblem in their avatar: http://www.airforums.com/forums/493236-post38.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I have a 58 International - it has the globe next to the door and on the rear of the trailer - usually they were the fully loaded models - I've never heard of one having a thicker frame though....

Back then you could order pretty much what you wanted so I supposed someone ordered the 12v system, but not the "package" with all the other goodies.

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
International

International models have more gadgets, gizzmos, better grade materials and the like.

The definition depends on the year trailer.

Of course, International models cost a little bit more money.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Andy

Did they have thicker frames?

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Internationals had these.

I got two off a 1960 International model that is unforunately, no longer with us on earth. I'm looking for one more if anyone out there has one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	International 1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	51244  
Attached Images

https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hi bevman -- You should really listen to Fred Coldwell (VAC historian & 47WeeWind on the boards here) talk about the 50's Airstreams in episode 37 at Welcome to the Frontpage - The Vintage Airstream Podcast. Fred says that Internationals did have an International globe emblem on the outside -- maybe somebody would have a better idea about this location and appearance. The more road-ready International package picked up 12 volt electrical systems and pressurized water in the late 50's. I think you'd appreciate listening to this particular broadcast -- it works to listen from your computer -- might need to load the free iTunes. Of course all their episodes are great for vintage owners to listen to while traveling!
Actually, that podcast was the one that started me on this thread. Fred described the items that made a 50's rig "international" and that had me saying, "I think I have one ... but there isn't any branding to be found/seen."

The PO, I found out, took this on Wally caravans to Great Britain, Europe and Alaska in the 60s & 70s. I'm trying to find out a way of getting an historical photo of this trailer in one of those exotic places.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Andy

Did they have thicker frames?

Ken J.
No.

Andy