Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1956 - 1959 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Welcome, Jeremy, to the '58 Club. She looks like a real beauty.
Thank Mike for the welcome! I would of loved to live during 50's and 60's so my Cloud will have to suffice in taking me back a bit in time! I am sending over a PM here soon as I know you were interested in some of the interior parts.
MontanaAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Welcome to the 58 FC club. Mine is 8417 and is similar to yours based on the window conformation.
- Mark Twain

bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman View Post
Welcome to the 58 FC club. Mine is 8417 and is similar to yours based on the window conformation.
Thanks for your message. In my search of the forums I thought I found a couple other FC's that were very close to my number, great to see we are in the same field! Is your '58 finished or are you in the process of restoration?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Interior of the Cloud

Well, as they say in Montana ~ "as long as I have a warm place to lay my head I will be okay". This trailer was a fishing / hunting rig so the details of the inside were not too important to the previous owner. You can see the wear and tear on the floor with tiles broken. The back window broke (hence the temp. cardboard) as it had an 8 foot snow drift against it this last winter. The interior has definately seen better days but that is all about to change.

I am tearing everything out and starting from the ground up. I am selling the Princess Stove, the Krefft Fridge, the Glen-Air Furnace, sinks, toilet, cabinet hardware, the goucho couch, can-opener attached to the wall, original hot water tank, water faucets, etc. ~ just about everything. I've had several private messages so first come first serve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5109.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	128234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5090.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	128235  

Name:	IMG_5091.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	128236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5088.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	128237  

Old 04-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
No Snow = Time to tear/clean things up

Time to dig in as the snow has finally melted. The 2x4 board screwed to the front of the trailer was used as a very crud wiring harness / brace of sorts. The front aluminum panel is riddled with holes, not sure if I want to replace the whole panel or patch/rivet it up.

I also went after the algae buildup on the cap and rock shield so my wife felt a little more comfortable looking at it in the driveway. My 2 year old son is helping (he has tools in hand ), a boy after dad's own heart. Last pic shows the board removed and the front cleaned up from the algae.

Where would I get another window rock shield? I am not really keen on the green color.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4772.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	128249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4778.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	128250  

Name:	IMG_4780.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	128251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4790.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	128252  

Old 04-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
They are never "finished" but all the hard work is behind me. You can see pictures of my process here:

Paladin Home Page/Merriman/Airstream
- Mark Twain

bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #27
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Congrats Jeremy!! That is a beauty of a FC. The late fifty's produced some great trailers that were well thought out and designed. welcome and plunge right in. Take more pictures than you ever think you'll need before you tear things apart and as you remove items. Ask your questions, we're all ears and eyes.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
So, it looks like the WBCCI number for the last owners active in the club was 4821. You might find out more about your trailer's history (such as which caravan(s) it traveled in, etc.) by posting that number in the WBCCI thread where the kind folks with historic documents look things like that up. I think this is the thread for that:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...-19191-10.html

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Congrats Jeremy!! That is a beauty of a FC. The late fifty's produced some great trailers that were well thought out and designed. welcome and plunge right in. Take more pictures than you ever think you'll need before you tear things apart and as you remove items. Ask your questions, we're all ears and eyes.

Brad
FF
I think that last part says a lot: there is also a vicarious thrill for the rest of us to see someone's project as it evolves and comes together. Then we'll want to see it in person, at a rally!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman View Post
They are never "finished" but all the hard work is behind me. You can see pictures of my process here:

Paladin Home Page/Merriman/Airstream
WOW! Absolutely beautiful! I showed your pics to my wife so she can visualize how wonderful ours will look when we do our restoration. We spend a ton of time in Bozeman, loved seeing the rally pics!

Kind of like my home, the list is never really finished, always something to work on!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:

Brad
FF
Thank you Brad! I'm a fan of your advice and knowledge. I've read quite a few of your posts over time and I look forward to pulling your ear when I have some questions! I've taken about 300 pics already and haven't even dug in quite yet!

Jeremy
Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
WBCCI number 4821

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
So, it looks like the WBCCI number for the last owners active in the club was 4821. You might find out more about your trailer's history (such as which caravan(s) it traveled in, etc.) by posting that number in the WBCCI thread where the kind folks with historic documents look things like that up. I think this is the thread for that:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...-19191-10.html
Thank you so much! With my love for history, this info would be great to have. I posted a message so I look forward to learning as much as I can. I have an original Caravan sticker in the front window I am going to try to preserve during my restoration. If only the walls could talk!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4679.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	128350  
Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I think that last part says a lot: there is also a vicarious thrill for the rest of us to see someone's project as it evolves and comes together. Then we'll want to see it in person, at a rally!
Now you are making me nervous! I will take lots of pics, no doubt about that! I can see my first rally a bit nail-biting but I have to start somewhere! I have many years ahead to evolve my new found addiction, er... uhh passion.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #34
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaAIR View Post
I have an original Caravan sticker in the front window I am going to try to preserve during my restoration.
Cool! I've not seen that one. Clean that glass really good and take another shot straight on as this image needs to be preserved not only for you but for the caravan history album. Also, if needed, I can re-create that image if you aren't able to preserve this decal /sticker.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Cool! I've not seen that one. Clean that glass really good and take another shot straight on as this image needs to be preserved not only for you but for the caravan history album. Also, if needed, I can re-create that image if you aren't able to preserve this decal /sticker.

Brad
FF
Thanks Brad, I will definately get the glass cleaned up well and get a great shot of this sticker / decal. I really would like to see if I can keep it but if I can't I will get in touch with you for a reproduction of it!

I wish the previous owners did not scrape all the stickers off the inside of the door-in-door, clear evidence the whole door had stickers from the residue.

Cheers ~ Jeremy
Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaAIR View Post
Now you are making me nervous! I will take lots of pics, no doubt about that! I can see my first rally a bit nail-biting but I have to start somewhere! I have many years ahead to evolve my new found addiction, er... uhh passion.
Hey, I had the same experience at our first rally, but a lot of people have been through what you're doing- take your time so you're happy with the end result. I learned that the hard way. And, as you say, you have many years for your passion and obsession to evolve. Process is good.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Globie, your Avatar freaks me out.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Globie, or Globey was a character from Pee Wee's Playhouse: "A spinning globe with a pair of arms at the base and a large face in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Globey spoke with a French-sounding accent and would often help Pee-wee out with geography, language, astronomy, or history questions. He sometimes hung out with Pterri, and, like Pterri, acted in the manner typical of a young child." It seemed an apt name for a number of reasons.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Globie, or Globey was a character from Pee Wee's Playhouse: "A spinning globe with a pair of arms at the base and a large face in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Globey spoke with a French-sounding accent and would often help Pee-wee out with geography, language, astronomy, or history questions. He sometimes hung out with Pterri, and, like Pterri, acted in the manner typical of a young child." It seemed an apt name for a number of reasons.
That settles it, definitely looks like I am in the right place! All that aluminum looks like it gets to us! Love the avatar, I remember Mr. Globie! Fantastic!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Billings , Montana
Just saw a 1948 Wee Wind for sale! Everything has been done on it except restoring/updating the interior. Oh my, it is beautiful. How does one value something so rare? I saw one totally restored / updated that sold for $48K, so maybe this one for sale would be a great deal!!

Tags
1958, flying cloud, montana, restoration, vin