Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1956 - 1959 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstech View Post
That is a sweet deal. I paid 800 for the same unit. great find!
Thanks! I wasn't sure I was going to add an AC due to cost and maybe design issues but for the price I couldn't pass on it. Good deals can be found, I totally believe it.
MontanaAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yeah, you got that AC unit for a steal.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Wow! Awesome find...we went to a local 'RV/Boat Tent Sale' today and were lucky enough to find some new interior light fixtures...that was about all they had though. I need to find your type of sale!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Was a very slow weekend on the trailer. I am rather ambitious but like the rest of the country our town took on some major flooding due to rains. We have friends that cannot get back to Montana after the U2 concert in Denver as roads are closed or have been washed away. Our hearts are with the people of Joplin, Missouri ~ we have family that lives close by and this was a very scary storm.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
No rain = Paint stripping

Rain has stopped for a bit and a rather nice evening. Ready to change my scenery a bit and work on the outside of the trailer versus the inside. i"m going after the white painted roof with some aircraft paint remover. Brush it on and after about 5 minutes the paint would bubble. I used a plastic scraper to scrap the paint and then washed it off. Respirator and gloves a must when handling the remover. Yes, you are correct - my respirator is pink. My wife bought it and liked the color. Humbling and funny! I guess I have 2 girls in my life now, my wife and my trailer!

The difference on the trailer is amazing. You can clearly see that the new roof line is shiny and non-oxidized. It is apparent the paint was applied long time ago. In the picture you can also see the painted and non-painted surface along with the oxidization on the lower part of the trailer. I also removed a window drip cap to get ready for more exterior work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000949.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	130596   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000962.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	130597  

Name:	P1000951.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	130598   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000969.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	130599  

Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
Wow! Awesome find...we went to a local 'RV/Boat Tent Sale' today and were lucky enough to find some new interior light fixtures...that was about all they had though. I need to find your type of sale!
Thanks for your message. Come on over to Montana some time, we can fish out the deals! And if you got a fishing pole we can go catch some fish too!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Yeah, you got that AC unit for a steal.
Keep waiting for them to call me and say it was an accident or wrong price! One of those deals where I'm totally excited but also very humbled as I know this was a very rare deal. Off to a great start though.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Montana has had relentless rain and flooding the last 2+ weeks, been really tough seeing the destruction. While keeping the waters at bay, most of my down time has been making deals off Craigslist for parts, etc. that I need for the Cloud. I've also taken aim at the interior panels, slowly removing them and drilling out rivets. I'm documenting all the wiring and plumbing to have reference points should I need them.

My initial priority in the next couple weeks is to get panels off and start sealing up the Cloud, including removing and redoing the windows. I've just been waiting for Vintage Supply to get some of the window hardware fasteners in stock. Here's a timeless question: Do I replace the old glass with new glass? Anybody?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
I don't know what most people do but we replaced the glass in our '59. When we tried removing the glass to clean up the windows we ended up breaking them. Now we have tempered glass with some UV protection. They look just like the old window glass with two (very small) exceptions:

1) The old glass was slightly wavy (like old glass can be)
2) There is faint window etching on the new glass in the corner. The window etching says that the glass is tempered. Our glass guy told us we couldn't get glass without etching.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Definately replace your glass. I had a guy volunteer to help push my trailer into the garage, but he put his hand thru the front window and had a 2,000.00 doctor visit and a nice big scar. A large piece of glass went into his arm about 6 inches. glass is relatively cheap and all of yours is flat and easy to work with. Measure twice before you go to your glass shop.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
I agree replace it with 1/8 " tempered glass. If you rebuild them ( which is a task) you might as well go with new safer glass. If you need pointers on rebuilding them PM me. Ed
n2batr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
+1 on safer glass. I have done door and window work for 15+ years...when in doubt use tempered or lami.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
It's also a good time to visit the idea of tinting. We tinted our 67 and love it. It adds privacy and cuts down on heat coming thru. And should the glass break, will hold it together some.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
I don't know what most people do but we replaced the glass in our '59. When we tried removing the glass to clean up the windows we ended up breaking them. Now we have tempered glass with some UV protection. They look just like the old window glass with two (very small) exceptions:

1) The old glass was slightly wavy (like old glass can be)
2) There is faint window etching on the new glass in the corner. The window etching says that the glass is tempered. Our glass guy told us we couldn't get glass without etching.
Thank you for your input, I am definately leaning towards replacing the glass as I don't feel the glass to be the safest for my 3 little boys, etc. I really enjoyed reading your blog, sounds like you guys have bunches of fun like us! I'm inspired and will be starting a blog shortly to keep things updated more (video, pics, etc.) Thanks again!

Jeremy
Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Definately replace your glass. I had a guy volunteer to help push my trailer into the garage, but he put his hand thru the front window and had a 2,000.00 doctor visit and a nice big scar. A large piece of glass went into his arm about 6 inches. glass is relatively cheap and all of yours is flat and easy to work with. Measure twice before you go to your glass shop.
Oh my gosh! Is this guy still your friend? After getting some feedback I am definately going to replace the glass. I have 3 little boys and I need the trailer to be as safe as it can be. I probably will measure more than twice!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
He was never my friend, but rather a friend of my uncles, they had been drinking quite a bit, and probably a little high on pot as well. Doesn't matter. My point is that you NEVER know what is going to happen, its a easy fix in case something does happen. And the windows will look super after you replace the glass. One less thing to worry about.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2batr View Post
I agree replace it with 1/8 " tempered glass. If you rebuild them ( which is a task) you might as well go with new safer glass. If you need pointers on rebuilding them PM me. Ed
I am definately keeping you on my list. I should be on the windows here soon if the weather holds. I have a padded work bench all set to safely work on each window (pad wrapped around an old spare door laid on top of some saw horses). I will be in touch with you soon as I cross this river!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
+1 on safer glass. I have done door and window work for 15+ years...when in doubt use tempered or lami.
Thanks! I am definately going with new glass, no reason to risk injury especially when we have 3 little boys!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
He was never my friend, but rather a friend of my uncles, they had been drinking quite a bit, and probably a little high on pot as well. Doesn't matter. My point is that you NEVER know what is going to happen, its a easy fix in case something does happen. And the windows will look super after you replace the glass. One less thing to worry about.
LOL! He probably doesn't remember much then! Only the fact he got a $2K bill from the doctor and a scar with some sort of story. I look at the windows and they have a lot of scrapping and cleaning anyway to make them look half decent. Easier to replace and not to mention the ease it will put my wife and I with our little guys. I like the idea too of tinting the windows for sun and security.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Undercover Symbols

The camper continually tells me stories from years past. After applying the paint remover the paint will start to bubble or soften in about 5 minutes or so, but after applying it I got some symbols and letters that showed up immediately. I quickly took a picture before the rest of the paint bubbled and I lost the symbols and lettering. With the paint removed, I see I did not lose the image as the image was originally taped onto the camper like the original Airstream red numbers. The picture is of an animated tepee and the lettering says 'Fraioson Tepee' next to it. I'm assuming this was a previous owner. Last picture shows the paint removal progress so far on the lower right side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000979.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	131568   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000987.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	131569  

Name:	P1000991.jpg